New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_TheBeerDrifter

James_TheBeerDrifter Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Colorado

yeah....hmmm...big mystery :wink:

28 breweries due to open within 5 months. That's more than one brewery per week.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,775) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

:grimacing:
    How the hell does that happen?
    Edit:
    Open letter to new brewers,
    Get your shit together with GU:BU ratios!

LoganStegman likes this.
  3. James_TheBeerDrifter

Just got an update from 38 State Brewery. Looks like they're on track for January, 2014 now.

4. mkorpal

mkorpal Initiate (184) Oct 28, 2007 Colorado

If you'd like, I'll give you an update on 1933 Brewing Company. Looking more like November right now. Oh well!

5. SuperWhite92

SuperWhite92 Initiate (134) Dec 21, 2005 Colorado

Barrels and Bottles (Golden) Now have all licenses and permits in hand, construction underway (for several weeks already), and should start brewing this weekend.

coreymcafee likes this.
  6. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,898) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Mockery Brewing just signed on a location. From their facebook page:

"It is finally July 31st and as promised we can release our next big announcement!!! We closed on Mockery Brewing's property today located at:
    3501 Delgany St.
    Denver CO 80126
    Neighbors include The Source (Crooked Stave's new home), TAXI, Epic Brewing, and many more."

7. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (91) Aug 15, 2008 California

If I was a new brewery, I'd want to be open by now in order to work out at least some of the kinks before GABF. That's gotta be a horrible time to open unless you really have your shit together.

drumrboy22 and dauss like this.
  8. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (415) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

on the other side of the river though, from Taxi and The Source, or am I mistaken? Either way, the south side of the river in RiNo is filling up with breweries, isn't it?

9. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

About 1 block from Source, same side of the crick, er...river. Gonna be Beer Pan Alley in that part of town :sunglasses:

10. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

itll be on the same side of the river as the source, just about a block away. taxi is actually across the river but there will eventually be a park down there w/ a bridge to taxi.

pretty stoked, theres a bike lane all the way down mlk from park hill. the ride back up the hill might not be awesome.... lol.

11. James_TheBeerDrifter

Yes, I'd love to hear more about how your brewery is progressing. If you'd like to PM me here or on my facebook page I'll be sure to post all the info on my blog/twitter/etc.

12. southdenverhoo

ahhh--I thought the Source was next to Taxi and both were on the "other side" (from me) of the Platte. Now I understand...and there really ARE gonna be a shit ton of breweries on this side of the river, just in what you'd call RiNo. Mountain Monk at 2811 Walnut seems like they're way past the bullshitting stage too. So, 6 breweries unless I forgot somebody--Epic, Crooked Stave, River North, Black Shirt, Our Mutual Friend, and Mountain Monk, not that Great Divide or Jagged Mountain or Sandlot or Rock Bottom or Chop House or Prost are all that far away, just not properly "RiNo"...and I'm only listing places that are either operating or have signed leases and bought equipment.

13. James_TheBeerDrifter

Just visited the Crystal Springs Brewery up in Boulder yesterday (beautiful location, BTW) and the owner still hopes to open a taproom in Lafayette this year but nothing is etched in stone. Meanwhile, if you use their contact page on their website you may be able to arrange a private tasting (which I highly recommend).

14. James_TheBeerDrifter

Also...does anyone here have info on where/how to taste Former Future, X-Mormon Ale Works or Demon Spawn? Are they just doing festivals?

15. southdenverhoo

I think you have to wait for them to open...the cancellation of the "breweries in planning" part of the South Denver Beer Fest in April made that clear, I thought.

http://mountain.hoppress.com/2013/04/29/6543/

Whether a correct interpretation of the law by the state or not, I doubt anybody wants to take on the state before they're even open, you know?

Now if you knew the principals you might be invited to taste a homebrew or three on which their commercial output will be based...especially if you have a beer blog and appear to be pretty aggressive in promoting it, like somebody not a million miles away from where you're sitting! [​IMG]

16. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

Follow Former Future on Facebook for event tastings and such. They are hoping to Open by October. Their building in under construction as we speak.

17. James_TheBeerDrifter

thanks for the info -- that's too bad about the unclear law preventing these guys from getting the word out.

18. dauss

dauss Zealot (597) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Brewery

I think the law is extremely clear. Homebrew cannot be sold. People paid for tickets for the beer fest, and if there was home brew being poured, you could say that the ticket purchaser bought homebrew.

19. James_TheBeerDrifter

Not to be argumentative, but if the law was extremely clear I don't think there'd be an entire tent devoted to upcoming breweries until a week before the event.

alexipa likes this.
  20. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

It's one thing for a law to be clear, which to me this one is (as clear as legal language goes), and another to try to skirt around it, even if that skirting isn't malicious. When in doubt, go with what is written, not what is said.

21. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,692) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Former Future held 2 private tasting events back in early Spring at the Oxford Hotel. They were trying out recipes that they were planning using for tasting room. At the time everything was brewed at OMF and they avoided dealing with liquor laws by simply making it a private party with free beers.

22. Prospero

Prospero Savant (983) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

And that's really the key is making sure it's a) invite only private party and b) not for sale.

23. dauss

Brewery

"It's a gray area" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement and it looks like they decided to go forward with it anyways until the state said no. Looking at other homebrew related events, like the competition at the Colorado State Fair, they're obviously operating within the law, but for the South Denver Beer Fest's Brewery in Planning tent, they tried to test the limits and now we know where they are.

In other news, I heard Diebolt Brewing had a soft open yesterday.

24. James_TheBeerDrifter

It'll be interesting to see people's reactions to Diebolt as their emphasis is on smoothness and drinkability, qualities that have seen much discussion here as of late (i.e Blue Moon brewery thread).

25. Domingo

Society

As long as the beer is of high quality, I don't really care about the themes for most breweries. That usually just boils down to decor and what music they're playing. There are exceptions like Hogshead and Prost, though.
    As of today, I think we have a fair number of breweries producing stuff I'd consider to be pretty drinkable in terms of low ABV but still ensuring something is flavorful. Most major areas of town have at least one. The real issue comes in areas that already have one or more. There better be a reason to make me come back if you already have a few neighbors making good stuff. That's one of those situations where normal beers (even good ones) might not cut it.

26. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

Looks like Comrade Brewing just signed a lease at Iliff and Quebec (roughly)

27. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (271) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

That will make the rip over to Copper Kettle a little better with having another brewery to visit in the area.

28. Domingo

Society

Not to sound like a shill, but the Bull & Bush is right there, too.

29. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (271) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I like to go there also but usually spend more time there with the option to eat so I don't think of it as a quick stop and get a taster or two of something.

30. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

Address: 7667 E. Iliff Ave Denver. Kinda by that Sonic
    Early 2014 opening

31. SiflandOlly

SiflandOlly Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Colorado

I went to Odd 13 yesterday and was pretty impressed. Cool space and the six beers were all at least good, while two were great in my opinion - the india red ale and session rye ipa.

32. guyforget

nice list, james, but the most useful part of it - in my humble opinion, has been omitted - their respective facebook/twitter links. i think that info would also make the crowd-sourcing of information here much easier and encourage people like me to keep up w/ their progress as well as notify you if you missed anything.

i try to keep a twitter list updated w/ all of the brewers in colorado. the list also includes retailers that are known in the colorado beer community, as well as beer bars like falling rock, star bar, freshcraft, etc. kind of a 1-stop-shop on twitter for colorado beer info. not too many folks besides myself know about it or use it, but i do find it really helpful in keeping up w/ beer in colorado.

https://twitter.com/guyforget/colorado-beer-12

scray24 likes this.
  33. James_TheBeerDrifter

good idea...I guess I have a project this week!

34. guyforget

35. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Poo-Bah (1,813) Aug 14, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Crow Hop *should* be opening in September in Loveland. They have a 7 bbl system with plans of bottling 22oz sometime after opening. Good location in downtown and more of the general American beer flare.

Those into cider might be interested in Blown Spoke, which is basically a side project of Big Beaver. Different company but pretty good ciders and worth a trip if you have the time.

36. Steve_0

Steve_0 Aspirant (203) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

That is a huge red flag for me.

37. SuperWhite92

SuperWhite92 Initiate (134) Dec 21, 2005 Colorado

Agreed. I think his main project needs work before he gets his ego into a new venture.

38. dauss

Brewery

Went to West Flanders yesterday, eww. Their Pale Ale was a butter bomb. They swapped it with the IPA, which had the aroma of cat piss.

39. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,117) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado

Their Angry Monk was ridiculously good, at least the first time I had it, and while I didn't find any of their other core beers terrible, I didn't find them that good. Their food is awesome though and the restaurant has a good atmosphere, just want it out there that they're not all bad. The people running the brewery give me the impression that even if everything they did sucked (it doesn't) they'd still become really good at what they do over time.
    I believe they are moving to a place East of Boulder eventually to become a farmhouse brewery/farm (their original plan), not sure on all the details, but I hope it works out for them and Boulder will miss them, they definitely have their place here.

40. James_TheBeerDrifter

I seem to recall the angry monk being good as well (we visited on their opening weekend) and they had a good selection of imported Belgian sours and lambics available as well. I have a hard time imagining anything there tasting like "piss".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.