Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

New Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada IPA glass announced

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Tedwarhc, Jan 17, 2013.

1. stupac2

Beer Trader

No, but they haven't demonstrated the superiority of this design over a standard tulip or snifter. The thing about the ridges at the bottom is actively laughable. It's also sort of funny that they tout thin glass as helping maintain temperature, when the large surface-area/volume ratio works the other way (and I'm dubious about the thickness of the glass really mattering for temperature maintenance, given the relative volumes and heat capacities that we're talking about, and if it really matters you can just chill your glass). And, of course, those little laser-etched nucleation points do stuff, but it's not nearly as effective as they claim. The only time I've ever seen those things maintain head was with a super-overcarbonated beer.

The whole thing is just a giant pile of BS. If you want to make a glass that looks bizarre then do it. People like things that look bizarre. But don't pretend it's some state-of-the-art magic glass when it's not.

gigaknight likes this.
  2. WagonCircler

Beer Trader

This seems like a good place to put this: Anyone else DFH signature glass logos wash off? I have only hand washed them, just like the rest of my beer glasses, and both logos are gone. I dont care about the logo at all. Just wondering if this happens to all of their glasses.

3. CBlack85

Beer Trader

I have a couple of the DFH shaped pint glasses and within 6 months of carefully handwashing them the logos were almost completely gone...

4. Stinky-Dinkins

When did you buy yours? Do they have the little 12oz pour line on the sides of the glasses?

I use my DFH signature glass a good 3 times a week, and I handwash it every time (I've had it for about a year or so.) My logo still looks brand new.

I've read a bunch of people whose logos still look new, and a bunch whose logos have washed off completely even though they were treated carefully.

I'm thinking maybe a certain batch were more prone to it, or an early run before they switched glass manufacturers (which I've read happened at some point) or something.

5. tehzachatak

how, pray tell, would you be happy with them "demonstrating" the superiority of the design? they tested a bunch of styles, which, if you read the article closely, implies they probably were testing standard riedel styles, including the champagne flute that is very similar to this, and found empirically, in a taste test, that it was superior. then they modified it a little bit to fit their needs better - again, if you look at the glass, they shaped the upper bowl section a little more like a standard beer glass.

sure - i think it's silly that they talk about the waves on the bottom, and the nucleation point, etc., but the point remains, unless they're bald faced lying to us, they TASTE TESTED beer out of several glasses, and this one won. they didn't make the glass look like this because they wanted to make a weird glass, they made the glass look like this because it was a glass that more or less already existed, and it performed better than anything else they tried. if you believe what they wrote (again, i do), it performed significantly better.

i, for one, look forward to trying it.

6. stupac2

Beer Trader

They didn't do it blind (and yes, that can be done), therefore useless. Perceptions are largely in the brain, as hundreds of studies attest, and eyes can fool other senses. So, yes, they "tested" this glass, and it was the best because they wanted it to be the best, not because it's actually the best. And you can tell this because their rationalizations for it are lol-worthy.

fishtremble likes this.
  7. RPH2327

[​IMG]

This glass has always served me well.

8. TinCup69

I will pick up a couple of them.

9. Hanzo

Ordered one of the new glasses and a signature glass yesterday. Will it make my IPA drinking experience better? More than likely no. But I like different looking glassware.

Jazzwalker and BufordTjustice like this.
  10. brees6221

Were there some signature glasses made with printed logos on them? Mine and all of the ones I've seen have the laser etched logo and I don't think that's washing off.

11. kelvarnsen

That's what I thought when I first saw it. The ad copy with the design points about it having thin walls, being bowl shaped for hop aromas and having the laser etched bottom to help with carbonation seems like it was taken almost directly from the design of the Sam Adams glass.

[​IMG]

12. drgarage

13. Rifugium

Beer Trader

I never thought it possible, but I have no desire to own these.

I'll probably still get them eventually anyway though.

14. Jnorton00

It looks like some sort of adult novelty toy. (I hope my self censoring prevents me from getting a warning).

15. UCLABrewN84

They say they were custom made for IPAs, but didn't someone post a picture of them as champagne glasses? So they already existed and aren't really something new?

steebo777 likes this.
  16. steebo777

I got convinced to do a small group order with friends, so I ordered one. I do want to see if it does anything for IPAs differently from a snifter or perfect pint glass (doubtful).

17. DoctorRock

Beer Trader

sooooooo ugly

18. Pecan

Beer Trader

I'd pick one up if it were in front of me to test the whole taste improvement theory, otherwise it's just another ugly glass to tarnish the reputation of my glass whalez shelf. I'm guessing my local bottle shop will be selling one of the versions soon and I'll have to eat my words and pony up the cash....

19. jesskidden

Subscriber

Spiegelau's page on the glass - IPA Glass (priced higher w/o logo than SN and DFH!). Also, contains a 4 minute video with Grossman and Caligione explaining the glass' benefits.

steebo777 and beerepiphany like this.
  20. beerepiphany

Its ugly. I bought one.

21. Pecan

Beer Trader

Oh god, it's a Spiegelau glass... It's not fair that brand influence is causing me to slowly change from thinking it's an ugly waste of space to kind of wanting one....

22. dazedandconfused

Beer Trader

As ugly as it is, I almost ordered it. But to ship 2 glasses from sierra nevada is $23!!

23. jaIsPoAn

24. marshmeli

Beer Trader

yeah looked at their shipping for them yesterday, that is pretty crazy, seems more than normal.

25. yeahnatenelson

Beer Trader

Spiegelau will be selling the unbranded glasses starting in May for $25/pair.

EDIT: jesskidden beat me to the punch!

26. Jazzwalker

Beer Trader

27. SPRichard

Seems like Red Lobster beat them to the punch

[​IMG]

28. steebo777

Hahaha, seriously?!?

29. Jazzwalker

Beer Trader

You know, that glass is not half bad looking. I only wish the new DFH glass was thicker. I know why they made the glass thin, but I would have liked it thicker just the same. Feels like a high pitch would shatter it.....just saying.

30. UCLABrewN84

ISO ;)

31. dazedandconfused

Beer Trader

I actually have that same red lobster glass lol. Never thought to drink beer out of it. I guess it's worth trying to throw an ipa in it.

32. Hanzo

It seems like it took forever to process and ship my order...I'm three hours from DFH, oh well it will be here Monday, I guess I am just impatient.

33. Lantern

I like mine. The 'easily knocked over' excuse is shallow, 'cause if you hit a glass hard enough to knock it over, ANY glass will tilt over. The Rhizing Bines I'm drinking from it now still has head after 30 minutes. The little etching at the bottom is definitely releasing bubbles.

If Russian River, Three Floyds or HF releases this glass, everybody loves it. If DFH does... well, you already know.

fmccormi and TrappistJohnMD like this.
  34. fmccormi

Beer Trader

So, would you say that it really does make a difference? If so, is it mainly just retention and aroma?

35. Lantern

Yeah, I'd say a little of both. A fan of it, no matter what it looks like!

fmccormi likes this.
  36. fmccormi

Beer Trader

Sweet. Sounds good to me, man. I broke my Bruery tulip just the other day and my birthday's coming up—s'pose it's a sign to get some new glassware? :)

Lantern likes this.
  37. Lantern

I'd vote 'yes'!

fmccormi likes this.
  38. RockAZ

Beer Trader

Bought a pair of them and immediately discovered both my Gallic nose and lips cannot wedge themselves both in the narrow opening. A few more practice sips and I get the idea, Sam C. called it "Olfactory Cannon", aiming the narrow opening at my nose. The beehive ridges do stir up the beer during a sip, the etchings in the bottom send a constant stream of bubbles to the top. Speaking of etching, the logo is etched, no more fading stickers. The quality of the glass material is superb, musical tone from pinging the glass is loud and clear. Concerns about the thinness of the glass from the beehive up - its a handwasher for sure. I do think the narrow base that is slightly beveled is a little tippy, exercise care around where you set the glass down - better yet, don't put it down as it is comfortable to hold. Shipping was outrageous, but mine arrived intact because it was packed well (unlike my first Randall). Grab some of these at a special event in your town someday or stop bit$chin' about the shipping charge.

And so - don't ask me for value judgements (was it worth the cost?), I would have wanted this glass anyway for my collection, but I will say I will use it for a while. Also say it does keep the bubbles in an IPA going, I tested it with Hopslam on draft in my house. It is 19oz all the way to the very top, and looks like it is made for probably a 16oz pour which leaves about an inch of head for the foam. The last few sips of the IPA are very pleasurable as the ridges stir up the beer, nice to have the last bitter dregs perform as well as the first. I might be keen to try one of those Red Lobster glasses from upthread, it does look similar. I expect I will be disappointed as it is not Spiegelau, which are always awesome works of art.

olfolxholme and TrappistJohnMD like this.
  39. mnrider

I might get the unbranded version. I hate branded glassware.

40. El_Zilcho

http://www.totalwine.com/_static/webupload/731/3_38802920_2_3.jpg
    Or the champagne guys[​IMG]

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe