New Beer Sunday (Week 663)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I was hoping for a more hateful response from you. :slight_smile: I am totally kidding about everything of course. Cheers.

2. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,364) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's hard to believe we're nearly a week into November already. While the year may be coming to a conclusion, the new beer that's easily available continues to assault my senses and wallet like never before. I tend to get back logged with NBS entries some weeks and the cut is determined by usually drinking the hop forward ones as soon as possible which then tends to clog the fridge with high abv. stouts and barleywines for later dates. A terrible problem to have! With that said I'm starting off deviating from the norm.

This one was purchased just over 24 hours ago at Binny's south loop location. While we started getting Central Waters this year in Indiana, the distribution can be static at times. I jumped on this 2017 Brewer's Reserve Belgian Style Quad aged in oak bourbon barrels when I saw several cases on the floor. There's no abv. on the label and I'm going to pour it in a 12oz. snifter to see what awaits us?

It pours a light caramel brown with a ruby tint. A couple centimeters of 'dirty' off white foam is left along with a little lacing. The smell is figs, dates, plums, bourbon, toffee, brown sugar and vanilla. Taste is toffee, vanilla, oak, figs, dates, melted brown sugar and some dark cherry in the finish. The feel is thin and creamy with a slight tongue tingle from the carbonation.

I love a good quad but don't drink too many for no particular reason. The Brewer's Reserve series is easily available and priced friendly so this was a must try. I really enjoyed it and think it may have the best barrel profile of the series that I've tried to date. The decadent dark fruit melds extremely well with the candi sugar, bourbon, vanilla and oak making for one decadent dessert-like beer. My score of 4.46 /rDev +7% is proof of my positive experience.

A foggy, mild start here with intermittent storms means it's going to be a day of indoor activities along with some football on the tube. I'll probably begin with digging out the Christmas decorations.:open_mouth: I like to start early and be finished by Thanksgiving so I can relax and enjoy the festivities free of stress! Have a great Sunday of new beer adventures. I leave with a photo shot after my morning followed by the official scorecard.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/652/248025/?ba=Prager62#review

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 52 others like this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

On reflection I think you're correct I just believe honesty is the first rule of reviewing.

#43 Squire, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  4. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,770) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Jp casper white stout . Color was clear gold orange . Aroma was an odd mix of bread,sweet white chocolate,dried fruit. Taste was identical but sometimes the chocolate came off a bit like an artificial additive. Well carbonated and was near perfect on that level. I would wrap this up by saying I'm very glad I got a can and very happy I didn't get a whole six pack[​IMG]

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 44 others like this.
  5. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,126) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS and thanks @cjgiant for the thought provoking opening today. I look forward to this thread every week now for a decade, It is common for me to be on the look out for an offering to share with the group. The participation of so many thoughtful contributors has helped in purchasing decisions. So keep up the good work everyone.
    Today's offering is from Brewery Ommegang an oatmeal stout with what I suspect is house yeast. Nice dry finish, some lovely esters in the nose, but could use some more body IMO.
    Cheers all

Lovely, Dark And Deep Oatmeal Stout

Brewery Ommegang
    Oatmeal Stout / 5.30% ABV

3.92/5 rDev +3.4% | Score: 3.79
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from an undated 12 oz bottle into the test glass.
    A - Chalkboard dark color, during the pour a beautiful cascade of carbonation forms an mocha colored froth. The glass is coated with small spotted lacing.
    S - Starts with bakers chocolate and medium roasted malts, a bit of pepper, and a slight Belgian yeast all blend well
    T - Dark malt, some fig, and black pepper, cocoa, the flavors stay in a tight band,even with some warming. Belgian yeast plays a big role in this offering.
    M - Thin in body, effervescent carbonation drives to a dry finish.
    O - A very good winter offering from Ommegang, I like the use of this yeast in an oatmeal stout, that said. A bit more body would add to the experience.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 44 others like this.
  6. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (5,977) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A- Pours a clear amber color with nice tan head and nice lacing.

A- Subtle citrus and pine.

T- The taste follows the nose with hints of citrus and pine, nice bitterness.

M- Medium bodied with malty note.

O- A decent DIPA, but not one of my favorites from the pack.

7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I was.

smanson56, Premo88, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  8. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,888) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #2. Thanks for this @larryi86 !

Five Leaves Left (ii) - Tired Hands
    Idaho 7 & Wildflower Honey IPA
    Canned 10/9/17 (27 days ago)
    Score: 3.78 (-11.5% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - Gentle pour still results in a massive 3-finger head, almost overflowing the glass. Liquid is a very dark turbid yellow/brown color.

S - Very sweet. Honey, not much else going on here.

T - Bubble gum, honey. Very sweet front. Earthy middle. Low bitterness.

F - Very high carb for an ipa. Medium-light body.

O - This reminds me of the Pineal batches that used too much honey. It's way too sweet. And the hop used really doesn't complement the honey at all.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 46 others like this.
  9. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,561) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

MY GOD THAT STEIN SKELETON!!!!!!

meefmoff, 2beerdogs, bret717 and 10 others like this.
  10. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (793) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Good early afternoon to all the NBS followers and thanks to CJ for the great early morning start. I'm hoping that all my fellow NE residents have their power back on from the storm that came through the area early last Monday morning. Really only a minor blip on the radar here at the home front as we invested in a standby generator about 10 years ago. If it wasn't for the sound of the generator starting at about 3:00 am on Monday morning I probably wouldn't have known the power had gone out. Our power was out for about 2 days and there was no cable or internet for about 3 days. But all is back to normal here at this time. We spent most of yesterday cleaning up some downed trees around the back of the house.
    In my search for a new beer for today it lead me to a beer that I thought I had checked in before but in checking my checkins there was no record of this beer. So my new beer for this Sunday is Barrel Aged Unearthed from Long Trail Brewing.
    [​IMG]
    This beer pours a dark black color with little to no head.
    The nose is soft bourbon with some dark malts coming through.
    The taste is smooth with nice bourbon overtones not a lot of other things going on in this but the roasted malts and the bourbon.
    The mouthfeel to me is a little thinner than I like to see in a barrel aged stout. A thicker mouthfeel would add a lot to this beer.
    Okay so where do I stand with this beer? If you like the bourbon taste then you will like this beer. Other than that there really isn't much going on for me. But then again I like a good bourbon so to me this is a more than drinkable beer. I would buy this again and probably keep a few bottles around to see how it ages. This will probably rate somewhere in the 3.75 to 4.00 range for me.
    Cheers to all!

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 45 others like this.
  11. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (12,533) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Continued New Coup de Boule(vard) Beer Sunday (Week 663)!

My second entry for the day was not "new" per se, but it was a new serving style for yours truly. I originally reviewed it on-tap in its hometown at a time when serving style was still a thing on this site. Today, however, is all bottles, all day, yo!
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/1260/?ba=woodychandler#navigation
    [​IMG]

Off to another unexplored beer of theirs:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/65113/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

before revisiting another old friend, but this time from a bottle, rather than on-tap/draft:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/2094/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

I am now off to the annual Greek Food Bazzar & the procurement of some Saranac beers, but I'll be returning (hopefully) before the day's end.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 39 others like this.
  12. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Hateful? Moi? :slight_smile:

13. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,629) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

This might be the first time for two new beers on NBS. I went over to SoMe, our local brewery, to pick up some Pendulate, their recently (yesterday) released whiskey sour. I also got a crowler of Syd's Suds, a cream ale.

Pretty gold color with a modest white head. A smattering of lace.
    Aroma of sweet malt and piney/earthy hops.
    The taste followed the nose. Biscuit taste up front, followed by earthy/piney hops.
    Light-bodied, goes down quickly

[​IMG]

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 40 others like this.
  14. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

Pecan Pie Brown: Two ounce pour in a snifter. Decent head and retention. The nose was very brown sugary, no other way to describe it. The pecans weren't terribly apparent on the palate, but it does remind of a pecan pie. 4/5, would drink again if offered.

Alien Church: Pretty standard NEIPA. Nothing really stood out to me, but it was a very good example of the style. 4/5, would drink again.

Snorkel: If you've had Spon, this is very much in the same ballpark. On the palate, the house yeast strain is very apparent and there's an added earthy funkiness that I picked up as raw red onions but others had different perceptions. It faded with time, however. 3/5, although subject to change if any future tastings give me something different.

Alter Ego: You wouldn't know this was a Julius variation drinking it. The citrus aspects are much subdued, but not so much as to be subtle. 4.5/5, this is truly excellent.

Leggo My Ego: This is, frankly, the strangest IPA I have ever tasted. On the first sniff, there's a huge vanilla presence that never fades. On the palate, the massive vanilla is joined by maple syrup. There's no apparent bitterness in this one. 5/5, I wish I had a case.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 22 others like this.
  15. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I've never seen a teku with a phallus before. :grimacing:

smanson56, Premo88 and CanConPhilly like this.
  16. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

I want to give @crow121 a huge thanks for the opportunity with this beauty. I’ve been picking away at your box and today seemed appropriate for a new beer AND a new hop to me as well. Vic Secret. It’s interesting to say the least.

Appearance is a cloudy and hazy ipa.

Aroma is pineapple, pine and another tropical fruit I can’t pin down.

Taste is interesting. Kind of backwards from the nose. Huge pine and earthiness with pineapple and accompanying fruits trying to break out.

Feel is soft and supple as you’d expect from the style.

Overall an excellent ipa and I’m grateful for the opportunity. Would give my left arm to try this beer with Citra or Galaxy hops. We can all wish....can’t we?

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 41 others like this.
  17. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

A- Pours a nice copper color with nice head and very nice lacing.

A- Very nice balanced citrus hints.

T- The taste follows the nose with an added nice hoppiness.

M- Medium bodied with nice carbonation and a a distinctiveness bitterness.

O-Nicely balanced and my favorite from the Fresh Hop variety pack.

18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Spotted Cow my first and only beer from New Glarus Brewing in Wisconsin.This bottle was a gift from a friend. A great gift to get because Spotted Cow is a fine brew. It pours a pale gold color with a thick white head that hangs around and leaves nice lacing. There is a nice fruity aroma.I pick up a nice melon flavor and a little bitterness in the taste.The finish is off dry. This is a very enjoyable easy drinking ale. To bad you can only buy it in Wisconsin.

19. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,078) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I save beers I'm excited about for NBS all the time. There are some exceptions though...

[​IMG]

Had @larryi86, @CanConPhilly and some non-BAs over last night to crack open some NBS BIF beers from the incredibly generous @2beerdogs, as well as from @SammyJaxxxx and @FFFjunkie.

A few highlights... Grey Monday smelling like brownie batter and hazelnuts; Mash & Coconut with that toasty coconut showing in the aftertaste; Sour in the Rye with Kumquats having perfect balance of sourness, spiciness and fruit; and Sans Pagaie being straight-up cherry pie deliciousness. Thanks again, Derek.

Right now I'm sipping on this tasty DIPA from @CanConPhilly....

[​IMG]

Frost Lush

It pours a somewhat hazed golden yellow with three-plus fingers of airy, yellow-tinted head that leave thick, messy lacing.

Mild aroma of sweet pineapple and orange, pine and white pepper.

Taste contains a similar mix, but with the pine at the forefront and some nice hop bitterness countering the sweetness.

Medium bodied with a strong prickliness to the feel.

Very enjoyable all around. And going great with some great cheeses Matt brought over as well. Cheers! And go Eagles!

Roguer, meefmoff, utopiajane and 42 others like this.
  20. crow121

crow121 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2010 Maryland

They actually did this beer with galaxy last time. It's def one of the better IPAs burley oak does

smanson56, Premo88 and FFFjunkie like this.
  21. VABA

Society

:grinning: My I be cursed with too much beer! :grinning:

But, seriously, I would seek out Two Juicy as it was much better imho (granted a different type of beer).

22. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #3. Penis gourd moved to be more pleasing to the eyes of @zid .

Dock Street - Bean 2 Bean
    Espresso Stout - 6% abv
    No visible canning date
    Score: 4.13 (+0.5% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - Gentle pour results in 1.5 finger light brown head that sticks around. Very dark brown, almost black body.

S - Holy coffee! Also getting some molasses, sugar, dark chocolate, and light booze.

T - Dark chocolate-covered coffee beans. Not as sweet as I had feared. A good amount of roast.

F - Medium body. Wish it was a wee bit creamier.

O - one of the best I've ever had from Dock Street. Since they don't distro out of SEPA I tend to include their beers frequently as trade extras. This one will definitely find a place in several boxes.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 40 others like this.
  23. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Thanks again for having us! That was a memorable night of firsts. Very generous of you to share all those beasts with us.

24. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

That beer with galaxy would truly define sex in a glass... cheers!

25. Riff

Riff Champion (877) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Good afternoon NBS!

Enjoying a 4 day weekend here, much needed. Planning to catch Thor 3 at our local Alamo Drafthouse later on, looking forwards to the beer list there and of course the movie.

You know, the idea of a NB(M-S) at first sounds cool, but I think it would take away from the point of this thread, dilute it too much. I like going out and finding a new beer to try, to share. It's something fun, and a part of my weekend routine. Helps me to feel more relaxed for the weekend to come, and that's not just the beer.

Anyways, on to why we're here, there beer. This year one of my favorite locals, Blue Mountain, is celebrating their 10th anniversary. As part of that they released several new beers, the latest being the one I have today, Adambeor. There's no specific category listed for this beer, other than being inspired by beers out of Dortmund, Germany. Not to spoil the review much, but I'd love this at a holiday dinner table. Feels like it would just meld in right.

Pours a dark brown color with a several fingers thick, light tan head that takes it's time to slowly fade away. Smell is a little faded, spice, dark fruit, and a little malt. Taste is dark fruit, raisins, plum, a little spice towards the end. Sweet but not overpoweringly so. Smooth, a little on the creamy side, certainly doesn't feel like it's ABV. Drinks very well, certainly would work well as a holiday beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 42 others like this.
  26. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,093) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Greetings, NBS friends and family! Today's (first) new beer is a strange offering, and one I've been saving: Funky Buddha's Rum Barrel-Aged Sweet Potato Casserole.

[​IMG]

First, some back story. I think the base beer is an interesting brew all its own; FB does a great job imitating the flavors of a real Southern sweet potato casserole. However, I wouldn't say it's a legitimately great beer. My sister, mom, and wife universally hated it when we did our own little six-beer taster last time I visited home.

When I found myself visiting the brewery in Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale as far as I'm concerned), this was the rare beer they had available by the bottle for purchase. I grabbed two: one for me, and one to send out as a mystery beer review for @richj1970 as part of NBS BIF #6.

Funny enough, my review is only the second full review of this beer so far; Richard's was the first. We have a NBS monopoly on this beer! :wink:

OK, so enough back story: beer review time!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31805/271165/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.04 / 0.0%

A very surprising 0.0% rDev.

The nose has an almost neutrally boozy, medicinally alcoholic aspect. It's identifiable as rum if you know to look for it, but otherwise just comes across as some kind of high spirit. Behind, there's lots of brown sugar, toffee, and caramel; overripe fruit, raisins, and prunes; maple; and oak. It smells quite a bit like Samuel Adams Utopias, or the Bruery's anniversary series. Sweet potato and vanilla are detectable on deeper inhales.

On the palate, this is a very pleasant overall blend. Rum, brown sugar, and caramel are up front, along with dark fruity tones, primarily raisins. The second half gives way to a remarkably on-point imitation of the beer's namesake, and the rum dutifully fades into the background - or perhaps melding perfectly into the overall picture, contributing to the profile without drawing attention to itself.

Cinnamon, sweet potato, cream, and vanilla really carry the day, and if that doesn't sound pleasant ... then you're probably not a Southerner. :grinning: It's quite pleasant overall, in fact, and while this is a sweet brew, it doesn't go to far (as some FB offerings have done in the past).

Just sweet enough to be a sipper, but the sticky, medium-light feel make this a very, very easy brew to savor and enjoy.

I'm not sure I'd want a ton of this at once. It would make a fantastic dessert beer after a big Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

Cheers, NBSers!

27. aoampm

aoampm Champion (865) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

Good Sunday all! Another foggy morning here and I'm not talking about the weather. Some hair of the dog is in order I suppose. Thanks goes to @SammyJaxxxx for this one.
    [​IMG]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

12oz bottle poured into a Teku glass. Not sure the bottle date.

Big time vanilla, maple, bread pudding, bourbon, hazelnut. Amazing nose!

Taste is very similar to the nose. Flavors of maple, vanilla, hazelnut, bread pudding, marshmallow, fudge, molasses, roasted malt, sweet bourbon. I can't say I am getting any bacon but it tastes incredible.

Feel is great. Thick, chewy, viscous.

Really blown away by this one. Didn't know what to expect but I think this is a stunning beer.

4.8/5 rDev +10.1%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cheers all!

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 43 others like this.
  28. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,770) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Whole hog espresso stout. Solid black color, a little thin with a dry bitter finish. Aroma is coffee bean and roasted malt. Taste is identical,they went bitter and dry not sweet with this stout but it works once I got used to it. I would definitely have this again,not spectacular but a very good stout[​IMG]

Roguer, Ozzylizard, aoampm and 38 others like this.
  29. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,093) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I had a really similar experience with this beer, with an almost identical rating as you (3.74).

I really enjoy their classic nitro milk stout; on tap or visiting family, it's a reliable, tasty brew. Based on reviews and recommendations, I really expected to like this, but I'm oh-for-two on it (and I don't expect to give it a third at bat).

With me, there was too much stale cardboard. All I can think is that it's a highly hopped stout, like Yeti or Storm King, and consequently needs to be enjoyed fresh for best results. There are enough positives to the beer to show a lot of promise, but I just can't get behind it the same as others.

Ozzylizard, 2beerdogs, VABA and 8 others like this.
  30. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,007) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Thanks for taking the time. Cheers!

There was a little bit in Virginia Craft Beer magazine about the Blue Mountain’s 10th anniversary, including this beer. If I recall correctly, it is claimed is as an Adambier in style as well - a style you explained as defunct from the Dortmund region. The founder/brewer said he wanted to have fun doing a beer he wanted to do, commercial viability be damned. Apparently he worked with a UVa professor in coming up with the recipe. Maybe one of our home brew or history officianados can clue us in more in said style.

2beerdogs, smanson56, frozyn and 4 others like this.
  31. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I was going to open a new beer during the second half of the Giants game. However, the level of play put the kibosh on that. So instead it is real cheap vodka. A: Clear N: Medicinal T: Horrific MF: Burns the mouth, nose and eyes O: Perfect accompaniat to this turd of a Giants season.
    I guess I need to start rooting for Cleveland to end a couple

Roguer, aoampm, strohme2 and 21 others like this.
  32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

not so BREAKING NEWS!!!!!
    There's a new bottling of Guinness, the 200th Anniversary Export Stout (200 years in America). I read about this a while back and found a sixer today.
    This is a lovely looking deep black/brown with some slight red edges. The nose reveals the requisite roastiness, with some herbal notes that are hard to tag..like menthol, wintergreen, spearmint, lemon balm, but roasty, malty chocolateness. This brew has a notable sharpness at entry that is pleasant, kinda crispy with the bittersweet chocolate. This beer is like an herbal health tonic good for what ales you.. This is not a big chewy mouthful of dark beer, but a highly drinkable nod to a great long history of brewing. I likes it and will buy more.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, aoampm and 35 others like this.
  33. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,247) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to @cjgiant for getting us underway today.

In answer of your question, @cjgiant, I often don't wait for Sunday, especially when it's something on draught, but I still like to share any new beers I have had, I very much enjoy the social or community aspects of NBS.

Today, I totally negated the extra hour of sleep thing by waking up at around 0430. This being, essentially, my Saturday, I was hoping for a few more zzzs. Right now it's just above freezing, and a wintry mix of rain and snow is falling. So much for fall in the Inland NW. Our first snow was on Friday, and didn't amount to much. There's maybe an inch of wet, slick snow on the ground right now.

As usual, I started my consumption of new beers early. Yesterday, after work I split this Double Galaxy (courtesy of @WesMantooth) with a friend:
    [​IMG]
    Truly an outstanding beer, and deserving of whatever hype it garners. I will definitely try to seek it out whenever able.

While visiting my friend, I also had a pour of the oak-aged vanilla variant of World Wide Stout:
    [​IMG]
    Whoa! 2nd strongest beer I've ever had. Not sure I'd have made it through a full bottle's worth and gotten home, but the 6oz or so pour was divine.

Speaking of home, I knocked out a crowler of this Ohio IIPA (again, courtesy of @WesMantooth):
    [​IMG]
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28290/113679/?ba=woemad#review
    While not quite how I like the style, still a very good beer. I believe I have finally knocked out the IPAs of Wes's assault upon my porch, so I'll be back later with something different. Maybe a stout, maybe a sour. Who knows?

Roguer, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 43 others like this.
  34. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #4. Also my first beer from this brewery.

