New Beer Weekend #123

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Nov 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nugganooch

Nugganooch (1,249) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Society Trader

AleSmith Barrel Aged Vietnamese Coffee Speedway Stout ~ 2022 release
    [​IMG]

I shall preface this with the fact that I have never had prior versions of this brew and am also not very familiar with the Vietnamese Coffee flavors...

[​IMG]

Looks much like the base beer which is a darkest cola brown color when held up against the light. A tight dark khaki foam capper holds for a few minutes. A bit of dotted lace noted.

The nose opens with rich dark malts, cold pressed coffee, and bakers chocolate. I get some light toffee, vanilla, and coconut along with some woodsy earth like elements. A touch of boozy sting detected.

On the palate this is not coffee forward for me at all. Predominate are flavors of dark roasted malts, toasted nut/nougat, dark berry/fruit, earthy and woodsy. Some chocolate bitters, softly charred marshmallow, toasted coconut. Well masked alcohol with a light warming on the exhale. All in flavors are well blended together.

Mouthfeel is on par with the regular Speedway which is probably considered thinner for todays market I would say. A bit of malt stickiness but fairly dry, bitter, and semi-frothy on the tongue.

As a coffee stout maybe a pass for most but for a BA stout overall this is pretty damn good and a steal at the price point. Not their best BA offering but a definite step up from the base Speedway. I prefer the smaller format offering as well. Cheers BA! :beers:

2. Whyteboar

Whyteboar (933) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

On my way home from Thanksgiving in Dickson, TN. Stopped halfway because it’s just easier to do two 6 hour drives than one 12 hour day.
    [​IMG]
    Another from a Nashville brewery: St Charles Porter.
    Poured dark, like coffee, and the beige head struggled to get to one finger of height before settling down to a rim of lace.
    The aroma was mild, a little coffee, a little cola. Strange but true.
    The taste is pretty solid, rich malts and respectable hops balanced for chocolate and coffee and peat, or something similar. Tasty.
    The feel is thinner than I like my porters, made it to easily gulped. But that’s not altogether bad.
    Not many other TN beers this trip. Bummer for me.
    Cheers all!

3. superspak

superspak (2,159) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday. Amazing holiday family week. I finally made it home after meeting with her parents and brother who was in town. We went to Cafe Elena in Columbus for 2 hours for brunch. A bit of rain and traffic from Cleveland in the morning, but we made it around 1230. I would say for a first real life discussion face to face it went amazing. Talked about my career and goals etc. Books and travelling. So it looks like I will be able to be a dotted line on her side of the tree. Visiting their house on xmas eve. On the way back to my sisters house. My nephew better not disease it up again :stuck_out_tongue::confused: her parents are older generation so likewise had some reservations about my "self medication" route(aside from where I USED to be, yet to be discussed alas), but I told her mom that equal understanding of anxiety/mental empathy between us, and related difficulties is how we made it this far. I could see from her reaction to that statement I got the point engrained. :sunglasses: :clap:

I got a Spanish Frittata skillet and burned the roof of my mouth. it was outstanding with potatoes and ham cubes. Candied bacon was amazing too. Chewier texture and the balance of sweet/salty was spot on as well. Just brown sugar. Cwispy.
    [​IMG]

Got burger king when we got home at 10PM. I got a triple whopper and forgot to ask for cheese so just did the deluxe singles slices at home and it was killer. Burger king just has a unique taste that I always have nostalgia for I guess. Even if it is a mess of wet sauce and vegetables on top :grin: My appetite sucked with a cold for 4-5 days so I finally feel satisfied after that drive. We listened The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman and it was amazing all around. Will read the rest of the series for sure. The book was narrated by the author and was directed with a whole crew of voices 5/5 stars.
    [​IMG]

NBS BIF#16 started from @Ozzylizard . 5 Stones Shepard Boy. Lightly hazy/cloudy golden appearance. Great head retention and spotty soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas are big and juicy with normal Citra notes of tangerine, grapefruit, passion fruit, berries, pine, cracker malt, herbal/floral/grassy hops. A bit of yeast ester earthiness. Very vibrant, juicy, and dank nose. Taste follows with big grapefruit, orange peel/rind, passion fruit, wood, mint, berries, peppercorn, pine, cracker, bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Large sized pine/woody/rind bitter finish. Medium carb and body. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky/resinous/oily hops on the finish. A bit crisp on lingering resins with mild hop astringency. Good level of aggressiveness for a pale ale. Advertises citra hops as DDH, but the palate character does show a strong feel of Columbus hops mostly as well. Taste leans more toward earthy pine and woody resins. Certainly smells fresh to me. A very west coast style hazy. If you like them that way. Always love classic C hops as well. 4.22
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.