New Beer Sunday (Week 685)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,973) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks for the intro, @cjgiant! My week was fairly eventful, traveling through England and Amsterdam. It's always fun trying beer from other places and visiting bottle shops in other countries. One of my favorite breweries over the past 6-8 months has been Lervig, and I was lucky to find a few Toasted Maple Stout left at a shop in Amsterdam. Therefore, I am cracking it open for this NBS.

Poured from a can at fridge temperature. Pours motor oil black with very little head. Very inviting appearance. Nose is what I was hoping for (and expecting) - Maple!! Apart from a lot of maple, I am getting a good amount of chocolate, cherries, and roasted malts. The taste is incredible. Slightly bitter burnt wood notes up front, but a beautiful complexity follows. A perfect balance of maple, wood, dark fruit, walnuts, fig, black licorice, and maybe a bit of tobacco. Really nicely done. Mouthfeel is super thick and creamy - very robust. Alcohol comes in at 12%, but it's hard to notice. There is a slight sting on the back end, but otherwise this is mellow in terms of alcohol heat. Overall, a wonderful maple stout that is worth seeking out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 43 others like this.
  2. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (762) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Looks like the weather this week will be better this week to get the remaining box your way!

2beerdogs, meefmoff, cavedave and 7 others like this.
  3. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,973) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Those are an amazing pair of beers for NBS!

kemoarps, cavedave, FFFjunkie and 6 others like this.
  4. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (762) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

That Bodhi was via @WesMantooth I noticed it on your wants and he had sent an extra my way so I thought I'd spread the love.

5. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,700) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Today's new beer was gifted to me by my good friend Dave (@SomethingClever). I've known Dave for five years (we met up through Beer Advocate), and he is one of the kindest people I've ever met. We meet up two or three times a year (Dave for some reason likes to visit this part of Maine), play some golf, drink some beer, and have a great time. So, from Dave, I'm drinking Bourbon County Brand Northwoods Stout. For those of you who may not know, this is a "stout aged in bourbon barrels with blueberry juice and almond extract added." It was bottled 10AUG17 and is 12.6% ABV.
    In the snifter it was black in color with no head, just a few bubbles making their way to the surface.
    The first thing that struck me about the aroma was how sweet it was. Fruity sweetness, but also some almond. Chocolate next, then bourbon and vanilla.
    The taste followed the nose. Blueberries, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla. Almonds were there, but in the background.
    A warming mouthfeel.
    A nice beer just shy of the too sweet side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 48 others like this.
  6. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,144) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

So far we're 2 for 2 on Griffin Claw mystery beers from Michigan senders. They obviously make some creative (and high quality) brews.

2beerdogs, MacMalt, strohme2 and 9 others like this.
  7. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,162) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New Secret Agent Sunday

My beer today is the blind beer from NBS BIF #007 and the 50 lb (second) box of beer from @kemoarps. It came dressed for spring here.
    [​IMG]
    I am currently working my way through this. As you can see, it is an unfiltered/cloudy gold beer. There was a substantial amount of fairly frothy white foam on top initially, and it started to fizzle out into nothing pretty quickl.
    There is definitely a citrus note to it. It’s an interesting fruit aroma that I have been sniffing over and over trying to pin down. I think it’s pineapple and lemon like with a little orange. It has a little sourness to it and a subtle dank hoppiness.

First taste is fairly tart, slightly puckering sour. Green apple Jolly Rancher like flavor and bite. Then it screams Gose with some saltines. There is a decent amount of citrus in the form of lemon, pineapple, and even mango maybe, but the sour overtone drowns it a bit.

I still swear this has an above normal hop profile. I get some of that dank that grassy green and the spicy mango. I may be confusing the slick resin feel with the salinity though. Otherwise, there is a lingering grain and coriander flavor with a touch of lactic acid.

It is soft bodied outside of the crisp bite up front and seems like a lower (4-5%) abv. I will finish it off and be back with the reveal.

[​IMG]

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 44 others like this.
  8. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,275) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Agreed. So far I’ve only tried 2 of their beers - this one and Norm’s Raggedy Ass IPA. Both were excellent!

strohme2, larryi86, FFFjunkie and 4 others like this.
  9. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,162) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

That’s the best part about this. Beer is for sharing. That’s why I always include extra of some of my favorites. Even better when they hitch a free ride across the country.
    Speaking of, @beertunes should have received a few bottles yesterday to share with the west coasters.

2beerdogs, kemoarps, frozyn and 14 others like this.
  10. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (958) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing, and thanks @WesMantooth !

Weather is looking great after Tuesday-ish. I plan on sending off my final box to @akatz821 this week as well!

11. Blackop555

Blackop555 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

[​IMG]

Thank you to @Dragginballs76 for this delicious crowler of Flava in your ear. I'd quite a bit of beer from Heist Brewery things to you. Amazing thing is that all of their beer taste different many times you can have one or two or more beer from breweries and they all taste basically the same but these ones are all unique. I'll be updating this later with I review. Drank this with some friends around 2 this morning.

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 39 others like this.
  12. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Renegade Free to Roam APA
    5.4% ABV

3.93/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a cervoise glass.

Look: A sort of pale, sunburnt golden straw body under a bubbly white head that leaves an airy collar and light film on top. Light spots of lacing.

Aroma: Really fragrant light pine and cedar, some tropical fruit notes - mostly pineapple.

Taste: The woody, pine flavors dominate up front while subtle apricot and pineapple emerge on the back end with a spicy hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium and dry.

Overall: Pulls no punches, it’s a solid APA with excellent label art.

Renegade seem to really push the envelope with their beers — they usually involve many flavors or adjuncts that catch the eye, but this one is just simple and straight forward which is what I like about it.

13. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Thank you both! Paris-Roubaix race day is a bit of a holiday for me. Love that race. In fact, I'm trying hard to be in France to watch the Roubaix stage of the Tour this year. Hope to enjoy many new European beers when I visit!

And now that the race has concluded and my favorite rider won and my favorite USA rider landed in the top 10, I'm thinking it's time for a celebratory beer! Although I'm out of imports, or at least cold ones.

14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Cheers, dude! Draggin took good care of me planting over one hundred ounces of Heist Brewery's work on my porch. I loved every ounce of it. I honestly believe it's comparable to Treehouse, Trillium, and Foley, three of my favorite NE IPA producers.

15. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,553) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Untold brewing east by northwest

4.23/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz canned on 3.8.18, opened 4.7.18

Printed on the bottom, “ open other end”

Pours a deep clear copper, some carbonation, bubbly off white pencil thin foam layer, some lacings

Fragrant piney aroma on the pour, whiff of malts, whiff of citrus, tangerine

Taste is piney hops, bit of spiciness,

Hop nibble, lingers nicely, not a sharp hop bite

Local brewer

Chipotle, LeRose, kemoarps and 35 others like this.
  16. Blackop555

Blackop555 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

Opened my eyes to a brewery i never heard of before. Quite highly rated ipas if that Uber quench keeps it up it's going to beat treehouse

17. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (2,066) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Earn Your Keep is a pale ale from West Kill Brewing, West Kill, (Catskill region) NY
    The pale yellow can pour presents a 1/2 cm foam cap. The aroma is of clementines. The flavor is delicate and includes tangerine and raspberries. There is a bit of hop bitterness. This is a very pleasant, slightly juicy pale ale with a moderately dry finish.
    [​IMG]

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 38 others like this.
  18. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,363) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good morning! Late start for me today. Mrs. Z went to G’ville yesterday for a long planned girls weekend to include the annual Spring Arts Festival there. Junior is out camping with a bunch of friends. I was left at home with the dogs. I can’t complain as I attended the awesome monthly bottle share yesterday afternoon/evening at my nearby watering hole and sampled many new to me beers, ate some pizza then walked home.

On the subject of new beers, I look forward every year to Westbrook’s Anniversary beer release. I was hanging out with @rmank in Charleston SC in January and the bar had bottles for sale. I had already looked around town and couldn’t find any, so whoohoo, I got a couple of the “7th Anniversary”, bottles, a Chocolate & Sea Salt Imperial Stout, 9.5% ABV, bottled 11/27/17:

Pours black at 54 degrees with ruby edges; quick, fizzy brownish/tan top; no retention or ring; small spots of lace and very thin legs both upon swirl...a rather uninspired start...3.75

Chocolate fudge and caramel nose (the chocolate aroma turns out to be far more pronounced than the taste). 4.25

Chocolate fudge, lite bitter roast, caramel, cocoa nibs and semi sweet chocolate; somewhat salty on the finish. 4.0

Medium full minus body leaning thin; slick feeling; no warmth or astringency; lite carbonation. 3.75

Overall, I may be rating this beer on the high side given my infatuation with Westbrook; don’t get me wrong, this is a solid stout with a lite salted chocolate candy linger; but it’s a one trick pony (2 if you count the salt); perhaps my anticipation/enthusiasm got the better of me, but my expectations were sadly not met; I’m guessing this could be a great base for a barrel aged version!; there I go again, ramping up anticipation...for now, this beer overall gets...4.0

Cheers and have a great Sunday!

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 41 others like this.
  19. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,888) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

@RedhawkPoke mystery beer time!

[​IMG]

L - trace hazelnut head atop a pitch black body. The head is gone in seconds. This must be a stout. Guessing barrel aged based on the head.

S - vanilla, hazelnut, good coffee, chocolate. Not getting any barrel effect on the nose, so my initial impression might be off.

T - oh my! Sweet vanilla, toffee, caramel, chocolate, coffee. A little pepper heat if I’m not mistaken. No booze at all so thinking non-BA adjunct stout.

F - full bodied, minimal carb.

O - I really dig this, but no idea what it is. My guess would be some sort of Roughtail stout, but I’m not going to look at the label until after I finish.

20. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (887) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Good Morning all NBSers!

Today is the day of the NBS BIF reveal, as so many have alluded to. I feel a bit bad about this, as I am reviewing the box I received from @cavedave (pictures below), but my box to my target hit a snafu, and won't be delivered until Tuesday! Ugh.

Onto the beer. Here's the haul (Altogether)

And here are the first 2 NBS reviews. The first (Crowler) was blind. Knew the brewery (happenstance), but not what was contained inside! The glass is from Dave too!

Poured with a heavy head. Guessing by the color either a belgian or something with a lot of yeast. Look was pretty orange, as indicated in picture.

Smell was a bit of funk. Not too much, but noticeable. I always equate this smell to off-putting, almost like feet or odd-cheese.

Taste was pleasant. Not distinct (i've not worked hard yet to try to discern lots of flavors with lighter beers), but very farmhouse or saison-y.

Mouthfeel was extremely dry. Almost like red-wine Chianti dry, not champagne-dry, which I get from GI's Sofie. Too dry given my druthers.

It was heavy carbed in terms of pour, but not in terms of how quick it dissipated or the associated mouthfeel.

Definitely not a high ABV beer - but I wouldn't expect it given the color and taste.

And the reveal...

A saison! I knew it!

21. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

And the reveal! I was close but failed on the maple @RedhawkPoke
    [​IMG]
    American Solera - Maple Dilemma

22. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,143) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

New Wine Barrel-Aged Old Ale Sunday:
    [​IMG]
    Saint Arnold's Bishop's Barrel No. 19, an old ale ("Christmas ale" on brewery website) with cherries aged in chardonnay barrels

Had this been one of them cool "blind" BIF beers I keep seeing, I'd have guessed this beer was a Jester King/gose-like concoction, for it has plenty of tart lemon and some of the funkiest brett I've ever come across. Funky like some wet grain sacks funky and very similar to Jester King's yeast profile.

The cherries are pretty strong, though the highlight of this beer isn't any individual note but the way the cherries, brett and wine barrel have mixed into a single presentation that's most like cherry cheesecake, especially in the nose. Cherry cheesecake or a strawberry tart. The flavor isn't quite that sweet, being a bit more like a semi-dry white wine lightly flavored with strawberries or cherries.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/312418/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.14 (+6.7% rDev)

I'm assuming the base beer is Saint Arnold's Christmas Ale. Once they add the brettanomyces, there's nothing left of that base in terms of picking out old ale-like notes (maybe a pinch of malt sweetness, but that's it).

Spring these days starts when I repot my three bougainvilleas:
    [​IMG]
    I repotted the triplets about three weeks ago, and that's probably the signal for spring for me these days, though @Squire nailed it when he mentioned pollen as a sign of spring.

Growing up, the first baseball practice (Pee Wee, Little, Senior Leagues then American Legion) always meant spring had sprung in my mind. I wasn't sure what signaled it now as I thought about @cjgiant's open — maybe the first charity golf scramble of the year here in Bryan-College Station, the Twin City Mission event, or the repotting of my plants? Or maybe it's that first day I notice all of the oak tree pollen pods bunched along the sidewalk, the slight yellow dusting across my car's windshield and that extra sneeze at work later that day.

Hope your Sundays are going well!

Cheers!

23. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,822) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Innis and Gunn kindred spirit
    Jet black color
    ..creamy,full ,above average body
    ..[​IMG]Aroma is roasted malt, black coffee,licorice,and coffee candy
    ..Taste is identical,a little sweet but pleasing not over powering
    ..Overall it is an excellent beer,the whiskey shows up in the aroma and taste but very slight. That actually worked as the base beer was very good and didn't need to be overpowered by any other flavor

24. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Has NBS ever had more posts than WBAYDN? It really should today.

2beerdogs, kemoarps, frozyn and 14 others like this.
  25. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #2...target of opportunity edition

[​IMG]

I went to a couple of breweries with my wife yesterday, and ended up eating lunch at Pro Pig. As with any time I stop in Waterbury, I have to take a trip across the street to Craft Beer Cellar. I was surprised to find 3 beers from Green Bench on hand. After seeing this one being enjoyed by @DoctorZombies on numerous occasions in WBAYDN I decided to bring a sixpack home. Now while the canned on date isn't great 01/26/18 it's no worse than I expect from a beer not distributed in this area normally.

Sunshine City IPA

Green Bench Brewing Co.
    American IPA / 6.80% ABV

4.04/5 rDev -0.7% | Score: 4.07
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L-The beer pours clear and golden with a full 3 finger white head. The head recedes to thin ring with a thicker central island. Lacing is excellent.
    N- The nose tropical in nature as you would expect from a beer called Sunshine City. I get sweet orange, papaya, and bit of peach. I suspect this would be fantastic in a fresh can. At this point it's only moderate in intensity.
    T- The taste is much like the nose with greater intensity. Bitterness is light and the beer finishes just shy of sweet. Again I suspect the age of the can has this leaning more to the sweet side than it would fresh. The tropical flavors are really tasty regardless.
    F- The mouthfeel on the beer is light and slick at the same time. The carbonation is very restrained. Something I could drink in multiples although the 6.8% abv might lead me to trouble in that event.
    O- A very pleasant and drinkable IPA. I'd like to find a fresher can at some point, but it is still very drinkable just the same.

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 42 others like this.
  26. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (887) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Next on the list - a Growler from @cavedave - Around the Bend by Suarez Family.

The picture kind of sucks, but I was trying to get the tag name in at the same time, and...well, the lighting sucks!

It's a porter - and it pours like one. Thin, almost like water, which from my experience is very characteristic. Heavy carb, which is nice. Almost gives the look of cola given the carb and consistency.

Smell was fairly typical of a porter - a light nuttiness, roast, and "dark" smells associated with coffee and chocolate, but not distinctly either.

Taste was straight up quintessential porter. Much like the nose, a light nuttiness, very roasty but not overpowering (thankfully), and notes of coffee and chocolate, but clearly neither were added. A little too bitter for me, but just about any straight stout/porter is.

Mouthfeel seems spot-on for a porter, but it left something to be desired given that I prefer stouts and enjoy a thicker mouthfeel/coating. I would not rate it lower as a result, just a statement.

This is probably one of the best examples of a porter I have ever had. Thanks @cavedave for the opportunity to try both! I'm unsure where to rate this one, but I'd say 4.25. The one prior, 4.0 as well.

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 40 others like this.
  27. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,259) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Sounds awesome! I gotta get me some Creature Comforts brews!
    Is that a Twilight book I see on that lower shelf...?:flushed::wink::crazy_face:

28. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (958) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Being as they're alphabetized by author - I surely fuckin' hope not. :wink:

I'm still hungover. This is me this morning.

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Premo88 and 12 others like this.
  29. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (2,095) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Thanks for starting us off this week, @cjgiant! Happy NBS to all of you... today I have two new beers to share with the virtual tavern-goers in this thread. They are both breakfast stouts and they are both by the same brewery: Lefty's Brewing Co. from Greenfield, Massachusetts.

Though the brewery's beers don't seem to garner great ratings on this site, I have had pretty good experiences with them thus far. In particular, I'm a huge fan of their Big Brekkie stout, which features coffee, maple syrup, oats, bacon and cocoa nibs. Both the beer I'm about to review and its bigger brother (which I'll be reviewing later) have ingredients in common with Big Brekkie, so I'm going to approach both as if they're kind of "deconstructed" versions of that beer.

This first one clocks in at 7.2% ABV and is their Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

[​IMG]

The pour here is that of an intensely dark and rich looking stout, capped off with a few fingers of decently long-lasting head that comes in at kind of an ecru color. It's not quite khaki nor mocha, but a bit more on the pale side of hues that beer head can be other than straight-up white. The surface is totally hazed over by this foam as well, and the head seems to leave behind a surprising little bit of head with some great legs as well. Liking this so far, but there's likely much more to be discovered.

The nose is really reminding me of dark chocolate covered granola bars... like, almost to a T. I get that dry and dusty scent of rolled oats in there with a heaping helping of baker's cocoa and cocoa powder rounding things out. Not much roast or coffee notes here at all (alright maybe a little bit of mocha), but I guess that's expected as they push coffee pretty hard in Big Brekkie and likely want to separate these beers in their repertoire.

The flavor profile is very heavy on the smooth chocolate note as well, but here it seems to come across a little bit more like, I dunno... Nesquik? You know, that powdered chocolate mix you use to make chocolate milk? Yeah, very similar to that. Less chewy than I want it to be, with a slightly watery backend that feels a bit unfulfilling to my palate. I wish this were a little bit more rich... it could really play up the decadent heftiness of oats much more intensely, and it would be a lot better if that were the case. Sadly, it's not, and even though the appearance and nose were quite good, this isn't really hitting the spot for me. Hope that the next one I'm going to crack does a bit more for me.

About to dive into the world of Far Cry 5 on PS4 today... time to liberate some rural Montanans from a crazy religious cult! Cheers!

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 40 others like this.
  30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Well, I'll drink another if I hafta.

LeRose, kemoarps, frozyn and 11 others like this.
  31. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 California

Hello and good morning (at least to me in CA) BA, NBS. I hope this will be the start of a good week for everyone. What better way to kick off the week than by sharing some new beers? I had the privilege of having some very exceptional offering this past weekend, and I am very glad to share them with you. Cheers NBS!

[​IMG]
    My first beer I am sharing today is one that I have been wanting to try for quite some time. With that said, yes I was very excited to finally be trying Perennial's Abraxas, but in my opinion, it fulfilled all my hopes and desires. Here is what I thought of it:
    Poured from 750mL bottle into 20oz Imperial Snifter. Bottles on 11/21/17.

Look: 4.5
    Pours pitch black, and has appearance similar to that of pouring motor oil. As the beer sits in the glass collectively, it is still pitch black. From a fairly non-vigorous pour, I achieved about 3 fingers worth of a chestnut-dark tan head, which dissipated rapidly. There is a bubbly ring that remains around the edge of the glass, but not much residual lacing.

Smell: 4.75
    Cinnamon upfront, with a little bit of a sugary backbone which reminds be of a churro. Apart from cinnamon, I can pick up on some roasted malts, chocolate, a little vanilla and some coffee-ish smell. Knowing that ancho chili peppers are in the beer, the more I get a nose on it, the more I am able to detect a peppery smell that distinguishes itself from the cinnamon. Damn, what a great smelling stout.

Taste: 4.75
    Follows the nose, with a slight more emphasis on peppers than the nose leads on. Upfront, loads of cinnamon flavor is present. Chocolate from the cacao nibs is evident as well. The ancho chili taste is detected as I drink the beer, and as it goes down. There is a heat to the beer that is without a doubt from the peppers. The heat isn't overly done though, and I would not call it spicy. Everything is well blended, with no astringent tastes. I would say though that for someone who isn't a fan of cinnamon, this probably won't be the stout for you, since cinnamon takes center stage. I love cinnamon, so no wonder I am loving this beer. Booze is completely masked.

Feel: 4.5
    Really nice and thick viscosity to this beer, which is typical what I have tried of Perennial's stouts. The beer has a heavy feeling on the tongue with a medium embodiment. Leaves a sticky residue coating on your tongue. Carbonation is very low. Very easy drinking.

Overall: 4.75
    I loved this beer. The cinnamon though seemingly strong, worked very well with the ancho chilis, while the chocolate sweetness balanced both aspects out. As I got further towards finishing this beer, it was a little more sweeter, but still very enjoyable. I loved this beer, and I will forsure seek out again.

My Final BA Score: 4.71

[​IMG]
    Up next is another offering from one of my current favorite breweries, Revision located in Reno, Nevada. I was looking forward to trying this beer, and it did not let me down. Let's dive in.
    Poured from 16oz can into 20oz Sauvin glass. Canned on 3/21/18

Look: 4.25
    Bright yellow in color, with hazy appearance. Resembles that of pineapple juice once poured. As I poured, I achieved about two fingers worth of a frothy white head, which didn't stick around for long. Moderate amount of residual lacing left on glass.

Smell: 4.5
    Full of fruit and character. I get an array of fruits. As I take a hefty whiff, I pick up on the following: lemongrass, lemon, orange, pineapple, papaya, grapefruit, peach, guava, passionfruit, apricot, mango, peach and pear. Hop profile is minimal. I pick up more of an earthy and floral smell rather than a typical hop-dominant smell. I think this is a really pleasant smelling beer.

Taste: 4.5
    Follows the nose, and still remains full of character. Taste seems to be in order of the nose as well, with lemongrass, orange, pineapple, papaya, grapefruit, peach and guava notes coming to mind. The floral taste is evident in the residual taste left in my mouth. There are no astringent flavors in this beer. Its really a good tasting offering. Taste is full of a fruit and floral concoction, and finishes light and crisp.

Feel: 4.25
    Medium in body and somewhat light on the tongue. Low levels of carbonation, giving the beer a really soft feel for a DIPA.

Overall: 4.5
    Revision has been really knocking it out of the park with their hazy IPAs. This beer is no exception. For a double, it is smooth, easy drinking, and very desirable. Hats off to Revision. Plus, the can art is pretty darn cool.

My Final BA Score: 4.46

[​IMG]
    Up next is an offering I picked up while at the Mikkeller Bar in San Francisco. I was really looking forward to this beer, especially considering it is a 10ABV TIPA. Let's see how it panned out.
    Poured from 16oz can into 20oz Sauvin glass. Canning date in Julian format, and I didn't bother to use an online converter since I knew it was fresh enough.

Look: 4.25
    Dark yellow in color, and oh my, extremely murky and hazy in appearance. Judging by the look alone, it looks like a heavy beer. I got a nice 3/4" frothy head that formed. As I drink the beer, it leaves loads of residual lacing on the glass which is a plus.

Smell: 4.5
    Smells pretty fantastic. Citrus fruits, like grapefruit and orange or present, along with some tropical fruit scents like papaya, mango, and guava. I get some lemongrass, pineapple, nectarine and apricot as well on the nose, maybe some peach. A floral scent is present in the beer, but in the background. Hop presence is noted, but not as strong as you would think from a TIPA. Really desirable smelling.

Taste: 4.5
    Taste is also fantastic. I get that typical citrus fruit flavor, bursting with orange, grapefruit and lemon, but I get a nice complexity which comes from the hops in a more herbal/earthy form. The taste bounces back and fourth between hoppy, fruity, hoppy, then fruity, with a crips bitter finish. I like the earthy and floral notes in the taste as well. The beer has a nice bitter finish, and incredibly smooth again considering it's a TIPA. Can't detect the 10ABV at all. Dangerously good and easy drinking.

Feel: 4.5
    Medium in body, and medium-heavy in weight. Beer has a nice viscosity to it. Carbonation is low to moderate, which seems to change slightly sip to sip. Very easy drinking TIPA.

Overall: 4.5
    At first I gave it a 4.25 overall, but as I sit here writing this review, I become more and more impressed with it. The fruit flavor really bursts as I continue to drink this fine brew, and it complements the hop profile nicely. I am very impressed with the San Diego Mikkeller crew for making a delicious, and fine quality Triple IPA. Might be one of my favorite Triples yet. I am very glad I bought a 4 pack of these. It is very smooth and easy drinking for a TIPA, and stays true to the hazy style. Also nice having a 10ABV triple. Plus I think the name is awesome.

My Final BA Score: 4.49

Cheers NBS, I am sure there will be more to come as the day goes on!

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 42 others like this.
  32. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Happy NBS. I'm ready to work on my yard, plant some grass and watch it turn green. Hard to do when the first week of April was more like February. :rolling_eyes: Hopefully the snow tonight will be the last until next winter. I do see temps in the 50's and even 60's later this week in a sign that Spring may finally arrive in WI!

I picked up a 12pk of Alaskan Icy Bay IPA for $10. Can poured into snifter, clear dark gold with a 1.5 finger white head. On the nose I get piney and citrus hops with some sweet caramel malts. Not much else, kind of a subdued and classic IPA aroma. Flavor of sweet and caramel malts up front, flowed by piney, citrus hops, like grapefruit, more malts on the back end. Feel is medium with a dry finish. Seems like and classic, balanced IPA which can be refreshing change from the IPA trend.

[​IMG]

Cheers to you!

33. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,033) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I was not kidding, I really am loving the mystery beer reviews. I think it affords people the chance to think about the beer and rely on their senses to describe a beer with less influence. Keep 'em coming.

My first beer today is from a brewer that is a bit hit and miss for me. Lots of people really enjoy Sixpoint's brews, and while I find most of them well made, they only occasionally hit me in a way that I want to purchase more. But because they are all decent brews, I keep buying them in hopes that the next offering is one I can look to buy again. Today's offering is Righteous Ale, a bourbon barrel rye ale.

When I first read it, I assumed it was a darker beer aged in rye barrels. Rye barrels are involved, but the beer uses three varieties of rye malt and was probably (I'm guessing) a dark amber before getting the barrel treatment.
    [​IMG]

As it is, this beer pours almost like a light English brown ale. It appears to have perhaps a light amount of haze, but a fair amount of light does get through. The head is a wonderfully creamy foam that might have a light amount of rust to its off-white nature. The cream coats the inner wall of my glass.

The nose leans heavily to me on the barrel notes - woody with a little bite from the rye whiskey. I'm not getting much typical bourbon barrel notes. With warmth, I can sense a more grainy aspect that, given that rye is used, be providing either the backbone or a boost to the rye barrel I am perceiving.

The beer starts with a grain bread, and a bit of what comes across as cinnamon and nutmeg. A light bite that doesn't seem rye-like, perhaps the bourbon barrel sweet, vanilla smokiness having a slight influence. In the back, the spiciness seems a little more rye-like. In between, there's a small bit of dark fruit and maybe a little dark berry to accent the rye-heavy beer. Maybe a little grassy lean to an otherwise woody bitterness backs the beer.

This beer is similar to many Sixpoint beers on feel. I don't think I've ever had a thick or heavy Sixpoint beer. This is probably about medium, with a minimal but noticeable amount of tingle. Carbonation is medium, and I think this with the other components of the feel are on point for this beer.

So, to answer the question, yes. Yes, I'd buy this one again. I think the mix of malt, barrel, and light bitterness with a none-too-heavy feel all work quite well here. I am truly enjoying this offering,

34. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Hey fellow NBS’rs ! Today is mystery share day so I’m onto this beauty from @thebeers ! I have no idea what exactly it is (Arthur will chime in sometime today). I’m going to give it a good guess though...

I’m going to say that this thing is some sort of saison.

Appearance is a cloudy lager yellow and poured with a finger of white head.

Aroma is wine, oak, lemon/lime and a little funk.

Taste is white wine, lemon or lime juice, maybe some oak and a bit of peppery funk.

Feel is crisp and dry. Carb is moderate.

Overall a really nice saison (I think). Flavors well integrated and finishes slightly dry and clean.

I’m going to guess that this is A Leaf of All Colors by Tired Hands. I’m probably way off but hopefully I didn’t embarrass myself.

Cheers Everyone!

35. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,033) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I recall one day we had a bunch of pages, and I think it was about even. Might've been NBS #666.

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Premo88 and 9 others like this.
  36. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Well I’m not going to x-post anymore today to give nbs a slight leg up. Would be nice to see NBS end up as the more popular thread.

37. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,144) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I was really saving two brews for today from @strohme2 's wonderful boxes. The first was the Mystery Beer (Griffin Claw Faux Pas), already featured today. Here is the second: Spanish Eagle, the 5th anniversary brew from Grand Rapids.

[​IMG]

Little mystery here; the brewer spells out exactly what you should expect right on the bottle (an English Barleywine, 11.5% ABV, brewed with maple syrup and aged on Spanish cedar).

This beer definitely delivers. Nothing is particularly over the top; it's subtle, yet deep and complex. Plenty of flavor from the malt backbone, lasting cedar influence, and a nice, sweet touch from the maple throughout.

Unlike many big brews, this one seems to revel in its high ABV instead of hide from it. It feels just like a big beer should.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30229/336473/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.30 / +0.0% (first review)

Justin, thanks for a wonderful beer journey through those two amazing boxes. I enjoyed every sip.

Cheers!

38. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

Hello beer advocates! First time posting in this thread; unfortunately I don’t have a picture of the pour on this beer, but this was so divine that I felt compelled to share my experience:

I just returned from a great, mini-vacation in Santa Barbara, CA. I live here in the SF bay area and it has been rainy and cold this past week, which is why our timing was impeccable to visit Santa Barbara, where the weather was terrific - sunny, warm and the ocean water temp was great for swimming as well. I used to be a skimboarder when in high school in San Diego, and hadn’t done it in years, so I bought a cheap one at Big 5 and hit the skim 3 days in a row! It was awesome. The resort we stayed at was incredible as well, just a great time had by all.

Anyway on to the beer: I knew that Firestone Walker - Barrelworks was going to be on the way back home. We had some danish desserts in Solvang first, so it was perfect as Barrelworks is right there as you head back to the 101. I just wanted to stop and see what they had in the cooler. BOOM.

They literally were releasing this Parabola variant that I had not heard of: Coconut Rye Parabola. Parabola aged 12 months in Rye Whiskey barrels with Coconut.

I had a sample pour at the brewery and also drank one bottle early this morning. This thing is the real McCoy. The pour is charcoal-black, with a .75 inch mocha head. The aroma is dark, rich, smoked/roasted malts, a bit of brown sugar, a sting of whiskey, and a fresh Mounds coconut chocolate bar. Amazing. Taste pretty much follows. This beer is very nicely balanced - it is not at all overly sweet like other coconut beers. The incredibly rich roasted malt background gives way to a slight burn from the rye whiskey (very satisfying for any barrel aged beer lover), and a rich coating of toasted coconut and chocolate.

Not sure how i’ll rate it yet, but It is very difficult to find flaws here. I’ll say 99/100.

Cheers!

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 44 others like this.
  39. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Meyvn (1,016) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. Nice and sunny here on the island but still rather cool. The late arrival of spring is a real drag.

Today is a day that I’ve been dreddin for a few weeks as I turn the big 40. Yup, I’m officially half dead. So I’m starting with a big beer that I have been saving for just such a day. Technically, this is the second time I have had this beer but it’s an aged vintage.

My first new beer today is a 2016 Darkness, Russian imperial stout, from Surly. Curtosey of the great ba known as @GreenBayBA . The brew checks in at 10.3% abv and has a 10/24/16 bottle date.

An oil slick black pour with a tan head. The nose is big and pungent with chocolate malts, booze, and dark candies fruits. I haven’t been able to stop sniffing it. Big time chocolate malt hits upfront on the first few sips. Lush, smooth and with just the right amount of stickiness on the flow that finishes slightly bitter. Tons of additional flavor tones with coffee, burnt toast, vanilla, and brown sugar. The fruit tone is very subtle and adds a sort of cherry kiss to the finish of each sip. I remember this aspect being more pronounced on the fresh bottle. The mouth feel is spot on and really drinks amazingly smooth for its abv.

Overall, just a fantastic stout and easily a top 3 in the style for me. The only thing I would compete it with would be Dark Lord, and maybe Bomb. I’m going to re-cork this and have a few more pours throughout the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2016 New York

Thanks for all the posts so far. Interesting stuff.

New Glory - Fresh Pils of Bel Air. Unfortunately the can was undated, though it's very fresh as it's one of the brewery's newest releases.

[​IMG]

Look: Pours half-hazy golden yellow. Beautiful fluffy white head for the style, though bubbles aren't uniform. Head retention is medium for the style; great lacing left on the glass.

Smell: The nose on this is somewhat of a mixture between what you get from a typical pilsner, and hop overtones. Unfortunately the hop smell is mid enough, that I can't pick out distinct hops. I have to say that this combination is honestly really pleasant.

Taste: Actually pretty typical for pilsners — bitter, clean, light, crisp. You can tell that there are some extra hops in there, but the difference is mild.

Feel: The body is crisp and light, very drinkable. I could easily kill a pack of these in a row. Alcohol is not even close to being apparent. Carbonation is typical for the style

Overall: I don't typically drink pilsners, but I'm loving this one. So approachable and drinkable. The hops are present, but it's for sure a pilsner. I'm loving the development of New Glory too; glad to be drinking local. Cheers!

Chipotle, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 37 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.