New Beer Weekend #95

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SawDog505, May 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM.

1. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,480) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] It is that time again. A very warm streak in May in central New Hampshire. This is the ultimate thread for us to push or show off a new brew that you are drinking. It might be a rather small brewery like what I am showcasing or a bigger brewery with a new release that some may not have heard about. We want to hear about it, good, bad, or marginal.
    Canned on 5/10/22 poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass, pours a very attractive milky yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves massive gobs of lace with excellent retention. 5

Aroma is papaya, tangerine, mango, guava, apricot, and just a kiss of grapefruit rind. 4.5

Taste follows papaya, guava, tangerine, mango, apricot, and grapefruit really well balanced. 4.5

Mouthfeel is above average, not sticky or dry, soft gentle creamy carbonation, and at 8% it has big tropical flavor but amazingly approachable. 5

Overall I am really digging this stuff. I would highly recommend this one. Cheers all. 4.75

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 31 others like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,431) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz!

Due to the generosity of a good friend for today’s NBW I have Tired Hands Trendler Schwarzbier.

I have had this beer in the past and below is how that beer was described:

“Trendler Schwarzbier is our Black Lager. Brewed with German Pilsner malt and Debittered Black Malt. Hopped entirely with Saaz personally selected by Jean in Germany last Fall. Brewed to honor and drink with Jean's grandfather, Joseph Trendler... that old son of a gun. Refreshingly stark notes of crisp malt, dried berries, black tea, and light toffee/toast. Man, we are so happy with this Schwarzbier and we thank you for digging into these delicate little numbers with us as we amplify our Lagerbier production.”

But for this version they decided to utilize Hersbrucker hops instead:

“Trendler Schwarzbier is our Black Lagerbier brewed with Pilsner malt, as well as a tasteful flurry of German specialty and dark malts. Hopped assertively with German Hersbrucker from our buddies in Bavaria, fermented with our house Lager yeast, and cold conditioned for four weeks. Extremely stark, restrained, and elegant, yet eminently crushable. Notes of black tea, medium toast, cinnamon raisin, Ethiopian coffee, and fertile earth. 5.5% abv.”

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Pours a very dark brown approaching black with a fluffy khaki colored head.

Aroma:

There is an interesting mix of malty aromas; a combination of dark bread, some roastiness and even a hint of chocolate.

Taste:

The flavors follow the nose with a combination of dark bread, some roasty flavor, some chocolate. There is a low-moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation and a pleasant off-dry finish.

Overall:

I really enjoyed drinking this beer!! It had a very pleasant mix of malty aromas/flavors. The highlight for this beer for me was what wasn’t there – the level of roasty was very subdued which is a quality that should exist for the Schwarzbier beer style in my opinion.

This beer has the quality that the Germans describe by the word süffig (drinkability).

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @RobH

[​IMG]

#2 JackHorzempa, May 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    Last edited: May 14, 2022 at 2:03 PM
    ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 26 others like this.
  3. Mdog

Mdog Poo-Bah (2,458) Jan 7, 2004 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks to SawDog505 for kicking NBW off this morning.

I'm traveling for work so not much to do this weekend other than drink beer in the hotel, so I should have a few entries this weekend.

The beer selection is not great here so starting off with what I thought would be swill, but was surprisingly not....

Hurricane High Gravity
    [​IMG]
    Appearance: Clear gold, big head.

Smell: Sweet, boozy.

Taste: Sweet, fruity—apples & grapes. Little bit of corn underneath. Boozy. No weird aftertaste.

Overall: Traveling for work, must pick up a beer or three. But the beer selection is not great in this smaller city, so let's try a malt liquor. Hurricane High Gravity is not bad! Sure, it's not my first or fifteenth choice, but it's got decent flavor and no real ugliness that you can get with many high gravity malt liquors.

4. JackHorzempa

Society

The bummer is that you could not find that beer in the 40 ounce format:

[​IMG]

Do you have any duct tape with you!?! :wink:

Cheers!

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 13 others like this.
  5. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,853) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Watching a old mystery drama recorded from TCM*, and figured and Old Time Lager, which has a little mystery involved in its making. The can shows the Hopfheiser Brewing Co, though the rights to the names are owned by DC Brau - from a dcbeer.com article:
    [​IMG]

So, history and lineage aside, does Old Time lager have a chance at being "DC's 'premium' lager of choice?"

The pour falls in line with American adjunct lagers these days - straw colored and clear with a large number of bubbles visible that produce a large, fluffy white head. This head holds up better than recent BMC AALs I've had.

A mix of corn and bread greet my nose, along with a light, floral to grassy hop with a light dash of spice. Slightly watery feel that has a little more body than expected, maybe because the light carbonation fails to leaven it. To me, there is less sweetness to this beer than, say a Miller or Coors. This is also slightly different than being bitter - it has the floral and dry grass from the nose, but none of the spice, not that I'm disappointed in this omission.

So Old Time definitely fits into the easy drinking realm. The malt and corn bring more to the flavor than the hops, but the latter shows up and lingers sneakily in the aftertaste. Seems a good enough beer to have at a game or on the golf course, to me. Pretty sure it won't be my "go to DC lager" as broad as that category is, but I wouldn't hesitate to order it in the right situation.

* Just got to the end of Witness for the Prosecution, and while I won't give away the ending, the final scene had the most bizarrely poor editing I've seen.

#5 cjgiant, May 14, 2022 at 2:49 PM
    Last edited: May 14, 2022 at 2:59 PM
  6. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,925) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Gooooood morning, Weekenders! I've got some afternoon plans, so I may be missing for a bit, but I've got time for a morning brew courtesy of @DoctorZombies .

[​IMG]

One of my most anticipated beers from his unprovoked porch assault, this is Camazotz's Imperial Stout, basically Huna with blackberries. In previous years, Cigar City has experimented with exotic woods and maple in Huna, largely to excellent results.

This reminds me quite a bit of Lizard of Koz. The berries are present from start to finish, and are clearly the "star" or "hero" of the beer (to use pretentious cooking show terminology), but they don't overwhelm (except on the nose, which is almost entirely berry juice to me). Everything has a role to play, from the rich chocolate and creamy vanilla up front, to the dry cinnamon and mild vegetal spice of the chilies on the back third.

Is it my favorite combination, or favorite Huna variant? No, but I think they absolutely crushed what they set out to do, and it's a very, very enjoyable experience from start to finish.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/594748/?ba=Roguer#lists
    4.21 / +1.9% (7 total ratings / 3rd full review)

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 25 others like this.
  7. cjgiant

Society

I think I had a 40oz in the Malt Liquor online tasting (different label scheme); assuming so, I definitely wouldn't say finding a smaller format was "too bad." :grinning:

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 6 others like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

Yeah, but the aroma of duct tape as you bring the Forty to your mouth adds some extra 'nuance' to the drinking experience! :wink:

Cheers!

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 8 others like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

Maybe a side-by-side of Old Time Lager and Senate is in your future? :beers:

Along with a post in your side-by-side thread?

Cheers!

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, MacMalt and 7 others like this.
  10. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,210) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBW
    A dark lager cross post from the tasting thread
    [​IMG]
    Pour Man's Brewing
    Tmavé Pivo
    16oz undated can poured into a becher glass at just above fridge temp, no ABV listed on label. The beer pours opaque medium brown with light brown head. The head recedes to a thin ring and a few islands of head. Minimal lacing. The aroma is dark chocolate, licorice, and slight nuttiness. The taste is bittersweet roasted malt with coffee like notes up front before the dark chocolate and lighter malt notes hit on the finish. The bitterness here is roasted malt bitterness like you would get in a big RIS, with no real hop expression. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with just less that average carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, good. Definitely not a typical dark Czech lager nor a typical dark lager of any sort. It's different, it works, but it defies any set style.

Thanks to @woodychandler for the beer. Cheers all!

11. cjgiant

Society

That sounds like a great idea! And oddly, I didn't actually think of it before seeing your post. I disappoint myself sometimes :disappointed

bbtkd, MacMalt, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

But you will reach full 'redemption' when you post your side-by-side tasting!! :slight_smile:

Cheers to you!

MacMalt, kemoarps, JayORear and 3 others like this.
  13. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Although @beergoot and I were official targets/senders in the latest NBS BIF, we have both had this next new-to-me beer, and not from each other.

[​IMG]

A Czech Pils? From Angry Chair, the masters of over-the-top pastry stouts? @JackHorzempa I'm afraid! :astonished: What might they do to this beloved traditional style?

Spoilers: freaking nail it.

This is unbelievably balanced, flavorful, and restrained. I really had low expectations going into this one. For a similar comparison, Angry Chair's NE-style IPAs are very good, but in my limited experience, not world class. They do stouts, and they do stouts tremendously well. A Czech Pils seems to be the complete opposite of their strength.

I'm going to come in way above rDev here, and I don't care. This is reminiscent of Suarez Family and Fox Farm - yes, it's that good.

Tasting notes seem almost too much, given the superb overall balance. Notable but restrained bitterness, with a wonderful interplay between hops and malt: pepper, white bread, rye, grass, pine, very light resin, wildflower honey, and a hint of grapefruit and lemon.

Yeah, this is solid. Beyond solid. Super happy with this.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32409/264606/?ba=Roguer#lists
    4.42 / +19.1%

Nineteen-point-one percent??? Has this simply been reviewed by a whole bunch of people looking for a Pastry Pilsner? Whatever; no regrets. This is awesome.

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 24 others like this.
  14. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,260) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Cerebral Brewing -- Nordic Noir
    Baltic porter
    ABV: 9.5%; pouring temperature: 45 °F; canning info: no date; American oak foeder; experimental hop #06300

[​IMG]

4.07/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Transparent dark brown body; one-finger thick, frothy khaki colored head. Huge aroma of cocoa powder and milk chocolate. The taste follows along with the smell attributes; medium to bold bitterness, some from the malt, some from the hops. Heavy body; relatively smooth overall; excellent residual sugar presence.

This is a rich and delightful Baltic porter, chock full of flavor, aroma, and feel.

...a great beer to start off my New Beer Weekend...x-posted with the Dark Lager Tasting also going on this weekend...

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 23 others like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Society

I have never had a beer from Angry Chair but unless the brewer wants to do atypical stuff to keep their base customers happy there is no reason that a brewery like Angry Chair can't brew a quality 'traditional' beer. For example a local (to me) craft brewery that is renowned for their Juicy/Hazy beers (including Milkshake type beers) of Tired Hands consistently makes high quality 'traditional' beers. I discussed their Schwarzbier in this thread and I will later in the day discuss their Doppelbock in the Dark Lager thread. Tired Hands makes a very good 'regular' Pilsner (Trendlers Pilsner) but in the past even 'better' Pilsners within their series of beers they brand as Austere Modular (which I have discussed in past NBS/NBW threads):

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-794.639339/#post-6897233

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-73.663651/#post-7408202

In a recent thread I sorta discussed the topic of non-IPA type beers being brewed by breweries not specifically known for 'traditional' beers which I think relates here:

"The other aspect (at least in my area) is that some of my local breweries who are not 'traditional breweries' will occasionally brew non-IPA beers and I personally make it a point to buy those beers and in the brewery taproom I will talk the beer 'up' if I like it. A point of example is that a local brewery last fall made a Pilsner they brand as Farmhouse Pils which is excellent. I drank several draft pints during that visit and I made mention to the bartender (who was also one of the brewers) how great this beer was. I stated things like "you really should make this beer again!" and I even purchased a four pack of cans to take home; you can read my discussion of beer in the link below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-60.661380/#post-7341793

I visited the Locust Lane Brewing taproom this past weekend and to my delight they had Farmhouse Pils on tap (and on the blackboard discussing upcoming releases I saw that another batch of Farmhouse Pils is coming out 5/25). The same bartender/brewer was working this weekend and I stated: "Looks like Farmhouse Pils is becoming a regular beer." He responded that it has become a popularly asked for beer.