Aeronaut - Hop Hop and Away
    American Pale Ale - 4.6% abv
    Canned 9/28/17 (38 days ago)
    Score: 3.94 (+1.5% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 1 finger white head recedes fully in 2 minutes, leaving no lacing. Body is medium yellow.

S - bubblegum sweetness, plus some floral notes. Very unique nose.

T - Grassy/earthy hops. Some bubblegum sweetness in the taste too. Moderate bitterness.

F - medium-high carb. Moderately drying.

O - More of a traditional APA with a small NE influence. Reminds me of Daisy Cutter, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, aoampm and 36 others like this.
  35. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,218) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Greetings from balmy Tennessee and thanks to @cjgiant for another great start to NBS. A fun but strange weekend here - absolutely beautiful colors and skies outside with near-record temps in the low 80s. In my mind, it's like the experience with a black IPA or a blonde stout - looks are deceiving and can mess with your mindset.
    I actually picked this new local one up last week and saved it for NBS as it looked interesting:

Roots - a Double IPA with Carrots, Mantra Artisan Ales, Franklin, TN
    [​IMG]

Love the look of this one - a deep amber-orange color with moderate haze and a large, frothy tan head. The foam lasted for several minutes before reluctantly settling. The aroma was earthy with faint citrus and floral tones. I didn't get carrot or vegetables which was fine with me. This tasted like an old-school IPA: clean, sharp bitterness with lots of pine and more earthy notes. Medium carbonation and a nice medium feel. A fun beer that was not what I expected - a perfect fit to this weekend. Cheers!

Roguer, Ozzylizard, aoampm and 38 others like this.
  36. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,158) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

That's what I suspected...

37. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Disciple (305) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

Doing weekly reviews is my favorite part of NBS. I don't review too many beers during the rest of the week, but I always enjoy Sunday morning thinking about what I want to review for the day. I think if this was done daily it would become more of the WBAYDN thread. I am active in that one too but put more thought and effort into NBS.

Anyways onto my beer. Picked this one up recently from @zekeman17. I have had a few Treehouses before but this is the best.

[​IMG]

4.69/5 rDev +0.6%
    look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Cloudy orange body. Nice amount of head at first pour that gave way to a slight ring of head and some lacing while drinking the beer.

S: The hops come out in a tropical way. Picking out smells of oranges and grapefruit.

T: Getting the tropical smells again on the taste. Grapefruit, oranges, and mangos seem to be the largest tastes of the beer.

M: Very soft silky mouthfeel. Very little carbonation tingle coming out on the beer. Extremely smooth drinking beer. Possibly the best part of an awesome beer.

O: Top notch beer. Easily one the best beers I have drank. The mouthfeel, in my opinion, stands above the other areas of an phenominal beer.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, aoampm and 42 others like this.
  38. Riff

Riff Champion (877) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Thanks for the information, glad to hear that they were having fun with the brew. I really liked it, different and tasty. Hope they feel that they can do it again.

smanson56, cjgiant and Premo88 like this.
  39. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,355) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I’m always intrigued when folks try to “win” at beer.

Don’t we all win when we drink a beer we enjoy?

#RespectBeerAndWhatIsInSomeoneElsesGlass

LeRose, VABA, jkblr and 6 others like this.
  40. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,078) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Tired Hands Five Leaves Left (v) - Cascade and Jaggery

Another one from @CanConPhilly. It's, I presume, the same base beer that he reviewed above, but this is version five instead of version two. Different hops, and instead of wildflower honey this uses jaggery, which is typically a concentrated cane sugar (but can also be made from palm sugar or dates). In addition to being sweet, jaggery can also be spicy and a little buttery.

Five Leaves Left V is a cloudy, bright orange, juicy-looking beer with almost four fingers of yellow-tinted head that leave heavy lacing.

It has a very spicy, almost yeasty aroma, with some jungley, green, weedy notes beneath.

Sweet tasting with a honey-pineapple thing going up front, then a pretty strong medicinal note mid-palate. A touch of the spiciness from the nose comes into play on the backend along with some dull grassy bitterness, but it has an otherwise pretty clean finish.

Somewhat creamy with a nice pepperiness to the feel.

There's plenty of flavors in this one that play off each other in different ways and keep me interested. Another great beer from Tired Hands. Thanks, Matt.

Roguer, Ozzylizard, aoampm and 39 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.