1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

New England Brewing Co lookout thread

Discussion in 'New England' started by DrWangerBanger, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigedct

bigedct Jun 23, 2011 Connecticut

Just in time for my birthday! Lol!

NJOssie likes this.
  2. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

I'm driving through CT to NJ tomorrow and looking to stop at a few bottle shops along the way. Can I expect to find Imperial Stout Trooper or Gandhi Bot? Gonna check out Coastal Wine & Spirits, New England Beverage Co. and Mo's (I'm taking I-95 down).

3. stearns16

stearns16 Jan 11, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

No on Stout Trooper, but should find Gandhi

4. AaronF

AaronF Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I found some Storm Trooper at Lake Wines and Spirits in Southbury two Saturdays ago. Stew Leonard's in Danbury had multiple cases of Gandhi yesterday. They Gandhi was bottled on 4/15. It was awesome! They are both off 84 if you are willing to divert the trip a little.

5. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Just a general suggestion: as great as Gandhi, IST, FBD, etc undoubtedly are, don't let your interest in them keep you from visiting the brewery if they're not available. I can pretty much guarantee that a visit to NEBCO when they're pouring, say, Elm City, Sea Hag, and 668 will be a better overall experience than stopping by some out-of-the-way bottle shop for a 4-pack of Bot.

There's a lot more to NEBCO than their "greatest hits," and you'll only be doing yourself a favor to look past the hype and appreciate them for everything they are.

seplo, polishkaz, Bizoneill and 9 others like this.
  6. NJOssie

NJOssie Feb 28, 2012 New Jersey

well, hell yeah!

7. BarrelAgedBrian

It's not that I don't want to visit to brewery, it's that it's out of the way relative to my trip to NJ and I need to stay on schedule.

8. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

how the crap are they fitting those in there? that's amazing.

CharlatanSin likes this.
  9. NJOssie

NJOssie Feb 28, 2012 New Jersey

which route are you taking? it's right off 15 and I ride that all the time to and from CT/NJ

10. woosterbill

Beer Trader

Sorry if it came off as though I was calling you out directly - as I said, my suggestion was a general one in response to a not uncommon occurrence. Matt has mentioned several times where someone has walked into the brewery, asked for Gandhi-Bot, and turned around and left without another word upon finding out it wasn't available at that moment. Beer nerds have asked him why they even bother to keep brewing Elm City and Sea Hag.

Lots of people post in this ongoing thread about "where can I find [insert highly rated specialty beer]" and don't seem to care about the fact that pretty much everything NEBCO brews is top notch, especially when enjoyed fresh at the brewery.

Cheers!

seplo, stearns16, cheers55 and 2 others like this.
  11. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

beer nerds need to give sea hag another try. with the gradual recipe revamp it's one of the best american IPAs around if fresh.

RMoeNay, cheers55, davey101 and 8 others like this.
  12. tehzachatak

Agree. Pre-revamp, I honestly was not a fan. Now, I am hard pressed to find an regular IPA sold in 12 oz 6 packs that's better fresh.

polishkaz and jaxon53 like this.
  13. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Agreed, love Sea Hag. That and CCB Jai Alai are my favarite regular IPA's and both come in cans which is nice.

14. CharlatanSin

CharlatanSin May 28, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

If NEBCO ever installs the capacity to date their cans, I know I'll be buying WAY more Sea Hag. I think the rating on this site will skyrocket, too. It's absolutely wonderful fresh, but at the risk of sounding too BA-ish, it really does fall off after a while.

Hopefully they can do this with the incoming canning line mentioned earlier in the thread?

15. BarrelAgedBrian

Dumb question, but anyone who was recently at the brewery know which beers they are selling at their retail shop currently? I may be able to get over there next week.

16. jaxon53

jaxon53 Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Couldn't agree more. Elm City and Sea Hag are both phenomenal straight from the brewery. Sucked down many growlers of these! Some of the nicest people you may bump into! Skip the stores, hit the brewery!!

17. tehzachatak

Not a dumb question - just the wrong time to ask it. It changes a lot. By next week, maybe possibly the berliner will be on? Otherwise, some mix of Sea Hag, 668, Elm City Pils, or Gandhi-Bot, with the very vague possibility of something random being dug up.

18. BarrelAgedBrian

So I guess Imperial Stout Trooper came and went then? At least in bottle form?

19. blckout20

blckout20 May 24, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Best news I've heard all week!!! Cannot wait for this to happen.

20. sandman3479

sandman3479 Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

They rarely have cans for sale at the brewery, and only bottles at special releases. Retail is primarily growler only.

21. tehzachatak

At the brewery? There were some bottles for like, a few days in 2012. Given that it was on for growlers a month ago or so, I'd guess that was the last of it for the year, but who knows, maybe they'll find another keg.

What that guy said. In my experience...
    • Special releases (BA IST, Attempted RedRum, the hoppy stuff, etc.) are bottle or growler, brewery only.
    • Rotating releases (Wet Willy, IST, Premeditated, etc.) are bottle and growler, and the vast majority of bottles go to distribution. They sell a small number of leftovers at the brewery, and they go really fast.
    • Regular releases (e.g. Elm City Pils, Sea Hag, 668, Gandhi-Bot) are can and growler, and I don't think it ever gets "officially" sold in cans at the brewery - I've certainly never got any. You normally need to catch them in the act, I think.
    I don't ever go to NEBCO expecting to be able to buy anything except growlers. If you want cans and don't want to go far, Amity usually has whatever's recent.

22. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

your best bet for IST is 1) trading (can do in person trades since local so not so bad), or 2) store hunting. there's surely bottles around somewhere, you just have to randomly search or mention it on BA and hope someone gives you a friendly tip.

23. woosterbill

Beer Trader

I actually saw a few bottles of 2011 IST, the last in 750s, at a store in Fairfield last week - Black Rock Wine & Spirits, iirc. A very reasonable $13.99, too, but I have no idea if they're still there.

24. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

This. I go back periodically to that store and grab 2 bottles of 2011 IST. I hear they have another store that they own and doesnt move the product as quickly as Black Rock.

25. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Also had some bourbon county in the corner when i was there too

26. davey101

davey101 Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Anyone going to the brewery today or tommorow wanna post whats on tap? Pretty sure I'll be there Friday afternoon.

27. purephase

purephase Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

According to their Facebook, Elm City, 668, and Sea Hag at the moment, and they're aiming for Friday for Gandhi-Bot.

28. BarrelAgedBrian

I may give Black Rock a call tomorrow before heading back up to Boston, looks like it's a convenient detour off the Merritt Parkway.

29. tehzachatak

MOAR GALAXY!

(didn't they say there was going to be like... eight batches of that this year? or was that Supernaut?)

30. DrWangerBanger

DrWangerBanger Sep 9, 2010 Connecticut

I think this is the last batch of supernaut, or maybe 2nd to last

31. KalH

KalH Sep 22, 2009 North Carolina

Know this is a bit early, but anyone hear if NEBCO will be open this Memorial Day?

32. drewj23

drewj23 Oct 18, 2005 Connecticut

No on Memorial Day

33. KalH

KalH Sep 22, 2009 North Carolina

Thanks for the response and info.

34. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Similar size batch of Supernaut?

35. Sam21

Sam21 Dec 14, 2009 Connecticut

What's the deal with Wet Willy and release dates? I've seen some 2011 on the shelves and am wondering if this was a recent re-release (last 6 months), or just old stock being moved by distributor? I've had it with age and loved it, so this is more about curiosity.

36. DrWangerBanger

DrWangerBanger Sep 9, 2010 Connecticut

Old stock not moving off the shelves. Welcome to CT, on your left you'll see 1.5 year old bottles of Ballast Point Sculpin and on your right you'll see year old cans of Torpedo

jaxon53, davey101 and CharlatanSin like this.
  37. Sam21

Ha. I actually haven't seen old stock at all in the stores by me. I'm in the upper west corner, so it's a 15 mile drive to a great beer store in MA and 8 miles to a fantastic store in CT. Both have fresh stock and never seem to have out-of-date beer.

The wet willy was just strange - good beer with 1-1.5 years on it tho!

38. tehzachatak

relatively enormous amount of old WW on shelves in Mass too, given that basically all other NEBCO is gone from Mass now.

39. Sam21

That's what made me wonder if there was a lot held back for some reason. I'm sure that it tastes fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe