New Beer Sunday (Week 801)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Jun 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,164) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I am loving this can of Forest & Main The Lady, @CanConPhilly talked it up as a great traditional saison and @zekeman17 was kind of enough to swing a can my way. They did not under sell this beer, this is a most try for those that enjoy beers like Orval and Saison DuPont!

4.4/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thank you Zekeman17 for this
    16 oz can poured into a tulip

A- A hazy golden copper with a three finger white head.

S- Wheat, light fruits/pears, some lemons, a very nice earthy funk.

T- Slightly tart, lemons, pears, light fruit, wheat, a very nice earthy funk.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A beautiful saison, very easy to drink. Comparable to beer like Orval and Saison DuPont given how yeast driven this.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers NBS!

2. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,157) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Beer #2 this evening is from our friend @Ozzylizard in NBS BIF #7 in March of 2018. I am pretty sure this finishes off the last of the magnificent beers he sent to me (the hidden gem for me was Blithering Idiot from Weyerbacher, a big ol’ English barleywine - I absolutely LOVED that beer).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.34/5 rDev +7.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black, with a lot of mahogany brown on the edges, and a minimal dark tan head. Could be an imperial porter, which is a niggling distinction, I admit, but this doesn’t quite have the “heft” I look for in a 12% BA imperial stout.

Where this beer does have the BA imperial stout profile covered is with the rich milk chocolate, caramel, and vanilla aromas - and the booze from the barrel. Oh yes, there is booze.

But the booze, which is a nice, not-so-subtle heat at the end of the taste and sits nicely on the palate, does not detract from the milk chocolate and caramel flavors, it enhances them, especially the caramel, which is the flavor I most enjoy and appreciate in this flavorful stout.

The mouthfeel is in line with a BA imperial stout, even approaching “creamy,” which I didn’t anticipate, given the booziness. But the bottle refers to this as a “Chocolate Martini Imperial Stout,” so the booziness should be expected.

This is in my sweet spot for big stouts - loads of chocolate and caramel, but enough barrel to stay away from cloying. Really, REALLY well done.

3. ovaltine

Society Trader

The key with a saison is “subtle yet confident,” IMHO. That beer is all that and a bag of chips. Thanks so much for sending it my way.

larryi86 likes this.
  4. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,164) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Subtle yet confident, that is a great summary of how Tired Hands brew and age their saisons. They do such a good job making saisons so light and dry. I’m glad you enjoyed it, I’m always happy to send out their saisons when I have extra on hand!

5. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,834) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,432) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

Back for some more beers not too much new for me these days. Always thinking of what's next on the beer road.

Managed a little time away, which brought some new goodies. Some more familiar others not as common. For now lets just start off easy. What's new for our hero today??

[​IMG]

Poured from the bottle into a Libbey style pilsner glass.

Frothy rich egg white head, making easily two possibly even more finger height, with some really good retention. Soapy lacing manages to suspend from the top, meeting a light brass colored and fairly clear bodied lager. Fine streams of carbonation rise up and round it out. Very nice looking brew.

Aroma is quite pleasant. Very noticeable herbal hop angle, with touches of sweet chewy malt as well. There's a touch of sulfur like quality as well which is not large but strangely makes a nice balance to the sweetness. Hints a little sticky and pasty smelling as well.

Palate seems to stick to the basics, but comes with a little bit of a disclaimer. First sip is a bit of dense malt, but a good portion of honey like sweetness that comes on the tongue as well. Comes out a little thick but not horribly so, with a touch of hop cutting bitterness to get through some of the sugary quality.

An ok pils, just not a really good or great one.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75 | 3.87/5 rDev +8.1%

Cheers!

7. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,425) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

First new beer is Bunny Fuku from Brouwerij West. Poured from fridge temp. Pours hazy orange with white head. Nose is pineapple, mango, nectarines, and a touch of citrus. Some hoppy notes, along with some wheat. Really nice and inviting aroma! Taste is fantastic - creamy tropical fruits abound. Definitely pineapple and mango, along with some papaya. Bread, oatmeal, and figs. Overall a fantastic IPA. Cheers all!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

8. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,997) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Loved the review - and I agree, across the board.

If PtE is a "perfect" beer (and obviously, I think it is), then PfP is a great, but not perfect, beer. I definitely noticed the same thing in terms of appearance; it in no way holds up to what I would expect from a fresh bottle of PtE.

I really, really damn liked this beer, though (the one can I had). The slight change to the hop bill might actually even make it slightly more approachable.

I found it just good enough to eke into my top 10 (right ahead of Westmalle Tripel). I probably subconsciously gave it more credit than it deserved, if I were to assess my biases - but only subsequent cans could possibly help nail that down, so if anyone's sending .... :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

9. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (123) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Another New Beer, Tucher Helles

[​IMG]fish in flower vase
    Significantly better than the Stella, but an average Helles by Bavarian standards. Fairly sweet with some sugary malt poking through.

Pinz412, SABERG, VABA and 10 others like this.
  10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,997) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Haha, I definitely take a different tack: I tend to crush through those BIF boxes (especially the IPAs, naturally). If I sit on bottles, it's usually the large format (22/750), rarer finds, so that I can at least try to share them with others.

That said, with all the ninja boxes that have flown this round (I think it's our best since #8, although the Spinal Tap theme pretty much ensured that, right?), I do still have a beer or two left in the fridge, waiting to be explored. :slight_smile:

11. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,425) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Next up is Hammer of the Lion from Clown Shoes. It has been quite a while since I bought a Clown Shoes beer, although I have always enjoyed them a lot. This one sounded really good. Poured from fridge temp. Imperial stout blended with wee heavy ale. Aged in rum, bourbon, and brandy barrels. Pours black with light tan head. The nose is surprisingly subtle. The brandy and bourbon come through nicely, along with dark fruit. Toffee, plums, and some roasted malts come through. The taste is really nice. A bitterness comes through right away - a mixture of coffee grounds and charred wood. The rum barrel is evident on the taste, and I would say I'm not the biggest fan of this component. Definitely getting some nice cherries, plums, raisins, and vanilla. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but still really nice. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, but good. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

[​IMG]

12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,696) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Did you try their Midnight lager?I really enjoyed that one ... and was planning to grab this one based on that prior positive experience. But after reading your review, I think I shall pass. Thanks for taking one for the team. :wink:

13. ovaltine

Society Trader

I hit the hops immediately, too, and I'll go after some of the BA stuff pretty quickly, but my default position on BA imperial stouts is "hold."

This round has been incredible, specifically due to the newer participants - they've absolutely rocked.

PS: there's something happening on Tuesday afternoon in my neck of the nape that may have an impact on a couple of porches from #11. IJS.

14. ovaltine

Society Trader

I thought Midnight Lager was really good - I think my local still has some, and Imma pick up a 6er even though the "Best By" date is 5/4/20. I loved it after a hop bomb.

ChicagoJ, TongoRad and FBarber like this.
  15. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,319) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

One more new beer for this Sunday
    [​IMG]
    Past Lives Saison from Outer Range
    16oz undated can poured into an Urthel tulip glass at fridge temp 5.6% ABV. The beer pours hazy soft golden yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to splotchy ring and a few small islands. Minimal lacing. The aroma is mild with vague Belgian yeast, dry hay and grainy malt. The taste is yeast driven with clove, pepper, bubblegum and very slight banana all mixed up over a soft, yet substantial, pale malt base. Mild bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with above average carbonation and a very dry finish. Overall, very good saison with everything I look for in the style and none of the crazy hops / added stuff that I don't prefer. Well crafted and easy to drink. Thank you @beergoot!

Cheers all!

16. Amendm

Amendm Champion (805) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Late to the party as usual but, I have an unpretentious and easy drinking AIPA.
    Making Its BA debut, Ocean Rd from Lops Brewing of scenic Woonsocket RI.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

3.85/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An average pour released a finger sized fizzy white head with short retention, it shrunk to an island with spots of lace.
    Cloudy, translucent yellow straw color. I can see my fingers, can't read large print through it.

Pale malt greets the nose in the form of cracker, bread and dough. The hop smell is herbal and citrus (mostly lemon).
    The smell is on the light side, not much to it other than some grainy silage and cut grass.

The taste begins neutral on sweetness with lower than average bitterness, Not a very bold taste, balanced and smooth though. The finish is semi-dry and quick, almost crisp. Hop flavors linger during the aftertaste where bitterness reaches average. The items noticed in the smell are repeated during the taste with the hops ahead of the malt.

Medium light body, below average carbonation. This Beer seams to be on the borderline of American and New England style IPAs. I'm going with AIPA due to the semi-dry finish and It's not fruity. Alcohol is well hidden, smooth and clean.

17. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,450) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Well, no picture today, but keeping with the theme of old beer...

Canned last July, Foundation Tropical Jam. Must have picked it up on vacation. Tasting room sample, and I recall the missus opening a can but this is my first official consumption. Pours moderately hazy, golden color, nice fluffy inch high head that hangs a while.

Delivers on the name...strong tropical fruit aromas, lactic, pineapple, passion fruit, guava, and a brighter lemony note to lighten things up.

The taste follows. Not extremely sour, but pleasantly offsetting to the heavier tropical fruits. The lemon gives a nice lift. Pineapple and passion fruit are the dominant tropical fruit flavors. A little bitterness on the finish, just A hint. The flavors are clean, well-blended but still identifiable.

Texture is smooth, medium body, almost creamy. I'd call it soft on the palate.

Not usually my jam, but I like this beer. Ok, so about a year in the can, the color was great and the flavor has held up well. I do know my fruit flavors and how they degrade - maybe the flavor is less intense than it was, but not degraded or oxidized. I like it, I can dance to it, nice for a summer afternoon on the patio...3.8 territory.

18. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,808) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Miss you all. Hopefully I will be able to return soon or drop a few in. Working like crazy and driving back and forth twice a week- 4 hour drive. Great reviews as usual. See you soon.

cjgiant, SABERG, Roy_Hobbs and 9 others like this.
  19. Amendm

Amendm Champion (805) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Just getting this one in under the wire, a true to style American Blonde Ale called Summer Rays from Cisco Brewers Inc. of scenic Nantucket, Massachusetts.

This is this Beer's first rewiew although someone submitted a rating this week.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

3.94/5 rDev -0.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

An average pour with a slight kick at the end produced a fat finger of frothy white foam that turns rocky with long retention and blotches of lace. Pale straw color, chill hazy at first with a real haze that I can read medium sized print though.

Light smell of herbal and piney hops with biscuit and rising bread dough. Lemony citrus hops in the background with toasted multi-grain bread.

The taste is neutral on sweetness with low bitterness, light but noticeable malt bill per style. A faint twinge of apple and dry grape juice that is neither sweet nor sour breaks in. The finish is Lager-like fast and almost crisp, a faint attempt at sweetness lasts on. The after taste is short and mellow.

Light bodied, abundant carbonation softens the feel. Very smooth, balanced and session-able. Alcohol is almost undetectable. Overall very on point to style, nothing unusual to report.

#99 Amendm, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Pinz412, jkblr, Snowcrash000 and 8 others like this.
  20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,472) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Great read. And thanks for all of your belly button gazing transparency. :wink:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  21. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Mighty kind of her. @Dimidiata And knowing your love of Pliny, I was looking forward to your observations. I look forward to getting my hands on some soon.

JayORear and ChicagoJ like this.
  22. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Well Hello Late Night NBS.
    Not really contributing a new beer here. But more of an "old" new beer. I popped a 2017 Bruery Terreux Frucht: Peach. I know you can sit on a Berliner for a spell, but maybe not 3 years. Holy Hell, if it didn't hold up nicely. The main drop off was in the carbonation, and a slightly muddled peach note that was a tad subdued compared to fresh. But all in all, a refreshing sunny day drink.

Pinz412, JayORear, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,696) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Evening everyone, back with one more before the end of the day. I am really excited for this one since its such an odd beer. What Even is Blue Raspberry Anyway - a sour IPA from Evil Twin.
    [​IMG]
    Pours a bright teal color with a thick two finger white head that dissipates pretty steadily. Thin layer of foam remains on top of the beer. There is a dark blue residue that dribbled out of the can towards the end and eventually pooled at the bottom of my glass.

Aroma has notes of tart blue raspberry, light notes of wheat, and a slightly sweet candy like note.

Taste has notes of sour blue raspberry, candied green apple, jolly rancher, with notes of wheat and a moderate acidity on the back end. that acidity becomes a bit astringent and the beer is consumed. Also, not surprisingly, this is quite sweet.

Feel is light and spritzy. Really dry kind of abrupt finish.

Overall this is a unique but hella weird beer. Its like the beer version of a blue raspberry jolly rancher. Part of me loves it, part of me hates it. Regardless, I am glad I got to try it once.

2beerdogs, Pinz412, jkblr and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.