New Beer Weekend #91

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, Apr 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Poo-Bah (1,864) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    This should be intense. The color is pitch black, with no foam. The smell has a very strong coconut ambiance, with bourbon, fudge, vanilla, and a bit of graham cracker. The taste has has a stronger fudgy black licorice and bourbon flavor, with coconut on the back end. Sweet, but not too sweet. It is very well-balanced. I was surprised. I thought the coconut flavor would take over, like the strong coconut scent indicates. The beer is 15.6% ABV, but it hides the alcohol well. The mouthfeel is smooth, thick, full, and oily. Overall, I am quite impressed with this beer. I was expecting a pastry stout, but it is a well-done BA stout, with a touch of coconut sweetness.

2. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,716) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Space Grass by Angry Chair

4.29/5 rDev +4.6%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

Chilled can poured into a nonic

Hazy pale orange liquid capped by a two finger fluffy off white foam cap , good retention, reduces to a rocky foam one finger layer

Aroma is citrus orange, grapefruit, hint of lemon lime, hint of grassiness

Taste is is orange citrus, grapefruit

Smooth, hop flavor, no bite , semi dry finish

Good beer

3. Danmullens1

Danmullens1 Poo-Bah (1,548) Mar 24, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I think I liked it slightly more than you, but definitely agree more of a cocktail than a beer. I will drink the other three, not sure I can say the same of the 7 Layer Stout but have to give that one another chance. Cheers, Micah!

4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The purchase of this beer and perusing the list of other top beers in its *ahem* "style" is what led me to start the thread, "Why does the style 'Rye Beer' exist?"

There is no bleeping way this beer and a 4% ABV lager belong in the same style by any rational definition of style. "Rye Beer" is not a style. It is a "Collection of beers we don't know where else to put them since they all contain rye" list. Sorry. Micro-rant over.

Boulevard Rye on Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged Ale
    ABV: 12.2%
    IBU: 33
    [​IMG]
    Dark brown-red from the front, bright, but hazy as expected from the rye, ruby with a back-light. Beautiful with the back-light. Moderately carbonated. Short light tan to off-white bubbly head with short retention, leaving no lacing.

Relatively strong aroma. The alcohol hits first, followed by raisins/dark fruit, spice, and bread, but the alcohol is pretty dominant in the smell.

Delightful flavor. Raisins, spice, bread, caramel, vanilla, rye bread. There's a sweetness to the flavor that is balanced by the spiciness, but even so, the overall leans toward sweet, but not overly sweet or cloying.

The alcohol, while not as in-your-face as in the aroma, is NOT well hidden. It's obvious and up front. It's not hidden at all, in fact, well or otherwise, giving a definite rye whiskey note with the alcohol. This is a strong beer than drinks like a strong beer. The flavor of alcohol/whiskey is obvious, but the warming effect, while not absent, is only just noticeable in my mouth. Although this warming does tend to grow the more I drink.

This beer starts on the sweet side, and maintains that through to the finish. It is not (very much not) a dessert beer, but it is sweet on the sweet-dry scale. It is a sipping beer. I need to drink it slowly to appreciate the nuances of flavor and also to control the alcohol hit.

The body is medium, with just a touch of carbonation initially that pretty much disappears by mid-way through the beer, leaving a feel more like a complex-tasting (but perhaps a bit creamy) whiskey, smooth.

Overall, an excellent Barlerye Wine. I really (really!) enjoyed this beer. This may become an annual purchase. I've set a couple back in my cellar, so maybe I'll build up a 2 or 3 year vertical (although, how I'd survive a 3 year vertical... probably not a good idea). Anyway, in a year or so I'll bring one up from the cellar. Perhaps 10 months - next February?

L: 4.25 | S: 4.25 | T: 4.5 | F: 4.25 | O: 4.5 | Rating: 4.40

5. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,428) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Cool and windy today, need something warming. This fit the bill nicely!
    Received via LIF associated with NBS BIF #15 (Or was it 14?) from @Coronaeus.
    Poured oil black with very little mocha colored head which managed to stay much of the drink.
    The aroma, even to my damaged nose, was bourbon and coffee and buckets of rich malty
    scents. That doesn't happen for me often!
    The taste followed, bourbon was definitely in charge but allowed plenty of space for the base stout and the other flavors to come out and play. Lots of coffee, cocoa, a little vanilla maybe and just rich, deep malty goodness.
    Feel was good, albeit a little less lively than expected, it still went down too easily.
    OA, this is a really fine BBA stout. Nice it comes in a responsibly sized bottle as I could easily have downed a bomber of this.
    Thank you Peter!

6. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,574) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Hemlock State Brewing in Mountlake Terrace. Their signage says they opened in 2012, but when I asked the guy behind the bar how long they've been around, he said 3 years. Maybe that's how long they've had that location?

MacMalt, JayORear, Whyteboar and 6 others like this.
  7. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sounds like an amazing weekend in store, enjoy!!! See you tomorrow.

Looks like a cool spot to have a beer at, right there amongst the tanks.

MacMalt, jkblr, JayORear and 6 others like this.
  8. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (3,716) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Samuel Smith organic chocolate stout

ranked #3 for BA on English stouts

[​IMG]

4.25/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a nonic

Brewers Notes: Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Dark cola brown liquid topped by a two finger creamy taupe crown, good lacings

Aroma is sweet milk chocolate

Taste is sweet milk chocolate with faint roast malts

Sweet, low sudsing , smooth

Good beer

9. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,241) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Great write up. I totally understand what you mean. Something there are elements that are correct, but not quite right to excite.

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, JayORear and 8 others like this.
  10. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,394) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks to @SawDog505 for kicking things off today. Starting with Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen Pomegranate. Poured at just under fridge temp. Pours a nice pink with very light pink head. Nose is pomegranate! Maybe a bit of wheat, but it's dominated by the fruit for sure. Maybe a bit of bread. The taste follows the nose. Nice sweet pomegranate. Nice carbonation. Definitely comes across more as a fruit juice with some alcohol, but I also happen to love pomegranate, and I just got back from a run! So, I'm loving this. I do get a bit of wheat, but not much else. It is what it is!

3.75/5 rDev +10.6%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to @WunderLlama for this one!

[​IMG]

11. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I’m enjoying two beers on this very chilly evening in Northern Indiana, one from my friend @jonphisher and NBS BIF #15 (plus glassware!), and the second from the virtual EBF that took place in February.

First up, a brewery that is knocking my socks off.

[​IMG]

4.17/5 rDev +2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    by ovaltine from Indiana

This beer pours a golden straw color and sports a nearly clear body under a fluffy white head that provides significant lacing. Beautiful pilsner.

The nose is heavy on the grassy notes courtesy of the noble hops (Hallertau!), and there’s also a nice bread dough note. This is actually amplified on the taste and really makes this beer for me, providing a delicious complement to slightly spicy, definitely grassy noble hop flavors that impart bitterness that sneaks up on you as you enjoy the beer. This is REALLY well executed.

The mouthfeel is medium and on the crisper side, fitting the beer very well. Probably the best compliment I can give any beer is to refer to it as “a beer drinker’s beer.” That description perfectly fits this excellent German pilsner from a brewery I didn’t even know existed a month ago.

12. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,574) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    My wife found a very strange collaboration between New Belgium and Surly at the Whole Foods yesterday: Dark Forest, a Bourbon Barrel Aged Sour Barleywine with Spruce Tips.

375ml bottle served in a footed pilsner glass. Don't see a date on it, but it seems like it's probably a one-off.

Pours a clear dark amber with a huge dense head, looks super thick. Smell is a little bit of funk, a little bit of unripe peach or nectarine, some booze, a slight mustiness.

Taste is not barleywine-like. A little bit of the nectarine/peach tartness, a little bit of oak, I think the spruce is coming across more as a woodiness. I do start to get a green vegetal bitterness as I drink more of it.

Mouthfeel is much, much thinner than I was expecting, has a surprisingly dry finish. Overall, it's an interesting beer, and it's not bad. I wouldn't say no to another one, but I also wouldn't seek out another one.

13. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Next new beer is compliments of @Roy_Hobbs from BIF 14. Amour Fou from Fox Farm.

Poured at fridge temp. Pours a gorgeous dark brown with a reddish tint. Very little head, but bubbles lacing the glass throughout. Looks fantastic.

The nose is absolutely insane. Sour cherries, a leathery funk, red grapes, vinous. Intense. The smell of fruit is just so fresh. This draws you in, and begs you to take another sniff. Wow.

The taste is equally as amazing. The first sip is met with sour and funk. Not mouth puckering, but pretty intense. Leather, oak, cherries, vanilla, red grape skins, a bit of lemon, and a hint of wheat. I haven't had a beer like this before. Just keep wanting more.

Mouthfeel is fairly dry and the sour/funk leaves a nice aftertaste. Overall, this is an outstanding beer.

4.55/5 rDev +2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

[​IMG]

14. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,817) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Some great beers on display so far this weekend. I finally did a beer inventory worthy of the Lagina Brothers and while I thought I did some good work during Cellaruary, I still have quite a few relics. I also did something I never do, and drainpoured several beers based on style and age...ultimately justified by quick tastes before said drainage.

This is not a relic...

[​IMG]

OEC Brewing Galaxia Tropical Lager. Besides decoction mashing, this beer makes a brief stop in the coolship. It is hopped with Australian and New Zealand hops. So traditional European brewing methods meet new age hops.

Pours cloudy golden color with a nice, tight inch of head. Head falls to a pretty uniform layer and streaks the glass some. Kinda wheat beer looking, actually.

The smell is lemon/limey, grassy/floral, a little white wine grape, a bit of crackery malt eventually emerges, some yeast and maybe a slight touch of funk...I'm thinking thank you coolship swim for that little bit. Melon peeks out just a tad.

This is a nice tasting beer. It is quite subtle overall. Lemon lime scores the first points. Cracker malt with a little sweetness. Floral, melon, and white wine aromatics. Pretty clear yeast taste, light bitterness, and a perfect amount of funkiness. It is more rustic than refined, yet it shows sophistication in how it was constructed.

Light body, fairly lively, but soft is the first word I thought of here. Bitterness is mild, just enough to notice. The lemon/lime lingers pleasantly.

Diggin' this one. Smooth, goes down easily. I really like the restraint shown. This is sensibly hopped and has just the right level of yeastiness and funk. It reminds me of Allagash Moselle in a way, but with a little extra going on. Thinking in the 4.0 - 4.1 range, and I have to temper the liking factor because on the personal scale, this is an "Oh hell yeah..."

15. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,553) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, the beer is from the recently completed virtual EBF, and the glassware is courtesy of my friend @BBThunderbolt and an NBS BIF 5 years ago. I’ve probably used this glass close to 200 times.

That is not a typo. A perfect glass (for me).

[​IMG]

4.43/5 rDev +6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    by ovaltine from Indiana

Pours a dark cola color and settles in the glass black with mahogany brown on the edges and a minimal tan head that is creamy and sticks around pretty much for the entire journey through the beer.

The nose has a nice barrel note right out of the can, and there’s chocolate and vanilla as well, but no discernible coffee. That is corrected on the taste, with a roasty coffee flavor at the back of the palate, a great finish to flavors that include rich milk chocolate, toffee, vanilla, and a delicious oaky flavor from the barrel. What is absent is any alcohol flavor, which is difficult to manage with a 14% ABV beer. Exceptionally well done.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy, perfect for this big beer. What a treat it is to enjoy this beer.

16. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,437) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

American brewed pilsners can be a mixed lot with much experimentation gone wrong or simply not nailing the classic Czech or German style. In this offering from Green Bench Brewery in St. Petersburg, FL, I think they really hit the mark. Very crisp, dry, and quaffable, this one rivals the better imports. This one is brewed with an American hop - Mount Hood and contains "a touch of flaked maize", but I would still choose it over most imports.
    [​IMG]

17. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,304) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

@Ozzylizard has crushed me in the last two weeks with two massive boxes of beer. This can of BA Chocolate Covered Raisin from Hoppin' Frog is the first of many Hoppin' Frog beers I'll be enjoying thanks to his generosity, and it did not disappoint.

[​IMG]
    4.05/5 rDev -2.2%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pour is a light and fairly clear root beer / cola color that settles into a deep, opaque brown once in the glass. Head was fizzy and very short-lived. I wasn't sure if this label was more gimmick than anything, but sure enough the aroma is wonderfully rich with clear raisin and chocolate notes. Maybe it's all in my head, but the more I smell this, the more I'm reminded of Raisinets.

Taste is more complex than the nose. While I still get the raisin and a bit of chocolate, the whiskey barrel really takes the lead here. It's hot, but not overly so, with plenty of warming from the alcohol. Nicely balanced with just enough depth to keep things interesting.

Overall, a very good Saturday evening sipper

--------------------------------------------------
    I LOVE that beer. I think I ended up buying about 12 bottles of it. They released batch 2 a month or so ago and I've resisted buying any so far (simply because I really, really need to reduce my inventory), but man was it hard not to get more.

18. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

I think it would be hard for me to resist as well! Thanks again for sending one to me! Much appreciated!

ChicagoJ, MacMalt, colts9016 and 11 others like this.
  19. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

20. Rub_This_BBQ

Rub_This_BBQ Defender (669) Jul 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

From the ongoing bif 15 and 16oz can thanks to @snaotheus .

what it is only time will tell

Pores slightest a Tatuajes deep amber color light off cream colored head

Light nose nothing jumps out , all I get is rasin

low bittness Carmel /toffee notes

No idea what it is but tasty beer ..

will update with details of the beer

[​IMG]

21. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Just finished filling easter eggs with various treats and coins, easter is fun...watching the kids run around like madmen looking for plastic eggs is incredibly fun. Now it is time for a beer courtesy of my new friend in Indiana...

Sent may way by @ovaltine via BIF #15, I love some old school hops and this really fits the bill. I had their red IPA earlier this week and loved it so much, so I was pretty pumped to try another IPA of theirs especially with a name like Westy.

Bare Hands - Westy IPA

[​IMG]

Pours a very attractive light gold, pretty much crystal clear, nice slow forming and dense white head, leaves substantial as it settles and as I drink it down.

Pungent sticky icky nose, there is some nondescript fruitiness to it, accompanied by some fresh citrus notes.

Taste follows suit a citrusy fruit medley with some nice pine sappiness mixed in...there is just enough maltiness to add a little depth to all the lovely hoppy goodness described above.

Medium body on a very easy drinking hoppy beer, 7% and it goes down very easy. A beer like this could be dangerous if you didn't know what you were drinking. Very nice bitterness, dry on the finish combined with the hops gives it a nice resin tingle on the tongue long after the sip is gone.

Another well done hoppy beer by these guys, looking forward to trying their stout that was also sent my way. What a glorious time to be in our house, amazing and new beers that seemingly never end.

That's it for new beers for me tonight...keep them coming tonight and I will be back with at least two more new ones tomorrow.

22. Rub_This_BBQ

Rub_This_BBQ Defender (669) Jul 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

wow @snaotheus , in my head when I found out I thought it made sense..

Amber in color, not too sweet or thick no big hops or yeast . A marzen makes total sense ..

dame tasty beer thank you !!

[​IMG]

23. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Next new beer is a bit of an odd one. I went into my local shop a couple of weeks ago and the wonderful woman who runs the beer section (who I have known for over a decade) gave me a few bottles for free. She had been given them by a rep and figured I would like the experiment. They are all Clown Shoes, including a wonderful barleywine that is probably fantastic. Anyway, the first of the three is The Barista, a breakfast brown ale brewed with espresso, oatmeal, and milk sugars. Bottled on February 5th, 2016. So, it's just over 6 years old. I was pretty skeptical since I tend not to like coffee beers aged for a long time. Let's do it!

Poured at fridge temp. Pours a nice dark and murky brown. Very thin layer of head that quickly dissipates.

The nose is coffee, toffee, oatmeal, bread, a touch of black licorice, roasted malts. No off notes at all.

The taste nicely follows the nose. The espresso notes are still there. This has held up amazingly well at 6 years! Toffee, chocolate, slight oaky bitterness, leather, dark German bread, oatmeal, graham crackers. Nothing is too dominant here. Nice mix of espresso, chocolate, and toffee. This is very good. The age hasn't turned the coffee into anything negative. Very impressive!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and the alcohol isn't really detectable. I would love to compare this to a fresh bottle.

3.81/5 rDev -4%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

[​IMG]

24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Decided to join @snaotheus in drinking and reviewing this one - New Belgium + Surly Brewing Co. - Dark Forest a sour barleywine ale aged in bourbon barrels with spruce tips. If you are confused by what exactly it is, you are not alone.

[​IMG]

To be honest, my initial impression of this beer was that I am not sure what I am drinking - its weird - but I don't hate it?

So it pours a mostly opaque light brown color. Reddish around the edges. Thick, frothy off-white head forms on the beer, dissipates partially, but has a good quarter inch of foam that never goes away. Really a very nice looking beer. I did not pour the last little bit of the beer into the glass as there was some visible chunks in the bottom of the bottle.

The aroma is largely reminiscent of an american barleywine. there are notes of brown sugar, caramel-y malts, some light piney hops, and some subtle fruitiness. There is some light alcohol, bourbon and oaky notes, but very subtle. As the beer warms there does start to come through this subtle tart apple and sour cherry like character on the nose. It's not really "sour" more just the subtle impression of sour-like notes.

The taste is really disconcerting - so there is the barleywine part - the caramel-y malts, the light oak and bourbon notes, and some light earthy, piney hops. Along with that comes this sour character that reminds me a lot of an oud bruin - rich candied malts, some tart apple and sour cherry, and some yeast-y esters. There is a pine-y veering vegetal bitterness on the finish. Again, the American barleywine component making itself known one last time.

Feel is thin, but still a sipper. Moderate carbonation. Quite dry with tannic like notes, especially on the finish.

Overall this was an interesting beer. I thoroughly enjoyed drinking it and reviewing it. That being said, its a beer that drinking it once was good enough.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4 = 3.81 (rDev +5.2%)

25. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,997) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I’m excited to have this beer. It was sent to me by a long time trade partner. About 9 months ago he quit his job to become an apprentice brewer at Boreale. This one is among the first three cans he sent me that he had a hand in making.

Boreale Dame Nature Kellerbier.

[​IMG]

Pours a bright copper with a generous Fluffy head that dissipates very slowly.

Light cereal notes on the nose. Maybe a hint of lemon. Soda cracker.

Taste follows aroma. Cracker and bright noble hops. A nice depth of flavours.

This beer has some heft to it. Light bodied, but full flavoured.

This was a very nice kellerbier and I am doubly glad to have tried it.

26. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Probably my last new beer for today, but you never know! Make me a Stout, Clown from Barreled Souls. Stout aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels for 12 months and 24 days. I like how they give the exact duration of aging! Bottled on 12-15-2021, so quite fresh. Also brewed with oreos and coconut.

Poured at fridge temp. Pours a nice black with rapidly disappearing head. In fact, I don't remember another beer that had head disappear so quickly. Literally hissed and was gone - I'm talking 2 inches that fled in a few seconds. I hope that doesn't mean anything is off.

The nose is really nice. Definitely smooth, with nice layers of chocolate fudge and vanilla. Coconut, maple, and toffee come through. This is a decadent nose. A bit of lactose as well. Can't wait to try it.

The taste is sweet. Oreo cookies, vanilla ice cream, chocolate, fudge, coconut, maple syrup, marshmallows, and the slightest hint of roasted malts on the back end. Make no mistake - this is a pastry stout that the sweet additives are front and center. The alcohol (14.4%) is detectable, but in a mild way. I would actually be surprised to hear that it was this high if I was tasting in blind. Anyway, the taste is generally sweet with lots of nice flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and thick. Overall, this is a fantastic pastry stout. Glad I could try it.

4.18/5 rDev -6.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,592) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Ozark Beer Co. Professional Passenger Hazy IPA, 5.7% ABV; 4.27 overall

Pours an effervescent and hazed gold with one finger of tight pearl colored head . Great lacing & average head retention

S: Citrus, strawberry, peaches

T: Follows the nose, lime, a little green melon & dryness up front. Some pineapple, green melon & strawberry as this warms. Finishes dry with a little grapefruit, lime & green melon

MF: Medium body, subtle carbonation, nice balance

So easy to drink, loads of flavor & a great nose

#67 russpowell, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  28. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,206) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Lawson's Finest Liquids -- Sip Of Sunshine
    India pale ale
    ABV: 8.0%; pouring temperature: 44 °F; canning data: 22FEB22
    Source: @Roguer (BIF #15)

[​IMG]

4.5/5 rDev -1.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich, golden amber body; nice carbonation; thick head, dense, white, semi-creamy. Enticing aroma; soft earthy, fruity sweetness; orange and mango; light malt presence in the background. Outstanding citrus-forward flavors with a strong overarching hop bitterness; juicy orange and grapefruit; mild biscuit and cereal grain backbone; slight alcohol presence; balanced. Medium-heavy body; crisp and prickly; alcohol dryness.

A very nice, lively India pale ale.

--------------------------------------

...this beer has been readily available around Colorado Springs, but it's one beer I just haven't gotten around to (apparently) until now...

29. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,689) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Agree!

MacMalt, colts9016, JayORear and 8 others like this.
  30. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,484) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Have a good NBW. Been a good week of work and such. I got plenty of assignments to work on for Creo stuff. Julia made her famous sausage tortellini with a few adjustments tonight. I just paid my credit card off and have figured out I will be able to pay off my defaulted 2020 credit card debt this year. Already got sued for the medical debt from the bike 2014 accident, and they are getting my refund this year, but I don't even care. I don't need it. Better do my taxes this weekend tho lol, this the latest I've ever done them my whole life. I was so preoccupied with having my refund in previous years because my budgeting and overspending was shit, but now I never had to worry about anything with money. I am going to get Roth IRA next year for sure. I could easily afford 6 grand of savings.
    [​IMG]

IP trade with @hoptheology in October. Fair State Main Boss. This was amazing. Minimal lacing. Aromas and flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, fudge brownie, caramel, molasses, brown sugar/bread, toffee, vanilla, cream; light dark fruit, almond, smoke, coconut, rum, herbal, wood, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal, grassy, roasted bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and full body; very creamy/silky/velvety malts. Light slickness, sticky, chalky roast. Light increasing bitter dryness, no cloying/acrid flavors. Mild warmth of 12%. Amazing rich malt complexity, and not overly sweet/heavy for the style. The coconut was mostly a background suggestion, though you'd expect it to be the main feature, but that turned out to be a good idea I think. None of the common artificial lotion notes I've seen sometimes. It aged greatly over the year. 4.37
    [​IMG]

Cheers

31. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,206) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

New England Brewing Co. -- Imperial Stout Trooper
    Stout
    ABV: 9.5%; pouring temperature: 48 °F; canning data: LAUGH IT UP FUZZBALL 11/08/21
    Source: @Roguer (BIF #15)

[​IMG]

4.34/5 rDev +2.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Jet black body, opaque; thick, frothy, light tan head. Rich, sweet aroma; dark roasted grains; cocoa and chocolate; dark roast coffee. The taste follows along with and amplifies the smell characteristics; milk chocolate and coffee; moderate bitterness throughout; mild booziness. Heavy body; smooth and glassy; silky; slight alcohol dryness offsetting the overall sweetness.

A wonderful imperial stout that delivers a lot of sensory goods.

32. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,428) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

For my second New beer today I went to the box of beers that had been sent to me in NBW BIF #15 by one @colts9016 and I had put in the cellar. This one was one I'd been wanting to try ever since I learned of it's existence - BA Oatmeal Stouts? Oh, yes please.
    [​IMG]
    Pour as black as black can be and the light brown head was sparse, short and faded quickly.
    The aroma spoke more of bourbon than oatmeal, which is typical, (Oatmeal generally affects to feel more than the flavor for me in most cases) but I wasn't sure what to expect. The malts were very present, rich and deep. Strong coffee, cinnamon and bakers cocoa all made their appearance.
    Taste followed, no new surprises awaited me except the sheer level of flavors that came at me. The prior BA stout today I could have (and would have) consumed a bomber of, but this one somehow go through to me rational mind that finishing it tonight would not be wise. So I'm testing the bottle sealer that so many have recommended.
    The feel was pretty typical BA stout, as the bottle was from 2019 it may have lost a bit of it's carbonation but that didn't spoil anything for me. Awesomeness.
    Thank you Jammin for sending this my way! Finally got to scratch that itch!

ChicagoJ, SawDog505, LeRose and 25 others like this.
  33. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Hello New Beer Weekenders.
    Thanks for opening @SawDog505
    And thanks to @Roy_Hobbs for giving me a decent start to the night.

Ring the Bell
    Fluffy white head tops this golden, mostly transparent beer. Pretty solid retention with scattered, layered lacing.
    Aroma is slightly peppery and herbal, hints of floral citrus at first but that fades quickly. An undercurrent of wet bread dough peaks in as well.
    Flavor is slightly grassy, mildly herbal and peppery. Again, grain notes are understated, even for style.
    Mouthfeel is spot on, good carbonation, slightly crisp and mildly bitter in the finish.
    Overall, a decent take on a Pilsener, but listed as a Kellerbier?
    3.54/5 rDev -5.6%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

34. russpowell

Society Trader

Melvin ( Eureka, MO location ) Rum Barrel Aged Night Vision, 15.0% ABV; 3.65 overall

Pours an effervescent ebony with one finger of rapidly falling caramel colored head. Minimal head retention & lacing, viscous

S: Rum notes, raisins, vanilla once warm

T: Follows the nose, barrel dryness, cola, & leafy hops up front. Coffee & vanilla rear their heads as this warms, more barrel dryness, cola & dark chocolate as well, plus a hit of dark rum. Finishes with coffee, a little rum & cola, chille heat & dryness

MF: Medium body, slight carbonation

ABV for the most part is well hidden, easy to drink for what it is. Body is lacking & the nose doesn't impress

35. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

OK, this is definitely my last new beer for the night. Jellystone from Superflux out of Vancouver, BC.

Poured from a can at fridge temp. Pours a beautiful hazy orange with a bit of white head. The nose is fantastic. Pineapple, mango, orange, papaya, lemon, vanilla, and a slight dank note. A bit of "green stuff" on the nose. Absolutely fantastic.

The taste follows the nose, generally, but it's definitely more dank than the nose would suggest. Funky and dank. Tropical fruit is there as well. Mango and pineapple, pine needles, leather, citrus peel, and leather. Really tasty! Mouthfeel is fairly light and dry.

Overall, this is a phenomenal IPA.

4.19/5 rDev -5.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, LeRose and 25 others like this.
  36. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Poo-Bah (1,553) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Barrel-Aged Nemesis
    [​IMG]
    14.2% American Barleywine by Founders Brewing Company

The body pours a mahogany color with a thick nice head shown above, but there was little lacing throughout the drinking. Carbonation was good. Pleasant mouthfeel; bourbon sweet but not cloying.

Aroma was bourbon forward, malty and a bit hoppy. The ABV makes its presence known in a good way. No surprises here.

Like the base beer, in the taste the hoppiness and bitterness are pronounced. Unlike the base, the bourbon barrel jumps into the mix providing a sweet alcohol flavor that cuts into the bitterness. The mix is very pleasant to me especially when left to warm to room temperature.

I consider Founders one of the leading barrel-aged beer makers, and it’s nice to see them tinker with a strong flavored barleywine. Highly recommended.

#76 Blogjackets, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, LeRose and 27 others like this.
  37. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,843) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 20 oz Snulip glass. Pours a near pitch black with a solid finger mocha head. 4.5

Aroma is cinnamon, cocoa nibs, vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. 4.5

Taste follows cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla, and the alcohol comes out. 4.5

Mouthfeel is above average, not sticky or dry, and drinks rather easy at its ABV. 4

Overall this is a very impressive Stout. I recommend for sure. 4.25 Sleep well all.

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, LeRose and 25 others like this.
  38. russpowell

Society Trader

Could've swore it was an Old Ale. Now I must dig. When I think of Rye Beers i think Roggen only

39. russpowell

Society Trader

That sounds like one that would land in the love or hate for me...

Whyteboar, MacMalt, colts9016 and 8 others like this.
  40. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

And next, thanks to @Mbgreg
    Received this in our brand spanking new NBS BIF #15.
    Normal Is Dead

Thanks to Mbgreg for this Southern offering. Blurred can stamp, appears to possibly have a date of 3/8/22 or 3/18/22.
    Rec'd in NBS BIF #15.
    Fluffy white head caps a clear golden liquid. Solid retention. Slight lacing.
    Nose is straight up. Lemon zest, grass, with hints of pine and a mild honey note.
    Flavor follows the nose. Nothing extraordinary. Nothing bad.
    Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated, smooth finish.
    Overall, I'm glad to tick but I'm not writing letters to Mama.
    3.43/5 rDev -8%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.