New England Brewing Company (February 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

New month, new NEBCO thread

https://www.facebook.com/New-England-Brewing-Co-58798029455/

https://twitter.com/NewEnglandBrew

Instagram too: https://www.instagram.com/taproom_at_newenglandbrewing/

A new website is coming soon (allegedly :rolling_eyes:): http://newenglandbrewing.com/

New England Brewing Tap Room

175 Amity Rd. Woodbridge, CT.

Open Wed - Fri 3pm - 7pm, Sat 11am-4pm.

Draft list updated about an hour before we open, listing our growler fill options! So check the above links (and facebook, if you have an account) for the current list.

FAQ (info provided by some outstanding BA members)

You can pay with credit card or cash.

You have an option to fill your non-NEBCO growler. Please remember to bring your own caps.

The growler cannot be of the long neck swing-top style, since they tend to break under their taps.

You can buy a new NEBCO growler glass there.

Limit of 4 TOTAL fills (32 or 64 oz.) and 2 fills maximum (32 or 64 oz.) per "style".

Does NEBCO distribute to local bottle shops?
    Sea Hag is readily available. 668 is fairly accessible but might be a bit dated (not a huge deal as it is a Belgian Golden Strong so freshness is less of a factor). G-Bot is nearly impossible unless you catch it right and know the secret password or are a regular. Best get is the brewery where all "regular" offerings are almost always on and their other tap selections are as good if not better than their can offerings.

What happens if cans are available at the brewery?
    If Coriolis cans were available that day at a limit of half a case, then the following applies:
    Per the Facebook: "CT State regulations limit 9 liters per customer per day so if you buy a half case we can only sell two 64 oz and one 32 oz growler in addition."

How often does Coriolis cans become available at the brewery?
    They said every 5 weeks. Just enough to last a few days and people get 12 cans. If they miss it, then it will come back around real soon.

Finally:

Exciting news here at NEB! We are proud to announce a new member to our growing family; a person who is no stranger to the industry and CT craft beer scene.

Marty Juliano has joined our team and will be our Director of Business Development. He brings over 35 years of diverse experience and wonderful relationships to team and will help lead us into our next phase of growth. Marty has spent the last 10 years with Sierra Nevada managing the brand in CT, MA and RI working with distributors, retailors and on premise accounts. We hope you are as excited as we are in welcoming Marty to NEB!

Congratulation Marty! Hope you now open a BA account and join us on this monthly thread. Most breweries choose to join us on their monthly threads to chime in and interact with their customers. We've been waiting for somebody from NEBCO to be a resource to this thread. Hopefully, it will be you. Cheers.

2. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (170) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Wonder if we will see Coriolis cans soon...last time was right before Christmas.

3. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,203) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Cheers to another great month!

smutty33 likes this.
  4. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Still no word on the tap list for the Prime 16 Tap Takeover?

5. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (159) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Their FB post today included "#coriolisfriday". Not sure that means a can release but I can't remember if they have had Coriolis on for fills since they began canning it.

6. purephase

purephase Initiate (149) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

For the last couple of years I believe it's only been released a week or so before the event.

7. PenningtonNY10

Nice, good to know! Hopefully I can make it down.

8. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (227) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

In case people were nervous believing a #coriolisfriday post ... 1/2 case Coriolis cans per person today with a double dry hopped cask of double fuzzy in the tasting room. between 300 and 400 cases.

smutty33 likes this.
  9. invertedcrix

invertedcrix Initiate (0) May 4, 2015 New York

What's the word on this comb over with apricots? Saw some recent reviews... sounds tasty

10. xanok

xanok Aspirant (283) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

Probably the first or second Monday of March, as has been tradition.

11. purephase

Trader

It's happening 2/13 this year.

12. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (742) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

NEBCo. got cleaned out the past couple days.

Coriolis sold out around 3 today along w/ Gandhi-Bot.

Passionfruit I.P.A kicked yesterday, as did the B.I.P.A

beanoboy7 and JLK7299 like this.
  13. ianous

ianous Initiate (79) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut

They had a Passionfruit IPA? Boy am I kicking myself for missing that.

14. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (186) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Too acidic for my liking

15. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (144) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

This may be a stupid question, but I haven't seen Sea Hag cans ANYWHERE in MA in a while it feels like. Is it still distributed up here?

16. smutty33

Trader

They haven't been in MA. for a while now. 4/5 years ago?

17. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (144) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

That'd certainly explain it. I drank tooooonnnnssss of Sea Hag in college. That, Smuttynose IPA, Smuttynose Brown Dog, and Sam's Winter were my go-tos.

smutty33 likes this.
  18. smutty33

Trader

Locust Reign returns today along with:

Track Suit (Brett pale ale)
    Kewl Beans
    Coconut Joy
    Gold Stock

Cask- Kewl Beans w/ cacao nibs and more coffee

19. purephase

Trader

smutty33 likes this.
  20. beanoboy7

21. purephase

Trader

I imagine the vast majority of stuff will be available when they open at 11:30. I know the Facebook background for the event suggest a 5 PM tapping but they have different fliers up in the restaurant saying it's an all day event.

And historically it's been all day too; at last year's for instance the only things tapped later in the day were the casks of DDH Ducks and Mexican Cake IST, with everything else including Coffee IST available at open.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  22. beanoboy7

Austin Japs is now the head brewer of NEBCO. Formally of Thomas hooker and Steady Habit.

23. lic217

lic217 Champion (877) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

A friend brought over a growler of ducks. Forgot how good that beer was.

smutty33 likes this.
  24. PenningtonNY10

They corrected that, Austin said he's not the head brewer at NEBCO, just a brewer.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  25. JLK7299

Society Trader

Went yesterday for the first time since summer. Spin Cycle is GOOD! Wish I had gotten a 64 and not a 32!

smutty33 likes this.
  26. EDNOSE

Great visit today. Haven't seen anyone mention it here but bar area is under construction (expanding back). Sounds like more bar space, more taps and possibly larger pours may be coming once that is done. This first Spin Cycle is delicious.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  27. Lucoli

Lucoli Defender (641) Apr 2, 2013 New York
    Trader

Spin Cycle #1 > FBD.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  28. hit728

hit728 Aspirant (280) Mar 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

I just found it amazing that on a day with FBD on tap I was able to get fills and samples and be in my way in 20 minutes. A lot has changed in a year.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  29. JLK7299

Society Trader

Last spring I waited in line 3 hours. On Thursday I was in and out.

beanoboy7 likes this.
  30. aqi317

aqi317 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2016 Connecticut

As someone who has gotten into this hobby within the past year, can someone explain what is different and what has changed for NEBCO over the years? I expected to wait in a long line for FBD based off what I heard, but it was an easy trip.

31. skleice

skleice Aspirant (281) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

There was a time that FBD was one of the juiciest, most flavorful, aromatic beers around....and was scarce too. The beer landscape has changed quite a bit with numerous amazing breweries right in our backyards. It is also still only released in growlers, which are limited and don't last as long.

My palate has changed to where NebCo beers don't blow me away, but it's mainly the growler only format (for most beers) that keeps me away.

aqi317 likes this.
  32. xanok

I had Spin Cycle and Passion Fruit at the tap takeover and felt they were both incredible. BBA IST remains one of my favorite barrel aged stouts as well.

There's so many breweries completely turning to the TH style of IPA. I'm glad NEBCO isn't one of them.

33. xanok

So who is the head brewer at SHBC now?

34. EDNOSE

I think it is much more that Fuzzy Baby Ducks is available way more often than it used to be. For my 2 cents, it is a way better balanced beer than most Treehouse stuff and at $12 for 64 oz fill is a very good price. It is not beer quality. It will obviously be a train wreck at NEBCO the first time they can it which should be soon.

Shyla987, smutty33, lic217 and 2 others like this.
  35. beanoboy7

It's brewed much more frequently and the taproom is now able to handle larger crowds.

smutty33 and purephase like this.
  36. PenningtonNY10

I believe they are in search of one!

37. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (298) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

They seemed to have busted down another wall last time I visited.. Any idea whether they're adding more space in the taproom?

38. EDNOSE

See my post about 10 above. Short answer is "yes".

39. mattbrown15

mattbrown15 Initiate (24) Jul 8, 2015 Connecticut

Staff indicated that they will be selling full pours after expansion is complete and have already received their permit from the Town to do so.

Also, was told that the plan is to not brew any further Fat Ten-er beers now that they have started the Spin Cycle series.

aqi317 likes this.
  40. aqi317

aqi317 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2016 Connecticut

I love that they're expanding the business, since it'll hopefully make it a more viable destination to go to with groups. But any idea if that means they'll drop giving samples? It's been nice to make a quick stop for a growler fill and get a sample or two before you go on your way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.