New Belgium Brewing is Starting a Clean Beer Revolution with The Purist

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

The first-of-its-kind beer is USDA certified organic with just 95 calories, 3g of carbs, and flawless taste. Now available nationwide.

(Fort Collins, Colo. - March 16, 2020) – Clean eaters and beer lovers alike can rejoice in the creation of a whole new category of beer - the clean lager. New Belgium Brewing announces its launch of The Purist Clean Lager, a USDA Certified Organic beer with obsessively-sourced organic ingredients, a clean, refreshing taste, and only 95 calories and 3g of carbs. The first-of-its-kind clean beer is out nationwide today.

The Purist is a labor of love that brings together New Belgium’s innovation leadership with its endless drive to prove business can be a force for good. Sustainability has been a core value for the brewery since day one and New Belgium’s experience in brewing organic beers can be traced back to the 1990s. Brewing any organic beer is a challenge – brewing The Purist demands perfection. It’s a style that leaves nowhere to hide any flaws. New Belgium’s brewing team is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what beer can be, and The Purist is the latest example.

“This is probably the most technically challenging beer I have ever brewed,” said Cody Reif, Research and Development Brewer at New Belgium. “Sourcing organic ingredients to brew a flavorful beer proved to be just short of impossible, but that was only half the battle. Getting the brewing process right was the other half, and I honestly believe we are the only craft brewery in the country that can deliver a beer like this.”

The Purist’s clean and refreshing taste is a result of pristine, first-use mountain water, organic Oregon barley from the oldest maltster in the Western United States - Great Western Malting - and organic hops grown on a single farm in Oregon’s Willamette Valley. By honoring the ingredients at every stage of the rigorous process, The Purist is in a new class of its own.
    • Availability: Nationwide mid-March 2020 in 6 packs
    • Suggested Retail Price: $8.99-9.99
    • Calories: 95; Carbs: 3g; ABV: 3.8%
    • Tasting Notes: clean & refreshing with lightly sweet notes of green apple.
    For more information on The Purist Clean Lager, visit www.thepuristbeer.com. To find The Purist Clean Lager or any of New Belgium’s other offerings, visit the beer finder or download New Belgium’s Beer Mode app.

About New Belgium Brewing
    New Belgium Brewing is recognized as a leader in sustainability and social responsibility. Founded in 1991 in Fort Collins, Colorado, the company expanded to Asheville, North Carolina in 2016 and Denver, Colorado in 2018 and is now the 4th largest craft brewery in the U.S. Dedicated to proving that business can be a force for good, New Belgium is a Certified B Corp and was the first brewery to join 1% for the Planet. The brewery has donated over $26 million to charitable causes since 1991. New Belgium is famous for its flagship beer, Fat Tire Amber Ale, along with year-round favorites like Voodoo Ranger IPA, Mural Agua Fresca Cerveza, and La Folie Sour Brown Ale; as well as an award-winning wood-aged sour program and innovative limited release beers. To learn more about the full product lineup and New Belgium’s Human Powered Business model, visit https://www.NewBelgium.com

###

2. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (354) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Curious how that squares with Michelob Ultra Pure Gold? Is it that it's the 'first of it's kind' for NB? Or that Purist 'certified organic', meaning all ingredients and processes adhere to 'certified organic' practices?
    More likely, IMO, Michelob is not made completely with organic ingredients and processes. The only reference I see to 'organic' on the Michelob web-page is about the grains (and an allusion to the contributions customers will be making to the effort when buying a sixer.)

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  3. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,578) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I really enjoyed the Samuel Smith’s Organic Lager and Peak Organic is pretty good too. I’ll have to try this out if I see it.

4. toolbrew

toolbrew Defender (621) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

So...acetaldehyde?

raynmoon, pjeagles and vurt like this.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

No idea. Haven't tried it yet.

6. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'll definitely give this one a try.

7. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,371) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Why not, it seems worth a shot.

Gemini6, dukeandduke and Bitterbill like this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,078) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

If I see it, I'll get it.

Gemini6 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  9. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (296) Nov 3, 2005 California

Waiting for the Purist Triple Hazy IPA.

Gemini6, eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  10. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,114) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society

I have a hard time with any brewery whose first self applied accolade is that it is sustainable and responsible. Worthy goals but not the first reason a buy a beer.

dukeandduke and StoutElk_92 like this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So... if this is "clean" beer, what are their and other brewers' beers which aren't brewed exclusively with certified organic ingredients?
    "Dirty", "contaminated", "adulterated"?
    Seems like a pretty divisive and self-destructive campaign.

But, then, I also don't understand their whole "Voodoo" zombie/skull branding, either. :rolling_eyes: Why would they think that would be attractive to a beer buyer?

Hmmm... "now", not "was" ? Well, I guess that depends on who's doing the defining...

12. FBarber

Society Trader

Come on Jess - we all know exactly what its targeted at ... the hazy, murk bombs.

Gemini6 likes this.
  13. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,247) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

How is Samuel Smith's organic lager not the first? Glad to see the new corporate overlords are flexing the full power of their adspeak.

Gemini6 and FBarber like this.
  14. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,578) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

What I was thinking after I read it all is that this is organic, and also light in calories. Like how @riptorn was comparing it to Michelob Pure Gold, it's a fair comparison. Not only is it an organic lager, it is a low cal/carb lager, following in the trends of a lot of low-cal beer options coming from US brewers recently. I guess the difference between this beer and Pure Gold is that it is a "craft beer", for whatever that is worth these days.

Gemini6 and dukeandduke like this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ya think? Yeah, it didn't dawn on me (but I'm kinda agnostic about that whole "haze" controversy).

But I thought there was some sort of "eat clean" thing going on which I assume is an organic/natural food movement. I see billboards all over NJ that say only "EAT CLEAN BRO" * which no other info and the press release also mentions "Clean eaters". (Not to be confused with "Clean Plate Club" of WWI and post-WWII).

* Looks like that is some sort of home food delivery service...WTF!

Hey, anyone remember when Brooklyn brewer Garrett Oliver got all annoyed when the TV show "Dirty Jobs" was filmed at a brewery? (Somewhere in VT, I think?). He thought it was a bad idea to link "dirty" with beer in the public's mind.

Gemini6 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  16. FBarber

Society Trader

Interesting ... I wasn't familiar with the "eat clean" thing - its not something that I really run across. I just immediately thought of it as a response to the whole hazy IPAs and lactose adjunct laden stouts.

17. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (780) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Wasn’t Uinta brewing organic and solar powered beers years ago?

Enjoy