News New Belgium Voted ‘Best Places To Work’ By Outside Magazine

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,172) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

2. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (205) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,634) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

4. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (152) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

Talking to staff at NB here, they quite often mention that they are one of the owners of the brewery.

Talking to employees of Sierra Nevada, it appears that virtually no one leaves their job there either, and many of them have been there since the Mills River site opened.

5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (273) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Maybe this isn't the right place for it, but since we're on the topic I'd like to say Tröegs in Hershey, PA is a great place to work. I worked their for a little while as a PT employee (this was my "fun" job) and I felt that they treated their workers very well. I think they deserve recognition for this, which is why I am adding it to this post.

6. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (152) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

I live where we have the most breweries per capita in the country. We see people move from brewery to brewery, frequently, or after working at a number of breweries from big to little open their own brewery. There are also those that move on to much larger breweries, be it SN, OB or NB, all local, or on to breweries such as Guinness.
    People have to pay bills, and new opportunities present themselves. I know people that have gone from cellarman to assistant brewer, then left to work for a beer distributor. Normal hours and $$$ as the rational. Others now working for one of the big 3 in the area.

#6 Miles_in_beer_city, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (110) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Very impressed with NB. They refunded my neighbor quickly after i made him call and complain about their juicy watermelon.

8. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (247) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Sales are down. Don't be too satisfied with free beer over actual wage increases. Brewery jobs are generally trash. Prove me otherwise.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,549) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

The thousands of folks paying mortgages, car loans, rent, school, and everything we all have to pay from their brewery jobs prove you wrong daily. Accountants. Graphic designers. Event staff. And, yes, even brewers and cellarmen support their families in a manner they're comfortable with, by having brewery jobs.

10. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (571) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Pssh, prove yourself.

bmugan, IPAExpert69 and elohim like this.
  11. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,300) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Premium

That's not how the burden of proof works.

On topic, I've toured the Asheville NB and am friends with several employees there. It does seem like a pretty great place to work.

rgordon and beertunes like this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (836) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You know he works in a brewery, right?

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  13. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,300) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Premium

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Reema, EvenMoreJesus and beertunes like this.
  14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Although you are certainly correct, a VERY small percentage of people employed by breweries make a decent living wage. That's not even up for discussion.

15. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (161) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Allagash deserves some recognition for making the list too right?

Reema likes this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,172) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

17. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (477) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I'm wondering if those figures have changed especially since the trend these days seems to be smaller breweries that strictly do on-premises sales or a combination of on-premises and self-distribution. Not to mention breweries that sell out of their weekly or bi-weekly haze releases have found the right formula for printing money.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

If anything, the proliferation of smaller breweries has probably decreased the average salaries of brewery employees. That said, I don't have any hard numbers to back that up, just anecdotal evidence. Anyone?

19. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (242) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Love their Abbey Dubbel....can't beat it at $9 a sixer. That one has become a regular in-stock brew of mine. Need to find myself some of their Oakspire to try.

Other than that, I applaud all the workers making $20K per year. God bless 'em.

Bitterbill likes this.