New Beer Weekend #122

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roguer, Nov 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snaotheus

snaotheus Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I've been excited about finally having another barrel aged stout after so many fresh hop beers and various styles in Japan...this one came to me from @superspak in NBS BIF #15.

Barrel Aged Sap On Tap from Grand Armory Brewing.

12oz can served in a WABL sample glass. I don't see a date on it. Got it from @superspak in NBS BIF #15.

Pours very dark with a fairly small head, looks thick. Head settles into a creamy ring and a filmy dark tan skin. Smell is maple sweet and boozy, some coffee, vanilla comes across as a creaminess.

Taste is more bitter up front than I expected. Tons of coffee. Maple sweetness is in there, vanilla creaminess is there too. Definitely get some of the booziness and a little char from the barrel.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy. Overall, this is a better than average barrel aged stout.

Thanks, Ian!

GreenBayBA, woemad, kemoarps and 17 others like this.
  2. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Pipado
    [​IMG]
    6% Marzen by Jackie O's

12 oz can pours a brown-gold body with small initial head. Modest lacing.

Sweet malt nose with hints of honey.

Taste follows nose with a hop bite on finish.

Strong carbonation with a sweet and slick mouthfeel.

Solid Marzen in a busy style market. Drink your local marzen instead.

GreenBayBA, woemad, kemoarps and 17 others like this.
  3. Roguer

Roguer Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

This next one is certainly truth in advertising.

[​IMG]
    Magnify Danksgiving IIPA

Green, dank, dirty, herbal - and wonderfully bitter. Those herbal notes add excellent depth and complexity in a balanced IIPA, but this one is lacking sweetness from the malt base, and juiciness from the hop expression. There's a touch of citrus peel, but little else.

That really leaves this as a "what could have been" kind of beer for me. It's excellent, and others may like it more than I, but if there were a stronger citrus presence from the hops, it would be elevated significantly. As it is, it's still excellent.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/40579/314894/?ba=Roguer#lists
    4.03 / -1.2%

Thanks, @MacMalt !

Cheers and good night, Weekenders!

JayORear, GreenBayBA, woemad and 19 others like this.
  4. jkblr

jkblr Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening NBW
    I was all set to pour a French Toast Bastard at 11am, but got called in to work for the afternoon. I switched gears when I got home. Not sorry about that.
    [​IMG]
    Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Black Maple

12.7 ounce bottle vintage 2022 poured into a Duvel glass at just above fridge temp 11.5% ABV. The beer pours midnight black with no light penetration and meager light brown head. The head recedes to a pencil thin ring and little else. The aroma is moderate in strength featuring chocolate, caramel, bourbon and maple in no particular order. The taste is semisweet bourbon soaked chocolate, maple and caramel. Earthy, mildly bitter. Really, really delicious. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with less than medium carbonation and a semi dry / sweetish finish. Not cloying, with the bourbon and earthy notes pulling it back from that ledge. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall, excellent, outstanding etc.

I'll take this moment to state that I bought this bottle & two others, cold, in a gas station in a "village" in Ohio...

Ohio's beer game is strong. Stopping at that same gas station next month when I return to visit my grandparents. Cheers all!

GreenBayBA, woemad, kemoarps and 15 others like this.
  5. snaotheus

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Lowercase - IX Lives Hoppy Pilsner

16oz can served in a footed pilsner. Canned 08/12/22.

Pours clear golden with a big fluffy head that settles slowly into lumpy peaks. Lots of carbonation. Smell is very bright and hoppy, a little lemon zest and general citrus, and a strong green grassiness. Tiny bit of yeasty bread comes through.

Taste is right along the same lines -- I get a bit more lemon and a bit less grass and a bit less yeasty bread.

Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, light. This is a really nice beer.

GreenBayBA, jkblr, woemad and 15 others like this.
  6. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I am home from work, and it's time for a beer. This is the 2nd one I selected tonight, after I found out my first I picked was a 16% beer in a 16oz can. Nope, not going that crazy tonight.

This beer is thanks to the generosity of @MonDak_Joe1953

[​IMG]
    Oarsman - Brockopp Brewing - Valley City, ND - Saison - 5.5% ABV

I don't think this is a saison, This beer has a lot going on. It might be classified as a Rauchbier - it's listed as a smoke beer on Untapped - because of the smoked malts. It uses Kveik yeast, so maybe it's right as a saison. I am not sure what this beer would fit under. All I know is I really like this beer. I am a huge smoked beer fan, and this is just hitting the spot perfectly tonight. This is delicious, and I will be looking for more of this when next I'm in North Dakota. Heck, it could be as early as next weekend, since I'm off work next weekend, and maybe a brewery run is in order.

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/60623/603033/

4.34/5 rDev +7.2%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    This beer pours somewhat of a caramel color. Once it's in the glass it has amber notes to it. It also looked somewhat thick while pouring. The head is 2 finger, and off white. The head retention is quite good, and there's lacing on the glass.
    The aroma has notes of the malts in it, but it's also got a pleasing smoke aroma. This isn't a bonfire or ash tray smoke smell, more like from a smoker smoking some tasty meat.
    Taste starts out a buttery biscuit malt flavor. The flavor quickly turns to smoke. The smoke in the flavor is more intense than in the aroma. With the smoke the buttery biscuit flavor continues and lingers.
    The body is lighter, but not watery at all. The feeling of the smoke lingers in my throat, along with the buttery biscuit.
    I love smoke beers, and this is a delicious one. Quite impressed, and will be looking for this when I'm next in North Dakota.

GreenBayBA, jkblr, beergoot and 14 others like this.
  7. snaotheus

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Single Hill - Adams Pilsner

16oz can served in a tulip. No date on the can.

Pours clear light yellow with a biggish head and a lot of fine carbonation. Smell is moderately floral with a little cut greens, yeast and grain.

Taste is light grainy sweetness and a lot of grassy bitterness, lots of honeysuckle to brighten things up.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. Overall, very nice pilsner.

GreenBayBA, jkblr, beergoot and 13 others like this.
  8. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Evening all! Sneaking in at least one (maybe two) before the night wraps up. This is Goldfinger Brewing Co. Polish Pils - Marynka & Lunga Hops. IIt is the first in a forthcoming series of "polish pilsners" - pilsners showcasing with different Polish hops.

[​IMG]

Pours a pale gold color. Slightly cloudy, but still somewhat clear. Thick frothy white head forms on the beer and sticks around for a bit before eventually dissipating completely. Aroma has notes of straw, white bread, and some sweet malty notes. The hops bring some herbal spiciness and a subtle hint of pineapple. At least on the nose these hops work really well in the pilsner.

Taste follows the nose with notes of straw, white bread and sweet grainy malts. That gives way to spicy, herbal hop notes with a touch of mild fruitiness that has notes of lemon and pineapple. You get a woody, acidic like character from the pineapple-like notes. Again, works really well with the pilsner. Feel is light, crisp, and easy drinking. A real crispy boi.

Overall another excellent pilsner from Goldfinger.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25 = 4.35 (rDev +3.3%)

GreenBayBA, jkblr, beergoot and 9 others like this.
  9. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Song of the Sea, a Dortmunder export lager from Holy Mountain and Sea Creatures. Compliments of @kemoarps in BIF #16.

Poured at fridge temp into a Namibian lager glass. Pours a golden yellow with great carbonation. White head with tons of lacing. Crystal clear. This is an absolutely gorgeous beer.

The nose is immediately grainy, soda crackers, sourdough bread, honey, a hint of sweet caramel, and a nice earthy note.

The taste is super smooth and refreshing. A nice sweetness is immediately apparent. Hay, bread, grass, earthy, slight citrus peel hoppy taste, honey, a touch of caramel, and a floral spice. Very nice. I could drink a few of these every day. Mouthfeel is quite dry and light. Crisp.

4.18/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

GreenBayBA, jkblr, beergoot and 12 others like this.
  10. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Bellwoods Life is Relentless BBA Imperial Stout with Coffee.

[​IMG]

Pours a deep oily black/brown. Thick. Minimal head. No lacing.

The aroma is light barrel, black coffee, cocoa and roasted grain.

Taste follows pretty closely. Bourbon barrel is mild. The coffee is sweeter. Nice roast notes in the background.

This is very thick. Sweet. Enjoyable. A slow sipper.

While the barrel notes are very understated, the sweetness isn’t off putting and the base stout is flavourful. Pretty good.

GreenBayBA, jkblr, beergoot and 11 others like this.
  11. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Received from @Victory_Sabre1973 in NBW BIF #16, and my first beer in a week as I was getting over a nasty cold. So obviously, a fruity IPA is good for that, right?

Poured apricot orange yellow and not at all pulpy but fully opaque. Off white head was sparse and brief. Curious.
    The aroma was lost on me, between chemically damaged nose and recovering from a cold, the aroma had no chance.
    The taste was not at all what I expected, the fruit was present, the lactose and oats even, but as they didn’t put oats in I am guessing that was the vanilla. Interesting presentation.
    The feel was again unexpected, smooth and way to easily downed.
    OA, I wouldn’t have thought it a milkshake IPA if it wasn’t labeled as such, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

GreenBayBA, jkblr, beergoot and 11 others like this.
  12. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Cheers to @ovaltine for this Revolution Imperial Anti-Hero DIPA, 10.0% ABV; 4.17 overall

Pours an effervescent honey/copper color with a pinky of ivory colored head. Pretty good lacing & almost above average head retention

S: Bready, a little pine, some citrus once warm

T: Bready, piney with caramel, a little grapefruit, some biscuitty malt notes too up front. Piney, dry with grapefruit & a little cakeyness, caramel & woody hops as this beer warms up. Finishes cakey, piney with a little grapefruit

MF: Medium body/chewy with creamy carbonation, nice balance

Drinks super easy, ABV is deceptive, old school West Coast leaning Imp IPA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whyteboar, GreenBayBA, jkblr and 13 others like this.
  13. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Ok, one more for the day - Cruz Blanca - Rey Cuvée - Vanilla (2022).

[​IMG]

So, I am going to start with the aroma on this one because that is what is immediately noticeable. From the moment that can is cracked there is this right aroma of fresh vanilla that just punches you in the nose. underlying that are notes of maple, chocolate, roasted malts, spicy rye whiskey, oak, bourbon and some marshmallow. The aroma is robust, pungent and absolutely delicious. Now for the appearance. Its pitch black and dark as a starless night. Moderately viscous, but not one of these brownie batter stouts. Thin, weak, fleeting brown colored head.

Taste follows the nose - up front you get the roasted malts, chocolate, rye, charred malts, and lots of fresh vanilla. The rye whisky brings a certain spiciness to the beer and the bourbon gives it this brown sugar and maple quality. It is a bit hot - the bourbon and rye barrels come through loud and clear all while warming you up. Feel is medium to full bodied. Prickly carbonation. Drier finish.

Overall this is outstanding. Rich, decadent, and delicious. A must try for fans of barrel aged beers.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5 = 4.49 (rDev +2.3%)

Whyteboar, GreenBayBA, jkblr and 9 others like this.
  14. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Great review of a beer I love. I’ll drink one tomorrow. Cheers!

15. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBWers,

Saturday was a beer-free day for me, so I didn't encounter a new beer until today, shortly after a breakfast of waffles consumed with some pure maple syrup courtesy of @Roguer, so it made sense to hit a beer from him as well, and I had just the one, a coffee stout from Tree House:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28743/556052/?ba=woemad#lists
    Although I expected a straightforward coffee stout, it was both less coffee ish and more complex than I expected, and was a bit more openly boozy tasting than I expected from a stout that was not aged in barrels of some sort of alcohol. It would make an excellent dessert or nightcap on a cold winter's night such as tonight's (yes, I'm aware it's still November, but the fall is definitely a thing of the past around here, and has been for a couple weeks).

Later on today, I ventured to the northwestern part of my city where a combination bar and bottle shop is located that I rarely venture to due to the distance involved. Although I was mainly there to acquire some beers for shipping, I availed myself of a couple items on-tap.

First, a dark Mild from Imagine Nation called Fail Again Fail Better:
    [​IMG]
    I didn't review it because I was concentrating on checking out their bottles and cans while drinking it, but it was a textbook dark mild ale.

Then I had myself a 10oz pour of the Turkish Coffee Edition of Balance, an imperial stout from Wander:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34416/629786/?ba=woemad#lists
    Brewed with both coffee and cinnamon, the latter was especially robust, too much so, really, and it'd be interesting to get one and lay it down for a while, long enough for it to fade a bit. If that happened, I think I'd like it more.

Probably my last hurrah for new beers tonight. Cheers!

Whyteboar, GreenBayBA, jkblr and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.