New Beer Sunday (Week 801)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,099) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Schilling Beer Co. -- Alexandr 10° (from the kind generosity of @SierraNevallagash)

[​IMG]

4.26/5 rDev +6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Clear, light gold body; lively carbonation; one-finger thick head, rich and soapy and lasting. Soft fruitiness on the noes; musk melon; sweet green grass. Subtle biscuit malt base; balanced esters; low-key and complementary hop bitterness bringing a fullness to the taste. Soft and warm on the palate; smooth and spongy; lightly sweet throughout with an exquisite dryness developing at the finish.

This is a beautifully made classic pilsner style from New Hampshire. It is obviously crafted with an eye towards quality and drinkability. A very fine beer...
    ----------------
    I have enjoyed some very nice small trades of late. This Czech-style pilsner is one of the highlights.

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,002) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Drekker I Don't Know No Snakes Lager, 5% ABV. Pours clear yellow with a four-finger white head that left no lacing. Nose is grainy and sweet, taste follows with no bitterness. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding. I haven't had a lager in a while, but this one is real good.

4.23/5 rDev +2.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It's been ages since I've had a lager, but would drink them more often if more of them were this good.

[​IMG]

Pinz412, ChicagoJ, Txex06 and 26 others like this.
  3. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,311) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Okay, giving this oddball a shot. Never had a peanut butter IPA before.

L = 3.75 S = 3.5 T = 3.75 M = 4.0 O = 3.75
    Not much peanut butter notes; a little of the old Nutter Butter cookies in the finish ont he bakc of the tongue. Easy drinking IPA, and fun beer to try.
    [​IMG]

Pinz412, ChicagoJ, Txex06 and 25 others like this.
  4. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,807) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Found some Spencer beers. If you have heard anything about this brewery, its probably that they are an American Trappist brewery. I have seen their imperial stout at the bottle shop before, but wanted to try their Belgian styles first, and low an behold some of those finally showed up.

Spencer Trappist Ale, 6.5% ABV. Categorized as a Belgian Pal Ale here, and I would agree with that.

[​IMG]

Pours a slightly cloudy/hazed golden orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Light lace is left behind.
    The nose is of fruity esters. Pears, apples, light banana. A phenolic peppery spice, dusty yeast. Some baked bread aromas. This is really well done.
    Tastes follows suite.That same fruity ester character up front. With a more pronounce apple skin flavor, and that becomes a little tart. Bananas, peppery spice, yeast and bread. Simply, a traditional interpretation as it should be. Yeah, this is pretty good.
    A medium to full body. Well carbonated but becomes ultra smooth as this breaths. I can easily see me coming back for more.

This is well done. I only got a single of this, as I was a little skeptical that an American Trappist brewery could pull these styles off authentically. Well, no need to worry as this is spot on, and already wanting to get more.

Overall score 4.18
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33618/108956/?ba=champ103#review

I have the Monks' Reserve Quad to open next.

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 28 others like this.
  5. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,134) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Murk-Life Balance a New England Pale Ale by English brewery Magic Rock (5.8% ABV).

Pours a hazy, dark orange coloration with a medium, fluffy head and some minor floaters sinking to the bottom. Smells of sweet biscuity malt and tropical fruit notes of passion fruit, pineapple and papaya, as well as some herbal accents.

Taste is a good balance of biscuity malt and quite sweet and juicy tropical hops, with notes of passion fruit, pineapple and papaya, as well as some pine and herbal, slightly spicy accents also coming through. Finishes with a light bitterness and some passion fruit, pineapple and herbal accents lingering in the aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

This is a rather nice NE style Pale Ale that may be a bit too sweet for my personal taste, but kinda balances that out with some bitter, herbal and spicy notes, while also featuring some rather distinct and fairly juicy tropical notes of passion fruit and pineapple, showcasing the Galaxy and Vic Secret hops nicely here.

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 23 others like this.
  6. aleigator

aleigator Poo-Bah (2,224) May 10, 2014 Germany
    Society Trader

To Øl Gose to Hollywood

Pours a slightly clouded golden color with a stable, medium head.

Smells of orange and lime zest, lighter blueberries and mango, together with straw and some fresh baked bread.

Drinks truly refreshing with a well nuanced, yet soft and lively carbonation among a light body, amped up by a bitter and salty interplay.

Tastes of cherry piths, orange peel, lighter blueberries and soft white bread dough. The dough turns a bit more prominent, providing a soft mouthfeel, together with a hint of caramel, bringing out balancing straw and a note of salt. Finishes with a bitter to fruity hoppiness, inheriting limes and blueberries all the same, while the salt adds a well nuanced, calming and furthermore thirst quenching aspect.

Very tasty gose with a pleasant depth of flavors, while providing a well desired refreshment.

[​IMG]

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 25 others like this.
  7. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,101) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Need to say sorry this is Old Irving Brewing and I got this from @mschrei . Thanks Matt

8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,133) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Next up: Bam Biere, an oak aged saison from Jolly Pumpkin.

[​IMG]

Very sharp and sour on the nose; on the palate, it's much mustier and funkier, favoring yeast expression and dull oak. A really nice funk-forward saison, although it's a bit limited in what it presents. Much more covered in the review, naturally.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9897/28176/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.99 / +0.8%

Probably my last new brew for the day; cheers!

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 27 others like this.
  9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,837) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

That beer is delicious! They also have a dark Czech style lager - I think its called Modernism - that is also delicious. Got to try both of those thanks to the generosity of @TongoRad and @zid!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, ovaltine and 4 others like this.
  10. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,249) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

This week I'm back supporting local breweries. Here is Sum Pulp, a "New England Style Pale Ale" that I picked up at their site Friday. I am assuming it is considered a Pale Ale due to the fact that it clocks in at only 5% ABV. Having said that, it seems to have most of the experience of a full NEIPA. The can says its made with Mosaic, Citra and Cascade, 40 IBU.
    [​IMG]
    Pours opaque orange with a medium white head that fades rather quickly. Aroma is dank tangerine, apricot.
    The taste is sweet apricot but with a bitter bite like orange rind. Alcohol is not detectable. The mouthfeel is appropriately creamy, carbonated with a little bit of tongue coating.
    [​IMG]
    I would say this is about a 3.5. Pretty good beer if your looking to session a New England style.

11. beergoot

Society Trader

I got to try their maibock - Ziegenmensch - that was a tasty little sucker...

TheDoctor, TongoRad and FBarber like this.
  12. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,451) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

[​IMG]

Charms & Hexes w/ Peaches & Pomegranates by Banded Brewing out of Maine. This series has been a little hit-or-miss for me, with some entries being less sour, less expressive of the fruit additions, etc. so I'm hoping this one does well. Peach and pomegranate is kind of a weird combination to me, but I guess the flavors can probably go pretty well together. Let's see what's up.

Pours a golden color with a fluffy head that calms down to a very, very small ring... but it's something! Most kettle sours have heads that disappear entirely pretty quickly, so I'll take it. The surface has some wispy microbubbles floating around as well. Body is lightly-hazy, probably from lack of filtration and the fruit, but it's in no way as dense as a lot of opaque sours and other styles these days.

The nose is very nice, with a big hit upfront of lemony tang, guava-like tropical aspects, and a bit of peach jam followed by almost a note of dark cherry or something? Perhaps the pomegranate doing something interesting. Smells like it's gonna be nice and tart, which is definitely good as my biggest disappointments with this series have come from the ones that just aren't very tart (I believe the wild blueberry and blackcurrant/cherry/cranberry ones had less acidity from the souring process, instead kinda leaning on the fruits to provide that element). I think the Passion Fruit & Guava one was the most intensely acidic, so maybe this will be a little less than that but more than some of the others.

Hoo boy, yeah this is sour. Very spritzy and fun, though, too! I'm gonna go ahead and call this one a winner. Big flavors upfront of the involved fruits with some definite cherry notes, nectarine-like softness, and a bit of a tropical aspect toward the finish (mango?). Puckering tartness with a little bit of sour tangerine candy here, too. I honestly don't get the odd peach flavors that I've noticed in some other peach beers. It doesn't really taste like peach ring candy either. Definitely more citrusy, and the pomegranate gives off its own distinct note toward the mid-palate. Nice, bright profile with good flavors and carbonation, showing off a solid feel that is rather characterful and fluffy despite the tart acidic presence (probably thanks to the wheat used). This one is great. Would buy again!

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 23 others like this.
  13. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,274) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Must be time for one of my infrequent check-ins...

Mammasilenus is working from home these days and has taken over one of my favourite drinking nooks - so I simply used my forearm to sweep clear a small area suitable for the posing of a beverage. However I shall have to take it out onto the back steps to actually drink it.

[​IMG]

At any rate, today's selection is Overly Dedicated, an oak barrel aged saison from Honest Weight in Orange, Massachusetts. My review follows...

From a 500ml bottle, undated as best I can tell. Served in a tulip.

Pours a bright and cheery sunshiney, lemony gold, lightly hazed, and with a scant finger of fizzy head. Little retention to speak of, just a fizzy, foamy, bubbly cap. It is a pretty beer. (4.50)

Smell is light, bright, tart, flowery and funky. Lemons, lemongrass, lilacs and mildew. (4.25)

Taste starts out pretty much in line with the nose except that the barrel character becomes evident. This is one of those odd cases where it’s hard for me to separate taste from feel because the lemony taste is associated with a certain soapiness and the bacteria and oak barrel are linked with, and expressed through, a particularly slick and slippery feeling. Mildewing carpet, pineapple syrup, and a floral, perfumy character which becomes almost oppressive, like having your face stuck in heaped flower arrangements on top of the casket and held there against your will while you thrash in vain... (3.50/3.50)

Well, that was unkind. Sometimes we just get carried away. I think this would have been a very pleasant bright and lemony medium-bodied saison without the barrel aging. (3.50)

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 24 others like this.
  14. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Zealot (500) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Time for new beer #2, this one Zone 6 from Plan Bee. It's a wild ale aged in oak on quince & black currants. I had no idea what quince was, and still don't really, but according to Greek legend it apparently was the catalyst for the Trojan War, so there's that.
    [​IMG]
    4.07/5 rDev -6.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful & vibrant blood orange color with a very thin, but lasting head. Smell is fairly nondescript. Slightly funky with something lingering underneath that I can't quite put a finger on. Taste is just slightly tart, and actually quite smooth. While there don't appear to be any melons used in the brewing of this beer, it reminds me of honeydew. This is a light, refreshing beer that feels quite right for a warm summer day

Unrelated, and likely in violation of the NBS rules, got a couple decent loon pics while kayaking yesterday. Cheers all!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pinz412, superspak, ChicagoJ and 26 others like this.
  15. aleigator

aleigator Poo-Bah (2,224) May 10, 2014 Germany
    Society Trader

L‘Ermitage Theoreme de l‘Empereur

Pours a slightly clouded golden color with a huge, spongy white head atop.

Smells of herbal, leafy tea, lighter peaches and tangerine, blending into white bread dough and a flowery grass quality.

Drinks soft with a nice and well nuanced effervescence to it, highlighting the beer‘s light body in a perfectly refreshing way.

Tastes of sweet oranges, dry leaves and a wooden, grassy and herbal green tea appearance among wild flowers and a hint of honey. Offers a truly fluffy, creamy mouthfeel then, accentuated by peaches, light mango and lime zest, complimenting to the well entangled tea impression in this marvelously well. Finishes dry, slightly sweet, herbal and soft, leading to a unique and well working aftertaste, inheriting a crisp hop dryness.

This is marvellous. Why use tea for an ipa? Because it adds a unique bitterness to the hops and creates a fantastic depth from the beginning till the end. Green tea is quite present in this, but it works out astonishingly well with all the other components, with a mouthfeel which is nothing short of being world class.
    [​IMG]

16. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I didn't know Barreled Souls had started a canning line. Are their IPAs also wood-aged? That was, after all, kind of their gimmick, and the basis behind their name.

tasterschoice62, tzieser and ichorNet like this.
  17. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Wait, so two collaboration brews today, both which start with Cosmic? And both are hazy IPAs?

ChicagoJ, tzieser and ichorNet like this.
  18. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I really liked the rather simply-named Table Beer, as well, and their equally simple Saison is quite good, as well. I like that Allagash has, in addition to their extensive Coolship and barrel aging program, has decided that you can innovate in simpler directions, as well - and the results are, unsurprisingly, consistently good.

Roy_Hobbs, ChicagoJ, JayORear and 6 others like this.
  19. champ103

Society

I love this one, to bad its hard to find around me anymore, it was always in my fridge when they first showed up in Houston, and think their offerings are miles ahead of the likes of Jester King. At least what is relatively easily found on the shelf here.

20. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

't IJ van de Duvel, a New England IPA brewed in collaboration between Belgian brewers Duvel Moortgat and 't IJ (6.66% ABV).

Pours a slightly cloudy, golden amber coloration with a large, frothy, lasting head. Smells of biscuity malt and estery yeast, with notes of green apple and clove, as well as just a hint of citrus accents.

Taste is a decent balance of biscuity malt, estery yeast and citrus hops, with notes of green apple, clove, tangerine and lemongrass. Finishes with a light bitterness and some estery yeast and citrus hops lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

While this makes for a decent Belgian IPA, it's clearly a terrible NEIPA, which it's kinda branded as, and just feels really neither here nor there all in all. It's sort of like a lighter Duvel that's less heavy on the estery yeast and slightly more focussed on the hoppy citrus accents, but at the end of the day I'd really rather have either a proper Strong Belgian Pale Ale or New England IPA instead of this.

I dunno, It's kinda growing on me as a weird cross between the two styles that doesn't quite work but is still enjoyable enough in its own way. An interesting brew that's worth giving a try, but just doesn't quite come together in my opinion.

21. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,218) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Sunday afternoon, New Beer Swiggers and commentators. And thank you, Ian, for kicking off the thread today. It's been hot and humid lately - typical for late July in New Jersey - but without the normal rain. My lawn (btw most of what you see in the background is the neighbor's lawn) was looking great a few weeks ago but it's a sad sight now. Thankfully, between the time I took this photo and now it's started to rain. We need some soaking precipitation.

I think Kane's Overhead is my favorite DIPA brewed regularly in New Jersey. I'm not saying it's better than Carton's O'Dub, which I also love; it's just a matter of preference. Kane had brewed a couple of Double Dry Hopped versions of Overhead but this is the first time they've canned it. This version is DDH with Mosaic and El Dorado. I don't know what to say other than it's a stunning beer. Everything I like about the base beer is accentuated. It's both fruitier and more bitter. I was expecting big things and Kane delivered. Here's my full review:

4.59/5 rDev +2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed 3 days after can release. Poured into a Kane pint glass. It pours an opaque dirty tangerine color with two fingers of creamy eggshell-colored head and thick, foamy lacing of like color. The smell is fabulous: lemon, lime, orange, ripe melon, pine needles, and fragrant floral hops. The taste is equal to the aroma: the citrus and tropical fruit is so fresh and bright. The Amarillo hops are amazing. The lemon and grapefruit is tart and sharp while the malt adds a creamy sweetness. At mid-sip there is a burst of earthy, resinous, and slightly spicy pine from the Columbus hops. Mosaic is one of my favorite hops and the additional dry hopping really accentuates the other flavors. The Simcoe and Centennial hops add a biting bitterness that is enhanced by the dry hopping with El Dorado. The mouth feel is plush and creamy with a perfect level of carbonation. This version shares the 8.2% ABV of the regular Overhead and it gives it lots of substance. Overall, Kane has done exactly what it set out to do: It took its superb house DIPA and made it better. This is sublime drinking!

I hope everyone is enjoying their new beer(s) today. I have another local IPA in the bullpen and will be back soon. Cheers, NBS!

22. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,451) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah they've been canning for a while now. Their site still says they utilize the Burton Union method but it seems like a strange gimmick because none of their beers really have a pronounced element from the oak. Their stuff is generally decent but not awesome from my experience.

Up next is my final beer for this edition of NBS, a nice big (8%) IPA featuring Galaxy and Citra. Streetcar Suburb is a week-old(!) IPA from Winter Hill Brewing Company out of Somerville, MA. The last time I reviewed these guys for NBS was in October 2018, and they seem to have changed their design up a bit since then.

[​IMG]

The pour is on the clearer side of things, which is unusual and cool to see in this day and age. It's got a little bit of a "plain lager" appearance to it, golden and stable with a solid head of white foam that leaves behind incredible soapy lace as it sinks to about a finger-and-a-half. This is an admittedly-odd looking DIPA for the modern era, but I actually think I like that about it. Not everything should necessarily be hazy/juicy, ya know?

Nose is very strong on the Citra side of things with a catty and tropical aspect right upfront that brings out some herbal and earthy funk along with light dank resin, tangelo, and grapefruit rind. Heady passion fruit and peach come out as it acclimates to room temperature (which it is doing very quickly due to the atrocious humidity today's overcast, summer-storm-laden weather has brought with it), so that's probably more on the Galaxy half of the deal here. Kind of a fun nose; it's definitely not juicy, and the yeast gives it a little bit of a hand on the estery side of things, but it's not overly aromatic or intense. Just kind of a more "minimalist" treatment of these two well-known hops. I'd rather it be dialed-back and enjoyable than overly-dry-hopped and hop burn-y and stuff, of course, so this might be a good thing.

Flavor profile has some spruce and woodiness, some odd tannic elements, grapefruit rind bitterness, chalky aspirin, papaya, tangerine peel, nectarine, and a little grassy note as well. This is really strange, and actually kind of enticing. I think the Citra is far more played up than the Galaxy here, honestly, but they work well together. Malt bill might be coming off a little strong, with a touch of sweet breadiness in the mid before the finish wipes it all out with another hit of citrus and some passion fruit to round it out. A touch of resin and grassiness as well. Oddly well-balanced, with a good overall feel, and a hint of the 8% ABV in there as well. Not the best IPA I've had, and maybe not the best treatment of these hops, but... it's good!

23. champ103

Society

Next up, Spencer Monks' Reserve Ale. Belgian Quadrupel 10.2% ABV

[​IMG]

Pours a dark mahogany brown color. A dense one finger+ tan head evenly fills my Rochefort goblet. With excellent retention and sticky lace clinging to the sides.
    A wonderful malt aroma. That goes from dark baked bread, toasted grains, to chocolate covered figs. Caramelized brown sugar, spicy yeast. A bit of warming alcohol in the nose.
    Again, big malts flavor wise, and you need to let it warm up. Baked brown bread, caramelized sugars. Toasted malts, that boarded on a little roast. Then the chocolate, figs, raisins come into play. Spicy yeast characters mixed in as well.
    A full body that is well carbonated for the style. Though this is silky smooth. A wonderful sipper, as this is has a lot of alcohol, which becomes warming and packs a punch.

Wow, this is a damn good example of a Belgian Strong Dark/Quad. There is a lot of complexity here, that many American brewers don't always get with the style. Will be getting more, and probably upping the score a bit as well, after a few more tries. Highly recommended.

Overall score 4.22
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33618/277409/?ba=champ103#review

24. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,502) Mar 7, 2013 Canada
    Society Trader

Howdy, all!
    It is Sunday once again and I am just puttering around the house doing things here and there. My balcony is set for summer drinking, my office/guest room is cleaned and more decorated than it was, some plants are pruned and it it time for a beer that I am a little reticent to try. A NNNEEEIIIPPPAAA as the thunder rolls on an otherwise nice day here in Montreal. Now I have Garth Brooks stuck in my head...

I do my damnedest to stay objective and open-minded with trying new beers, but sometimes it is hard. I get that this review might come off as harsh, but I've tried really hard to be patient and flexible, over months of spending money and am starting to doubt my own sanity. A little over a year ago a new brewery opened really close to my house. They have a very fancy tap room an American style New England IPA approach and seemingly a lot of potential. There is only one problem: their beers are not very good in my opinion. At least not the ones I've had. And especially so if I consider how people gush about them. In the interest of fairness, I have given them a fair shake on multiple occasions and have given them more money than I should, but their beers, the people themselves and their packaging have a lot of characteristics that I am turned off by. The beers are always released online, are expensive, hyped and very green (hop burn, yeasty, I've had a couple with diacetyl, etc.), they don't date their cans but have the audacity to tell you to drink them fresh, the beers are universally incapable of maintaining head, you can only buy in four packs and they have no core offerings so it is always a complete gamble on something new to you AND new to them since they rarely repeat, additionally they seem to put more work into merchandise than their beer (they sell skateboards for fuck's sake) and every time I've gone the staff was rude and generally too cool for school. Or at least for me.

There is one other confounding factor for me: they have become insanely popular and sought after here. What makes that bad is that it has made me feel like a lunatic old man who has completely lost touch. People go nuts for these beers seemingly exclusively as a result of hype and FOMO as far as I can tell. Since I hear such constant raves, I ventured there a couple weeks back and bought 2 four packs after a couple months'hiatus after the last time I bought expensive beer to hydrate my kitchen sink drain. This time I got an IPA and this one. A quick look on untappd showed people drinking murky, headless awful looking beer a couple hours after the release, multiple people used "ashy" as a flavor descriptor and proceeded to score it 4.5. Anyway, I have sat on this one to let it mellow hopefully (arguably doing the brewer's job for them) and I'm finally ready to give it a try. Like I say, I want it to be good and I am trying to be objective and nice, but to be honest, if this one isn't a drainpour it will be the first of the ones I bought. God it hurts to type that. Literally money down the drain.
    [​IMG]
    It pours hazy yellow with a very short-lived soapy white head. No retention, no lacing.
    The aroma is candy-like. Lime juice, mango, hard water, rotting tropical fruit. The flavor is definitely mellower than I was expecting and than their other beers drank fresh. There is some white pepper, some booze and a little of the fruitiness from the nose. It is relatively drinkable I suppose, but it is clearly a 10+% beer. It looks okay, but not as nice as it could be. Overall though it is about par for my experiences with TIPAs. A little too sweet, a touch boozy and not as refreshing as I like from something hoppy but not too bad. I wish this had come in an eight ounce can. Regardless of any of that, though, this is probably the best beer I've tried from these guys so far. I actually look forward to drinking it again, maybe not 3 more times, but I'll manage. lol I would (and will tomorrow) score this one upper 3s, low 4s. Not bad.

What's crazy to me is to think that (and I have found this with every other beer from them I've had) they don't round out and start tasting good for two weeks but by then a lot have people have drunk all of it. If people generally say it is great at a day old, even with identifiable off-flavors. How great must it be on their scale by two weeks? Their heads would probably explode. Further, I get that people are sticklers for dates on beers like this. I am too. But if they aren't going to date the cans, why not sell them once they're up to snuff. Anyway, who knows, I'm neither a professional brewer or businessman so what do I know?!

Have a good one everybody.

Santé!

25. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,162) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Happy Sunday, everybody! I haven’t done a review in a while so figured this treat from Forest & Main would be a good one to do. Plus, it’ll go down nicely on a 93° day like today (judging from the temp map looks like 75% of the country had a high 80s though 90s today).

[​IMG]

“A Bear Walked Through A Crowd” by Forest & Main Brewing Co.

From their website:
    Well, onto the review:

Poured from a slightly chilled 750ml into a teku glass. Light amber (SRM 8ish) in color with a wispy white head, which surprisingly settles slowly into a fairly modest lacing (I say “surprisingly” because, in my experience, chilled spontaneous ferm saisons such as this typically yield zero head retention).

Funky aroma. That signature farmhouse/Brett character is there but it’s also got oak and green apple fruitiness as well. Flavors follow the aroma, light funky barnyard/musty garage, more green apple, subtle wheat/grainy sweetness. As it warms you get some underripe strawberry, notes of gooseberries. Very dry finish. Very refreshing. I’m sure this will hold up very well but I love this blend as it is right now. For me it’s up there with some of the best I’ve had from places like Suarez Family Brewing, Hill Farmstead, etc....I can’t give it much higher praise than that, so it’s 4.5 across the board for me!

26. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,231) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Enjoying a nice, balanced pale ale from @beertunes. Chuckanut New World Alex

4.14/5 rDev +5.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thank you beertunes for this
    500 ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A- A clear golden straw with a two finger white head.

S- Earthy, light fruits, pears, some citrus, pale malts, a little floral.

T- Pears, light fruits, citrus, pale malts/biscuits, earthy floral.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A straight forward and well balanced pale ale, very easy to drink.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

27. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,502) Mar 7, 2013 Canada
    Society Trader

I love Schilling. If you ever make it to NH, their brewery/pub is one of the nicest setups/locations I've ever been. It's perched on a little cliff in an old mill above the river in a very quintessentially New Englandy town (at least to my western eyes). Truly beautiful location and excellent food. Hell, if this whole situation ends and you find yourselves in NH, everything's on me! It's a quick jaunt from Montreal.

28. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,565) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

it's one of the few ales they make. They are one of the country's best Lager breweries.

FBarber, TongoRad and larryi86 like this.
  29. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,218) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    NBS #2. Sit Tight, a DIPA from Magnify. It was released on 6/24. One of the early knocks on Magnify was that it pumped out hazy IPAs that had a yeast burn. Things have certainly changed. The brewery has become very adept at producing big, complex IPAs. There is a lot of flavor, for sure, but it's delicate. Sit Tight is hopped with Citra, Motueka, Wai-iti, Sabro, and Ekuanot. The result is both fruity and earthy and without a lot of bitterness and no yeast burn. It drinks almost too easily for 8.1% I admit I'm a homer and am rooting for Magnify. But they're brewing some dynamite beer these days. Having been there from the beginning I'm really happy for them. Here's my full review:

4.29/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed 4 days after can release. Poured into a Magnify tulip glass. It pours an opaque, honey-tangerine color with a large, creamy, bright white cap and thick, clinging lacing. The predominate smell is tart lemon with whiffs of melon and perhaps mango. The taste opens with the expected lemon and a touch of lime, papaya, and grapefruit but there's a really substantial, crackery malt presence. The Motueka hops accentuate the malt in the background. There's also a cream flavor that may reflect the use of Sabro hops. As the glass warms, I'm noticing more melon and tropical fruit notes, as well as a spiciness that I attribute to the Ekuanot hops. All of these flavors and delicate and complimentary. This is one tasty beer! The feel is thick and viscous with moderate carbonation and it doesn't drink like it's 8.1% Magnify is so good at softening it DIPAs so that they're flavorful but somewhat understated. A real sign of mature brewing skill.

30. beergoot

Society Trader

I'll keep your generous offer in mind.

Mrs. BeerGoot and I were in New Hampshire back in October, 2013. I have friends and family in NH. One of the spots my wife and I spent a few days was in Claremont, along the Sugar River, at a spiffy Common Man Inn.

[​IMG]

Common Man Inn and Sugar River by David Perl, on Flickr

Needless to say, we love the area (along with Cape Elizabeth, ME - where we spent a few more days, as well in Porstmouth, NH). We do intend to return...heck, we might even use our passports and travel to Canada one of these days. I, at least, plan to for a Great Lakes bicycle tour sometime soon...

#70 beergoot, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Roy_Hobbs, ChicagoJ, Txex06 and 13 others like this.
  31. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Straight West Ghostin', a Saison brewed with Citra hops in collaboration between Belgian brewery Fantôme and American brewery Polymath (7.5% ABV).

Pours a cloudy, golden amber coloration with a huge, fluffy, lasting head and visible carbonation. Smells of biscuity, crackery malt, fruity yeast esters of green apple, pear and gooseberry and as zesty lemon/orange rind accents.

Taste follows the nose, with a good balance of biscuity, crackery malt, fruity esters and bitter, zesty citrus hops, with notes of green apple, pear, gooseberry and lemon/orange rind, as well as some spicy accents of white pepper and clove. Finishes bone-dry, with a strong bitterness and some green apple, gooseberry, lemon/orange rind and white pepper lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

This is quite a hoppy, dry, zesty and bitter Saison that still manages to maintain Fatôme's characteristic yeast profile with some rather fruity and somewhat spicy yeast esters. While I'm not usually a huge fan of hoppy Saison, I think that Fantôme and Polymath did a terrific job of creating a fusion of American and Belgian Saison here that works out quite well with its bitter, bone-dry character and combination of rather fruity/spicy estery yeast notes and quite zesty citrus accents.

In light of recent threads, I'd also like to add that there was zero gushing when opening this, not even minor foaming, and that I will edit this post upon final sediment pour.

EDIT: Not that much sediment to this one, actually, but final pour seems a bit more full and estery, although I'm rather drunk at this point and this may just be my imagination.

Pinz412, superspak, SABERG and 23 others like this.
  32. larryi86

Society Trader

Now that I know that, I would say that really shows in this ale. It is a good ale and has a lot of qualities I enjoy in a well brewed lager

ChicagoJ, Premo88, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  33. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,846) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Pinz412, superspak, SABERG and 17 others like this.
  34. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,206) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

I'm cheating a little because I actually had my first one of these last night, courtesy of @Dimidiata. I wouldn't say I exactly slammed it, but I wasn't drinking it super-carefully, either. Definitely had some initial impressions, and following up this afternoon to see whether they're confirmed. I've drunk hundreds of Plinys in my day, so I was anxious to see how this "For President" variation stacks up. There's supposedly a slightly different hop bill, and the can says "DDH," but it's my understanding that Pliny ihas always been double dry-hopped, so I'm not sure why this is called out.

Right away, I notice that the color is lighter/brighter than what I'm used to with Pliny, and the head not nearly as impressive. A vigorous pour of regular Pliny can yield a two-to-three-inch initial head; this barely reaches one inch and settles down quickly to about a quarter inch. Aroma is pure Pliny, but with slightly less "cat piss" than I'm used to and fond of. There's something definitely different about the taste: the malt seems slightly bumped up, cutting back the zingy bitterness I'm used to, although as it warms there's a nice, oily resinous flavor that emerges, not unlike Knee Deep Simtra. There's maybe even a slight citrus note that I've never associated with PtE(?) Mouthfeel is pretty much the same as regular Pliny, though maybe a touch softer. Is it a good, even great, beer? Yes. Is it on par with regular Pliny? Not quite. I think I'm just so imprinted with so many stellar bottles of PtE that I really can't see the point of messing with perfection. Crossing my fingers that regular PtE will find its way into cans at some point. Until then, I'll certainly enjoy my remaining cans of Pliny for President. @Roguer

[​IMG]

#74 JayORear, Jun 28, 2020
    Pinz412, SABERG, Roy_Hobbs and 28 others like this.
  35. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (327) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I love Lagers, I love Sours. I saw a single of Stoneyard Meanace Lemon-Lime Sour canned on 05/22 and picked it up, it did not disappoint. Drinks lighter than the 6% and is not too heavy on any flavor and perfectly balanced. Hazy look to it and the head did not stick around. Enjoying drinking this one slowly and would gladly drink again.

Roy_Hobbs, ChicagoJ, Amendm and 9 others like this.
  36. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,576) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good evening y’all! I got this new to me beer at the brewery during our RV trip to California last summer - Firestone Walker’s “Twenty Two Anniversary Ale” (2018). A blend of seven barrel aged component ales, from:

44% BBA Stickee Monkey
    22% BBA Parabola
    22% BBA Bravo
    7% Rum BA Helldorado
    5% Gin BA Helldorado

I’m a huge fan of FW, and excited to pop this top...let’s go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 57° pours ruby brown with excellent clarity; fast, fizzy light tan head disappears quickly leaving a thin incomplete ring, no cap, no lace; heavy legs and some micro dots of lace on swirl. Bourbon nose becomes phenolic as beer warms; boozy rum on exhale; semi sweet malt. Rum up front, followed by spicy gin, bourbon, semi sweet toffee, vanilla and oak; no hop flavors, no bitterness. Medium minus body; moderate minus carbonation; smooth mouth feel; warmth from 12.7% abv; slight boozy burn on tip of tongue; almost dry and yet creamy at the same time. Overall, balanced but boozy; gin and rum linger; amazing how such a small percentage of spirits compete with bourbon barrel notes; easy to drink as this blend feels thin, but taste reminds me to sip; barrel flavors dominate the malt backbone, yet I’d be happy to drink again.

4.25 | 4.0 | 4.5 | 4.5 | 4.5
    Score 4.37 rDev +0.2%

#76 DoctorZombies, Jun 28, 2020
    Pinz412, superspak, SABERG and 26 others like this.
  37. beergoot

Society Trader

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! -- Aphrodite Méchant

[​IMG]

4.05/5 rDev +2.5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Coal black, opaque body; incredibly dense and sticky khaki head. Sweet aroma, primarily caramel and brown sugar. Excellent flavor; roasted and slightly charred grain; nice overall sweetness; vanilla; a subtle underlying bitterness. Hea avy body yet rather drifting towards a subtle softness; crispness noted underneath the sugary sweetness; somewhat dry, somewhat sweet mouthfeel.

This is a very nice stout, rather sweet in nature yet displaying some fine, mellow dark undertones.
    ---------
    I finally found Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!'s Péché Mortel earlier this year in Boulder, CO while attending a David Bromberg Quintet / Electric Hot Tuna concert. The beer was found at a huge beer emporium near our hotel. And recently I find that beer and this one locally. It's been here before, but since my understanding of the French language is crap, I assume "Péché" meant 'peach' and never bothered to try.

Boy, was I wrong on that note. And what an eye opener to have that beer back in March or so.

And now to try this other stout from our northerly neighbors...!!!

Well, @TheDoctor swayed me to try this one now. My local beer store of choice got a drop the brewery's beers a week or so ago. So, this is one of the two I picked up (the other was another bottle of Péché Mortel.

And I'm living the dream...

Pinz412, superspak, SABERG and 20 others like this.
  38. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,227) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Hello NBS friends from a “juicy” Northern Indiana, which is another way of saying that it’s hot and HUMID” here 30 miles-ish from the shores of Lake Michigan. I have a couple of beers to review this evening, both the fruit of NBS BIF’s.

If you’ve participated in this thread the last 4 years or so, you know what a fan I am of the NBS BIF’s - they’re literally the most fun you can have with your clothes on, IMHO. You get to send and receive some incredible beers from and to places you’d normally never interact with on a beer nerd level, but more importantly, you get the opportunity to “meet” some incredibly generous and magnificent people, courtesy of the “Hints & Hauls” thread.

NBS BIF #11, for example, is filled with a great mix of NBS BIF veterans and newer participants. There’s been a staggering amount of great beer moving around the country for 3 months now, but it’s winding down.

Or is it? I won’t speak for anyone in this BIF, but I know I have beers still from BIF’s that date at least to the spring of 2018 (NBS BIF #7), and have enough beer from that beer nerd extraordinaire @Roguer in #11 to extend another year or two. Note: if you send me BA stuff, I’m definitely a “holder.”

So today’s first beer is from our friend @larryi86 and #10 in the fall of 2019, and I know I have at least a couple more from him, so you’ll see those as I work through the BIF cellar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.24/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy straw color with a soapy white head, the nose has tart, fruity, funky aromas, and a nice earthy aroma underneath.

The taste is very tart and funky, and there is a peach flavor, but it’s subtle, which is a really good thing - there’s more than enough tart and funk to go around, and an overwhelming amount of peach flavors would detract from how refreshing this saison is.

The mouthfeel is crisp and dry and lively, adding to the refreshing nature of the beer. It’s done so very well, which isn’t surprising, given the prowess of the brewery.

39. larryi86

Society Trader

I love Pourison, I’m pretty jealous since I think I drank my last bottle right around the time I sent you that. Tired Hands really does know how to brew a saison that can age well.

Roy_Hobbs, ChicagoJ, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  40. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (127) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Stella Artois Solstice Lager
    [​IMG]
    Pours a golden color with quickly disappearing head. Smells of typical industrial Euro lager.

Taste starts light and crisp, but quickly fades to stale grain. Very thin mouth feel, even compared to its year-round counterpart. Hardly any substance in the flavor except for a gross stale grain taste, like a bad Mexican lager.

I’m not sure what the deal with this is. It’s somehow both boring and kind of disgusting, and I usually like regular Stella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.