New Beer Weekend #92

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roy_Hobbs, Apr 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,301) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow beer lovers, and welcome to New Beer Weekend #92. Please join us in sharing your thoughts on any new to you beers you try this weekend. You don't need to write anything brilliant (my reviews are consistently pedestrian!), simply share any impressions of how the beer looked, tasted, smelled, felt, or even your overall impressions. We love pictures, too!

I hope to see plenty of posts this weekend, as it's our official "share weekend" for NBS BIF #15. Don't know what a BIF (Beer it Forward) is? It's like a secret Santa, but a million times better because it's with beer. I've enjoyed so many great beers that I otherwise never would have without these BIFs.

Speaking of which....onto the beer! First up for me today is Extended Barrel-Aged D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer, a double imperial stout from Hoppin' Frog. This beer and glass were sent my way by the ever-generous @Ozzylizard.
    [​IMG]
    4.21/5 rDev -1.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very deep brown / black with a good amount of dense, mocha colored head that receded to a thin, persistent cap and ring. Good looking beer. Aroma is rich and boozy. Vanilla, raisin, light roasted malts, oak, fig and maybe some chocolate all combine well.

Unlike the nose, which lead with vanilla for me, the taste leads with the barrel notes. It's an interesting journey, as I get barrel up front, then more charred barrel, then some clear chocolate notes, with some pleasant light heat from the alcohol on the tail end. I'm not doing it justice, but there's a really nice complexity to the beer. Every sip seems a little different than the last, and as with the nose, the various flavors work well together. Full bodied and smooth going down.

Overall, this is an enjoyable Saturday morning sipper as I watch Arsenal (hopefully) beat Man United.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,821) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Four grains are better than one?

Today’s beer is Tired Hands Ourison – Our Four Grain Saison. But there is moar to this beer than just the aspect of the four grains as mentioned on the can’s front label: “Oak Fermented – Can Conditioned”.

Below is how this beer is detailed:

“Ourison is our Four Grain Saison brewed with rye, oats, and wheat and hopped singularly with Cascade. Conditioned in oak and then allowed to fully express itself via a relatively lengthy can conditioning period. With this batch, we were pleased to find restrained acidity with a really beautiful presentation of our oak foudres through some light tannin, vanilla, and lemon. Those classic barnyard, hay, earth characteristics that we came to know and love are all there. 4.8% ABV.”

Three grains are explicitly mentioned above (rye, oats and wheat) and I presume the fourth grain is barley (i.e., Pilsner Malt).

Also, quite interesting that Tired Hands chose to use Cascade hops to brew this beer.

Served in my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass:

Appearance:

Straw yellow colored with a one finger white head which dissipates quickly.

Aroma:

A combination of fruity, citrusy and some spiciness.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with a combination of fruity, citrus and some spice. There is a hint of vanilla in the background. There is a tiny bit of tartness and there is low bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Light-medium bodied, a spritzy carbonation level and a very dry finish.

Overall:

Very good! The flavors play very well with each other.

I could envision this beer being a very refreshing summertime sipper.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @RobH

[​IMG]

3. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,315) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning, @Roy_Hobbs and fellow Weekenders!

As some of you may know, this is the official share weekend for NBS BIF #15, the BIF directly in support of the NBW thread. Part of our requirements are a mystery beer.

I've got a very busy weekend planned to celebrate my partner's birthday that is going to have me out of the house quite a bit both days (quite anomalous for both of us) - although some of that will still involve new-to-me beer. :wink: But still, I have limited availability for the official share, which means I'd better get started! :stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it's mystery beer live review time! Everything will be reviewed and scored live and blind. Scores may be tweaked after the reveal, depending on style (for example, an infected stout wouldn't score the same as an intentionally soured stout), but usually they don't move, except perhaps 0.25 up or down in Overall (which is where I often cover rating to style more than the other aspects).

Very good head production and retention for what I assume is a very potent stout of some kind. Appearance: 4.25

Whoa! This is a potent nose, but it reveals less than you might think. It's barrel aged of some kind - I suspect bourbon or rye, but I'm not ruling out multiple barrels or wine - and quite roasty. Just a touch of aspirin; is it perhaps oxidized? I'm going with a barrel aged RIS from the nose alone, but ... hmm. Additional notes of prune, toast, bitter chocolate, and some neutral alcohol burn. Without knowing the style or possible ingredients (or barrels), rating blind ... Aroma: 4.25

Just the slightest bit watery on the palate up front, but not in a bad way. It's clearly a big beer, but it's neither thick nor chewy. Certainly full bodied. Long, hot finish. Despite what appears to be double digit ABV, it's not an unpleasant or harsh sip; you can very easily sit, sip, savor, and chew. Lingering chest heat. Seriously long finish, despite the alcohol effervescence, so I'm going to mention it again; I'm still on my first sip, and I haven't even described the flavor yet! Aftertaste is very pleasant. Mouthfeel: 4.00

OK, so definitely barrel aged, and definitely an imperial stout. I'm still leaning RIS, although it's a bit smoother; there's just enough char, red grape, leather, and bark. It could easily be smoothed out by age or the barrels. It could also be a stout/barleywine blend, which would also explain the flavor profile.

I'm going bourbon barrels, at least a year; they're prominent. Could be rye, but I'm not getting any peppery spice. My partner said it was a bit sour to her, but the only sourness I'm picking up is from the (presumably bourbon) mash.

Tasting notes include whiskey, oak, chocolate (moderately bitter, less so than on the nose, but still not exactly sweet), licorice (primarily on the finish), cream, toffee, caramel (but not prominent, like salted caramel), light coffee, toast, walnut, very light but still noticeable char, a hint of raspberry. Flavor: 4.25

I'm really somewhere in the 4.00-4.50 range on flavor, and I may update mouthfeel, as well. While I prefer a thicker stout, this thing is just insanely easy to drink.

So final guess?

Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, 11-13% ABV, aged 12-24 months. No flavor additives (adjunks). That's it.

I'm certainly not ruling out the following possibilities: multiple barrels (although I'm really only getting whiskey), mild additives (I suppose there could be coffee, lactose (actually, an imperial milk stout really makes sense given the mouthfeel and hint of cream up front), or something else I'm not really picking up), blended stout/barleywine/old ale/strong ale combination. But if so, I'm not really picking up on them in any significant way.

Final answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most importantly, I really like this! Thanks, @beergoot !

4. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

The reveal!

[​IMG]

Cerberus (I should have known) Cave of Nyx, described on BA only as an 11% ABV barrel aged imperial stout.

Let's review the guess: "Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, 11-13% ABV, aged 12-24 months. No flavor additives (adjunks)."

Looks pretty good for me!

But wait! Untappd has more of a description. I can't verify this with the Cerberus website (their description also simply specifies 11% ABV barrel aged imperial stout), but this is what Untappd has to say:

"A smooth 11% ABV stout aged in Four Roses Bourbon and Axe & the Oak Port barrels for over a year, then blended together with a hint of vanilla."

So to recap reality against guess: stout (check); 11% ABV (11-13%, check - that's probably the craziest part of the whole guess); aged 12-24 months in bourbon barrels (check).

Then the additional possibilities I considered: multiple barrels (check, although I don't pick up port; I can see the influence now, but it's pretty mild); mild additives (yes and no; no lactose, but "a hint of vanilla," which perfectly explains that bit of cream I taste up front); blended beer (nope).

In full transparency, I didn't hedge my bet on any of those possibilities, so the multiple barrels and vanilla are technically wrong with regards to my official guess (assuming Untappd is correct, anyway). They do, however, explain the full profile that I described, which is why I said I wasn't ruling them out, even if I couldn't confirm them.

I'm pretty happy with that call. I got to about a 90% solution blind (98% based on BA, maybe closer to 85% Untappd).

A very fun blind review. Thanks, @beergoot !

5. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,301) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

For a blind review, very well done, & the beer sounds great. Side note, love the opener.

eppCOS, MacMalt, larryi86 and 17 others like this.
  6. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

That was also provided by @beergoot in this BIF, so I thought it only fair to feature it in the post. :grinning:

eppCOS, MacMalt, larryi86 and 18 others like this.
  7. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,552) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBW
    I need to go mow grass this morning before temperatures soar, but first, hydration
    [​IMG]
    Fats Heads Lime Feelin' Good

12oz canned 03/24/22 poured into a shaker pint glass at fridge temp 4.9% ABV 17 IBU per can. The beer pours bright, effervescent golden straw yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and island. The aroma is mild with pale malt and lime. The taste is semisweet limey malt with a touch of cracker type malt as the initial rush of lime fades. Mild bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with above average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Perfectly clean lagering with no off flavors. Overall, very good. They did not skimp on the lime here, so your enjoyment of this beer will hinge on your lime tolerance.

I'm glad I bought a six pack of this one. It's really a no brainer when Fat Heads sends fresh new to me beers this way. Now, let's talk about Hop Juju on the regular here in Southern Indiana...

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass this weekend!

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 33 others like this.
  8. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,838) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass canned recently. Pours a very hazy yellow orange with a finger plus sticky white head that leaves thin streaks of lace, with excellent retention. 4.5

Aroma is mango, peach, tangerine, coconut, and apricot. 4.5

Taste follows mango, peach, tangerine, coconut, a little pineapple, and apricot really well balanced and I don’t get much coconut considering the hop bill with Cashmere and Sabro being involved. 4.5

Mouthfeel is above average, not sticky or dry, soft gentle carbonation, and at 8% it goes down really easy. 4.5

Overall I am really digging this one and is stands out as different. I would highly recommend. 4.5 Cheers all.

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 32 others like this.
  9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I've got to work security at the theatre tonight, so my contributions today are gonna be a bit thin (I'll probably slide a couple in), but, I did get to a couple breweries yesterday, and after I get the reviews written, I'll post them here.

eppCOS, MacMalt, larryi86 and 16 others like this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 30 others like this.
  11. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,197) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...product description of the Axe and The Oak port barrel finished bourbon casks likely used for the Cerberus 'Cave of Nyx':

In 2018, Axe and the Oak began experimenting with a barrel-aged series. It’s now time to present the first product of our experimentation, the Cask Strength Port Barrel Finished Bourbon. Available in limited quantities across Colorado. Sitting at 114 proof in either Ruby or Tawny variations aged between six and nine months, it takes on a deep red tone along with notes of plum, berry, caramel, and vanilla bean. On the nose, deep dark fruit, cinnamon toast, and raspberry jam.

12. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 31 others like this.
  13. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

While wandering through my grocery's beer section yesterday I came across six 4 packs of a new 6.9% Helles Bock collaboration between Von Trapp and Thin Man (added to the DB by Von Trapp on 3/29). The label simply says Helles Bock Dry Hopped Lager and that it is part of their Stowe Style series.

Von Trapp's website describes it as "a malt forward, 6.9% ABV, early spring pale lager, using Weyermann Pilsner and Munich malts. A light dry-hopping brings a floral, grassy, and spicy bouquet to the nose. This is a modern take on the classic springtime Bock to ring in the summer days ahead." and that description is pretty accurate.
    [​IMG]

This pours a translucent amber with a touch of copper, with a long lasting white head that slowly dissolves into a film, and the aromas a fresh wheat and grass with a touch of honey and hint of flowers.

The taste is sweet malts, fresh hay, a bit of honey, flower petals, and some peppery spice that feels thick going over the tongue and leaves a very slight bitter and pepper aftertaste.

Overall this is a very nice helles bock. Rich tasting without being filling. The hint-of honey malts are sweetly satisfying and the hops show up primarily as background grass and flowers. A pleasant way to welcome in a new spring.

4.12/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 37 others like this.
  14. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 32 others like this.
  15. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Poo-Bah (1,861) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    BlackStack Brewing Spaghetti Western WCIPA. It has a light foamy white top that quickly dissipates. It presents a pristine clear golden apple juice color. The smell is not very strong, but it has a pleasant light citrus and pine scent. The taste is piney with prominate grapefruit and lemon flavors. The mouthfeel is light, smooth, and crisp. Overall, this is a nice, easy-drinking beer.

16. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,807) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

17. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

cavedave, eppCOS, MacMalt and 27 others like this.
  18. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

#18 BBThunderbolt, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  19. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

cavedave, ChicagoJ, eppCOS and 26 others like this.
  20. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,918) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Thank you @Roy_Hobbs for batting leadoff this weekend!

Have two Jester King cellared beers planned this weekend. The first features the first batch of this saison brewed 5 1/2 years ago. The last review here listing a 2019 bottle. Untappd of course has many recent reviews, with no words or information, so not sure if this is still in their rotation.

Jester King Saison Americaine

[​IMG]

Bottle Notes: Batch #1 - 12/12/16. 25.4 oz, 5.2% ABV. Authentic Farmhouse Ale, Austin, Texas. Purchased from Local Option in May 14, 2020, cellared until January 9, 2022, refrigerated thereafter.

Ingredients: Texas Hill Country Well Water, Malted Barley, Malted Wheat, Hops, Mixed Culture of Brewers Yeast and Native Yeast and Bacteria.

Notes: Saison Americaine embraces tartness as an intrinsic character of modern American Farmhouse Beer. An American emphasis on Mixed Culture Fermentation in Oak with souring bacteria has created a vein of beer distinct from it's classic Franco-Belgian counterparts. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and 100% naturally conditioned.

Appearance: Original photo did not save correctly, I've attached a photo of the second pour above. Bright white lingers for a few minutes before leaving soapy lacing. Murky golden orange base, heavy carbonation upon opening, mild carbonation sustained throughout. 4.25

Aroma:
    Nice bold aroma, oak, grassy, funky and tart. White grape and lemon. leans sweet but tartness checks it. Smells really enticing. 4.5

Taste:
    Consistent with aroma in both strength and flavor profile. Lemon lime grape leads, getting some barrel, grass, hay and oak as this warms. Funky, less tart than the nose would lead, all comes together very well. Light sourness as well. I love it when a saison comes together. 4.5

Mouthfeel:
    Light, crisp, refreshing. Mild carbonation after the heavy initial burst. Drinks light, even for a 5.2% ABV saison. Lightly dry and tart, easy drinking, clean finish. All as it should be. 4.5

Overall:
    This saison really held up well over the years. Taste, aroma, flavors all come together very well. Sour, tart, bursts with flavor, funky, all at proper and enjoyable levels.

Really refreshing on this first over 80F day in Chicago this year. Would definitely pick these up if available down the line, would like to compare and contrast to a fresher version. 4.5

Hope my planned beer for tomorrow, a Mild English Dark Ale, has held up as well.

Cheers!

21. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,453) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Something new to me from Lagunitas, bought during this morning’s beer run - “Maximus Colossal IPA”:

[​IMG]

I like Lagunitas. I’ve been to the Petaluma brewery several times over the years, and their beers are often what I want to drink. But I rarely buy it because the packaging makes it difficult to determine canning/bottling dates and in Florida it is usually months old (want to drink old IPA?…grab Lagunitas off an un-refrigerated store shelve in Europe!)…I guess at least, while hidden somewhere, there is a date…this time, the bottling date is in small black type inside the 6 pack carry case; one would have to take each bottle out, then look inside each sleeve, only to find that one sleeve has the date…such unwarranted obfuscation…pathetic…

Bottled 1/22/22. A thin, tight white head with a few rocks sits atop a pale amber liquid with excellent clarity; good cap retention; heavy ring; bands of medium sticky lace. Sweet caramel malt; grapefruit, orange and a whiff of pine; some earthy hop aroma as beer warms. Taste is sweet malt base followed by bitter grapefruit peel hops; orange peel middle; very little pine with some earthy hop dullness on backend. Medium light body, moderate minus carbonation; no warmth from 9% abv; no astringency; smooth malty/sticky feel. Overall, the beer verges on sweet vs. bitter; it reminds me of The Waldo’s but less sweet and less phenolic; admittedly, this is my DIPA wheelhouse - West Coast baby!

4.75 | 4.25 | 4.5 | 4.25 | 4.25
    Score: 4.38 rDev + 9.8%

A tasty DIPA approximately 90 days out. Some brewers still don’t date their beers. Sad. Lagunitas is not much better…I bought this beer on a flyer because I had not had it before, and at the higher abv figured it would still be tasty to me, notwithstanding looking for their archaic Julian dating on bottle necks (none) and finding nothing on the outside of the packaging at the store…upon going through the packaging at home, carefully, I found the date inside the carton sleeve - I call Bullsh!t.

Cheers gang!

#21 DoctorZombies, Apr 23, 2022
    ChicagoJ, mickyge, cavedave and 34 others like this.
  22. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Well, if I featured one really nice opener from the NBS BIF, it's only fair that I next feature the greatest opener (among many) I've received through this BIF!

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a shark, with metal shark teeth for the pry, a magnet for catching the cap, and my BA name on it. Seriously.

Such an incredible bunch of beer nerds.

Oh! There's also some beer in front of me! :stuck_out_tongue:

Gnome's Soul is a collaboration between Barreled Souls and Dancing Gnome. While they do have BBA versions, this one is only aged in oak, so far as I can tell. It clocks in at 12.8% ABV, and has pistachio and vanilla.

Wow, this one is awesome! Barreled Soul does some wondrous things with chocolate malt, teasing out an incredible amount of chocolate flavor without adding chocolate, imparting an impressive depth and richness.

The pistachio and vanilla don't disappoint, either.

I can only imagine what a great candidate this makes for bourbon barrel aging. They've apparently done it with Buffalo Trace before, but that wasn't available this week. Zero complaints; this is freaking fantastic.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36073/377663/?ba=Roguer#lists
    4.46 / +8.5%

We're taking this birthday weekend on the road in a little bit for some book-themed new beers, books, and a food truck. A portion of the sales go toward the local public library. So I'll be back, but it may be a while. :wink:

ChicagoJ, mickyge, cavedave and 33 others like this.
  23. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,960) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

White Elm Oliver Sir Chungus Imperial Pastry Milk Stout, 11.5% ABV. Pours thick and black with a one-finger brown head that left great lacing. Nose is incredible chocolate, marshmallow, lactose, and cinnamon. Taste follows, quite sweet, moderately bitter. Excellent mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. Nose is much better than the taste, but still excellent.

4.29/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I don't know how I missed the picture of the cat on the label, but finally spotted it, and figured out the cat must be Oliver Sir Chungus. Their labels usually don't have humans or other animals.

[​IMG]

#23 bbtkd, Apr 23, 2022
    ChicagoJ, mickyge, cavedave and 33 others like this.
  24. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

ChicagoJ, cavedave, eppCOS and 29 others like this.
  25. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,552) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    I was so excited to find an English beer that I forgot to check for a date.
    [​IMG]
    Trooper: Day of the Dead
    500mL bottle coded L1209 (7/28/21-9 months ago...) poured into a three sided Bass glass at 55° Fahrenheit 4.7% per label. The beer pours bright light copper in color with very light khaki head. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of bubbles. The aroma is mild with sweet caramel malt and floral, grassy and lemony hops. The taste is semisweet caramel malt with faded grassy, lemon hops and moderate bitterness. There's a note of cardboard beginning to creep in. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with just less that average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, ok. I would drink again if I remembered to check the date first and it was relatively fresh.

The beer is drinkable, but not really scratching my English Ale itch. There's nothing available locally anymore. Stores don't even carry Bass. I did get the chance to break out the old Bass glassware, so not a total loss.

Cheers all!

ChicagoJ, cavedave, eppCOS and 33 others like this.
  26. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,591) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I had all intentions of making Double Sunshine Ruby Red Grapefruit my new beer Easter Sunday, but 350 miles from here with family I rarely see consumed all my time. I was lucky though to post from some new brewery stops along the way.
    Fast forward to today, I was really happy to finally have patio weather and review my first outside beer of the year. Before I finished the session a front moved in with clouds and wind so I finished the beer inside.
    [​IMG]
    4.28/5 rDev -2.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    by woodchipper from Connecticut

Poured from a 16oz can stamped “Canned on 03/23/22” (about a month old), to a Nonic at fridge temp.
    A nice off-white head of maybe 2” with a medium pour. Bubbles near the body are small and consistent in size. The head gradually changes towards the top, which is mixed in size with a mountainous surface. Body is a translucent gold with rising bubbles visible, though not as many streams as in a text-book pilz.
    I was expecting grapefruit in the aroma, but all I get is a subtle dankness.
    Grapefruit is present in the taste, and it is not hogging the show, i’d say just right. My memory tells me Grapefruit Sculpin was more aggressive in this regard, but it's been a long time since I've had that beer (1 billion dollars, hah, where did it get them?). Shining through the grapefruit is that nice clean hoppiness of the Lawson Sunshine series. The alcohol is noticeable in the taste. Have to admit, I never had “standard” Double Sunshine so I don’t know if this is a trait with the higher ABV Sips. (Disclaimer, I call standard Sip Of Sunshine my house beer, as I can always get it fresh as it is contract brewed in Connecticut and I really like it).
    The mouthfeel is medium with a hint of hop oiliness.
    Overall well done, but I think I prefer standard Sip of Sunshine.

#26 woodchipper, Apr 23, 2022
    ChicagoJ, cavedave, eppCOS and 34 others like this.
  27. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,566) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    First to Fall grisette from the Good Society

8oz pour at the brewery. On phone.

Mostly clear, small fine head, amber-gold. Smell is banana, spices, sweet earthiness.

Taste is similar, maybe lighter, more of a grain character.

Mouthfeel is medium but very effervescent. Overall, very nice.

28. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,790) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Pühaste - Tartu Pilsner

Czech Pilsner from Estonia (5%)

[​IMG]

Pours a slightly cloudy pale golden coloration with a medium, frothy head and slightly visible carbonation.

Smells of doughy malt and grassy hops, with just a hint of spice and gooseberry coming through as well. Taste is a great balance of doughy, slightly grainy malt and grassy, herbal, spicy, slightly fruity hops, with hints of gooseberry and peppery spice. Finishes with a medium bitterness and some grassy, herbal hops and hints of peppery spice lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and medium/strong carbonation.

This makes for a very nice, crisp and clean traditional Pilsner that does not cross over into IPL territory at all, with a great, mellow balance of malt and hops. While there is just a hint of fruitiness to this the hop profile is clearly dominated by grassy, herbal and spicy notes, with a good bitterness in the finish, while I particularly enjoyed the spicy accents here. Overall, a very well-made, refreshing and easy-drinking example of the style.

29. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Well, I thought HammerHeart released their last beer from Lino Lakes some weeks ago, but it turns out they canned the final (I assume this is really the final this time) three beers from their Lino Lakes brewery a week or so ago. Presumably, the Lino Lakes site is now closed. They have said little about their new brewery/site "up north" (as we say in Minnesota), and even less about any progress on the contract brewing front.

I picked up two of the three last week, passing on the "Thor’s Fury Returns" Imperial Porter. While I did enjoy their "Thor’s Imperial Pepper Porter", this beer doubles up on the pepper heat from that one. That does not appeal to me.

Anyhow, today I am tasting the Snösmältning Smoked Lager. When I first saw the name, I thought perhaps HammerHeart was making a Swedish-style portmanteau of "snow" and "malt". I put the word into a translator and found out "snösmältning" is Swedish for "snowmelt" in English. Apparently, this was intended as a late winter release, but if so, it's just a bit late for anywhere south of Hibbing! :wink:. (But, then, their new brewery is going to be north of Hibbing!)

On to the beer.

HammerHeart Snösmältning Smoked Lager
    ABV: 7.1%
    IBU: NA
    [​IMG]
    Clear amber-orange color, nicely carbonated, topped by a stark-white thick head (with airy bubbles up against the glass, with very good retention. It leaves sticky and thick lacing as it slowly recedes.

Aroma is, as promised, smoke – campfire smoke – backed by fruity hops/malts. A slight hint of smoked meat.

The taste is, again as promised, smoke – lightly done. The initial taste is malt, a touch of vague fruitiness, and light smoke. No bittering to speak of. The middle and finish brings out a bit more, including the flavor (but not the heat) of peppers There is a brightness in the taste as well, reminiscent of north woods. The finish is dry. The aftertaste is where the pepper heat begins to build; even so, it remains at a level of pleasant warmth making for a very enjoyable sipping lager (if that is your bent – it is light enough and dry enough to also be a quite quaffable beer. I’m preferring to let the flavors linger.)

The mouth feel is lager-thin, but smooth, spiced up (so to speak) by the heat.

Overall, this beer underscores the loss to the Twin Cities brewing scene at the closing of the HammerHeart Lino Lakes brewery. Another wonderful, well-balanced smoked beer from them. As I’ve said before, I do hope they pursue the contract brewing they previously announced with due speed. Speaking selfishly, I’m much rather they do that than open a new small brewing operation up north!

L: 4.25 | S: 4.0 | T: 4.25 | F: 3.75 | O: 4.25 | Rating: 4.14

EDIT: I meant to also say that this beer is brewed in collaboration with Old Irving Brewing (Chicago? I believe).

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 33 others like this.
  30. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I have, to this day, only had Double Sunshine at a beer festival (hence why I have still never even rated it). It was, however, sublime.

I would say you're about right on that: the alcohol is a bit more noticeable than in SoS. I also have memories of the grapefruit in Grapefruit Sculpin being sharper and more prominent (but still excellent!). As I described Ruby Red Double Sunshine in my review: this beer is better than any fruited IPA has any right.

I think it's bizarre that they now contract brew SoS, Little Sip, Triple Sunshine, and Ruby Red Double Sunshine (among many others) ... but not the OG Double Sunshine. Hopefully only a matter of time. SoS is basically my house IPA too (same reason, obviously), but if I could get Double Sunshine readily? And it's half the beer I remember from that beer fest? YES, PLEASE!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, MacMalt and 17 others like this.
  31. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Poo-Bah (1,861) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    This is a beer that requires review. The look is midnight black, which remains true with additional lighting. The smell features coffee, oats, brown sugar, black licorice, and vanilla. The taste provides flavors of black licorice, oatmeal, vanilla, burnt toast, and dark chocolate. It is well-balanced, and quite delightful. The mouthfeel is thick, oily, full, and smooth. Overall, this is as delicious as I expected. A triumph for Larry Bell, as he crosses the finish line.

32. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,487) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It might just be a honeymoon phase, but I'm almost liking this Ruby Red slightly better than SoS, which I also get fresh on the regular, and which is more or less my house beer, too.

33. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,566) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Society - Winter Lager

8oz pour at the brewery.

Dark amber / toffee color, translucent, small head. Smell is nutty, grain husks, toasty.

Taste is grain elevator (the smell/taste being in or around grain elevators, it's distinct and I don't know a better description), toffee and dates. Light roast, moderate grainy sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light and clean. This is really nice.

34. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Good afternoon everyone! Time to kick off this NBW #92 AND official NBS BIF #15 share weekend - This is my 6th BIF and it is the absolute best. This time around I had one of the OGs sending beer to me - BA's resident i-kiribati- @BBThunderbolt. I've been eyeing this beer since it arrived, but wanted to save it for the official share. Propolis Brewing - Wendas a dark scottish style ale brewed with Heather flowers.

[​IMG]

Pours a dark brown color. Cloudy and rather opaque. Thick, frothy tan head forms on the beer, lingers, then dissipates until just a thin ring of foam remains on the top of the beer. Aroma has notes of dark bready malts, some pumpernickel bread, a hint of spiciness and some floral hoppy notes.

