Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

New Belgium Brewing to Unveil New Packaging in 2014

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ash37

ash37 Aug 30, 2013 Indiana

im not big NB fan but i like the new labels, very Norman Rockwell

2. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Pig...I would like to introduce you to lipstick. Lipstick....pig.

3. qchic

qchic Jul 6, 2004 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I thought the same! Regardless, I will still continue to explore NB beers as I like how they operate, and that they pull BMC drinkers in with the Fat Tire.

4. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Apr 17, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

They reprimanded some of their "specialty regulars"; Ranger, Tripped, Abbey. Not sure why they chose those beers, but I didn't like one company differentiating their own regular beers. I actually sat in a session to choose new branding and they had some funky ideas. I'm interested to see all the labels. Glad they are creating a uniform package again!

5. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin

Amen, never understood the dislike for NB, they are on par with SN for big breweries for me. Hell I will take a Ranger over a Torpedo everyday, always keep a 12 of cans on hand.

On a different note, the new labeling is just as good as the old labeling. However I like the Ranger Design now. It just says RANGER.... Do we really need pictures on every beer we purchase.

6. Kerrie

Kerrie Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

The bf and I love the Trippel, but roosters on the label? I showed him the pic and he was all, "why chickens? Why not monkeys or ninjas or something?" That would make about as much sense...

7. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

They did need to unify the branding. I like it. NB is solid and I very much respect them as a company. I will add that unlike a previous poster, I can't stand Ranger IPA. It's one of the few popular IPAs that I really dislike. Whereas Torpedo is great to me.

8. joeebbs

joeebbs Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

denver10 likes this.
  9. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

From my understanding it's always used lager yeast, fermented at higher ale temps. Brewer's discretion I guess.

denver10 likes this.
  10. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Jan 17, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I really dig the art design. Don't think it will sell more beer, but you gotta have a label so it might as well look cool

11. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Cool, vintage-y art design.

Probably won't buy, but I like anyway.

12. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Mar 13, 2011 Illinois
    Subscriber

Thank you for representing me...

It was Ranger and a handful of other New Belgium beers at my local grocery store that convinced me beer was more than BMC and had actual flavor. If not for the New Belgium offerings, I wouldn't have found the entire amazing world of craft beer (from the Ranger that was so long a staple of my fridge to the Pipeworks, Revolution, New Glarus, and 3Floyds I now enjoy!).

13. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Fat Tire was my first craft beer, pulled an all-nighter my freshman year of college to write a paper, still have that bottle cap... Tasted like shit, getting it from small town Iowa it was probably a decade old (16.9 bottle). My third craft beer (minus some shock top) was a month after I turned 21. Mothership Wit paired with a spicy stew (yayyy crock pots), kinda stumbled onto craft, but heard it was best with the proper glassware, so I did that. Literally got me high (half as much so as the previous night under the same circumstances, but sub Blonde Betty for MW, not long lasting and way different than a green high). Never got high off beer again, but it's an understatement to say I don't have a special place in my beer filled heart for NB (same for Boulder Beer, even though I don't drink their beer despite living in the same city now...). Even though Colorado south of Ft. Collins gets NB distributed perhaps last in the country, I still love 'em.

14. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Fat Tire is fantastic - I just wish it was sold around here.

They have beer styles on the label - I wonder what the brewmaster thinks of this. From an interview:

"I do not make beer styles. I create beer. Like an artist, I create. You will classify it. Jackson Pollock did not care how he was going to be classified.

I want to initiate a crusade against Beer Styles. Limiting the creativity of any artist in this way should be the death penalty. Although, I am not in favor of death penalty."

15. MilkManX

MilkManX Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

Meh. I don't care for em but I don't hate the new labels either. I dig their beer so it will just take me time to get use to the new look.

16. nachos

nachos Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I think the new labels look good. New Belgium was my first introduction to beer beyond the BMC had some Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat at a Phish show when I was 18. They produce a butt load of beer that is always solid to excellent. No matter what happens in the craft beer future, I think I will be quite satisfied if companies like New Belgium and Sierra keep doing what they're doing.

17. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

I like their original labels best.

18. Knox_Worrell

Knox_Worrell Sep 27, 2013 North Carolina

Screw labels, make a Coffee and Caramel tasting Porter NB.

19. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Jan 16, 2011 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Nice labels. I like the old ones but if they had to go these are pretty good.

20. WVbeergeek

WVbeergeek Sep 24, 2002 West Virginia

21. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Wonder if they are making new bottle caps, too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe