New Belgium Brewing Reveals Next Hop Kitchen and Lips of Faith Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Ft. Collins, CO (Nov 2013) – Attention, Lips Lovers! New Belgium Brewing’s two newest quarterly Lips of Faith offerings, Cigar City + New Belgium Collaboration Ale and Wild2 Dubbel are now out for all to enjoy. Collaborations have become a favorite in the Lips of Faith line and this meeting of the minds with Tampa’s Cigar City Brewing continues that tradition. Wild2 Dubbel will reintroduce the soon-to-be-famous Schisandra fruit to beer lovers everywhere.

The Cigar City + New Belgium Collaboration Ale beer starts with a fruity, citrus nose, followed by an abundance of Cascade, Pacific Jade and Wakatu hops. Anaheim and Marash chilies usher in a flavor that starts sweet, gets tangy and finishes spicy and tannic. Spanish Cedar spirals were added for some subtle woody and tobacco tones and a Bier de Garde yeast brings zesty phenols for topping. ABV 8.5%.

“This playful, full-bodied beer will be a delight in Florida, Colorado and everywhere in between,” said New Belgium Assistant Brewmaster Grady Hull. “Meanwhile, Wild2 Dubbel is in a class of its own, offering a traditional, Belgian-style dubbel with a wild side.”

Wild2 Dubbel is full of dark and robust malts creating deep chestnut tones and a tawny haze. Along with brettanomyces, this beer is spiced with the mysterious and splendid Schisandra, known as the five flavored fruit, bringing a complex peppery and pineapple push to top the banana and bubblegum notes of the Trappist yeast. The beer opens sweet and creamy, mingles with the tropic tones of the conditioning bretta, and finishes with a dry, warm spice. ABV 8%.

Over in the Hop Kitchen Series, this season’s Fresh Hop is a medium-full bodied IPA made with certified salmon-safe Oregon hops that are picked fresh off the vine and trucked directly to our brew kettle. It starts out malty sweet, builds in some bitterness with a long bitter linger. Learn more about certified salmon-safe hops at www.salmonsafe.org. Fresh Hop is 7% ABV and 75 IBUs.

“Fresh Hop is made with salmon-safe Crystal and Sterling hops that are grown using practices that ensure healthy watersheds that allow native salmon to spawn and thrive,” added Hull. “We are proud to support the efforts of farmers who work hard for that salmon-safe designation. It makes the beer taste that much more satisfying.”

To find New Belgium beers near you, use the New Belgium Libation Location tool: http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/locator.aspx. Pricing varies by location. You can also follow New Belgium on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/newbelgium and Twitter @NewBelgium.

About New Belgium Brewing Company
    New Belgium Brewing, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, is recognized as one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work and one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses. The 100% employee-owned brewery is a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business as designated by the League of American Bicyclists, and one of World Blu’s most democratic U.S. businesses, and a Certified B Corp. In addition to Fat Tire, New Belgium brews eight year-round beers; Ranger IPA, Rampant Imperial IPA, Shift Pale Lager, Sunshine Wheat, 1554 Black Ale, Blue Paddle Pilsener, Abbey Belgian Ale and Trippel. Learn more at www.newbelgium.com.

###

TonyJ815 and freakeconomist like this.
  2. bugsmasher

bugsmasher Sep 20, 2012 Texas

All of their beers taste like they have a bacterial infection,I'm sure this will too.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  3. basics

basics Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Both sound interesting, but Lips of Faith are always mediocre, barring the incredible Le Terroir. I'll probably pick up both of these though.

4. Prh27

Prh27 Apr 24, 2012 Virginia

Cigar City and spanish cedar. Imagine that.

5. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

Saw the Cigar City, got excited cuz I've never seen CCB in NC, but didn't end up buying. Will read some reviews now.

6. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Beer Trader

You forgot about Eric's Ale, Super IPA, and La Folie

beerinNV, KVNBGRY, dedbeer and 2 others like this.
  7. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

And Tart Lychee.

