New Belgium Brewing’s Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA Flashes Back to the Future of IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, May 1, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,518) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Easy Drinking, Fruit-Forward IPA for National Release in time for Summer

(Fort Collins, CO-May 1, 2020)– New Belgium Brewing announces its newest launch of the Voodoo Ranger rotating IPA series, 1985 IPA. Hazy, like the mid-80s were for most of us, this IPA is like, totally loaded with juicy mango freshness. High in flavor and low in bitterness at 6.7% ABV, this easy drinking beer is the perfect addition to your summer wardrobe. Available in 12oz, 6 pack cans, 1985 IPA conveniently fits into all fanny packs.

[​IMG]

New Belgium’s Voodoo Ranger portfolio just leveled-up. The entire Voodoo Ranger portfolio is up over 40% vs. last year and the Rotating series (the #1 Craft brand launch in 2019), is now New Belgium’s 5th bestselling brand. 1985 IPA is the newest release in this series and is bursting with juicy mango, pineapple and guava flavors and aromatics. This bright, fruit-forward IPA showcases a refreshing flavor and slightly lower ABV for bodacious drinkability.

When asked about this latest Voodoo Ranger rotator, Ross Koenigs, Research and Development Brewer at New Belgium said, “For 1985 IPA, we wanted to make a hazy IPA to crush during summertime. 1985 uses loads of Citra and Simcoe hops and then dials up the fruit factor with the addition of mango. The result is an impossibly juicy and drinkable IPA arriving just in time for summer.”

1985 IPA pairs best with sunglasses and neon, so when you’re outside enjoying some fun in the sun make sure you have this totally radical IPA in hand.

Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA was brewed and canned with the following characteristics:

• Alcohol 6.7% ABV
    • IBUs: 30
    • Style: Hazy, Juicy India Pale Ale
    • Hops: Citra, Simcoe and Cascade
    • Malt: Pale Malt, Oats and Wheat
    • Visual: Medium-Heavy Sheen
    • Flavor and aroma: Aromas of Mango, Pineapple, Guava. A slightly sweet juicy mango flavor fades to moderate bitterness that lightly lingers.
    • Availability: Nationwide early May in 12 oz cans and on draft
    • Suggested Retail Price: $10.99 for a 6-pack
    For more information on Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA, visit newbelgium.com. To find the nearest Voodoo Ranger 1985 IPA or any of New Belgium’s other offerings, visit the beer finder or download New Belgium’s Beer Mode app.

About New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing is recognized as a leader in sustainability and social responsibility. Founded in 1991 in Fort Collins, Colorado, the company expanded to Asheville, North Carolina in 2016 and Denver, Colorado in 2018 and is now the 4th largest craft brewery in the U.S. Dedicated to proving that business can be a force for good, New Belgium is a Certified B Corp and was the first brewery to join 1% for the Planet. The brewery has donated over $26 million to charitable causes since 1991. New Belgium is famous for its flagship beer, Fat Tire Amber Ale, along with year-round favorites like Voodoo Ranger IPA, Mural Agua Fresca Cerveza, and La Folie Sour Brown Ale; as well as an award-winning wood-aged sour program and innovative limited release beers. To learn more about the full product lineup and New Belgium’s Human Powered Business model, visit NewBelgium.com

-###-

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

So, will the Haze Bros be singing:
    We’re gonna party like it's nineteen eighty-five!:flushed:

Cheers!

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (457) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I for sure thought you would comment on the suggested retail price.

Schempy likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, I do appreciate the format (six-pack/12 ounce). So you motivated me to say that!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (797) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I dont get it. There was no hazy IPA back then. That can is really bad looking as well. I dont understand the voodoo IPA line. Not had one I like yet and im done trying.

Enjoy

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,002) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

7. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (254) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Great. Yet another hazy IPA.

8. BSRicky

BSRicky Initiate (27) Jul 4, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

How much haze can a hazebro bro if its not even in 16 oz cans?

9. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (299) Nov 3, 2005 California

Hate to hop off the Hate Train, all the beers from the Voodoo Ranger series have been very good (and fresh) beers at decent price points. I've seen them consistently at $8.99 and the 19.2s are like $3.29, so I'll give this a go when I see it.

10. Skeeter17

Skeeter17 Aspirant (235) Dec 13, 2016 Washington
    Society Trader

Does it even count as haze if it’s not in a 16 oz can?

11. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (115) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Maybe I’m kind of dumb here, but any time a beer is named after a year, I always expect it to be a historical recreation of a beer from that year. Then I just get kind of confused and let down once I see what it really is.

12. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,758) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

God whatever happened to New Belgium..should be New New England

13. Reidrover

Society

Yeah i reckoned something like Bridgeport IPA..sadly RIP

14. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,142) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Most of the Hazebruhs weren't even born in 1985, they'll just think that that's what beer was like back then.

eppCOS, Bitterbill, Roguer and 4 others like this.
  15. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (394) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

well my comment has been made several times, but what about this beer says 1985? A style that developed after 2010? This is odd marketing to me.

I realize the appropriate response to this is "OK Boomer..."

16. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (55) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t understand the name either, but I’ve been very impressed with New Belgium’s hazy IPAs. I’m sure they’re not up to the level of hyper-local competitors like Tree House, Trillium, or Hop Butcher in the style, but their Hazys are very good considering the price point and availability.

17. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,052) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yep. They're pushing buttons on every machine, and they all seem empty. 1985=Voodoo Economics IPA.

18. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Seems like a beer that will get lost in the crowd. I think breweries need to step out of the box rather than toss on the pile more of the same. Also I agree with the above, I thought 1985 was a throwback beer and was excited for it then the, oh another hazy IPA.

19. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,793) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

I was hoping for an 1885 throwback IPA. Now that is a beer I would purchase.

20. jmsmith

jmsmith Initiate (86) Dec 29, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Piling on..

Agreed, I dont get the 1985 reference and, while the price point is good, the beers themselves aren't something I'd pick up having tried the others in the series.

Bitterbill and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  21. rgordon

Yeah, the more I think about it the mid 80s pretty much sucked. My son brewed a 19th century brew from a Pattinson recipe and it was wonderful. I'll try to find the name.

22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Damn I miss that beer.

Reidrover and eppCOS like this.
  23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Were we all hazy back in the mid 80s?
    I can't remember.

24. Reidrover

Society

I never wore anything neon or wore those silly slitted glasses

Peach63 and Bitterbill like this.
  25. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

[​IMG]

eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Society

Did you ever wear a cool hat!:stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]

Spikester and Bitterbill like this.
  27. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (796) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think all everyone needs to know about this beer is that New Belgium has prominently displayed the best by date on the label.

28. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (211) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I’m just as confused now as I was back when I first saw them roll it out. Horrible, horrible misstep on their part. I really miss their old marketing. I’d probably buy them more if they hadn’t scrapped it.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,250) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I will certainly be on the lookout for this one. 1985 was the year I graduated from high school.

30. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (638) Mar 28, 2009 California

I think very good is a bit strong, personally. I think they have been pretty good. I’ve never had a repurchase Of the rotating options but never been disappointed. The price and freshness has been on point though. Cheers.

Bitterbill likes this.
  31. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

While I agree with you in missing their old style and line up, anecdotally this lone seems to turn over really well at all the stores around me

32. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I saw a single of this the other day but ended up putting it back...just wasn't in the mood at the time. But I will probably try at some point and agree with some others, for the price point the series has been pretty good.

And this is another one of their IPAs that is brewed with spice. Anyone know what the spice may be? I never see it listed on the ingredients and I never pick up too much spice in the taste.

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,843) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I came home one day and there was a six pack of Voodoo, think it was the double IPA, that my son had purchased. It ended up in the trash because it was bad, even he wouldn't drink it (was in date code). Since then I have shied away from them, but seems everyone is showing them love, and those I have had at bars have been pretty good. I hate it when I get ahold of a mishandled beer and it puts a bad taste in my mouth. I will buy this if I see it, just because I have mad love for New Belgium and I haven't dropped any money their way in a while

Bitterbill likes this.
  34. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (445) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I like this series they've put out. Looking forward to this one. Their DIPA was very tasty.

35. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,843) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

website doesn't mention spice but have the following mentioned:
    So might be fruit added

Bitterbill and ESHBG like this.
  36. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,261) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Well, at the very least @scream will have a new Voodoo Ranger "era" variant to try! :wink:
    This one's for you, man!

37. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Mango Spice? A new member of the Spice Girls? :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah that may be it and if you look at some of their IPA bottles/cans it mentions spice(s) so I was always curious.

Bitterbill and donspublic like this.
  38. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (634) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

The beer might be fine, but seems like another cookie-cutter hazy IPA. I won't turn it down if it lands in front of me, but I'm not going out of my way.

Also, the only thing 80's about this beer is the Voodoo Ranger looks like Vic Rattlehead's dorky brother.

[​IMG]

"Peace Sells...But Who's Buying" released September 1986.

39. rgordon

This all is like mango space voodoo ranger magic at least. And where is the guy from Trooper?

Bitterbill and ESHBG like this.
  40. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (765) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Well there was no Chuck Berry until Marty McFly, so... :wink:

Bitterbill and HouseofWortship like this.