New Belgium Brewing Reveals Next Rotating Voodoo Ranger - Juicifer IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, May 8, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,054) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

New Belgium Brewing Reveals Next Rotating Voodoo Ranger - Juicifer IPA

[​IMG]

Moderately sweet and devilishly juicy - next level hoppy innovation is on the way

(FORT COLLINS) New Belgium Brewing is celebrating summer with the release of Juicifer IPA, a new offering in the Voodoo Ranger Rotating IPA Series. Juicifer IPA riffs off the hazy IPA style, brimming with juicy flavors and citrus aromas delivered by Citra INCOGNITO™, Galaxy and Chinook hops.

Voodoo Ranger Juicifer IPA pours a hazy golden pale, with a sweet, slightly citrus-y start giving way to subtle sourness before finishing with a potent hop punch. Aromas of guava and pineapple dominate this medium-bodied beer.

“Innovation and experimentation is the name of the game when it comes to our rotating IPA series,” said Ross Koenigs, Research and Development Brewer at New Belgium. “For Juicifer, we took our cues from hazy IPAs, but turned up the volume on the hop bitterness. It’s big hop flavor that is easy drinking.”

Juicifer IPA is the latest hoppy brew in the Voodoo Ranger Rotating IPA line, each available in 6 pack, 12-ounce cans and on draft. This series was born out of New Belgium’s desire to further experiment with hop-forward flavors while highlighting the brewery’s ground-floor collaborations with hop producers to cultivate cutting-edge, experimental varieties.

“The Voodoo Ranger Rotator series allows our brewers to engage in playful exploration that can bring entirely new flavor profiles to the world of IPA’s,” said Koenigs. “We’re just getting started with this exciting new series. Beer drinkers should keep an eye out for each ground-breaking offering throughout the year.”

Later in 2019, watch for Hop Avenger IPA, a special crowd-sourced release featuring Jester and Chinook hops that pack a tropical aroma with a pineapple punch. More specific details will be available on series offerings as selections become available.

Voodoo Ranger Juicifer IPA

Malts: Pale, Oats, Munich
    Hops: Citra INCOGNITO™, Galaxy, Chinook
    Yeast: Ale

ABV: 7.7%
    IBU: 50

Availability: Now in 12-ounce cans and draft across the nation.

For more information about New Belgium or any of its beers, visit www.newbelgium.com.

About New Belgium Brewing
    New Belgium Brewing, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, is recognized as one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work, one of the Wall Street Journal’s Best Small Businesses and tops Bicycling Magazine’s Best Companies for Cyclists. The 100% employee-owned brewery is a Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business as designated by the League of American Bicyclists, one of World Blu’s most democratic U.S. businesses, and a Certified B Corp. In addition to Fat Tire Amber Ale, New Belgium brews fourteen year-round beers: Citradelic Tangerine IPA, Fat Tire Belgian White, The Hemperor HPA, Voodoo Ranger IPA, Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA, Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA, Sour Saison, Honey Orange Tripel, Dayblazer Easygoing Ale, 1554 Enlightened Dark Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Abbey Belgian Style Ale, Trippel and a gluten-reduced beer, Glutiny Pale Ale. To learn more, visit NewBelgium.com and follow the brewery on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

###

2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (581) Mar 28, 2009 California

“Voodoo Ranger Juicifer IPA pours a hazy golden pale, with a sweet, slightly citrus-y start giving way to subtle sourness before finishing with a potent hop punch.”

Subtle sourness sounds weird. Not a tasting note I usually get or prefer in my IPAs.

The hops and malt sound good. The use of citra incognito is an interesting change.

#2 GetMeAnIPA, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,022) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

This is the first time I have heard of “INGOGNITO” as relates to hops - Citra INCOGNITO™ in this instance.

I decided to do some web searching to see if I can learn more. Below is a video I found which details what INGOGNITO means here; it is a differing ‘format’ of a processed hop.

Don’t blink or you might miss something in today’s very dynamic craft beer world.

Cheers!

upsbeernut likes this.
  4. GetMeAnIPA

How many times did the guy say “great flavor”. I get the idea but I didn’t really see what it exactly is. There are a bunch of hop extracts and cryo hops in the market. What is the difference with this product?

5. JackHorzempa

Society

Did you watch the entire video?

There are a number of benefits for commercial brewers to utilize this product:

· Reduced shipping and storage costs

· Less clean up and less waste

· There was a suggestion it improves hop flavor shelf-life

· Etc.

Cheers!

6. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,043) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

We got it last week. I opened a can on Friday...its decent but it doesn't really stand out in what's become such a crowded field.

dcotom, drtth, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  7. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (80) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Got it in last week as well. I agree with your assessment, it's a decent brew, but nothing above average.

ESHBG and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  8. GetMeAnIPA

I watched half but it was just sales/marketing rhetoric. I heard all that stuff but it doesn’t explain what the difference is between this and extract and or cryo hops. Cryo hops have the same benefits: reduced wort loss, higher yield, more efficient etc. also, it doesn’t explain what it is, meaning how is the product created. Is concentrated hops with out the plant matter?

9. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,645) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

This dropped here a few days ago, sounds like its average at best from feedback I am seeing.

10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,645) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Spot on, that is what a few friends said also. Was ok but nothing they would seek out again.

11. JackHorzempa

Society

I have brewed with Cryo hops and while they may be more 'efficient' than regular pellet hops from a wort loss perspective they still have vegetative matter so there is still wort loss due to this.

My recommendation is that you contact HAAS if you need more exact/specific answers here.

Cheers!

12. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (272) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

I love it, it has the bitter mid way thru that is perfect. Juicy up front and well balanced

TheRougeBastard, dcotom and ESHBG like this.
  13. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

That's about what I like in my IPAs: malt, bitter, malt, I like when the bitter hits my palate in the middle vs at the end.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

I am not that interested. I was just curious because their video didn’t tell us what it is. It was just a sale pitch. Anyways, cheers!

15. JackHorzempa

Society

Your choice.
    But with input from a number of commercial breweries: Sun King, Revolution, New Belgium.

Cheers!

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,771) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

[QUOTE="GetMeAnIPA, post: 6488343, member: 313611" I heard all that stuff but it doesn’t explain what the difference is between this and extract...[/QUOTE]

Really. Gee, why didn't someone think of this before!

Oh, wait, they did - over a century ago.:rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    But, still, you'd think some brewers would come out against this "shortcut"... some did once before.
    [​IMG]

17. JackHorzempa

Society

Really. Gee, why didn't someone think of this before!

Oh, wait, they did - over a century ago.:rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    But, still, you'd think some brewers would come out against this "shortcut"... some did once before.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    JK, in your 'database' do you have details where they brewed two of the same beers but with differing hop products and conducted blind trials of those two beers? That would be useful information.

Cheers!

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,589) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've never been a fan of Voodoo Ranger anything but if I can get a single, I will give it a try.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  19. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,690) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I love the name. Haha. "Juicifer" is brilliant.
    I liked the previous rotating IPA, so I'll probably try this.

ESHBG, dcotom and Bitterbill like this.
  20. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (305) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Trader

21. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,192) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

Hopefully theres no conflict with the already existing name and same style of Jucifer from Gnarly Barley Brewing...

22. JackHorzempa

Society

Rut-roh! Do you think that Gnarly will be sending a cease and desist letter?

Cheers!

P.S. Maybe New Belgium decided to not distribute this beer in Louisiana?

benzodrums likes this.
  23. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (448) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I might be mistaken, but my understanding is that they built the Voodoo Ranger series as a way to somewhat skirt crowded beer name world.

24. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (32) May 15, 2018 Virginia

At least they disclose the malt bill, not a fan of oats in IPAs, it's gross. I'll pass. NB does some styles well, hoppy beers are not it.

25. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,192) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois

Hopefully not. The beer name world is so saturated, plus they'll probably argue its under the Voodoo Ranger. Doesn't matter to me anyways, im always down to try New Belgiums beers

26. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (708) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not usually a fan of NB beers but I do like oats and the slight sour sounds good in an IPA. Will give this a try if I see a single

Enjoy

thesherrybomber likes this.
  27. GetMeAnIPA

BalancingBrooms likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I just bought a single at a store's build your own 6pack.

29. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (280) Nov 3, 2005 California

I tried the other Voodoo Ranger beers, thought they were all solid for the price tag. Will also pick a 6er of this up.

30. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I almost did the same but ended up skipping the mixed pack in the end, curious to hear your thoughts.

Bitterbill likes this.
  31. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I am not a fan of the Voodoo Ranger series in general. I'm hoping that this will be to my liking.

ESHBG likes this.
  32. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (624) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I recall liking the original Ranger but it appears to have been abandoned altogether. Subsequently I’ve never really cared for the Voodoo series & now hearing not so good reviews of the latest IPA.

Perhaps NB can focus on improving Fat Tire Amber & the White Ale? And I never see what used to be a good Pilsner here in the northeast. Brand is a mess IMO.

joerooster and Bitterbill like this.
  33. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I used to really love Blue Paddle.

ManBearPat and SunDevilBeer like this.
  34. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (448) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Its just bohemian Pilsner now as I’m sure you’re aware of, but I don’t really think it changed all that much... maybe slightly but insignificant nonetheless.

I’m sure I’ end up trying the OP beer, but it’ll likely be the result of a place running out of the real IPA in town :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (363) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Woof. Not good at all.

36. jacewg

jacewg Zealot (592) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

They're taking the ad copy way too far. This reads like a beer review of someone trying way too hard.

37. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (32) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Pretty much how I feel about NB, they should focus on beers other than IPAs. More BA sours would be nice if they can keep the price down a little. The only NB beers I see now are mixed 12s, Voodoo stuff and Fat Tire.

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  38. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I bought a single because I have never been a fan of their hoppy beers and this is no exception.

ManBearPat likes this.