I'm excited to try the Wild2, and I've been very pleased thus far with the other Hop Kitchen offerings. Both the Hoppy Bock Lager and French Aramais were very good, and they are dirt cheap. I don't feel like sub-$3 bombers are terribly common, and my bottle of Salmon Safe Fresh Hop was only $2.75.

afrokaze, fehrminator and Rainblows like this.
  8. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Don't forget the amazing cocoa mole!

MarkyMOD likes this.
  9. Rainblows

Rainblows Feb 27, 2013 Illinois

Tart lychee. I just want more tart lychee.

10. freakeconomist

freakeconomist Oct 8, 2013 Georgia

Imperial coffee chocolate!!

NeedBeerHere and notchucknorris like this.
  11. KBSII

KBSII Aug 23, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Was I the only one who liked the Cascara Quad?

MarkyMOD likes this.
  12. basics

Beer Trader

Unfortunately never got to try Eric's ale, and I forgot about La Folie. I'm not sure why they don't try and make more sours actually, though IIRC I heard they weren't making any money on La Folie or Le Terroir but just wanted to put some sours out there to see how it went.

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

On New Belgium's site it lists another Hop Kitchen beer called Rewind. Has anyone seen this available?

14. olekern

olekern Sep 25, 2010 California

I liked it too.

15. olekern

olekern Sep 25, 2010 California

Probably around Jan 1.

16. danbrew

danbrew Nov 5, 2006 Oregon

I just picked up a New Belgium IPA variety pack at Costco that includes Rewind. Also included in the pack are French Aramis and Rampant.

Schwegler likes this.
  17. blackcompg

blackcompg Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

Danbrew, may I ask how many bottles (I think they are bombers) came in the pack, and approximately the price you paid? I believe they have these at the Costco by me, and I'm thinking of skipping out there during lunch before they are sold out - thanks in advance :)

18. UCLABrewN84

At my Costco, you got 6 bombers (2 of each beer) for $19.99.

blackcompg likes this.
  19. TickleMeTony

TickleMeTony Sep 18, 2013 Colorado

I totally agree they should put out more sours. Most of theirs I've tried have been at least pretty good. I think they're all on the right track. Le Terroir is a pants-creamer but this years La Folie I had tasted like old cardboard and poop. Pretty Disappointed :(

I want a peach sour from the Lips of Faith series. Now.

20. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Nov 21, 2013 Minnesota

I just found one the other day. After the Abyss and BCBS was sold out they took out a bunch of stuff from the cellar including a Tart lychee, Peach Porch Lounger, and a 2008-2010 vertical of BCBS. I was able to pick up a Trascendatal Kriek (or however you spell it) and a couple others from the past that I really liked. Some of the new Lips of Faith Series have really been a let down. They have so much potential and are so good at what they do. Think about your new beers please Lauran. You have a hell of a nose. Make me good beer. :) More good sours and less beers with odd fruits I haven't heard of that don't taste good..

Edit: The irony... when I went diving in Bonaire, Lauren was on my dive boat. Odd coinkidinks.

Hope the Wild is good. Too many collaborations these days.

#20 NeedBeerHere, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  21. basics

Beer Trader

Le Terroir was really peachy to me, just saying. Pink grapefruit and peach was all I got on the nose and taste.

22. NeedBeerHere

Funny when I met Lauren she told me that was her recipe. She has been in charge of barrel program for at least 15 years. It's definitely a great beer. So is La Folie but it is $5 more. Bought them both lately but wonder why it is so much more. Probably more work and aging.

23. basics

Beer Trader

Do you mean to say peach and pink grapefruit was the recipe? I have a vague remembrance that La Folie actually was losing money and they were just putting it out to further the name, but that might be totally wrong or only for the first year. Anyways, I was so happy to see Le Terroir for $8.75 this year

24. Acropora

Acropora Oct 15, 2013 California

Which Costco is this?

25. NeedBeerHere

Like Peach Porch Lounger? Can't remember it was sour. Probably not so much but still a great beer. I like most any sour they make. They have stumbled with some of their latest like the coconut beer. That was hell on tap.

#25 NeedBeerHere, Dec 10, 2013
  26. NeedBeerHere

I have no idea what the recipe was. She just told me it was her recipe. Now that you say it I guess I remember hearing that La Folie was possibly not a money maker. Yes seeing Le Terrior at a good price is nice.

One thing to remember about Lips of Faith is that it is flash pasteurized so when you buy a bottle they think it is at it's best. No more bugs to make changes in cellaring and in fact they tell you that cellaring Lips of Faith will likely result in a beer not as good as when you bought it according to Lauren.

#26 NeedBeerHere, Dec 10, 2013
    Spinaltapped and basics like this.
  27. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Sep 20, 2010 Nebraska

Seems like a lot of brewers are telling people not to cellars the their beers these days. Last time I went to one of Lauren's seminars she served barrel-aged Ooh La la that was atleast 3 years old, just sayin'.

28. NeedBeerHere

Not sure what to say. She did an interview in a magazine called "...... the Funk." Not sure of the first part. She advised against cellaring Lips of Faith. See if I can find the article.

http://embracethefunk.com/2012/06/26/lauren-salazar-of-new-belgium-qa/

29. TheSaboteur

TheSaboteur Sep 20, 2010 Nebraska

Oh, I wasn't saying I didn't believe you. Just find it a bit perplexing. I drank a 2002 La Folie last Christmas... it was pretty dang good.

30. NeedBeerHere

I think that's different because it is cork and caged. Obviously people cellar those. They were not pasturized so they still have live bugs. But Ironically it sounded like she was against that too. Basically her thing is we bottle the beer when it is at what we think is the best. Cellaring may make them not as good according to her. BUT... you can bet she cellared quite a bit to see what happened and it has always sounded good.

Regardless... I would love to have a chance to try one of those. I'm sure it was as good as most say they are.

I would love to visit the brewery and say hay remember me and see if she would help me out with some neat stuff. She seemed to be a pretty nice person. I would like to get some Erics Ale as it seems everybody raves about it. No trip to Colorado planned for the future though. This kid is going SCUBA diving!!! :D

#30 NeedBeerHere, Dec 10, 2013
  31. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I was at sourfest in Charlotte and enjoyed Terroir more than the bad keg of fv13 they had. I think it was old or undercarbonated or something. I kept going back to terroir after I had tasted everything.

32. Quickicks

Quickicks Aug 26, 2013 North Carolina

How bout that peach lambic from natty greene's?

cbros likes this.
  33. bcp5296d

Beer Trader

yes the peach lambic was very good :) I liked the wild west too.

34. Quickicks

Quickicks Aug 26, 2013 North Carolina

That lambic stole the show for me. Also loved Fonte Flora and Haw River ales.

cbros and DWheeler379 like this.
  35. UCLABrewN84

Santa Clarita.

36. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Damn, I wish they had that $20 bomber six-pack from New Belgium at my Costco.

Here in the KC area, instead we have $22 three-packs of 750 mL bottles from the Sam Adams "Barrel Room Collection". I'm not exactly sure of which three (since there are five Barrel Room Collection beers), but if memory serves it was the New World Tripel, the Tetravis Quad and the Stony Brook Red.

37. bcp5296d

Beer Trader

I'm kinda picky when it comes to new belgium. We do have cheap cases of foothills hoppium at my costco in charlotte though. Great buy for a fairly good ipa. and its supporting local.

Quickicks likes this.
  38. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Sep 21, 2012 Texas

Can't speak to the financials but they expanded their barrel room this year or last and that has temporarily limited the amount of sour beer they have available since they had to use some of the existing stock to inoculate the new foudres.

39. LotsofLupulin

LotsofLupulin May 5, 2012 Colorado

Ever heard of Eric's Ale? There's your answer.

TheRealDBCooper likes this.
  40. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

She is insanely nice. Love Lauren Salazar..

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe