New Beer Sunday (Week 781)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,024) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Welcome to another installment of New Beer Sunday, the thread where we like to get your first impressions on a beer. I was not around BeerAdvocate when this weekly thread started. However, I have a version of its history - one I did not personally partake in.

In my story, the thread was started to let participants become aware of breweries were producing a new beer that may be worthy of space in their fridge. With absolutely no backing data, I am going to hypothesize / hyperbolize that back then a new beer release happened less often than a brewery opening nowadays, necessitating some repeat buys.

In today's beer world, there is a chance the beer you have today could be the only time you drink this beer. There are a variety of reasons for this, of course, but I feel it is also a little unfortunate.

Anyhow, I bring all this up to pose some questions to ponder as you draw up your review for this thread. How many of the beers you try are one-and-done? Of those, how many are because you didn't like it that day? How many due to lack of availability beyond the one try? Rough guesses are fine - after all, I just sorta made up a history above.

So, whether you consider the questions above or not, normal operations still apply - give us some information about your beer, using actual facts where possible. What you perceive in a beer (look, smell, taste, feel, etc) is considered truth here, even if it's different than what someone else perceives. We may try to work out a shared truth in some cases, but all in the interest of good beer.

So, it is in fact Sunday. And if you have a new beer and you are willing to provide us a review, we'd love to have you join in (I have verified this to be true). Hopefully the beer will be one you will have on subsequent Sundays when it no longer qualifies for this thread. So why not join us as you find out?

2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,683) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 Snulip glass not sure when it was canned but I trust my source. Pours a hazy yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves webs of lace as it slowly settles. 5

Smell is guava, pineapple, tangerine, cantaloupe, and apricot amazing. 5

Taste follows guava, pineapple, tangerine, ripe melon, and apricot sublime! 5

Mouthfeel is bigger than most, soft gentle carbonation, sticky not dry, and at 7.2% drinks more like 8% but so darn drinkable. 5

Overall some never give a perfect score and I don’t hand them out often, but when I can’t think of a single thing I would change I do. Beer is perfect for me. Thanks @tasterschoice62 for amazing NEIPA. 5 cheers all.

3. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (10,746) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New New Half of the Other Glarus Beer Sunday (Week 781)!

I have been around on this site & in this forum/thread for a while. I CANnot remember precisely how & why @malty & Xxxx (his name escapes me, but he was from OH while @malty was from MI, making for an unlikely pair) started the whole shebang. Calling @cavedave & Maria, their inheritors! Perhaps they CAN shed some light.

Almost everything that I drink CANrently is a one-time use. The CANcept of flagships is rapidly waning & so with new releases all of the time, I CAN't keep up as it is. At first, The CANQuest (tm) really suffered from FOMO, but I have gotten over that since it is simply impossible to lay hands on EVERY CANned beer being released.

This goes back to my parting of the ways with Tired Hands. I had told Jean that I was against limited-release CANs with lines, mules, lawn chairs (!) & now, guns (!!), but he went ahead anyway. Later, in a published interview, I was asked specifically about Tired Hands CANs & The CANQuest (tm). I said that I was saving them for last, but they were not being overlooked. Stunned, the interviewer asked, "Last?!? Is that even a possibility?" "Nope, but I'm still reserving that spot for Tired Hands CANs." I was not present, but legend has it that upon reading this, Jean had a French CANniption & declared me off-limits! Ha.

Today's madness is CANtesy of my Thursday night Bar Trivia team of Bert & Dana (no surnames, please), no relation to Bert & Harry of Piels fame.

The latter were an ad campaign voiced by the comedy duo of Bob & Ray & initially beCAN as Harry & Bert until one wireless listener mistook them as "Arayan Bert" & wanted NOTHING to do with Nazi beer. 8=O It was a wildly successful CANpaign, still used as an advertising case study. Why? Because although the ads were great & CANsumerism shot up as a result, the beer was so lousy that sales dropped off at an equally propitious rate! It is one thing to have great advertising, but the product needs to likewise measure up.

As to my trivia team, we are a spectacular triumvirate! Our team name ChANges weekly, based on the clue for the 3rd round & is always a pun which I generate (go figure). We generally finish in the $ with an outright win last H.

Bert is the wife & Dana the husband (didn't expect that, eh?) with her full name being Roberta, but she goes by "Bert". She hails from WisCANsin & routinely visits her family with Dana in tow. Knowing that I eventually want to get a Po.D. from UW-Madison, they bring back beer from me on these visits. Dana recently celebrated his birthday weekend with a trip to NYC, which is where the first of the day came from, beginning with:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33510/462269/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    I'll be back later with more … stuff!

4. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,132) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS
    I just got home from work and opened this one from Taxman...
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz canned 12/02/19 (2 months ago) poured into tulip glass at just above fridge temp 10.0% ABV 32 IBU per can label. The beer pours slightly murky medium brown in color with some yeast particulate on a hard pour. The head is khaki colored, short lived and settles to a pencil thin ring leaving a few spots of lacing. The aroma is mild with dark fruits, brown sugar, vanilla and very slight bourbon barrel. The taste is semisweet honey & cherry over a nice darker (but not roasty) malt body before the drying bourbon barrel shows up as mostly oak & vanilla. Minimal bitterness, but balanced with the sweet having a slight advantage. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with just less than medium carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, very good. The base beer is definitely enhanced by the barrel here, even if the actual bourbon influence is minimal. Very, very tasty despite a mediocre appearance and nose.

Thanks for the opening @cjgiant. My "beer goal" for this year was less singles and more 4/6 packs. I'm focusing on Indiana beers first and working from there. I'm glad I bought a 4 pack of this in particular as it will allow me to share one with @woodychandler and still enjoy a few more. Many of my "one and dones" here have been made in an effort to try as many styles, states, countries etc as I possibly can. I have found a number of styles and brewers that I know I enjoy and I'm feeling less like I'm missing out when I pass on other things.

I'm ready for a nap. Enjoy the new beer in your glass today BA!

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,394) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Another new Pennsylvania Lager

Today I will be discussing a new year-round beer from Yards Brewing: Loyal Lager.

How this beer is discussed on the Yards website:

“Loyal Lager

CRISP, CLEAN, SOLID

PHILLY’S HOMETOWN LAGER

25 years after opening our first garage brewery in Manayunk, we’ve built our dream brewery in the heart of the city – all thanks to our fans who have been loyal since the beginning. As a sign of our gratitude, we’ve used our new world-class brewing system to create Loyal Lager: a crisp, easy-drinking American Craft Lager brewed with two-row malt and aromatic Loral hops. It’s what a clean, high-quality lager is meant to be.

STYLE American Craft Lager

ABV 5.0%

FORMATS 12 oz can, 12 oz bottle, sixtel, keg

AVAILABILITY Year-round

SIGNIFICANT INGREDIENTS 2-Row Malt; Loral Hops

YEAR INTRODUCED Brand New for September 2019”

This beer was also discussed by George Hummel who is a columnist for the Mid-Atlantic Brew News newspaper:

“Yards Brewing reports an exciting departure from its usual lineup of ales. Look for Loyal Lager, brewed in the Dortmunder style…”

Well, there are not many Dortmunder beers being produced, either by American craft breweries or imports so I am intrigued to try this beer.

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Golden yellow colored with a BIG rocky white head. This beer is crystal clear.

Aroma:

The first impression is bready Malt aroma but there is some hops aromas of herbal/spicy.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with bready malt with a pleasing combination of herbal/spicy flavors from the hops. There is a low-moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with a pleasant dry finish.

Overall:

This beer is good. It has an enjoyable combination of bready malt and herbal/spicy flavors.

Cheers to Yards for crafting a tasty lager for their loyal customers!

@rotsaruch @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @RobH @nc41 @Ranbot @FBarber @Jacobier10 @scottakelly @tzieser @zid @ESHBG @Kadonny @NeroFiddled @RobHB

[​IMG]

6. JackHorzempa

Society

Woody, maybe you could sneak into Tired Hands if you had a disguise? Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

Cheers!:grin:

woemad, larryi86, MacMalt and 11 others like this.
  7. woodychandler

Society Trader

But a beard is already supposed to be a disguise, hence many Victorian-era homosexuals going around with a female CANsort, referred to as a/their "beard", plus the glasses are not too far removed from my CANrent ones. I have a feeling that I would be sussed out rather quickly. :stuck_out_tongue:

I need a beer! I have been beerded for a while.

2beerdogs, larryi86, Premo88 and 7 others like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe you could accessorize with a cool hat?

[​IMG]

woemad, MacMalt, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  9. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,391) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Jeezus Christopher... what if Woody was completely shaved (haven't seen him in a while), got a slick hair cut, put in some contact lenses, and wore a snazzy suit! I don't think anyone would recognize him, not even his mother!

By the way, I LOVE the Loyal Lager. I didn't think I would because I hadn't really enjoyed the Loral hops before that, but I think all of the examples I had of it were from Stone so maybe that explains a little bit of it. No shade thrown on Stone, but every brewery processes in a slightly different way and maybe Yards is doing something different. Or, maybe it's a different crop year/hop grower.

Get it set up Woody and I'll meet you there!

p.s. ~ now that Stoudt's is closing I've decided to put more emphasis on supporting my local breweries rather than things from far-flung parts of the nation. Loyal Lager is definitely on my list.

Mvsmvs92, woemad, larryi86 and 13 others like this.
  10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,761) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I've got a number of new beers lined up for today, but we'll see how I feel. Yesterday afternoon this cold started hitting me pretty hard, so I may not feel up to many reviews.

First, though, I'm going straight to a beer I've both been very excited for, and yet unsure. Vibrant P'ocean, an odd duckling indeed: a mix of a 2 year Foeder-aged Flemish ale, and a fruited kettle sour.

[​IMG]

I love Rodenbach, and this marks their first collaboration (ever, apparently). I like DFH and respect their place in brewing history, but their kettle sours are very hit or miss with me. My gf loves this beer, though, and has managed to kill off more than a 6 pack before I've tried a single sip. Let's dig in!

The result is, perhaps fittingly, somewhere in the middle. Rodenbach's contribution lends a nice musty, oaky sourness to the blend, but it lacks the depth of their celebrated ales (among my favorites). The fruit and flowers from DFH's kettle sour gives notes of tea, flowers, and lightly tart berries.

The more I sip, the more I'm enjoying this one. It's not as crushable as the typical low ABV kettle sours that have become so popular, but neither does it require the patient sipping typical of Rodenbach's ales. It's almost a touch awkward ... but again, quite enjoyable.

"I'm feeling a light-to-medium 4 on this one."

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/454895/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.88 / +4.3%

Cheers!

11. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,083) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a brownish color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has slight chocolate, orange peel and coffee hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a subdued chocolate, orange peel and coffee flavor
    M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A decent Dunkelweizen

12. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,693) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday, nbs crew! The beer I’m reviewing today was on my wants’ list for 6 years, but I was finally able to review it today thanks to @HeartofMiami .

Wide Awake It’s Morning - Funky Buddha
    Imperial Porter - 8.5% abv
    Score: 4.41 (-3.1% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31805/67720/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    I’ve had quite a few Funky Buddha beers before, thanks to generous BA’s like @Roguer and @JBowenGeorgia . This beer remained elusive though, until @HeartofMiami noticed it on my wants and sent me one to try. I’m a long-time fan of Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, and this imperial version is even better than the original. Less sweet, and more coffee-forward. The maple is hugely present, but is kept in check by the cold-brew coffee bitterness. Smoky bacon creeps in on the finish. A thick and decadent pastry stout that predates the term. I see why this has a 100 rating, putting it 4th overall for imperial porters. Thanks again Jared!

13. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,083) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice reddish amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has dark fruit hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a pleasant dark fruit sour flavor
    M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A good Flanders Red

14. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (275) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Glad you enjoyed it! As you know I really like it and I have some in my fridge right now in fact. I enjoy a lot of Yards' beers but as far as their year round lineup goes, this may now be my favorite.

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,655) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks @cjgiant for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back later with a new beer.

Cheers!

16. woodychandler

Society Trader

This is a great memory!: Post-Tom Kehoe @ PHLBC, I was in a navy blazer, rep tie, grey slacks & black shoes, having just come from a clean-shaven interview with PPS. I'm on my way through the courtyard when I hear Bill yell, "Nancy, are we expecting any salespeople? I'm gonna throw this guy out, if not! OMFG! It's Woody! Nancy, you gotta come down here & see this!"

I don't wanna destroy anyone's impression of me. I spent too much time clean-shaven on active duty in Uncle Sugar's CANoe Club to wanna go back to looking like Dracula's morning snack. On Diego Garcia, a bunch of us were retiring & the burning Q was: "What will you do as a silly-vilian that you couldn't do on active duty?" Most guys said, "Burn frop!" Meh. That was part of what led me into military service inna first place. Me? "S**tCAN the M/Fing razor & see what happens!" "What, become a hippie?!?" "F**k no, daddy-O! I made that scene as a teenager. I like a good haircut these days! Just the beard, man, just the beard." "Far out! Groovy! None of us even CANsidered facial hair. Might be wild, man!" Yeah, it sure is. Current growth = 16+ years. No shaving in sight!

17. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, I feel confident saying I personally would not recognize him if he did all of that. It would be like he was a participant on the show What Not to Wear! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

MacMalt, smanson56 and woodychandler like this.
  18. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,278) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good Morning NBS and thanks @cjgiant for the thoughtful intro today. In awnser to your question, I would gander that about 30% of the reviewed offerings for me are one and out.
    Primarily due to release, or availability. I have revisited many that where reviewed, often to compare with other BA's who had a differerent take on the same beer. I frankly love that aspect of our community.
    Todays offering is one that will (hopefully if it stays fresh and avaialble) be in the fridge often.
    A delicate offering with depth, a simply delightful Helles.

Cheers all

Ruekeller: Helles

The Bruery
    German Helles | 4.9% ABV

4.25/5 rDev +3.4% | Average: 4.11
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz can dated 01/16/20 into the test glass.
    A - Straw color, 2-3 SRM, clear as can be. Meandering carbonation feeds a thin white cap. Lacing is cirrus in apperance and spotty.
    S - Summer grain, with hint of lemongrass, hints of honey and cut grass
    T - Cracker grain, with some honey, lemond zest, a slight minearality all so delicately balanced.
    M - Delicate on the palate, semi sweet start quick waves of bitterness are near perfect. Cabonation cleans up and a dry finish thats herbal in the best way
    O - Outstanding offering, firing on all cylinders this Helles is a sensory and delicious delight

[​IMG]

2beerdogs, woemad, FBarber and 36 others like this.
  19. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,006) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Thanks, Craig, for getting us off to a great start today. It's a beautiful day here, already 60 degrees. I think a walk or a bike ride is in my future.
    My new beer is Viking Space Probe Double IPA from Stone, bottled 1/07/20.
    In my snifter the beer is a hazy gold/orange color. There is a small white head that leaves a bit of lace.
    Aroma is tropical fruit and citrus fruit.
    Very nice taste. Pineapple to start, then melon. Nice finish of grapefruit and grapefruit rind.
    Medium-bodied. The 8.5% ABV kind of sneaks up on you.

[​IMG]

20. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW my thought is that Yards utilizes the Loral hops judiciously in this beer. In contrast since Stone is essentially IPA Brewing Co. now the concept of judicious use of hops is anathema to them.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,783) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Restless Nights, 7.5% bourbon barrel-aged coffee porter with bourbon barrel-aged beans...
    [​IMG]
    Boulevard and Modern times collab - decent enough - cocoa and coffee are bittersweet and the barrels dry things out nicely... Some sweet vanilla and molasses sweeten the coffee, but do not overshadow the drier, roastier flavor elements... Medium-bodied, softly carbonated, nice lingering bittersweet roast on the finish...
    [​IMG]
    Best by canning of 04/08/20...

Here's to new beer in your glass, cheers... :wink:

2beerdogs, woemad, FBarber and 34 others like this.
  22. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,316) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Today’s new beer is Funky Buddha’s “Mocha Smuggler”, a Whiskey BA Imperial Milk Porter (11.2%, 50 IBUs), released at the brewery December 7, 2019, with (per website) limited release thereafter. Made with cacao nibs, coffee and vanilla. Sounds a lot like “Nib Smuggler” released fall 2017 that was not BA...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poured at 53 degrees, a thin incomplete cinnamon brown fizzy cap sits atop a black with reddish brown edges liquid; no retention and thin ring disappears quickly; micro dots of lace and medium plus legs present upon swirl. Vanilla, whiskey, chocolate, roasted coffee beans nose; some booze on the retro nasal. Taste is sweet chocolate up front, followed by vanilla and caramel; layers of bitter roast coffee and phenolic booze add depth in the middle; bitter sweet dark chocolate, sweet chocolate and vanilla on the back end. Full minus body, not syrupy like some FB Stouts; slightly hot from the 11.2%; lite carbonation; lite dry barrel tongue coating finish. Overall, I like boozy beers and this fits the bill; as advertised, I taste cocoa, vanilla, coffee and whiskey; it’s not cloying and the bitter roast coffee and booze helps keep the whole in balance; the body is lightish (hey, it’s a Porter) the feel is smooth and dry - very easy drinking for the abv, and definitely not a sipper; in sum, a great release from FB that surprisingly doesn’t scream FB nose and/or body.

4.25 | 4.5 | 4.5 | 4.5 | 4.5

2beerdogs, woemad, FBarber and 34 others like this.
  23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

@mattcrill filled in for @malty and eventually took over when @malty couldn't accomodate NBS with his schedule. I think he was a part time DJ if memory serves, and he asked me to fill in for him a few times before asking me to take over here permanently when he couldn't fulfill his duties. I worked weekends at that time and worried I would also not be a reliable host, so I suggested that NBS should have a co-host, and that is how Maria was chosen to co-host with me.

Hard to imagine it was such a short time ago that craft beer distro was so poor that we needed a thread to showcase what was available on store shelves across the country and world. Back then BA's took pride in our being the site that reviewed beers honestly and best. It wasn't unusual to exhort people to "...add a review for that beer instead of dissing it in the forums." That was the guiding principle of BA, to be that better site for beer knowledge.

NBS was designed to improve our ability to review beers, with the idea that being able to understand what we like about beer by reviewing it makes it easier for us to more consistently find beer we love to drink. This is such a simple and excellent idea that it amazes me to see how far from the idea our new beer culture drifts. But NBS continues, and is as popular as ever it is good to see. Hopefully it remains as vibrant, and long lasting enough for me to resume my "membership" if I am able to resume beer drinking at some point. So far things are looking positive for it, am working harder at this than I can express, but there are many miles yet to travel for me on the road back to sustainable health.

Cheers NBS!

mattcrill, woemad, 2beerdogs and 34 others like this.
  24. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Savant (978) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

My first post in this thread. This weekend has been full of a lot of new offerings to me. Just a few pics. Ratings are up on most of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. lordofthewiens

Society

Great to hear from you and happy that your health is improving.

26. lordofthewiens

Society

Thanks for joining in. It would be great for you to post a link to the beer reviews.

2beerdogs, woemad, TheDoctor and 10 others like this.
  27. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,633) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Boom!!

28. Mister_Faucher

Trader

Dammit will def do that next time. The 15 minute window expired before I could add them in an edit.

29. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,738) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I have no facts, but your made-up history sounds right. As to your questions, I suppose I'm an outlier in today's craft beer universe.
    Very, very few. I will always buy a 4 or 6 pack, or a sample box rather than a single.
    None. (Well, one. See below)
    Of the few singles I have purchased, it has mostly been due to availability, and, rarely, price (that is, the price is high, but I decide to take a flyer anyway).

Almost all of my purchases are at a liquor store rather than at the brewery, so that certainly influences things. I can see trying a one-and-done at a brewery. In fact, as I hinted above, I once did a one (or two) sips and done at a restaurant, but I suspect that was more on the lack of care by the establishment than the beer itself - dirty lines, perhaps.

I really fail to understand those who are afraid of the possibility of having too many of the same beer. For me, I've way, way, way more often wished I had a few more (e.g. more than the 3 that come in a sample box) than regretted I bought so many.

I enjoy going back to a new beer a day or so later to taste it again, comparing things to my previous notes. It is after that that I will post a review. (NBS thread excepted... here you get the "benefit" of my first tasting notes! :wink:)

30. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,565) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Diego Garcia! A beautiful place to visit!

[​IMG]

Diego Garcia, BIOT Sunset

by David Perl, on Flickr

Taken on a USAF Space Command IG visit from back in the day...

31. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,316) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Nice pics...care to favor us with review or three?

32. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Next up is a beer that Fulton apparently feels is a Proper Porter. (I can't look at the bottle without thinking of Conor McGregor's "Prrrroper Number Twelve" voice.)

[​IMG]

While it looks more like a dark brown ale (hard to tell from the photo), the nose is, indeed, indicative of a "proper" porter. On the palate, however, it's much sweeter than I would have expected - just shy of cloying. Plenty of toasted malt throughout, and while this beer isn't mind-blowing, it's solid and enjoyable.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22167/259885/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.75 / +0.8%

woemad, 2beerdogs, FBarber and 32 others like this.
  33. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks Doc, systolic is down 120 points and into reasonable territory, diastolic reasonably improved, actually had to put some weight back on lol. This is with the help of meds and a stupid strict diet and exercise program. Breakfast today was steamed beets and snow peas with raw garlic clove, half avocado, and lime juice. Walked 8 miles y'day with elevation rise of 920 feet. I avg. six miles a day and 500 ft. elev. Can't wait for a time I can just have a beer when I feel like it. Still believe I will get to that day. We'll see. Until then...

Prager62, woemad, 2beerdogs and 27 others like this.
  34. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

@woodychandler

As some here no doubt already know, I spent over 5 months (unplanned) on Diego Garcia. My liver has still not recovered.

I'd go back again, but not under the same circumstances. :stuck_out_tongue:

35. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,565) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

My stay was about a week before flying back to Singapore. Seemed scenic enough (although I remember all the rats scampering around in the foliage around the shoreline)...

36. woodychandler

Society Trader

And from which to retire. I was a REALLY outta-CANtrol alcoholic in SoCAL, bitter about losing my so-called shore duty to a test ship, vaguely born-again homesick & looking into a death-spiral. When my detailer (CANother piece-o'-shite c**t) offered up DG, I jumped on it. I spent 30 days of in-transit leave getting as far into the bag as possible before spending three-plus days getting there. Upon arrival, I announced that I was a clean drunk & spent the entire tour stone sober. POTUS Clinton did me the forever-favor of extending his drawdown/right-sizing/correct-manning program for one more cycle, enabling me to retire at 15.25 vice 20. I have been retired longer (21 years & counting) than I was in! Take that, you statistical actuaries! 8=p I was not in love with DG, but I was in great shape, toned down, slim & I watched several of those sunsets onna beach with honey-honeys.

37. Mister_Faucher

Trader

Of course my brother

The Grid Triple Crossing Brewing

A couple of pint cans from a care package sent by my friend from the Richmond area.
    Canned on 01/22/20. Served in a pint glass.

Look- Seriously cloudy golden orange juice color, bits of what look like flaked oat sediment dancing in there. A massive creamy colored head that recedes very slowly to a thick rocky cap of foam, tons of sticky lacing. moderate carbonation streams visible.

Smell- Stone fruit (peach/nectarine, apricot, a bit of berries), citrus (orange/tangerine, grapefruit and lemon/lime), tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, guava and passionfruit), dank melon, light green onion and pepper, some grainy malt, pine and grassy/floral notes.

Taste- A bowl of fresh fruit, aromas from the hops translate nicely in to the flavor with minimal residual bitterness.

Feel- Medium/thick bodied with a nice, creamy soft, lightly sweet finish. Medium/light carbonation on the tongue.

O- Coming from the left coast, this blows my mind. West coast breweries need to take notes because this is a seriously wonderful take on a NE hazy DIP. Thanks again to vabeerguy for sending this to me. Killer brew right here.

Nightmare Mancuerda

A couple of two week old pint cans picked up at Seattle's 'Beer Authority' owner could barely walk because he slipped and fell in last week's snow, needs knee surgery, anyway the beer. Dating looks like HAL2000 code in this lighting.

the beer itself, almost identical to original Juicy Fruit gum, but carbonated and in in liquid form. Coming from the West coast this is my first experience with this brewery. Juicy and sweet in a good way.

Not worth the $6 a pint can price tag but absolutely delicious and aromatic.

Will I pay that much again in an area full of cheaper glorious offerings? No. But for Birthdays or Thanksgiving/Christmas, maybe
    . Not a daily drinker. But really friggin good.

Pelican Our Dankest Hour

Six pack of cans picked up at Total Wine in Lynnwood, Washington.
    No dating on the cans. Poured in to a pint glass.

Look- Clear darker amber color, modest off-white/cream colored head that recedes fairly quickly to a thin cap of foam, moderate lacing. Moderate carbonation streaming as it sits.

Smell- Citrus (orange/tangerine and lemon), berries, apricot/peach, pungent weed and melon, caramel malt, resinous pine and floral/herbal notes.

Taste- Follows the nose well, citrus fruits, a bit of the berries, melon and peach, weed, light pine and pepper with a decent malt backbone.

Feel- Medium bodied, crisp with a lingering light bitter finish, pretty nicely balanced. Moderate carbonation on the tongue.

O- A solid PacNW IPA. I've been fairly disappointed with some of Pelican's more recent releases but this one is good. Worth checking out.

38. woodychandler

Society Trader

That was why I went sober. I had already visited in '86/'87 aboard the Crommelin (FFG-37) & knew that if I arrived as a stumbling drunk, I would leave at some point in the tour in a body bag. I might have been a dry drunk, but I kept a LOT of people from making INCREDIBLY bad decisions. I was a hero to many, the one person to whom most could come to without fear of reprisal or repetition of their woes. My third-floor (unheard of for an E-6) door was usually open, my couch (!) was always available & I could generally be found on the balcony with a cigar, a newspaper & a book. I read so much that year that it was astounding.

39. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,137) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Best post of the day. That is tremendous, Dave!

woemad, 2beerdogs, SABERG and 8 others like this.
  40. brewskis

brewskis Champion (899) Jun 8, 2012 Indiana

[​IMG]

Half Acre Vanilla Big Hugs Imperial Stout w/ coffee. This is brewed with Red Wine Yeast Catuai coffee and Cocoa Catuai coffee liquid and bean from Dark Matter Coffee in Chicago, as well as cocoa beans and pulp and Madagascar vanilla bean. The beer was fermented on the cocoa bean and pulp. Not your typical coffee stout, as the coffee liquid and beans, as well as the cocoa bean and pulp add some different flavors to the beer you wouldn't normally get.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown to light black color with a two-finger dense mocha head. Not as dark as I thought it would be, but the dense head and retention is wonderful. 3.75

Aroma: As already mentioned, the different types of coffee and the cocoa bean and pulp add some interesting notes to the beer. More fruity aromas than I've ever gotten on a coffee stout. Cranberry, red and black cherry, black currant, bittersweet chocolate chip, dense fudge, dark chocolate bar, roasty gourmet coffee, allspice, and nutmeg. Not really any vanilla detected on the nose. 4.25

Taste: Follows the aroma quite well, bringing cranberry, red and black cherry, red and black currant, dark chocolate fudge, 90%+ dark chocolate bar, slight milk chocolate, allspice, nutmeg, slight cardamom, roasted malt, gourmet coffee, and very slight vanilla. This could have really used a bigger vanilla presence to balance out the roast and bitterness coming from the various coffee and cocoa bean additions. Not as sweet as expected; more bitter, dry, and rustic. No booze detected. 4

Mouthfeel: Medium to high medium body. Slightly creamy and silky, slick. Despite the roast and bitterness, it's pretty smooth for 10%. 3.75

Overall: An enjoyable and unique coffee stout. Both Half Acre and Dark Matter coffee are pretty experimental and this beer captures that adventurous side of them well. My only complaints are that the beer is a touch thin and could use more vanilla. I added some vanilla extract on my own, which balanced and enhanced the beer in my opinion. Good stuff. 4.02

woemad, 2beerdogs, FBarber and 31 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.