One of the advantages of the brewery taproom business model is that customers can provide direct feedback to the brewery and perhaps influence future brews.

On a related note I have provided to a few of my local craft breweries some 'free' bottles of my homebrewed Czech Dark Lager (CDL) with my thinking maybe I could inspire them to brew a beer like this. I have not been successful yet (I think some of the breweries might view this as competition for their Schwarbiers?). I will keep trying here."

Hopefully other beer consumers who enjoy 'traditional' beers will continue to purchase Vodnick from Angry Chair so this is a brand they will continue to produce (and perhaps even brew some other 'traditional' beer style such as Czech Dark Lager as well).

Cheers!

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 19 others like this.
  16. beergoot

Society Trader

[​IMG]

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 8 others like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

Dark Helmet needs a longer light saber!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

18. beergoot

Society Trader

...seems we both liked more than most others...peasants...:stuck_out_tongue:

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 4 others like this.
  19. Mdog

Mdog Poo-Bah (2,458) Jan 7, 2004 Minnesota
    Society

Another hotel beer here in South Dakota.

Ben's Brewing Cash Flow IPA
    [​IMG]
    Appearance: Clear gold, ok head.

Smell: Toffee.

Taste: Lots of toffee flavor to start and throughout. More caramel and toffee. Very slight citrus and some light tea bitterness.

Overall: A South Dakota IPA from a brewery I am not familiar with, decided to try drinking local since I'm in SD. Not really an American IPA in flavor, drinks more like an English pale or maybe English IPA. Not bad but not what I was expecting.

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 21 others like this.
  20. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

My next new beer (and last for a while) took me a moment to put in, as I had to fix the database real quick.

[​IMG]

Hoppy Beerday is my most local of local brewery's anniversary series. Every year is dramatically different, and therefore warranted its own entry on BA, but whomever had been tracking it had them all entered as notes. That can be appropriate under some circumstances, but BA guidelines clearly show this should have been entered as a different beer every year.

So that's fixed. That out of the way, I give you Outer Light's 2022 Hoppy Beerday, a milkshake IPA with strawberries and mangoes.

It's ... ehhh. It's good. It's good enough. It verges, if not quite reaches, sour IPA territory, but for an anniversary beer, it's honestly a let down. Good but not great basically across the board.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/38293/603901/?ba=Roguer#lists

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 22 others like this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

I have no personal experience with South Dakota beer but my buddy Phil (see him below modeling with my draft pint of Sly Fox Black Lager) is a fan of Lost Cabin beers. He may have mentioned specific brands but I just don't recall. Maybe something to be on the lookout during your visit?

Cheers!

[​IMG]

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 12 others like this.
  22. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Certainly no "requirement" that a trendy brewery fail at more traditional styles (as you mentioned, Tired Hands is a great example of a brewery that can manage to keep one foot in each realm quite well), but I wouldn't say it's particularly common. Once a brewery manages to find an audience for the latest opaque low-IBU murk bomb or sugary pastry stout, I think one could argue brewing those beers doesn't require the same exact skill set as a tasteful, restrained Helles or Pils. It doesn't mean they can't; it means simply that throwing a bunch of M&Ms into a bourbon barrel doesn't mean you can brew a quality lager. :wink:

There are definitely brewers that manage it, but there are numerous examples of quality breweries that just can't quite seem to nail various other styles. See the countless comments about how Sam Adams (BBC) routinely "fails" at IPAs (in the eyes of some consumers, at least), or Funky Buddha (same; their IPAs aren't nearly as highly regarded as their flavored porters and stouts). Et cetera, et al.

Prairie I think is a good example of a brewery that can do it all, but is often overlooked because of their success in one area. Most people tend to relate them to their massive flavored stouts, but their sours and saisons are, IMO, top-notch, without being crazy or over the top.

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 9 others like this.
  23. beergoot

Society Trader

...Mrs. BeerGoot says (I think) something about me needing a longer light saber, too...I just scratch my head in bewilderment...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 7 others like this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Society

I agree that in today's beer scene this is not common.

There has been discussion over the years (including me in NBS where I declared 2016 the "Summer of Pilsners") where Pilsners will become 'popular' with the craft beer consumer base. I have heard a number of commercial brewers both in face-to-face conversations and on podcasts (e.g., Mitch Steele of New Realm, Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River, etc.) opine that 'now' is when Pilsners will become a 'thing'. Since I have not been an accurate prognosticator in the past (2016), I am taking a 'wait and see' tact here.

But...maybe in the near future having craft breweries who specialize in Hazy/Juicy, Pastry beers, etc. they will decide to 'balance out' their portfolio to serve the Haze Bros, Pasty folks and Crispy Bois crowds simultaneously?
    I have only had a few Funky Buddha beers but I have had a number of the IPAs that BBC produces. FWIW I am of the opinion that BBC could produce the types of hoppy beers that would excite the BA crowd but their market is more like the supermarket crowd (not that there is anything wrong with that, I buy a lot of my beers at my local supermarkets) which are looking more for a 'balanced' product vs. a beer that hits you in the face like a sledgehammer (and again nothing wrong with 'sledgehammer' beers since I buy (and brew) those too).
    I recently discussed Prairie in a recent thread. I am fortunate that these beers are on my local beer retailers' shelves but I have yet to drink a single one of them since they are too pricey for me.

Cheers!

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 7 others like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

Buy yourself a BIG helmet and perhaps that will equally impress?

Cheers!

26. beergoot

Society Trader

...searching Amazon.com now...thanks for the tip...:sunglasses:

27. JackHorzempa

Society

Perhaps make a 'fashion' statement:

[​IMG]

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 11 others like this.
  28. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I had a few words about the Prairie price tag but deleted them out of space. :grinning: But sufficient to say: I love their saisons, but can rarely justify the price tag.

I'm with you that BBC could produce better / more IPAs. It's just not their focus. But the haze bros tend to hate on them regardless.

bbtkd, MacMalt, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW of late I am approaching BBC in two ways:
    • I expect anything branded as Sam Adams to be more of a 'mainstream' product
    • If I am looking for something 'more' from BBC I view Dogfish Head as the product(s) to purchase but...it has been a while since I have purchased a six-pack of Dogfish Head beer since once I see the price I buy something else instead. I did buy a draft pint of Seaquench last evening to drink while getting together with some buddies.
    It seems to me that Haze Bros for the most part are locavores or prefer to chase whales. Sam Adams is definitely not in their wheelhouse and perhaps even Dogfish Head doesn't 'make the cut' either. And in fairness when it comes to Juicy/Hazy ultra-fresh is needed and how the heck to achieve here with distributed product?

On a somewhat related note I also had a draft pint of Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin last evening. It has been a loooong time since I have had this beer. This draft pint was good but in the context of past drinking experiences it was a disappointment; a situation of the beer being too old?

Cheers!

30. beergoot

Society Trader

Fort George Brewery + Pubic House x Block 15-- Fanzine
    West coast India pale ale
    ABV: 7.2%; pouring temperature: 42.1 ℉; canning info: 04/05/22 with some indecipherable wording

[​IMG]

4.16/5 rDev +3.7%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Medium yellow body, crystal clear; sparse yet slow-rising carbonation; thick, billowy head initially, white and frothy. Very nice herbal and floral hop nose. Outstanding taste; clean, mild pine resin tones with a moderate hop bitterness. Medium body; crisp and fairly dry yet with a nice offsetting sweetness.

Fort George nailed this classic west coast themed India pale ale. Balanced and flavorful with a very satisfying mouthfeel. Just a great beer...

----------------------------------------

...a collaborative effort done right...simple and hype-free (as far as gimmicky adjuncts)...

31. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,346) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks for the kick-off @SawDog505!

First up for me this NBW is a German Dunkel. In fact, the #10 Munich Dunkel style on this site, behind 2 other German beers and 7 American (which perhaps is influenced by a combination of fresh vs not-so-fresh with a fair does of localism, but nevermind …). In any event, I admire most beers from Ayinger, but this is a new one for me. So, let's see.

Ayinger Old Bavarian Dark (Altbairisch Dunkel)
    ABV: 5.0%
    IBU: 21
    [​IMG]
    Date code: L1258 (Sep 15, 2021), so firmly in the "not-so-fresh" camp. Sad, but a fact of life for most European imports around here.

Clear dark amber-reddish-brown body. Moderately carbonated with small bubbles rising to a thick off-white 1 inch head from a gentle pour.

From the aroma I get caramel, toasted malts, and dark fruit.

The flavor starts with toasted bready malts and dark fruit from the aroma. Toffee. A bit of spice. It's light and yet malty. Malty and yet not overly sweet. Very well balanced and tasty. The finish is lightly bitter with a touch of astringency.

The body is moderate to thin.

Overall, a tasty, malty, and well balanced dunkel.

L: 4.25 | S: 4.0 | T: 4.25 | F: 3.5 | O: 4.0 | Rating: 4.07

bbtkd, Chaz, RJLarse and 24 others like this.
  32. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,781) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

A lot to catch up with already due to the early kickoff by @SawDog505 ! I sent a request to update the thread title, this is New Beer Weekend #95.

Sticking with the Dark Lager tasting, this selection a local Munich Dunkel.

Great Central Brewing Dunkel

[​IMG]

Can Notes:
    $9.91 (w/ tax) four pack purchased refrigerated at The Beer Temple, refrigerated at home until opening. Can date 12/10/21 at 2:07 PM. 16 oz, 5.0% ABV, 15 IBU. Dunkel Lager, A GCBC Seasonal Offering. Brewed and canned by Great Central Brewing Company, Chicago, IL, U.S.A..

Appearance: Single pour into a large cylinder glass. Bronze caramel clear base, heavy persistent carbonation throughout. Nice creamy tan white head leaves a creamy rich layer above the base. 4.25

Aroma:
    Mild in strength, nice roast malt, toasted bread, toffee and barley entices me into taking an early sip. 3.75

Taste:
    Consistent with the aroma, nice bready and barley taste. Digging the firm hops presence which provides balance against the sweet malt and flavor profile. A good solid dunkel. 3.75

Mouthfeel:
    Carbonation felt lighter than the appearance. Medium body, consistent dryness throughout, balanced. Very light and easy drinking. 4.0

Overall:
    This is a solid dunkel, everything well balanced. Nothing spectacular, but an enjoyable offering. Like the hops presence, will like to pick up a fresher version next fall to compare and contrast to this five month old offering. Glad I picked up and have three more. 3.75

Returning tomorrow with a highly regarded import.

Cheers!

#32 ChicagoJ, May 14, 2022 at 7:38 PM
    Last edited: May 14, 2022 at 7:48 PM
  33. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,207) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Back to the best part of the weekend, sharing new beers together. Mrs. Phisher just took the kids to a birthday party so I'm cleaning the house, and drinking a beer of course, don't get the chance for afternoon beers often these days. It is humid as hell here so this beer is right in order, courtesy of @ovaltine in the current BIF...

Dovetail - Kolsch

[​IMG]

Pours a cloudy yellowish straw, head settles into a nice little ring of white with no center. Nice visible carbonation as it sits.

The nose has a very pleasant floral smell to it, followed by a sort of mish mash fruits; white grape, little bit of golden apple, we eat opal apples quite a lot that is what this smells like.

The taste leans more into the fruit the floral, almost like apple juice with grape juice flavors minus all the sugary sweetness. Cracker like bread notes as well.

Feel is nice and light, drinks very easily. A little touch of sweet on the tongue, no bitterness, clean finish.

This is just what you should be drinking on a gross muggy day...it is a very good kolsch. Goes down the gullet very easily and has a refreshing feel to it. I've enjoyed these Dovetail beers I've got to try courtesy of @ovaltine and @FBarber they are quite tasty.

Up next I have a special beer courtesy of @Coronaeus that I will open at puck drop of tonight's Leafs game, review will come shortly after during intermission, or earlier if I can't handle the stress of the game.

I have some catching up to do and will do so when I have a chance. Cheers everyone happy weekend!!!

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 23 others like this.
  34. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,372) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

2 DIPAs on the pine, shellac, wood, masculine side.
    Atomic Torpedo | Sierra Nevada | 8.2%
    /5 rDev +3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    OK, I find S/N to be as good a craft as nearly any micro. Reliable. Big. All this is at Cask Temp.
    a) Amber clear body with dense, lacing white head. Looks like will taste.
    s) At cask temp, pine, black pepper, nutmeg and a touch of citrus. Could be a men’s cologne.
    t) More wood, cedar added, a bit of medicine cabinet, and more black pepper, nutmeg and citrus.
    f) Slick, sticky, bittering tongue feel.
    o) Bring more of these on.

Double Lustra | Equilibrium | 8.5%
    /5 rDev -2.2%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
    Collab lab w Dancing Gnome.
    a) Very dark apricot murk, w scant head and lace. a for darkness.
    s) melon, peach, apricot, orchard fruit, wood.
    t) Adds more pine and shellac to the darkish fruit salad.
    f) Creamy, thick, insert a stick.
    o) Original, bittering, wild see saw.

bbtkd, MacMalt, brewskis and 17 others like this.
  35. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,210) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

A new to me saison from Taxman
    [​IMG]
    Apropos
    12oz canned 04/05/22 poured into a becher glass at fridge temp 7.5% ABV and 30 IBU per label. The beer pours hazy medium amber with minimal light khaki head. The head recedes to a pencil thin ring and splotchy layer of tiny bubbles. Minimal lacing. The aroma is mild with sweet notes of fruit and pale malt. The taste is semisweet apricot along with wheat and pale malt. There's a vague tartness and minimal bitterness despite the advertised IBUs. The mouthfeel is medium plus bodied with below average carbonation and a semi dry finish. Overall, a rare miss from Taxman, in my opinion. Under carbed and flabby, as opposed to bright and refreshing.

Bummer folks. I've got a few more Belgian beers in the fridge that I might pull out before the weekend ends. Cheers all!

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 18 others like this.
  36. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,490) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

We were at the Beer'd Brewing Silo facility last night out on the patio. I think the metal facade muted the free wifi and thus I did not post the beers I had (they were great). The wife had to pick up her fresh Connecticut Casual Pilsener to go, so I decided to get something that I never had before. Nelson hops caught my eye and thus I ended up with this.
    I'm not a LOTR fan, but I think that can art is an upgraded Shire.
    [​IMG]
    3.53/5 rDev -10.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
    by woodchipper from Connecticut

Poured from a 16oz can stamped “03/22/22 ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS BETTER” to a Nonic at fridge temp.
    A bright white 2-inch head. The body is a light gold and opaque hazy.
    The aroma is floral but there is a hint of malt.
    The taste is overwhelmed by alcohol and a slight hop burn. I’m not getting any of the Nelson grapeness.
    The mouthfeel is medium for an NEIPA..
    I hope this can overstayed its welcome. I had a lot of hopes for this beer, but they did not materialise.
    [​IMG]

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 16 others like this.
  37. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,333) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Happy nbw. Have quite a lot of nbs bif goodies to go through. Going to go to the gym first. I got a Garmin fenix 6 to track my workouts now. Should be fun to see the progress.

From @FBarber bif. Hop butcher Ccccclear IPA. This was fantastic. Lasting head and soapy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big tangerine, red grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, mango, melon, citrus peel/rind, wood, mint, peppercorn, pine, cracker, bread, herbal, floral, grass. Large sized pine, woody, peppery, grassy bitterness on the finish. Aromas were a lot more juicy, but still had a lot of dank vibrancy. Taste was far more aggressive on pine and citrus resins. Medium-plus carbonation and light-medium body. Fairly crisp with balanced grainy malts and sticky/resinous/rindy hops in the mouthfeel. Super long resinous drying finish with light astringency. Super dank and resinous with lots of Chinook and Columbus forward flavors. If you like aggressive C hops and west coast notes, this is up there with the greats. 4.25
    [​IMG]

Cheers

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 19 others like this.
  38. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Meyvn (1,161) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Maibock
    [​IMG]
    7.6% maibock from Wooly Pig Farm Brewery

A delicious and easy drinking maibock that paired perfectly with burnt ends of pork belly served at the farm at their May Day celebration. Body poured an attractive gold with a nice fluffy head. A thin head remained throughout the tasting, but there was only minor lacing.

Nose was present but not overwhelming Wafts of grain, bread, sweet cracker and floral notes from the Noble hops.

The taste followed nose with a nice sweetness from the malt bill. Just enough hops to almost balance the malt. Solid carbonation and strong malt yield a good mouthfeel. Very drinkable on a warm day like today. Though strong at 7.6%, the ABV is well hidden on this golden lager.

I’ll look forward to this one every year.

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 18 others like this.
  39. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,226) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Hello NBW friends and acquaintances, Mrs O and I are in West Palm Beach FL for a week’s vacation, so I’m NBWing on the fly. I muled four beers here, including a couple courtesy of @jonphisher in NBS BIF #15, but they need to chill, so they’ll wait until tomorrow. Here’s a pic from our balcony!

[​IMG]

Tonight’s beer is from a Cigar City mix pack we picked up at the local Publix. It’s got some whiskers, but three of the four beers are new to me, so I’ve got some ticking to do this week!

This first one is a variant of Cigar City’s most notorious (IMHO) beer, and my favorite that isn’t a ginormous stout. Let’s see where the variant takes us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3.92/5 rDev +1.3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    by ovaltine from Indiana

This beer pours a beautiful golden orange color with some haziness and a rocky white head that provides ample lacing. The nose has a significant tangerine aroma, as well as abundant pineapple notes, which isn’t surprising given the beer’s name, but is edging toward “not very balanced”-ville.

The taste is nearly overwhelmed by the tangerine and pineapple - I wish more of the base beer was present, but other than the caramalt flavor, which is nice, there’s just a lot of “fruity” and not a lot of “hoppy,” if that makes sense.

I’m glad I tried this, but give me the OG a billion times out of a billion.

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 20 others like this.
  40. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (395) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I did a side by side with Perpetual and Perpetual Haze. PH is a new to me beer and here's my notes:

Perpetual Haze - pours a hazy yellow but you can still see through it, fluffy head. Smell is similar to Perpetual but brighter and a little more citrus-y. Taste is nice, arguably quite similar to Perpetual but the big difference is that it's a little softer and ends less bitter and dryly and because of this I can pick out a few more flavors; I would argue just a bit more complex because of this combination. The description says that it combines the clean, crisp bitterness of a WCIPA with the softness of a hazy and that's accurate. My perfect combination for an IPA? It really could be, as it has enough of what I like from both. As it warms it maintains a consistent character.

Winner: Perpetual Haze for my palate but their differences is what I enjoyed about each beer. This was a fun side by side. Budmo!

What’s the Difference? Share your Side-by-Side (2022)

bbtkd, Chaz, MacMalt and 16 others like this.