New Beer Weekend #123

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Nov 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacMalt

MacMalt Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Saturday evening, New Beer Weekenders. After reading numerous reviews of this years Coffee BCBS from respected BAs I wasn't sure what to expect. It's sort of a mixed bag: good coffee flavor but rather sweet and acidic and a fairly lite in mouth feel.

It pours a dark walnut color with almost a finger of frothy, medium-mocha colored head and sheen of lacing. The rich nose offers roasted malt, freshly-brewed coffee, cocoa, caramel/toffee, brown sugar, burnt nuts, and earthy char. It's chocolate forward with acidic coffee grounds, toffee, and earthy, burnt nutty char. The bourbon barrel influence is noticeable but subtle and adds modest sweetness. Overall, I'd describe the taste and sweet and acidic. The mouth feel is rather lite for such a big Stout. The carbonation level is low and it doesn't drink like 13.2% ABV.

4.41/5 rDev -5.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I seem to be in the middle on this BCBS variant. It's a nice Stout for sure but not worth $25. I'll review another tomorrow. Cheers!

2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Plato's Shadow (2022), a double barrel aged imperial stout from Private Press Brewing in Santa Cruz. Former Jackie O's brewer came over to the west coast to start this member-only brewery. This one comes in at 14.4% ABV.

Poured at fridge temp. Pours jet black with a little bit of brown head. The nose is chocolate, bourbon, roasted malts, vanilla, a bit of molasses, and perhaps a layer of marshmallow.

The taste is fantastic. Bourbon, chocolate, brown sugar, sweet toffee, vanilla, coconut, raspberries, blackberries, marshmallow, figs, walnuts, and a touch of Christmas spice. Interesting.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. The aftertaste is sweet toffee. Overall, a great stout.

4.28/5 rDev +0.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

3. MacMalt

Society Trader

This variant certainly has mixed reviews. While I rated it somewhere in the middle I'm bothered by the price point. It's not worth almost double the base BCBS.

4. MacMalt

Society Trader

It sounds fabulous but in my area it's over 40 bucks a bottle. I can't bring myself to spend that much for 16.9 oz. of beer.

5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Shadowboxing from Monkish. A Belgian dubbel.

2022 can poured at fridge temp. Pours a dark brown/reddish with a lot of fluffy off-white head. Good retention.

Nose is cola, blueberries, Belgian yeast, apricot jam, and granny smith apples. Really interesting on the nose.

The taste is super smooth. Toffee, malts, yeast, bread, brown sugar, red grapes, and a candy sweetness. Really interesting.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Aftertaste is sweet caramel.

3.94/5 rDev +0.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

[​IMG]

6. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Evening all! Started drinking the BCBS beers today over the in-laws. First up was the single distiller HH Easter Eggs bottles. Lots of dark fruit in that one along with the barrel and fudgy chocolate. Really nice BCBS.
    [​IMG]

Next up was the Bourbon County Brand Biscotti Stout. This was fantastic. Tons of fudge and chocolate, just enough anise and licorice to give that hint of biscotti and then the barrel and bourbon. Absolutely loved this one - very glad to have a second bottle with which to do a proper review later.

[​IMG]

And now, this evening I have opened up a Bourbon County Brand Sir Isaac’s Stout

[​IMG]

Pours pitch black, viscous, and completely opaque. One finger frothy mocha colored head forms on the beer, longers for a moment and then dissipates. No residual head remains. Aroma has notes of dark fruits, graham cracker, bourbon, oak, chocolate, and roasted malts.

Taste is much stronger than the aroma - lovely notes of dark fruit, figs, graham cracker, vanilla, chocolate, cacao all melodiously cascading across the palate. That gives way to the finish which has the bourbon, maple, brown sugar, oak, roasted malts, and some more chocolate. Its honestly very impressive how well they captured a fig newton in this beer. And the result is really harmonious as the fig and dark fruits pair well with the base stout. Feel is thick, smooth and luscious. Strong carbonation for a barrel aged beer, but not overly so. Somewhat drier finish.

Overall a delicious beer from Goose Island and a worthy variant.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5 = 4.44 (rDev -0.2%)

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

It was $35 to $40 here. None of them are worth what they charge. I wonder how much they'd be if they were still independent Goose Island?

#127 bbtkd, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  8. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Breakfast beer as I watch a bunch of turkeys running around chasing each other in my next door neighbor's yard? Why not.

Reinoso - BBA Imperial Stout with coffee from Odd Side - received courtesy of @foundersasap
    [​IMG]
    Appearance is dark brown with a half inch of dense khaki colored head with good retention that receded to a thin cap and ring. Aroma is rich with loads of chocolate and coffee. Very enticing on the nose.

On the tongue it's reversed from the nose, with coffee taking the lead and chocolate singing backup along with the bourbon barrels. There's another flavor that I can't quite put a finger on that's very different than what I usually get in BBA stouts. Slick in the mouth with nice alcohol warming. Little to no bitterness.

Overall, very good breakfast beer.

9. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Up and at em'

This beer is thanks to @MonDak_Joe1953 .
    [​IMG]
    Pretty Mama - Belgian Blonde - Icewind Brewing - Mapleton, ND - 6.3% ABV

This beer looks quite good, and smells ok. The flavor, well, I think I know what they were trying to do, but they missed the mark a bit. This beer needs a bit of work. I might search out this brewery, when I'm in ND next year, and see what else they have.

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/60622/627896/

3.06/5 rDev -2.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
    This beer pours somewhere between golden and amber colored. The head is quite thick - 3 finger - and off white colored. The retention is decent, and there's a bit of lacing on the glass.
    The aroma is grassy and grainy smelling. The malts seem slightly roasted smelling.
    Taste - It is grassy and earthy tasting. There's a bit of sweetness up front. The sweetness is almost like eating an apple. That apple turns quite bitter on the backside. This bitterness isn't really pleasing at all.
    The body is decent, and not watery. That bitter flavor does coat my throat, and just doesn't feel right at all.
    I know what they were trying to do here, however, it needs some work.

Be back later with more. Cheers!

10. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! Back again with another New Breakfast Beer. I've been holding off cracking my BCBS bottles until I figured out the windows 11 "improvement" for photos - only three extra steps and now I can upload again!

Today's New Breakfast Beer:

[​IMG]

Warm Welcome Nut Brown Ale from Ridgeway Brewing, imported by lime Ventures, Concord, CA. 500 mL bottle picked up at World Market, SAT. On room temperature display at store. Stored at 34 degrees at home. Reviewed 27/11/22. Note that I use DD/MM/YY protocol.
    Rear label poorly stamped “L24 222”. Served at 54.5 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. The final temperature is 59.1 degrees.
    Appearance – 3.5.
    First pour – Medium Amber (SRM 12), clear.
    Body – Medium Amber (SRM 12), translucent. Under direct and rear light, same. This chill haze disappears, and the beer clears and sports a reddish hue.
    Head – Average (Maximum 3.8 cm, aggressive center pour), beige, high density with a few small rocks, quickly diminishing to an undulating 1.1 to 1.3 cm medium density crown and thin, rocky cap.
    Lacing – Fair. A wide thin band of tiny bubbles with a few larger holes. Above the band is a disintegrating band leaving many tiny pieces of foam.
    Aroma – 3 – Very weak malt and neither hops nor yeast. Extremely weak nuttiness that sent me to the kitchen to sniff nuts – not pecans, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, or peanuts. Maybe chestnuts, but I haven’t found any this year, so who knows?
    Flavor – 3.5 – Slightly bitter like biting down on part of a walnut pericarp. No yeast, but a slight maltiness is noted. No ethanol (6.5% ABV as marked on label) aroma or taste. No gastric warming occurs. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.5 – Thin, watery, soft but lively carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 3.5 Well. Every year I trundle to World Market while I’m in SAT to look for Ridgeway beers, weird foods in strange packages, and cheap Glühwein. This year the food was the tastiest of the three. Not that the beer was bad – the bitterness just seemed a bit much for the light body. The weak unidentifiable nuttiness didn’t help either. I can’t find the sales receipt, but these Ridgeway brews usually run $5 - $6 a bottle so at least it was cheap.

Rating 3.38, rDev -0.3%

11. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Those scores are pretty world class, not in the middle!
    I had my first last night and thought it was fantastic. The only possible knock is it being a little thin, but the base is thin this year

12. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Sounds like this has been a very strong year for bcbs. They needed it after the last two imo.

13. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Unless you were a Buckeye fan, then one 12% beer probably wasn't enough:wink::astonished:

14. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Welcome one and all to New Beer Sunday #927! Returning with a nice and easy beer to close out the weekend after some heavy hitters and several beers and shots meeting up with friends yesterday afternoon.

This beer is a German Style Pilsner I've heard good things about.

Urban Chestnut Stammtisch

[​IMG]

Bottle Notes:
    17.2 oz 5.4% ABV bottled10/19/22 @8:22 AM purchased for $3.00 from Beer on the Wall. German-Style Pilsner, Brewed and Bottled in Saint Louis, Missouri.

Reverence Series #8, Stammtisch is an informal group meeting held on a regular basis - more directly translating to 'table for regulars'. Our Stammtisch is a traditional German-Style Pilsner and a perfect accompaniment to any friendly gathering. Prost!

Appearance:
    Multiple pours into a slender tall Pilsner glass. Light clear yellow straw base, persistent and long lasting carbonation throughout, generous head leaves clumpy lacing in its wake. 4.5

Aroma:
    Noble hops shining well, cracker malt, salt and pepper, lemon grass. Consistent with the style and very enticing. 4.25

Taste:
    Consistent with the aroma, nice lightly salty cracker, pepper, lemongrass, floral notes. Just what I am looking for. 4.5

Mouthfeel:
    Everything in proper balance, flavors flow naturally and are enjoyable. Very light and easy, below the 5.4% ABV. Carbonation consistently gentle. Lightly dry, crisp drinking, light body, clean finish. 4.75

Overall:
    This is a really well craft Pilsner, hits all my preferences and so enjoyable. Not sure if this is a regular offering or periodic, but will seek this out in the future. 4.5

Well, three out of four excellent new beers, plus appearances by some old favorites (Tighthead Longsnapper and KBS) made this a weekend to remember. Going to finish catching up with the thread and enjoy this rainy quiet Sunday in Chicago.

Prost!

15. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, all,
    I came down to my hometown on Friday morning for "Fridaysgiving" at my folks place, as Friday worked better for the holiday meal than Thursday both for myself and my brother's family. So we ate ourselves into conditions approaching comas on a day without NFL football games. Instead we played black jack, something my 12-yr old niece is really into for math nerd reasons. Even Junebug, the Dog-niece, got in on the action.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, she wasn't very good at it and busted immediately.
    [​IMG]
    No new beers were consumed by yours truly, although I brought a 4-pk of local and regional IPAs and some other goodies.
    My brother was very impressed with a tallboy of Citra Slicker, less so with the magnum of Iron Goat Fragaria I opened up, saying, "I don't like it, but it's not bad," which I found hilarious. I brought a Hunapu that was courtesy of @Roguer, but it looks like I'll be taking it back home with me tomorrow.

#135 woemad, Nov 27, 2022
  16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society Trader

My first job was at the University of South Carolina, and I have always rooted for their sports teams. For the most part, they're not very good. Yesterday they were up against the hated Clemson Tigers. Carolina had a seven game losing streak against them, but after the way they handled Tennessee last week gave me some hope. And I was rewarded with a 31-30 Carolina victory. Go Cocks!
    Today the big boys get to play. Looking forward to some good games. My new beer for today is Barista, from Burlington Brewing Company.
    Very dark brown color, tiny beige head, no lace.
    Mostly coffee aroma, some chocolate.
    Strong coffee taste, think fresh-brewed espresso. Tiny bit of chocolate.
    Medium-bodied. If you are a coffee drinker, this beer's for you.

[​IMG]

17. BigIronH

BigIronH Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG] Breaking into a glorious Imperial stout today from Rob @MacMalt courtesy of his generous return fire in BIF 16.

Pours a cola brown with a decent oatmeal head reducing to a thin ring, lots of sudsy lacing. Nose is bitter chocolate, cola, coffee, and peanuts. Taste follows suit with a subtle sweet vanilla/marshmallow note. Feel is fairly thin given the ABV and the additives. Overall, fairly good. 3/5.

Cheers all.

18. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Its a beautiful day out. So out in my courtyard with a book I go. I think this is my last new beer for the long holiday weekend.

3 Fonteinen Hommage. Blended Fruit Lambic, 6% ABV.
    [​IMG]

Pours purple/blood red color. A small pink/white head forms initially. Though that recedes quickly with little lace. That color is really stunning though.
    Aromatic and tart berries and cherries up front and center. With an unmistakable earthy funk. There is a bit of oak and vanilla here as well. A really pungent and sharp aroma that I enjoy.
    Taste wise...oh boy, that sweet tart berry/cherry mix is there. Which becomes super acidic and sour. That funk, light oak and vanilla is there as well. Which tries to help balance. Though that acidic sourness becomes a little to much and makes this unbalanced for me.
    A medium body that has a nice crisp bite. Really well carbonated. Definitely some sweetness as would be expected, but finishes with a dry bite as well. Pretty classic for the style, but still its slow going. That acidity takes over to much.

I love 3 Fonteinen, and this is a good example of the style for sure. Though it is unbalanced for me. There are other Fruit Lambic's that I prefer over this, but still you have to acknowledge that this is exactly what they wanted to make, and I do enjoy it. Just not love it as much as others in the style, or even others from this same brewery. I would recommend this, if you enjoy intense flavors, especially sour acidic cherries, but not my preferred version.

Overall score is 3.7, B territory for me, but that might just be a bit low.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2216/39096/?ba=champ103#lists

19. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Back for another round or 4.
    I went over to my local - Back Shed Brewing for a couple of beers, and here they are:
    [​IMG]
    The Gourd Giveth - Kettle Sour - 6.4% ABV
    3.65/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    Murky golden pour with a white head when poured from the tap.
    Nose has a hint of graham cracker in it. No pumpkin spice aromas.
    Flavor starts out with graham cracker. It switches on the back to some lactose and pumpkin spice. The spices are very mellow. There's a bit of sweetness and a bit of tartness that are in the mix.
    The body is good. The feeling of tartness lingers.
    Delicious.

[​IMG]
    Paunchy & Left Eye - Oatmeal Stout - 6.9%
    3.75/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    Copied from mu UT review: 3.75 on UT.
    Pitch black pour with a tan head. Not much nose. The beer starts out slightly chocolate flavor. Some lactose does come into the mix. There's a slight bitterness that is pleasing and works. Reminds me of dark chocolate. Lighter body. Pretty good.

I'll post more later.

20. Dimidiata

Dimidiata Jul 14, 2017 California
    Trader

The nice thing is you can just recap it and put it back in the fridge and it'll taste just fine for days. And then you had a Private Press beer? Sounds like a fantastic evening!

21. beergoot

beergoot Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Hinterland Brewing Co. -- Luna Coffee Stout
    Stout with coffee added
    ABV: 5.8%; pouring temperature: 54 °F; bottling info: n/a
    Source: @GreenBayBA

[​IMG]

3.81/5 rDev +4.7%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Deep, dark brown body (looks black in the glass); thick, frothy, off-white head, thick, sticky sheets of foam inside the glass. Fantastic smell of grain char and weakly brewed coffee. The taste follows along with the aroma, dark roasted malt and coffee; mild cocoa and milk chocolate notes; very mild astringency; light bitterness. Medium mouthfeel; smooth and silky; some coffee bite and dry astringency counterbalanced with a soft residual sugar feel.

A pretty solid dark coffee ale coming across as a light-bodied stout with a decent coffee profile.

22. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Beats is infinite by Monkish

4.32/5 rDev -3.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25
    Can received from @beersnake1in bif16 as a result of an LIF associated with that event

Nervously watching Germany and Spain battle each other in the World Cup
    [​IMG]
    Brewers notes: Monk Double IPA showcasing Galaxy hops.

[​IMG]

Poured into an antique Germania Pilsener Wiesbaden stemmed glass

Hazy pale orange , creamy one finger off white foam cap, good retention, cloaking lacings

Aroma is tropical , passion fruit, orange citrus

Taste is tropical , passion fruit, whisper of peach

Mouthfeel is silky smooth , creamy …wondering if they are using oats

2 for 2, really enjoying this brewery , thanks @Beersnake1

[​IMG]

#142 WunderLlama, Nov 27, 2022
  23. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Mad Dog Tannen’s Cowboy Coffee
    [​IMG]
    6.3% American Porter by Brew Kettle

This coffee-forward porter was made in collaboration with Rising Star roasters.

Poured from a pint can, the body pours a dark black. Small initial head that dissipates quickly but good lacing.

The aroma was a delightful combination of light coffee and cocoa.

The taste ramps up the Sumatra coffee flavor which works well with the light malty bitterness of the porter. Body is porter-thin: not stout weight. Just pointing that out. No complaints here.

Carbonation is moderate. Mouthfeel is light and easy drinking.

Overall a very nice porter for coffee fans like me. I look forward to trying this porter on tap.

24. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Paunchy & Left Eye...ha

Got to love Townes Van Zandt, I'm assuming that is the reference :slight_smile:

25. VandilioffReborn

VandilioffReborn Apr 19, 2015 Canada (ON)

New Beer Sunday! Oh mid Sunday afternoon's - what a time to be alive!

Time for an ICE beer.

Sunday Afternoon, November 2022

On a cold rainy day, its time for some Ice beer. Poured aggressively into tall cylindrical pint glass ice cold from a frosty tall boy can. A very sleek industrial look to the can; with a name like Maximum Ice we could be talkng about close to anything here.
    Maximum ICE poured aggressively into a tall cylindrical pint glass. This lager beer is an aureate bronze with subdued carbonation from the pouring style. Atop the brew sits a sticky service envelope white head with big bubbles from the sugar used. It dissipates slowly and laces the glass well. Its a nice looking cold beer.
    Under the honker; aromas of wet brown bread, fresh sourdough, white salt crackers and a pinch of honey. The malt and bittering galena hops hit and create a pleasent fresh aroma; similar to a walk in refidgerator.
    Maximum ICE tastes of light caramel, English biscuits and a touch of table sugar. The hops bitter the beer and add some astringency and needed dryness.
    A highly drinkable lager beer of the ICE beer family. Maximum Ice has a refreshing and warming collection of light candied malts and well hidden alcohol. Its a nice beer.
    As we huddle in; Its a solid representitive of its style. I can certainly see this ICE beer pairing well with some ball park hot dogs or a huge bag of potato chips.

26. MacMalt

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Sunday afternoon, New Beer Samplers and commentators. Our holiday guests, including our granddog, have all left and peace reigns again. It's been a really nice long weekend. I was going to review Sir Isaac today but decided to take it easy after drinking a lot of beer and bourbon the past few days. First up is Focus Point, a 7% American "Vermont Style" IPA from Arvon Brewing Co. in Michigan courtesy of the generous @BigIronH in the BIF. This is a basic ale hopped with Citra and Mosaic.

It pours a hazy, golden-honey color with a large, creamy, bright white cap and thick, soapy lacing. The aromatic, fruity nose includes tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, and a whiff of ripe red berry. Its taste, however, emphasizes tart, fairly bitter lemon and grapefruit with only faint notes of the sweeter fruit I smelled. The tried and true bill of Citra and Mosaic works well. While the hop bitterness isn't overpowering it's sharp and clean. This ale has a fairly lite, crisp mouth feel with solid carbonation and it drinks easily at 7% ABV.

4.06/5 rDev -4.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A very enjoyable American IPA. Thank you, Harley!

27. foundersasap

foundersasap Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Feeling a little euro here drinking an English Pub Ale and watching soccer, Post and Beam, Bitter Buffalo, thanks to @Roy_Hobbs for this one, easily generated head that quickly disappeared leaving a cap, faint aroma of malts, taste follows a bit sweet, grainy, smooth light bodied, decent beer even though it’s undercarbonated and a bit underwhelming.
    [​IMG]

28. woodchipper

woodchipper Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

This one's been in my beer fridge for awhile, can't explain why I kept putting it off. It's time.
    [​IMG]
    3.58/5 rDev -10.9%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
    Poured from a 11.2oz bottle dated 28 JUL 22 to a diagonally cut tumbler at fridge temp but was slowly sipped and allowed to warm.
    The body is opaque black with a short, deep tan head on top that fades but provides some quickly disappearing lacing.
    Chocolate is dominant in the smell as is the alcohol. Some dried fruit can be sensed also.
    The taste brings the dried fruit out more prominently; cherrys, raisins, all “chocolate covered”. This beer bridges between the sweet and the bitter. Overall the taste is reminiscent of a box full of a fruity alcohol chocolate sampler.
    Mouthfeel seems rather thin frankly, but it does make you lips sticky.
    I am not quite sure about how I feel about this beer. It was worth the experience, but will probably not be a repeat purchase.

29. MacMalt

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    NBS #2: Other Half's Double Dry Hopped Riwaka + Motueka. My son-in-law-to-be bought a cooler full of Kane, Other Half, and Tired Hands to take back to North Carolina. I hadn't tried this one so I snagged a can. Motueka is one of my favorite hops. This ale is just what I hoped it would be: a nice balance of tropical citrus and grassy, herbal notes.

It pours an opaque, grassy, pastel yellow with a half finger of foamy, bright white head and lots of thick, clinging lacing inside the glass. On the nose there is lemon, lime, grapefruit, and grassy - almost herbal - notes. It definitely taste like New Zealand hops with strong lemon and lime, hints of tropical and stone fruit (especially as it warms a bit) and the unique herbal hint of rosemary or basil. What little hop bitterness there is is very clean. It has a dry, tropical punch quality. It's pleasantly carbonated and the mouth feel is surprisingly lite and crisp for 8.5% ABV.

While I can understand that this hop combo isn't for everyone, I'm a big fan of Motueka and really enjoyed it.

4.18/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have a great week, everyone!

30. SABERG

SABERG Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good Evening NBS/nbw and thanks to @SawDog505 for the early start this weekend.
    I hope everyone had a lovely holiday with food and family, we certainly did, plus some live music!!
    Todays offering is from Chicago, Revolution certainly has the barrel program dialed in. As a coffee stout fan, this one did not dissapoint.
    A welcome closer to this full tilt weekend.

Café Deth

Oatmeal Stout | 14.8% ABV
    Revolution Brewing in Chicago, Illinois

Reviewed by SABERG from Massachusetts

4.19/5 rDev -4.6% | Average: 4.39
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
    Poured from a 12 oz can dated 9/28/22 into the test glass
    A - Gunmetal black, a quick pour created a loose knit off white cap. The cap quickly dissipated. During the remaining experience, threads accumulate in the center, gather and run to the edge.
    S - Barrel vanilla, coffee, raisin, Char, bakers chocolate.
    T - All the aromatics, with a deeper dried fruit experience, plum, dark roast coffe, with anise kissing the edge of black pepper.
    M - Medium in body, sweet start is quickly shifted to center with enough biterness, finish is espresso dry, linger is candy, alcohol, and forever.
    O - A beauty of a beast, the body is misleading, with each sip this punches coffee, bourbon, dark fruit, rich chocolate.
    Worth every penny.

[​IMG]

31. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

ok...back from watching the Germany / Spain game at a friend's house and it's time for another beer. This is Jail Fire, a Rauchbier from Muddy York Brewing Co. received from @Coronaeus

I love Rauchbier's....let's dig in
    [​IMG]
    Appearance is a bright honey color with a relatively thin amount of medium density head. Aroma has light smoke and some caramel malts. On the tongue, the smoke is more pronounced, but still relatively subtle for the style. Some light caramel malts balance out the smoke. Light bodied and very, very easy drinking.

Overall, a little less smoke than I prefer, but for the average person, this is probably a good thing. I still really enjoyed it. I have a soft spot for easy drinking, well made beers, which this is.

---------------------------------------
    Super important point for Germany. Could easily have been three (Musialia's decision not to square the ball and then Sane at the end standing out in particular). Either way, decent chance of advancing, just need Spain to beat Japan and then they need to take care of business against Costa Rica.
    I completely agree with the "underwhelming" comment on this one. I hadn't tried any of the Post & Beam beers I sent you before sending them, which is always a risk. The others have been pretty good, but this one was mostly a miss for me.

32. VandilioffReborn

VandilioffReborn Apr 19, 2015 Canada (ON)

Sorry it wasn't your bag. You lost some chocolate beer virginity today.

33. jkblr

jkblr Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    My first time with this legendary stout.
    [​IMG]
    Shitty picture, but it's Bourbon County Coffee

4.37/5 rDev -6.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16.9oz bottle Drink By 06SEP24 GI 15:51 poured into an oversized snifter at fridge temp after a 10 minute warmup 13.2% ABV. The beer pours impenetrable black with no highlights and medium brown colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and a scattering of micro bubbles. No lacing. The aroma is moderate in strength featuring bourbon, bourbon barrel, caramel, chocolate fudge and black coffee. The taste at fridge temp is black coffee and bourbon barrel in a rush before bourbon lingers. Once it warms, caramel and chocolate are there as well. Mild to moderate coffee driven bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with just less that average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. ABV is well hidden cooler, but starts to assert itself as the glass approaches room temp. Overall, excellent. Less coffee than I would have expected, but still an excellent BBA stout.

Big question, would I buy it again? Absolutely not. Would I buy it for half of the $27 I paid Friday, absolutely not. It's ironic that there were cases of KBS, Willetized, and Deth's Tar / Cafe Death at the store where I noted guys buying this one and others equally overpriced by the case...

I ticked it. I'm moving on. If I'm back it will be much later. Cheers all!

34. foundersasap

foundersasap Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Getting into a highly regarded one here, TH Very Green, a whale sent my way thanks to @Roy_Hobbs, very heady aroma jumps right out of the can, beautiful pour with excellent head, sticky lacing down the glass, sweet fruit up front, but a hop bite on the back end, smooth creamy full mouthfeel, glad to have this “100” beer thanks Ross
    [​IMG]

35. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

Next up is Queen Machine OG from Tree House. The can describes it as "the ultimate expression of our Queen Machine single hop line-up". I describe it as "tasting a lot like every other Tree House beer". Maybe I'm just cranky switching from a Rauchbier (style I love) to an IPA (style I don't).
    [​IMG]
    3.67/5 rDev -15.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
    Appearance is a somewhat murky orange, with the highlight being a robust, off-white colored head with excellent retention, lacing and legs. Aroma is bursting with tropical notes (grapefruit, mango, papaya). Taste is similar to the nose, with a blend of miscellaneous tropical flavors and a little bit of hop bite on the back end. Feel is smooth, but slightly thin to me.

Overall, if you like NEIPAs, you'll probably love this beer. For me, as a non-IPA drinker, it's solid, but I lack the refined palate to be able to clearly distinguish among most of Tree House's offerings. As is often the case when I drink IPAs, they make me thirsty, which is the exact opposite of what I'm typically after when I drink a beer.

----------------------
    I hope to be back later with one more beer while I watch the Eagles game.

36. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Time to get real here and it's thanks to @Beersnake1
    [​IMG]
    Reality Czech - Czech Pilsner - Moonlight Brewing - Santa Rosa, CA - 4.8%

Ok, I have no clue to as why I'm so low on the average, but I did like this beer a lot. Clean, crisp, easy drinking. Delicious.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/763/22173/

3.79/5 rDev -11.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
    Clear golden pour with a 3 finger white head. The head retention is quite good, and it took a long time to pour the beer into the glass.
    Slight malt/grain nose. A bit of bread biscuit here.
    The flavor is malty as expected. The flavor has a lot of grain in it. Bread and biscuit. Slight earthy flavor. There's a slight bit of bitterness on the back from the hops.
    Light, crisp clean body.
    Easy drinking and delicious.

Maybe one more? We'll see.

37. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Hows about a little Nelson tonight.
    Been looking forward to this courtesy of @Nugganooch
    Kern River Brewing
    Camp Nelson IPA
    Pouring a crystal clear golden color with a nice creamy head, excellent retention and lots of lacing.
    Dank on the nose with lemon, lime, white grape and grass, herbal
    Taste follows with white grape, citrus, a bit of mango. Theres a slight spicy peppery note that reminds me just a tiny bit of Alpines brew - doesnt have the darker caramel aspect of that brew though.
    Nicely bitter with grapefruit/pine on the dry quenching finish. Medium_light body.
    Stands on its own as great representation of Nelson hops.
    Dug it. Thank You Dane!
    [​IMG]

38. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Jan 13, 2011 California
    Society Trader

My pleasure LB! Cheers mate :beers:

39. Roy_Hobbs

Society Trader

I didn't pick up any Bourbon County this year, but that won't stop me from staying in the family so to speak with this 2020 Bourbon County Caramella Ale, received courtesy of @Ozzylizard in NBS BIF #15 this past spring.
    [​IMG]
    Pour a translucent, almost artificial red with a small amount of short-lived off-white head. Aroma is super sweet and caramel forward with barrel and maybe some apple lurking in the background. The taste is more complex than the nose. There's caramel for sure, but both apple and cinnamon are also distinctly present. I'm impressed by the deft touch used with the cinnamon, as 75% of the time brewers use more than I think they should and it overwhelms. That's definitely not the case here. This beer is very sweet, and combined with the ABV will mean I'll likely sip it over the next 2-3 hours. Body is light for the ABV, Overall, an enjoyable Sunday night sipper.

Thanks, Bob. Enjoying this one!

40. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

How about a little Dr Nandu.
    Waited a but to take the pic.
    Double Nandu Aeronaut Brewing
    The single version is excellent. So the first thing I notice thats different is that this is hazy as compared to the single which is clear and caramel.
    Understandable due to alot of dry hopping. Golden orange in color with a bright white and short lived head. Sticky lacing is prevalent though and a thin cap remains.
    Lots of dank cannabis, soapy hops, dark berries, passionfruit, pineapple and sweet orange.
    Tastes just as it smells with citrus coming in first, tropicals and cannabis, juicy fruit. Bitterness rounds out and balances the drink with a slightly slick but then drying tangy finish. Medium/heavy body with no hint of 8%. Totally different from Dr Nandu single hopped- as best as I remember. Ita hopped with Mosaic which I happen to dig. Delicious beer. Happy I bought the last 4pk. BTW Aeronaut is underrated...
    Cheers![​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.