New Breweries/bars HOUTX

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by LadyOfMuchBeer, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

I live just far enough outside of Houston that I am just beyond the beer scene. I remember vaguely conversation about some new Houston breweries and possibly a brewpub. Anyone have any recent news on this? Are there any new local establishments worth supporting?

2. bshaf

bshaf Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Texas

not really.. city acre still isn't open and neither is 8th wonder

3. wolffman17

wolffman17 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2005 Texas

None have opened yet, but here's some of the latest info:

Fort Bend Brewing: (newsletter) http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs048/1110408783718/archive/1110816140053.html

8th Wonder Brewery: (old but good article) http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/06/first_look_at_8th_wonder_brewe.php

City Acre: (newsletter) http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=22c164892811ea8d8c7658053&id=c9933b5274

Moon Tower Inn: The only info they put out there is via Facebook updates. Sounds like they're getting closer (but it's sounded like that for months).

The Brewery Incubator: (mission via Facebook) "To create the world's first brewery incubator, created to foster the development and launch of craft breweries by providing a pilot facility, support network and audience accessible to all aspiring brewers."

Also be on the lookout for Cottonwood to open in Garden Oaks soon. Not a brewery or brewpub, but I anticipate this to be one the best beer spots in town. Daniel (Dajtai007) is the chef and beer guy.

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  4. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

The Brewery Incubator sounds pretty neat. We have something like that here in SATX (Bake, Broil, & Brew), and I think it's a great concept.

5. Show

Show Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Texas

a place in Galveston will be brewing very soon...

6. icetrauma

icetrauma Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Care to divulge anymore or is this top secret? Unless Brews Bro's will start brewing there own stuff.

7. DonD

DonD Zealot (555) Jun 23, 2008 Texas

I assume it's this one. The owner of Yaga's is opening it.

http://galvestondailynews.com/blog/9022

8. icetrauma

I like the concept. Looks like Brews Bro's will have formidable challenger.

9. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

nevermind.

10. DonD

DonD Zealot (555) Jun 23, 2008 Texas

Fotunately, Brews Brothers is finally getting their kitchen started. So the brewing shouldn't be too far behind.

11. jbeezification

jbeezification Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Texas

I'm pretty sure its open. I cant't say for sure because I haven't gone to the island in a few weeks, but it should be open by now.

12. bleeng

bleeng Zealot (534) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Trader

13. TexasJeep

TexasJeep Aspirant (247) Sep 11, 2007 Texas
    Trader

14. Azzy

Azzy Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2012 Texas

http://www.cyclersbrewing.com/

There was one that I heard of in the Heights that can't come to mind. Not Buffalo Bayou..

Also, 8th Wonder should be running up in the next few months. They were set to start brewing this month but 2 weeks to launch they found out there was no gas pipes.. The city just used a survey for the building they were on from the 40s and I think construction in the 60s took the pipe outs. They didn't catch this until it was close to brewing time, now their waiting on the city pretty much to get them set up.

I took a class with Aaron Corsi, the head brewer a while back. Made some beer at UH, went to the brewery a few times and even helped a bit with their pilot system. Really down to earth guys, I hope to see great thing from them soon. I know their pretty busy with Eatsie Boys and Aaron teaching and trying to get his PHD but I expect great things from these guys.

15. soultrain19

soultrain19 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2008 Texas

16. duff247

duff247 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Texas

The beerfoot beach bar is Yagas ploy at bullying Brews Brothers. From what I have heard the owner opened it purely because he had money to do so and wanted to take money away from them (or so I have heard). Looks like Brews Brothers will have the better tap list and Justin always seems to have connections and gets amazing kegs that some places in Houston have trouble getting. Doesn't hurt having another craft bar here but until I see something out of the ordinary, Brews is the way to go.

DonD and JohnBender like this.
  17. jbeezification

jbeezification Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Texas

This is true to a degree, Mike (Yagas owner) is kind of a douche, but hes also just capitalizing on what Justin (Brews Brothers) started last year and trying to milk the craft beer scene. I don't think any real craft beer lover is going to take Beerfoot seriously and I can promise you they will have BMC on tap soon, their location will dictate this and people will go in there asking for bud light enough that they will offer it. Any bar that has blue moon and shiner pale ale on tap is one angry customer away from having bud light.

Justin is the man however.

18. atpben

atpben Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Texas

Anybody tried the West End Pub in Galleria yet?

19. icetrauma

Justin at Brews is great. He takes time out to chill with ya and converse about whatever. Besides, I like the atmosphere at Blues Bro's.

texasclimber and jbeezification like this.
  20. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Texas

For the love of god dont go there.

Daniel and some others will vouch for this as well. Went the 1st week, atmosphere is crappy, music is too loud and dunno why they were blasting trance music that night. Mojito that was made for me was so crappy I had to send it back (and ive only sent back 2 or 3 drinks in my life). Margarita they made instead was even worse but I didnt want to send it back so I struggled to drink it down (they served me a margarita in a pint glass, and it was full all the way up to the top.... thats when you know your bar is shitty). All of their taps were decent, but the prices varied based on ABV, not on quality. Pecan Porter was $6 or $7 IIRC.

Overall, dont waste your time or money here. Hands down the worst bar ive been to inside the loop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.