Taste follows the nose with notes of dark bready malts, pumpernickel, some toffee notes, and a slight creamy malt note. Moderately sweet with strong floral notes and a light earthy hop bitterness. Really unique flavor profile with the heather flowers giving it this very perfumy floral character, but it works nicely. Feel is light to medium bodied. Spritzy carbonation. Creamy finish with a touch of sweetness.

Overall a really nice beer. Unique and ingenious. Well worth trying if you get the chance.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4 = 4.1 (rDev +3.5%)

35. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,520) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Where is the notepad shot?????

36. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,520) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Be careful of the things you say...if I don't see you review by mid summer, incoming....

Also happy birth day to your better half...enjoy the day.

37. GlenFarclas

GlenFarclas Initiate (129) Oct 1, 2021 Connecticut
    Trader

Hi Folks. I happened across this at the packie today on search for OEC's Maibock. Alas, I didn't procure that but grabbed a couple 4 packs of this.

[​IMG]

I searched a ways on the can to see what it was hop'd with (really hoping it was of the noble variety). Turns out it's mosaic and citra. Unfortunately, I'm not really a fan of "hoppy" lagers. I prefer lager lagers, where not everything is turned into an IPA. But in any event, this is quite good. Wish I had only bought the one 4 pack though because it's not really what I wanted. Nice beer though. I'm sure plenty of folks will really enjoy this.

I think in my mind I was expecting something like the zwickel by Radeberger. This is well balanced though I find the malt elements are most of what you're getting. Perhaps because of all the floral notes of the Citra and Mosaic kind of blending into that. I suspect it'll grow on me. Cheers!

38. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,241) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Thanks for opening up early Ross @Roy_Hobbs .
    And a bigger thanks for sending me Mindfulness by Little Log cabin !!!
    This gem is labeled as a QIPA (Quadruple) But the ABV is sooooooo hidden.
    Stamped: BABY BORN ON 03/24/2022
    Pours a fairly turbid golden orange. Fluffy white head leaps nearly 3 fingers in altitude before settling to a pillowy, consistent 3/4 inch cap.
    Nose pumps abundant notes of pineapple, fresh squeezed orange juice, creamy malt that reminds me of the smell of cranberry orange scone batter, mango, and hints of wet grass.
    Dear Lord, the flavors follow the nose faithfully. Mouth is awash in mango, pineapple, orange, and sweet grain. But all are fully present, yet none outshine the other. Smoothly sweet and subtly bitter all at once. What a finish.
    Mouthfeel is medium, velvety, nicely carbonated, and finishes slick.

4.27/5 rDev +3.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

ChicagoJ, cavedave, eppCOS and 25 others like this.
  39. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,790) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Cloudwater - New New Normal

Double New England IPA with Strata and Citra hops, from England (8%).

[​IMG]

Pours a hazy, dark orange coloration with a medium, fluffy head. Smells of light biscuity malt and tropical/citrus hops, with a bright passion fruit aroma and hints of grapefruit and dank weed.

Taste is an excellent balance of light biscuity malt and fruity, juicy, dank, slightly herbal hops, with tropical and citrus notes of passion fruit, mango, papaya, grapefruit and orange, as well as a good dose of dank, herbal, peppery weed. Finishes with a light/medium bitterness and some passion fruit, grapefruit and dank weed lingering in the aftertaste. Soft, pillowy mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

Cloudwater have really outdone themselves with this one, even by their very own, high standards. The hops are incredibly juicy and expressive here, with vibrant, well-defined sweet tropical and zesty citrus notes, as well as quite a distinct, herbal and peppery dankness and a fantastic, soft and pillowy mouthfeel.

The Strata is clearly the star of the show here, with those passion fruit and weed notes being quite dominant, while Citra adds a bit of citrus zest into the mix. Overall, this makes for a world-class NEIPA with an incredibly juicy and vibrant hop profile and fantastic soft and pillowy mouthfeel.

40. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,241) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

114 proof?!? Fortified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.