New Bottle Shop suggestions round 2

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by msigona85, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msigona85

msigona85 Initiate (134) Jun 16, 2008 New York

I'm doing some more market research for a bottle shop in cny. NYS liquor authority requires 50% of my floor space to be dedicated to food items. I won't be able to compete with the prices of the local supermarkets, so I plan to carry hard to find/specialty foods. Also foods that pair well with beer and locally sourced options. Does anyone have a hard time finding certain ingredients or really enjoy certain snacks with there beer?

kemoarps likes this.
  2. beerdedking

beerdedking Crusader (737) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I don't understand, I've been in NY liquor stores with a total of zero food choices...some weird statute concerning beer only?

3. msigona85

Liquor stores in NY can only sell wine and liquor. If you want to sell beer for off premises consumption and are not a restaurant, nys requires 50% of your floor space to have food items. I spoke with the liquor authority and asked about some local places that don't sell any food items(not naming anyone in the process) and just have beer. She told me that they were operating illegally and asked if I would like to submit a formal complaint. Of course I didn't.

4. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I'd go with extremely expensive non-perishable stuff. Caviar, White and black Truffel, That kind of stuff that you can't get at a supermarket, the turnover will be low and the profits high.

5. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Be sure to get sauces and food made by breweries. For example - Yuengling makes bbq sauces and Dogfish Head (I think it is) has pickles.

jucifer1818 likes this.
  6. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

fancy cheese, chocolates, deserts, sauces, jared hummus, crackers, and candies are all good options. Its what ABC does down here in Florida. It might be hard to get HALF of the store to hold all that stuff however.........but it has potential. depends on store size really.

7. Mulder531

Mulder531 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Massachusetts

whats the difference between a liquor store and a bottle shop?

8. msigona85

In ny beer cannot be sold at the same location as wine/liquor

9. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Aspirant (205) Aug 12, 2008 California

Bottle shops carry the high-end craft brews and wines, etc.

10. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Aspirant (205) Aug 12, 2008 California

How come?

11. xensure

xensure Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Massachusetts

If you are looking to stick with the Craft idea I think the following foods/items have really interesting cultures unto-themselves that are similar to the Craft Beer Culture.

Cheeses,
    Olive Oils,
    Balsamic Vinegars,
    Coffee Beans,
    Chocolates,
    Real Maple Syrups,
    BBQ Sauces,
    Marinades,
    Ice Creams,
    Spices,
    Flours.

I am not sure if it counts as a food, but some home brewing supplies might also sell well. Different types of malts as well as maybe some fresh whole flower hops. Yeast and spices to brew with as well. Not so much the buckets and other equipment.

I would also recommend form a personal level to include craft ciders in to your bottle selection. I think this is the next emerging market in the alcohol culture. Check out Virtue Cider as a great example of the interesting things coming out of the that growing industry.

12. Mulder531

Mulder531 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Massachusetts

thanks... and i thought Massachusetts laws archaic.

13. msigona85

Hey, at least we get happy hour

Mulder531 likes this.
  14. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Zealot (538) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Archaic laws.

15. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

I like the idea of coffee beans. I personally don't drink much coffee but I know a lot of the BA's are into quality coffee to.

16. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

See if you can get the sauces Founders Brewing makes as well as Blis maple syrup, which is where Founders gets their maple syrup Bourbon barrels.

17. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,570) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

What would be the difference between what you do and beer distributor that sells beer and soda? A bit confused there, as easily 75% of their space is for beer.

In any event, with that much space devoted to specialty food you really need some product turns to keep the lights on.

18. msigona85

Beer distributors can't sell to the public. I'm simply asking what foods would you be interested in. I don't need help with a business model

19. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Apparently you do, or you wouldn't be here asking for our help.

Does 50% of your floor space or your sales need to be dedicated to food? Because if the former, and you don't really care about whether or not you actually sell the food, I'd make it very large, very easy to mave around packages of crap. I'm thinking 30lb bags of pork rinds.

Ozzylizard, Rusel_G and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  20. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

This. Or go big and just get a pallet with one giant bag.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I disagree with most people here.

Don't get your cash flow tied up in food products you may or may not be able to sell.
    Get a popcorn popper and offer bags of fresh popped pop corn. After getting the machine, your costs are negligible and, if you do it right it will take up a bunch of floor space. When you are popping it there, the aroma makes it a must buy.
    Get a couple of big racks of chips.
    And a table of some nuts.
    Take up that 50% without laying out a lot of money

utopiajane likes this.
  22. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

OR:

Can you sublet out 50% to a food seller.

23. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,030) Oct 24, 2009 California

Interesting... in CA, I've seen it done both ways:

Like a liquor store/7-11/gas station - chips, nuts, ice cream sandwiches, candy, gum, etc.
    Like a provisions store - high quality, local, rarer, artisan-style products like cheeses, oils, vinegars, deli meat, sauces, baked goods

So it prob depends on the market you'd want to reach. I'm speculating, with craft beer drinkers in general, you're able to reach them with either style/approach. Though the latter would most likely be higher maintenance.

24. waratdenison

waratdenison Initiate (80) Sep 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

To do this you first need to know the make up of the neighborhood you are entering, age, income, sex, employment, etc. Once you know this you can venture into their purchasing habits, i.e. are they 24 pack mass produced, 6 pack craft, expensive bombers, or collectors, how many are strictly beer drinkers, do you need other liquor items, how often do they purchase, how far do your customers travel. You can tailor food items too, will people buying beer only buy foods or will your store be a convince stop for quick needs. This raises the question as to what the competition is in your local? Where are supermarkets, convince stores, bodegas. Your description would suggest cheeses both dips and hard, high end meats, and other gourmet snacks. Your problem will be having enough groceries for 50% of the store space. Know your customers and their , everyone has a vision as to what they want but you need to know the market and what the market will hold.

Rollzroyce21 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,485) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

He's probably talking about a "C" license - somewaht common in the NYC metro area, and I've seen them scattered around the rest of the state, as well. From the faq of the NYS Liquor Authority:
    Because ---- it's the law?

#25 jesskidden, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  26. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (254) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

I've been to quite a few beer stores in NYS... are you sure you're not just reading the law incorrectly? The only stores I've ever purchased beer at that have had 50% (or more) floor space of food were delis and gas stations...

27. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky

This might sound unorthodox or even counterintuitive, but consider the fee/penalty and whether it's worth paying if someone files a complaint against you for not carrying food. It might actually be cheaper than stocking perishable items that may not generate revenue, not to mention you might even get away with it like that "unnamed place." This seems to be what your competition is doing.

28. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

Put in a hot dog roller. Slam down some gianelli hot Italian...BOOM, your a restaurant. PA has similar laws concerning club licenses. That is why you can get a hot dog at every Vets, Legion, Elks etc club in the Commonwealth.

#28 Uniobrew31, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  29. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

If you've the time and a bit of spare cash for travel, you might want to visit a few of the bottle shops in Philly that are in or near neighborhoods that have a demographic similar to the one you expect to have. While the law does not require that 50% of the floor space be devoted to packaged food, it does require that to have a bottle shop business you must actually be running an "eatery" so that you can be effectively something like a deli style place that sells beer and food for on premises consumption and are also allowed to sell bottles and growlers for take out. Some of those places have packaged food items available for take out as well, so you'd have a chance to actually see an operation similar to what you are planning in terms of display, sales, etc.

If you do make a visit, avoid the bottle shops connected with grocery stores since they confine themselves to food preparation and beer sales.

30. IAmJacksHopTongue

IAmJacksHopTongue Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Indiana

I'm stealing most of these ideas from my favorite bottle shop (Vine and Brew in Okemos, MI) which sells craft beer, wine, and artisan food.

Quality jerky or meat sticks
    Artisan chips and snack foods
    Sauces and marinades
    Chocolate and candy

Importantly, many of the food items are local, and the rest are really high-quality artisan items.

31. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (254) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

I think this is the most important part - especially if you're putting the emphasis on craft beer.

32. LODGE4

LODGE4 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 Florida

I live in New York and I've never seen a liquor store sell beer - I didn't know they weren't allowed to. Just thought why bother with all the delis and beer outlets around. Delis sell beer but mostly imports and the regular swill.There are beverage distributor places that sell mostly beer - hundreds of craft beers to choose from as well as the regular swill. Here is where I go -
    http://www.syossetbeverage.com/home
    This place is great too -
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-R-Beverage/111849628838829

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.