New Colorado Breweries

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by caboose9, Feb 25, 2012.

1. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,075) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Seems like staying in the less competitive Grand Lake area would have suited them better. Not sure I see their beers being able to compete and stand out against many of the stuff already being produced in the Denver area. I have had a couple of their beers and while I thought they were decent, their crappy bottle art ultimately left a stronger impression on me than did their beer.

I never want to see a persons dreams and/or livelihood crushed, so I definitely do hope things can work out for them though.

2. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Well if they retain the brewpub strategy it may best suit them. I actually had a fine experience there over Labor Day, food was good and their beer, while average, was good. Service was great as well and it was packed (probably due to holiday)

3. James_TheBeerDrifter

James_TheBeerDrifter Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Colorado

Also, Crystal Springs Brewery has at last opened their tasting room in Louisville. Tom Horst is a great guy (who makes good beer), so I recommend giving them a visit.

MarkyMOD likes this.
  4. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,136) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Haven't had much from them, but their BA beers (DRUM and PBA Black Saddle) are top-notch. Everyone should go and have a 10oz pour of DRUM for only $4.50 if you're in the area. Might've been my first rum BA beer, but I would have to say it's still my favorite. Just wish they'd have opened up in Boulder, this city could use another brewery (there's ~20 here, but seriously, we could, one brewery per block and then we're good).

alexipa likes this.
  5. mentor

mentor Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2003 Colorado

6. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Aspirant (251) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I just hope they don't play shitty music.

7. schlegelmeister

schlegelmeister Initiate (26) Oct 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Kinda strange you're not embracing a potentially great brewery with arms wide open.

8. ssteigerwald

Beer Trader

You're right, I feel bad now. I'm betting this place will take me higher.

9. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Nope, other than a terrible location, guess they're focusing on distribution. Odyssey's location is just as bad.

10. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

One really good way to try a lot of these different places popping up (without driving all over the state) is the Stapleton Tap House. It's right in the middle of the Northfield shopping area.
    They're saving me the trouble of going to some of these places while making me really eager to visit some others:
    http://stapletontaphouse.com/menu/tap-list/

beatenbyjacks, Prospero and MarkyMOD like this.
  11. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Meyvn (1,136) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Same goes for Colorado Plus, they're probably just more out of the way for most, being in Wheat Ridge.
    http://coloradoplus.net/about-us/beer-menu/

12. dauss

dauss Defender (653) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm waiting to embrace an actual great brewery.

13. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Looks like St. Patrick's is up and running off S. Santa Fe in the Englewood/Littleton area.
    http://stpatricksbrewco.com/home.html
    Not to make any quality comparisons, but it seems they're going the Jack's Abbey route of adventurous lagers, rather than the Prost route of strict authenticity.
    I think I saw that their bottles are in a few stores, too. Anybody try anything from them yet?

14. ssteigerwald

Beer Trader

I haven't tried them yet, but am intrigued. Not too far from work, might have to stop and get a couple bombers on Friday.

15. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,446) May 19, 2005 Colorado

Had some at GABF. Good stuff, easy drinking. Not strictly authentic, but solid. Had the dark lager, oktoberfest and something else

16. James_TheBeerDrifter

St. Patrick's is very good, IMO.

Wasn't too impressed with Grist in Highlands Ranch, however (they opened last Saturday). Jagged Mountain also opened this past weekend and it was OK despite a few oddities (their IPA was just plain bizarre and more akin to grapefruit juice than beer).

17. James_TheBeerDrifter

I actually prefer going all over the state to try new beers --- there's so much of Colorado I never would have seen had I not been motivated by beer. But yeah, Colorado Plus is a great way to taste stuff without all the travelling...gonna hafta check out Stapleton Tap House, too.

18. dauss

dauss Defender (653) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have a few samples at GABF. I remember them being not particularly good, not riddled with technical flaws and having good clarity.

Seems tough to make lagers on a small scale and then bottle. Seeing how the last packaging lager brewery went out of business, and then add the economics of a nanobrewery.....

19. denver10

Kinda curious to check some Saint Patricks out....the beer's read nice at the least, willing to see if they taste as nice. Particularly the Luminosity Lager.Anyone know where exactly I could find some?

#539 denver10, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Wish I still had the time and capability but I really can't do that much anymore. Stapleton is the best I can do with some of the N. Colorado and mountain area spots. It's no substitute for a visit, but at least I get to try some new stuff. Stapleton only carries beer from smaller upstarts, so it saves me the trouble of planning a 1/2 day trip to a place that might be a total dud. At the same time, there are a few spots I now know I need to hit up for sure.

21. mentor

mentor Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2003 Colorado

Domingo likes this.
  22. denver10

Gave Saint Patrick's a try. Bought a bottle of their lagered saison with vanilla and ginger and quite enjoyed it. It seems like an interesting operation.....no taps, everything is bottled. Even drinking there, they only offer 22 oz purchases. They do offer you to opportunity to split a 22 oz purchase in 2 which is kinda cool I suppose, though not sure I ultimately like the idea of that being the smallest pour. Also offer some free tasters.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  23. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (332) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

looks like Factotum hit a little snag. I kind of like their idea though, hope they find a more workable spot. (from their FB page it looks like they had already put an awful lot of effort and no small amount of $$$ into the 4735 Lipan space. A shame.)

They already have all licenses and equipment, too, if I understand correctly.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Colorado

Just saw a new brewery going up at 8th and Lincoln in Denver. The sign says it's called Lowdown. That's all I know about it at this point.

25. ssteigerwald

Beer Trader

TheSlipperyOne likes this.
  26. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Colorado

27. denver10

28. southdenverhoo

denver10, I think it's Harry at Black Sky, already open, who's making the Connecticut-style pizza...

29. denver10

Good to know about Black Sky....but the Westward article above mentioned Lowdown would be doing that too.

30. southdenverhoo

holy shit, F minus in reading comprehension for the ole 'hoo. Sorry!

denver10 and ssteigerwald like this.
  31. Graviz

Graviz Aspirant (262) Feb 26, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

<Minor thread hijack>
    Scope: Taking the day off to take a buddy up to Ft Collins for his bday today for beers. Rough day right?
    Timeline: Leaving Parker today at 10:00
    Needs: Recommendation for any new brewery that has some good BA beers or really any place that has something limited on tap (BA or sour)
    </Minor thread hijack>

32. Beaver13

Beaver13 Poo-Bah (2,360) Nov 9, 2003 Colorado

For limited taps, I'd hit Choice City or Tap and Handle (right across the street). For breweries with BA or sour, you could try Black Bottle or maybe Funkwerks.

Graviz likes this.
  33. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

You might try Grimm Brothers on your way up. The last few times I've been there they've had nearly a dozen taps and some rarities and BA beers among them.
    New Belgium almost always has at least 2 sours on their Lips of Faith wall.
    Funkwerks might, too.

Oxymoron and Graviz like this.
  34. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Crusader (741) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

O'Dell always has beers that are taproom only.

35. denver10

Anyone keeping up with St. Patricks Brewing? Really enjoyed the one beer I tried from them and if they can continue to fine tune their beers, I think they will have a really nice thing going. That and if they start to offer beers on site in portions less than 22 ounces.

(brought up because I randomly hit up their Facebook page and saw that they will be releasing an imperial oatmeal stout lager....and as a huge oatmeal stout fan, that has me very intrigued)

36. denver10

I know this is no longer timely, but Grimm Brothers have been putting out some amazing barrel aged beers. Their barrel aged wee heavy with some brett was by far my favorite thing those guys have put out (and I am a big Grimm Brothers fan) and their most recent barrel aged old ale with brett, Devil's Riddle, was also fantastic.They don't always have something barrel aged available in the taproom, but when they do its definitely worth a try. I think Grimm has one of the best barrel programs going in Colorado, albeit its small.

Oxymoron and Domingo like this.
  37. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

IMO, Grimm Brothers is one of the best breweries in the whole state. They fly under the radar a little because of where they're located, but I think they're as good as any of the more well known brewers. I've personally witnessed the Count opening some eyes and keeping up with (and surpassing many) of the best BA stouts in the country.
    They sent a little bit of Devil's Riddle to the Stapleton Taphouse for Halloween and it was great, too.

38. denver10

I agree with that.

I missed out on The Count, unfortunately. I think I remember seeing it on the local shelves, but at that time I was not yet familiar with Grimm Brothers.

39. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,446) May 19, 2005 Colorado

Comrade Brewing just got their tanks and Marks is just itching to brew. Hopefully in March

mentor, beatenbyjacks and dauss like this.
  40. Stapleton_Tap_House

Stapleton_Tap_House Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2014 Colorado

Just wanted to update the link for our Tap List - http://stapletontaphouse.com/tap-list/

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.