New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

You do realize that certain hops have a "catty" aroma (I've heard Simcoe and Citra, but I'm no expert), and it is not at all uncommon in the danker, less fruity IPAs?

2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,692) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I'm definitely one of the people that can pick up on the cat box smell/flavor and yup, it's usually simcoe and occasionally citra, although much less often. There are some others, too. I never used to really be able to describe that note, but I think it's along the lines of ammonia.
    My guess is that it's like how some people don't get onions from summit and others don't mind diacetyl.

3. Domingo

Society

Interesting that there would be a brewery in Cedaredge. My wife spent a while over there and there isn't much around. It was tough even finding restaurants. Not sure if the Blossomwood Cidery is still open, but that used to be the only highlight of that little area.

4. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,117) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado

Hey James, you've ever been to a brewery in Eastern CO? I ask because I've only ever heard one thing about the East, they have sand dunes.

5. James_TheBeerDrifter

James_TheBeerDrifter Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Colorado

If you mean the one in Alamosa (near the Great Sand Dunes), then "yes". It's called San Luis Valley Brewery. I was really surprised how good their beer was (the town is really bleak, though). If you like green chili beer theirs is one of the best in the state, and they had a kiwi beer that was shockingly tasty (if you don't mind fruit beers). Their amber was awesome, too. As for the brewery itself, it was a fairly typical brewpub environment, but it was kinda cool that it's located in an old turn of the century bank so there's still a massive vault door behind the bar.

MarkyMOD likes this.
  6. MarkyMOD

Awesome will have to check that out when I go to the dunes. Was just wondering how many breweries are out east, San Luis is the first one I've heard of.

7. mkorpal

mkorpal Initiate (184) Oct 28, 2007 Colorado

That isn't East. It's technically further west than Denver.

As for eastern plains breweries, the best I can think of are the Greeley breweries.

8. MarkyMOD

Eh, I mean east-east, like boonies east, not Greeley, didn't know the dunes were that close west-wise.

9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,898) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

10. scray24

scray24 Initiate (188) Mar 12, 2008 Colorado

Found that pretty interesting too... sounds like they're going to do the brewhaus in Cedaredge with a tap house/tasting room in Delta. Also sounds like (from the FB page) that they are an "artisanal nano-brewery" that will focus on belgian beers. Not exactly what I'd think would be popular in that "red" neck of the woods but good luck to 'em.

Disclaimer: I'm from there so am comfortable labeling it with the redneck moniker - no offense intended to anyone else in the region. :grimacing:

11. mkorpal

mkorpal Initiate (184) Oct 28, 2007 Colorado

Yep, couldn't find any other breweries east of Greeley. You need to go half way into Kansas to find one. Odd I guess.

12. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

Not really. I mean, what's between front range-ish and Hays anyway...like 4million cows, lots of wheat and, like, 12 people. :wink: Although Liquid Bread has some good brews.

13. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

14. Prospero

Prospero Savant (983) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

So what does that put Denver up to now, something like 35 in Denver 'proper' once all these open?

15. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (415) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Jonathan Shikes is the man, but no way several of those breweries OPEN before GABF...unless I'm sorely misinformed about the degree of their progress. I expect it to be more like 7-8, not that that is anything to sneeze at.

For example, this is a facebook post from one of the listed breweries YESTERDAY:

Every day... A little more progress. Today's giant leap for beerkind included filing all required documents with the TTB. It'll be no time until we are slingin' pints in your general direction.

IF, and it's a big if, they get TTB approval within 45 days from yesterday, that would be October 5, 7 days before GABF.

That's just one I have been following (because I think they are going to be GREAT) but I have a feeling several of the others are in the same boat or even not so far along.

16. Prospero

Trader

17. James_TheBeerDrifter

Just received this note from 38 State Brewing:

38 State has some big news that I wanted to share with you.

It's official! 38 State Brewing Company has found a new home in Littleton, CO. Our brewery will be located at South Broadway and County Line Rd (just off of C-470). We're anticipating a January 2014 opening, and can't think of a better way to ring in the New Year. We are proud to bring our product to the residents of South Littleton and look forward to making our brewery/taproom a truly memorable experience for anyone looking to treat themselves to delicious hand-crafted beers. Here's to the dream...Cheers!

18. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

Mu Brewing is supposedly opening in Aurora in late September or early October, but I wouldn't be too confident in those dates given the construction progress I've seen from peeking in there. In any event, should be open sometime later this year. The location is somewhat, umm, interesting in the Arts District on Colfax, so I'm curious to see what kind of traffic it draws.

19. Domingo

Society

Very, very interesting. My guess is that they're shooting for the hospital crowd. Several of those bars near there draw a pretty large and loyal crowd. That's not too far from me, so I'll definitely have to swing by.

20. Prospero

Trader

From "The Source" page on Facebook, it looks like Crooked Stave is slated to open Sept. 9-13 (tentative)

Possibly the new location for the next Cellar Reserve release? Or do you think they'd save the trouble of moving all those bottles and just do it at the barrel room?

21. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (271) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

They said they were still up in the air on the Cellar Reserve release. The date does match with holding Zwanze Day at The Source location

22. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2005 Colorado

ssteigerwald and MarkyMOD like this.
  23. MarkyMOD

24. drumrboy22

Oxymoron likes this.
  25. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (214) May 31, 2011 Colorado

The coffee stout at Gravity is really, really good. It's the best coffee beer I've had all year (not that I've had that many, but I like it a lot better than the stone coffee stout, or the boulevard coffee ale). And I think that the dry-hopped cream ale is my favorite of theirs. I agree, they've gotten a ton better.

alexipa likes this.
  26. Prospero

Trader

27. James_TheBeerDrifter

Does anyone here know about a brewery at 108th and Old Wads, (across from the Frightmare Haunted House) called ‘Westminster Brewing Company’? I just got a message on my blog that there's a sign up there for them coming soon.

28. James_TheBeerDrifter

westminsterbrewingco.com

Should be open this fall.

29. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (555) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Hit some new ones Saturday. Thought Front Range was solid, dunno if I'll venture to 12 Degrees again (very mediocre and expensive for what they were), Bru was very good, and though I'd been there before, Kettle and Stone and Bootstrap were good. I'll definitely hit Kettle and Stone again.

30. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Disciple (355) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

This weekend hit Revolution, Smugglers, Telluride, Colorado Boy, Amicas, Moonlight, Eddyline, Backcountry, Yak & Yeti, and City Star! Need some rest! (6 I hadn't been to)

FishPondManager and denver10 like this.
  31. dauss

dauss Zealot (597) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Brewery

Per Barrels and Bottles Facebook page:

32. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Defender (605) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

guyforget and tacosandbeer like this.
  33. Prospero

Trader

34. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (826) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Any news on when Black Sky is opening? Facebook is vague, but maybe this weekend.

35. drumrboy22

Heard they're shooting for Friday.

36. drumrboy22

Saw on Facebook today that they're now hoping for Wednesday.

37. drumrboy22

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  38. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,938) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Jasonrm72 and ssteigerwald like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.