New double tap question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by BigStew2000, Jul 3, 2013.

1. BigStew2000

BigStew2000 Jul 3, 2013

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the community and just got my first kegerator hooked up about an hour ago! It's an Edgestar KC2000 Twin, ultra low temp dual tap.

As I was putting it together, a couple of questions came up:

1. The co2 splitter is a steel T-splitter with no individual line valves. It's basically a free-flowing splitter. Can I operate the unit with only only 1 barrel attached? I wasn't sure if I had the empty keg coupler unattached and closed, is that sufficient enough to seal off the co2 from leaking? Or am I going to need a better splitter with individual valves?

2. Do you find drastically different types of beer (Guinness style vs Lite) need different PSI's for a better all-around tap experience?

Thanks!

Big Stew

2. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

You can leave the dead line attached to the coupler, as long as the coupler is in the open position. You really do need separate regulators to properly balance different beers.

3. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Jun 10, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

4. scootermsp

scootermsp Jun 28, 2013 Massachusetts

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Hi Stew,

Welcome to BA. I'm not really familiar with T splitters, but I'll comment on the second question:

Different beer styles are served with different pressures. Most of your English styles are served under 2 CO2 volumes. Other beers like Hefeweizen are served around 3-3.5 CO2 volumes. If you only have one regulator then you'll only be able to serve one pressure. You can cheat and bump up the pressure and continue to connect and disconnect the gas from a keg if you want to keep the pressure low. It'll just have to maintain a little pressure to run beer through the bev line. If you have a dual regulator you can serve with 2 pressures. This will be optimal if you want a low pressure beer (Guinness) next to a high pressure beer (Franziskaner). You can set a specific pressure for each keg and not have to fuss with it afterwards.

6. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

1. Yes, you can leave it dangling. However, be careful when hooking up a second keg since you have no check valve. If there is foam or the beer is up close to the gas post, a difference in pressure can cause beer to suck back into the gas line. It's best to drop the pressure on the keg & only hook up one keg at a time so the pressure in the gas line is always higher than the pressure in the keg being hooked up.

Or you could get check valves/shutoffs.

7. DougC123

Subscriber

If he has the unused line on the coupler then he has a check valve, assuming he is using them as they should be used on the gas in line.

8. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Not what I'm getting from "The co2 splitter is a steel T-splitter with no individual line valves." That means free-flowing gas between the kegs and potential for back flow.

9. DougC123

Subscriber

The set up he is describing is very common with entry level two tap kegerators. Line comes from the single regulator, gets split to feed two kegs. From the t splitter the lines go to the couplers. Where the line attaches to the coupler there are check valves. If there weren't check valves there, the beer could flow into the regulator or the other keg. Not that it matters much, he posted once a week ago and never came back.

10. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

He didn't say there were check valves, so I don't think it's reasonable to assume he has them. Thus, it's prudent to warn him of the potential consequences of not having them.
    Amen!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe