News New Belgium Brewing Begins Asheville Brewery Construction

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,008) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

Fort Collins, CO (October 2013) – New Belgium Brewing will resume site work this November on its Asheville location along the French Broad River in preparation for ground-breaking next spring. Contractors will focus on flood plain mitigation, erosion control and concrete removal through the end of the year. Starting in January and running through spring, operations will shift to soil mitigation. Earth moving subcontractors will be hired in November and will begin trucking in dirt by early 2014 for flood plain mitigation. Current schedule projections show the site as “pad-ready” in late spring 2014 at which time building construction will commence. It is estimated that the Asheville brewery will be ready for production in late 2015.

“We are excited to enter this next phase of site preparation and building construction,” said New Belgium’s Asheville General Manager, Jay Richardson. “Adolphson + Peterson will begin site preparation in November, with groundbreaking scheduled for Spring 2014. Our current schedule has us producing beer in Asheville by the end of 2015 and a fine day that will be.”

New Belgium anticipates hiring 50 positions prior to opening the doors in 2015 and expects to create 140 jobs at full buildout between the brewery and distribution center. Many of these job openings will begin posting in mid 2015. New Belgium made its first Asheville hire this fall, bringing on board Asheville resident and engineer, Gabe Quisenberry, formerly with Mattern + Craig who will serve as Operations Support Manager.

The brewery will ultimately produce 500,000 barrels of beer per year and will feature production and packaging operations as well as a touring and tasting facility. Negotiations are moving forward to secure a second site for the distribution center as well. The distribution center will be built at the same time as the brewery. New Belgium is finalizing negotiations with the seller and will announce the site location upon completion. The distribution center will be the hub for distributing product to the east coast and will be located in an industrial area.

Updates to the community are provided at these channels: www.NewBelgium.com/AshevilleBrewery or 888-598-9552.

ABOUT NEW BELGIUM BREWING
    New Belgium Brewing, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, is recognized as one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work and one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses. The 100% employee-owned brewery is a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business as designated by the League of American Bicyclists, and one of World Blu’s most democratic U.S. businesses, and a Certified B Corp. In addition to Fat Tire, New Belgium brews eight year-round beers; Ranger IPA, Rampant Imperial IPA, Shift Pale Lager, Sunshine Wheat, 1554 Black Ale, Blue Paddle Pilsener, Abbey Belgian Ale and Trippel. Learn more at www.newbelgium.com.

###

2. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

There has actually been some worry expressed lately in the Asheville Citizen-Times that NB may pull out of this deal. Folks just got nervous I guess.
    From an AC-T column:
    Colorado-based New Belgium announced in May it was pushing back its construction time line for its East Coast brewery here by eight months because the company didn’t need the extra capacity as soon as previously thought.
    Their delay in building here “has allowed them to maximize efficiencies at both breweries and to open Asheville right when they need it to come online,” Hackett said.
    Asheville Mayor Terry Bellamy said she has heard nothing indicating New Belgium will not come.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,223) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Didn't the site also suffer from several cases of suspected arson, including some buildings they had planned to renovate or salvage? I thought that factored into the delay in construction, as well, but it is not noted in their PR.

ncstateplaya likes this.
  4. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (369) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

So 2+ years until they start distributing to PA. :slight_frown:

5. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

Let God shower Ashville with his infinite love, and let New Belgium only make La Folie there. 6 packs plz lol.

#pipedreams

6. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,371) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

You can always dream, but knowing the way logistics works, you will considered west of the Mississippi & may not see A-ville products:stuck_out_tongue:

7. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I noticed their logic.

8. Beerness

Beerness Aspirant (204) Mar 3, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

It's a bit ironic that a craft brewery hired a HUGE international architecture firm (BMC of the architecture world) to design their brewery. Sure they have an office in Charlotte, as well as New York, Boston, LA, Dubai, Sao Paolo, London, Toronto, Shanghai, etc, etc, etc. I think they are owned by an even bigger Lebanese consulting firm.

There are many great local architects that could have done a fantastic job with this project....and based on the economic climate of architecture at the time of the design, could have really used the work. I hope they at least hired a local firm as well, to be a liaison to the community.

Just sayin...

9. jmw

I'm guessing this is your line of business.
    I'm sure they are using some of the best and possibly biggest contractors out there for various parts of this expansion. Does this arch firm by chance have an office somewhere in Colorado also? Maybe this is a firm that they have worked with before and wanted to keep some consistency.

Or are you insinuating that they are getting too big for their britches? Maybe this is a sign that they have sold out and no longer care about local communities and local consumers and are really just out to grow themselves into a mini-BMC who takes over taps and shelf space in the southeast region, and has a mind to acquire some of the better regional breweries only to either close them down or destroy their quality, and then pull out like the last train out of Spruce only to leave people wondering what just happened. Because that would be absurd. I'm sure there are local welders and metalsmiths also, but I'm betting NB choose to go with a pretty big, most likely foreign, company to make all their tanks for the facility. Doesn't mean they hate locals, just means they want the best.

What are you trying to insinuate actually? Why is this ironic?

10. Beerness

Beer Trader

Yes, this is my line of business, so yeah, that's why I care at all. I know most people don't care at all about the design profession, which is probably why I felt the need to comment. Personally, I think that good design requires a good knowledge and experience of the local site/community. So I'm a proponent for staying local when it comes to architecture (as much as you can, at least), but no...I'm not some locavore nut, and I don't think local should always come before quality.

Also, I'm not trying to insinuate anything, thought I was pretty clear with what I was saying....and you are reading WAY too much into my comment. Definitely not saying New Belgium has sold out and doesn't care about the locals, and I know all they've done to support the local community in Asheville (and I think it's awesome). I also know why they went with a firm like Perkins&Will....they have a massive staff/resources and tons of experience and money that helps them impress at job interviews.

Also thought it was pretty clear why it's ironic...craft brewery hires multi-national conglomerate.

Oh...and no, Perkins & Will does not have an office in Colorado.

azorie and jmw like this.
  11. nogophers

nogophers Aspirant (255) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

...but A & P does and I'm guessing the relationship started with them.

12. jmw

Knee jerk reaction. Many here want to try and run a brewery down once they perceive them as being too big.
    good comments

nogophers and Beerness like this.
  13. Beerness

Beer Trader

Honestly, I applaud the growth of breweries like Sierra Nevada and New Belgium when it comes to their growth and development, especially when they can maintain their quality like these two do.....and especially when it means they open really awesome destination breweries in my state.

nogophers and jmw like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Defender (685) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I know that Sierra Nevada is sourcing as much local talent as they can to upfit their new facility. A friend is making some beautiful custom metal work for the Mills River site, where he lives, very nearby.

15. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Disciple (326) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

My understanding from the reps is that the explansions that took place in Colorado put them in line for projected production/sales until 2015. That could be a ton of crap, of course.

16. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

"bringing on board Asheville resident and engineer, Gabe Quisenberry, formerly with Mattern + Craig who will serve as Operations Support Manager."

Sounds like they hired a local person to fill that role.

17. tlh1005

tlh1005 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Not to mention, where does one draw the line on what they should be bringing to the community. They're definitely creating some sustainable jobs for the area. They're building a huge industrial facility so I am sure some component of what is necessary transcends regional knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.