New Belgium & Brewery Vivant Escoffier Wild #inacan

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by genuinedisciple, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genuinedisciple

genuinedisciple Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

Anyone tried this yet? It's a collaboration "wild ale" in a can. I just walked by a bunch of cans and didn't pick any up. I immediately regret that decision.

"The brewers used house yeast from Vivant for primary fermentation and then aged the beer with a wild yeast from New Belgium called Brettanomyces Bruxellensis. The result will be a dry, “kind of funky” amber beer, said Spaulding." - From MLive Interview

2. psykosis

psykosis Aspirant (216) May 21, 2009 Indiana

Is it on store shelves? I'll have to swing by my LBS to look if so. I'm a huge BV fan, so I need to give this a shot.

3. genuinedisciple

I was at Vivant.

4. loki993

loki993 Initiate (135) Apr 16, 2009 Michigan

Interesting. I always want to try Viviant I need to grab a 4 pack some time. Id live to try that but Im wondering if its brewery only like the stout was.

5. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

Is this for Michigan only, or is it getting distributed?

6. JohnB87

JohnB87 Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

I'd love to at least try a can.

7. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

I beleive it is BV's distribution so MI only for now, and Chicago in the Fall.

8. chrisbokmuller

chrisbokmuller Initiate (177) Sep 11, 2011 Michigan

Just looked this up, there was an article on Mlive.com about it. Sounds like it is in reg. distribution and is fairly limited. There will be a New Belgium version in 22oz. bottles later this year as well. So far it is un-named and should be out around Nov.

drgarage likes this.
  9. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (413) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Just hit Michigan!

10. jale

jale Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 Michigan

Had it on tap yesterday at Vivant. More like a belgian IPA IMO.

11. JohnB87

I didn't really get many sour notes from it. Belgian IPA is probably more like it. I'd be interested in trying the New Belgium version.

12. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Disciple (308) Aug 31, 2009 Michigan
    Trader

I have about 12 cans of this if anyone is interested in any trades. I thought it was good. Haven't given my official review on it yet but it'll be a good one.

13. geocool

geocool Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

I have nothing to add, but I just wanted to say "nice Avatar!"

JohnB87 likes this.
  14. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (973) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

I just picked a 4 pack up at Holiday. Looking forward to trying this.

15. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan

I heard both of you like it in the can! :stuck_out_tongue:

16. genuinedisciple

Well that stinks.

17. BeerBaronDarren

BeerBaronDarren Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2011 Michigan

Beer Baron in Livonia got some today. I can't wait to try it...

18. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Disciple (334) Feb 8, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

Ain't cheap - runs $4-5 for a 16 oz. can, but, damn, it's hard to find cans in good shape from this brewery for us collectors - went thru over 2 cases and couldn't find a single can with no dents and/or label defects... Got it to try though!

19. JohnB87

Yeah, the cans that I found were really sticky for some reason. Either a can exploded or the stock-boy couldn't handle the thought of Brewery Vivant and New Belgium collaborating together.
    No worries. A super-sour would have been awesome, but Belgian IPA's are pretty damn good (especially your homebrew).

20. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (413) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Not hearing many people talk about the actual beer. I thought it was a really really good beer, probably the best Vivant has made yet. I was pretty blown away with its flavor profile last night and am really glad I got a 4pack. All in all well worth it IMO.

Side note: is this the first ever Brett canned beer?

21. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Initiate (176) Jun 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Won't it take awhile for the sour to develop? I didn't even try one of my cans yet since I figured that was the case. Cans say it'll develop up to five years.... I've noticed that on GI products as well. Is there something with that 5 year cutoff or is that just a generally accepted max for brewer's to advocate?

22. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Aspirant (260) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

I had a couple cans of this last weekend, was really good. It's not a sour beer like Juliet, but it's definitely got some sour taste to it. Can't wait to try New Belgium's version.

23. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,087) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Is this going into NB distribution?

24. psykosis

Per the story on mlive, it is the first canned Brett beer. Pretty cool feather in the cap I think.

I grabbed a 4 pack last night, and will be having one with dinner tonight. If it's as good as I hear, I'll probably go back and get another 4 pack to age.

25. psykosis

As I understand it, it will only see the standard BV distribution. They only made around 500 cases, so it couldn't really handle NB's of distribution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.