New England Brewing Company (January/February 2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

https://www.facebook.com/New-England-Brewing-Co-58798029455/

https://twitter.com/NewEnglandBrew

Instagram too: https://www.instagram.com/taproom_at_newenglandbrewing/

A new website is now up :slight_smile:: http://newenglandbrewing.com/

New England Brewing Tap Room

175 Amity Rd. Woodbridge, CT.

Open Wed - Thurs 3pm - 9pm, Fri 12pm - 9pm, Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 12pm - 5pm.

Draft list updated about an hour before we open, listing our growler fill options! So check the above links for the current list.

FAQ (info provided by some outstanding BA members)

You can pay with credit card or cash.

You have an option to fill your non-NEBCO growler. Please remember to bring your own caps.

The growler can be of the long neck swing-top style. Please note that 750 ml growlers are charged at the same price as 32 oz growlers. So you might want to consider the larger 32 oz size.

You can buy a new NEBCO growler glass there.

Limit of 4 TOTAL fills (32 or 64 oz.) and 2 fills maximum (32 or 64 oz.) per "style".

Does NEBCO distribute to local bottle shops?
    Sea Hag is readily available. 668 is fairly accessible but might be a bit dated (not a huge deal as it is a Belgian Golden Strong so freshness is less of a factor). G-Bot is nearly impossible unless you catch it right and know the secret password or are a regular. Best get is the brewery where all "regular" offerings are almost always on and their other tap selections are as good if not better than their can offerings.

What happens if cans are available at the brewery?
    If cans were available that day at a limit of half a case, then the following applies:
    Per the Facebook: "CT State regulations limit 9 liters per customer per day so if you buy a half case we can only sell two 64 oz and one 32 oz growler in addition."

How often does Coriolis cans become available at the brewery?
    They said every 5 weeks. Just enough to last a few days and people get 12 cans. If they miss it, then it will come back around real soon.

Are there any other cans released at the brewery?
    Yes, Fuzzy Baby Ducks cans were released. Different new cans are being released on a regular basis but not every week.

Bottles?
    BA Imperial Stout Trooper bottles were released. Different new bottles are being released on a regular basis but not every week. From time to time, "bottle service" is being offered in the taproom (for onsite consumption). First bottles offered were 2012 Friar's Quad, 2012 BBA IST, and 2014 Redrum.

Dates on cans?
    NEBCO has begun putting the dates on the bottom of their cans. Happy news for many of you. :grin:

News:

Exciting news here at NEBCO! We are proud to announce a new member to our growing family; a person who is no stranger to the industry and CT craft beer scene.

Marty Juliano has joined our team and will be our Director of Business Development. He brings over 35 years of diverse experience and wonderful relationships to team and will help lead us into our next phase of growth. Marty has spent the last 10 years with Sierra Nevada managing the brand in CT, MA and RI working with distributors, retailors and on premise accounts. We hope you are as excited as we are in welcoming Marty to NEB!

Finally:

We have @Gmr75, from the NEBCO brewery, join our thread. He has said that he will "try to post more" on this monthly thread and "always glad to answer any questions I can." :slight_smile:

2. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,218) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Happy New Year!

3. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (163) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

Quick question. What size pours does NEB use for their "regular" offerings? Not talking about the tulips that they use for their "one size" pours, but rather the Willie Becher style glasses. My guess is 7 oz. and 16 oz. but those glasses are a bit wonky.

4. Gmr75

Gmr75 Aspirant (251) Apr 30, 2002 Connecticut
    Brewery Trader

I believe the "pub glasses" are indeed 7 and 16 oz. I do know that mathematically short pours are actually cheaper per oz. I can double check on Monday, as I'm off to Portland this weekend for the Allagash event and lots of good beer & food.

CTHopman likes this.
  5. CTHopman

Have fun. Perhaps the best NE trip (coupled with a visit to Barreled Souls) and Portsmouth. FYI, after tasting Wududator, my buddy and I were inspired to brew a doppelbock. First week in secondary now. Cheers.

Gmr75 likes this.
  6. CTHopman

7. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Poo-Bah (2,784) Mar 6, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Any word on when this year’s NebCo Tap Takeover is going to be at Prime 16? I know it’s usually sometime in February but I haven’t seen anything about it yet.

mjlavorgna likes this.
  8. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (645) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Today was my first visit since summertime. Few observations, obviously subjective:
    Very nice batch of Coriolis. Wish the Nebco malt character was a little more subdued to let the Nelson overpower. Better than some of last years batches, however.
    Galaxy is fantastic. Been said before but needs to see cans.
    G-Bot pour was excellent. Kind of lost my way with this one but was a pleasant revisit.
    New Spin Cycle was solid. Seems to highlight the Amarillo as dominant.
    Gold Stock was a disappointment, unfortunately. Nothing like I recall from Selden St days.
    Again, all tastes are different. Have to admit I was a little disappointed with the hoppy offerings during 2017 but today rejuvenated my interest.
    Great taproom experience as well. Love the short pours.

JLK7299 likes this.
  9. Gmr75

Brewery Trader

Thanks for the feedback @GaryChalmers - The Nelson crop has been tough as of late, this recent batch IMO is a step in the right direction to get that more classic NS character, and less of the diesel/odd earthiness I've noticed in recent boxes of hops we've gotten in. Other brewers I've talked to have been also tweaking their Nelson focused beers like us to get back to that classic character the hop displayed when it first came out.

We are starting to get the hops in from hop selection in Yakima this year (our first year being big enough to be able to select in person the specific lots of hops we will be contracting). It was a exciting experience, and getting the hops in now - It's going to pay off greatly. The Centential and Citra we've gotten in this past week or two are IMO the best we've gotten since I've been at Nebco. Huge punchy aromatics. Excited to put them to use. We also have some exciting new hop varieties coming in this week that will be seeing some action as well. Looking forward to pushing the beers to another level in 2018, and hope people will be psyched about the results.

We agree that Galaxy Pale would be killer in cans. When it's on, it's what I drink when my shift is over. Hopefully someday cans will happen.

10. coteman6789

coteman6789 Initiate (45) Jan 22, 2016 Connecticut

Add me to the list of those who want Galaxy Pale Ale cans!

cosmicdebris likes this.
  11. mjlavorgna

mjlavorgna Initiate (52) Oct 2, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Was wondering the same thing - I did see they're having a NEBCO happy hour this Thursday, but doesn't seem like the full takeover they usually have

12. jtodeasa

jtodeasa Initiate (126) Nov 11, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Maybe they are moving in a different direction. 2017 was a big year of change for NEBCO and this may be part of the fallout.

Let's be honest, it was pretty much a shitshow the entire time unless you got there early or late.
    Having said that, I fondly remember Fuzzy Baby Ducks on cask dry-hopped with Citra. . . pure juice.
    [​IMG]

13. jtodeasa

Trader

[​IMG]
    Aforementioned shitshow.

14. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (117) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Last time I went was in 2013, I think. It's def a shitshow. Fun having Supernaut when it was called Mosaic IPA. Not fun at all trying to get beers with so many people there. Maybe it'll be different this year?

Happening this Thursday, February 8th, announced today.

15. purephase

purephase Initiate (150) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

I believe that's just the monthly brewery happy hour @mjlavorgna was referring to above, not the full blown tap takeover. Looks like they'll have Peach Fuzz and the newest Spin Cycle for it, in addition to Sea Hag. I've heard rumors that the tap takeover won't be happening at Prime this year if it happens at all.

I did think it felt less like a shitshow the last couple of years than it did from 2013-2015. It was still definitely shitshowish at its peak but didn't feel as consistently busy throughout the day as it had in the past. The bigger kegs and casks also meant there was far less pressure to get something immediately and there's been nothing that's really resembled the Mosaic IPA kicking in 5 minutes in 2013 the last few years. Hell last year the coffee/coconut IST cask wasn't even tapped the night of the takeover because the Coriolis cask it was supposed to replace didn't kick before close, and the vintage BA IST, Premeditated, and Wet Willy were all available for days afterward.

I'll be a bit bummed if it turns out it isn't in fact happening this year just because it was always one of my favorite beer events in the state. But the fact that the tasting room has had a great variety of stuff available for pours pretty regularly since it opened last summer is more than enough consolation.

16. larrytownsend

larrytownsend Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2005 Connecticut

The NEBCo event this Thursday is just a part of our monthly Happy Hour series featuring great local breweries. It is not a tap takeover

Unfortunately there is no tap takeover scheduled this year.

It's been rewarding to see so many people come out through the years to our event, and I want to thank you personally for the support. If you're disappointed, do yourself a favor and visit their awesome tasting room if you haven't recently. They have everything in production available and frequently do brewery only releases that make the visit worthwhile to those looking for something special to drink. (I'm sure everyone reading this knows that though).

Our big event at Prime 16 is the New Haven Craft Beer Fest, which we are already hard at work on (amongst other things). NEBCo brought some really great beers last year, and I'm sure they'll do so again. And don't worry, the fest isn't inside the restaurant, so the challenges with the small bar aren't a problem.

-Larry from Prime 16

17. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (746) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

"Double Deuce" - version of Dose double dry hopped with Ekuanot, Galaxy and Citra for growlers today.

18. smutty33

Trader

Headed on down to the Road House to get some Double Deuce, delighted to see a cask of Fuzzy Baby Ducks dry hopped with Ekuanot and Galaxy for pours. Insanely delicious, smooth like Swayze.

Gmr75 and TheMattJones88 like this.
  19. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

DD was dope.....

20. smutty33

Trader

Locust Reign cans a cometh.......today!

Three 4pks. per person.........$12

MrRB and purephase like this.
  21. jtodeasa

Trader

22. LKAZZI

LKAZZI Initiate (31) Aug 31, 2014 Connecticut

Still Locust cans available. Haven't cracked one yet. Should last the weekend. Double deuce is tremendous. Galaxy and supernaut don't suck either. Nice Sat AM visit. NEBCo is killing it these days.

23. smutty33

Trader

Locust is looking and tasting great! HUGE fan of this hop bill-(Columbus/Galaxy/Mosaic). Hazy, not turbid. Fruity up front, then dry/crisp and a lovely bite. I strongly consider Locust to be the best DIPA in CT. IMO, of course.

Cheers

Evmo31, cosmicdebris, lic217 and 4 others like this.
  24. CTHopman

Hand and hand with Dose.

Gmr75 likes this.
  25. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (151) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

Man those locust cans were great. Trillium/Tree House, while great, can become sort of tiresome after too many. The more ipas I drink, the more I think NEBCOs are perfect and what I want in a beer.

lic217, Gmr75, mltobin and 2 others like this.
  26. purephase

Trader

27. jtodeasa

Trader

I am liking this trend.

28. Patches826

Patches826 Savant (961) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts

So, I'm just now having my first ever beer from NEBCO (Fuzzy Baby Ducks) and I'm left confused... How are these guys not either a major destination brewery or a regional production brewery at this point? Have they deliberately stayed small? Did TH, Trill & OH steal their spotlight? I mean, unless the recipe has changed significantly over time, FBD is essentially a Trillium beer that's existed since well before Trillium was even founded. How did they never capitalize on that?

29. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (89) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think the only beer i had from them was imperial stout trooper, and it definitely didnt meet expectations. Personally the fact that it's 2 hours away from the "center" of NE and that 7/11 of their offerings are some form of IPA, makes me unlikely to travel there as a destination. TH is an hour away and trillium is wicked close. That said I dont fully understand why they're not more popular when HF is in the middle of nowhere and they're rated so highly.

30. purephase

Trader

On the business side when it comes to hype, in-house can sales only really started as a regular occurrence about a year and a half ago. Prior to that, everything outside of the distributed cans of Sea Hag, Gandhi-Bot, 668, Elm City, and the occasional specialty bottle was draft-only, including Ducks. The first Ducks can release was only in March of last year, and before that it was only available from bars or at a limit of 2 64s per person from the brewery. It's definitely been suggested that they could have scaled up a faster pace and/or shifted to brewing a greater amount of their hyped beer earlier, but I believe they were generally cautious in the amount they expanded per year and my impression is that there was a prioritization of meeting statewide demand for the distributed beers, especially Hag and Gandhi, over converting to in-house packaged sales of the other IPAs.

I'm also not sure the profile of NEBCO IPAs would have ever seen them match TH, OH, and Trillium when it comes to hype, regardless of how they chose to grow their business. Don't get me wrong, Ducks was and still is an extremely popular beer, and there were many shitshows both at the brewery and bars around Connecticut for releases and tappings that attest to this. But I'd say NEBCO's IPAs in general don't really conform to the profile that's been most in demand in the region. They retain certain levels of bitterness and dryness that many who prefer softer and juicier beers might find a turnoff. Likewise, the use of American ale yeast and no adjuncts means that their IPAs are relatively clearer than the haze bombs that people go nuts for. Those characteristics are features rather than bugs for my tastes at least, but I think they're also limitations on how much more popular their IPAs could become, at least in the current market.

Glazoo, Kozaka, smutty33 and 7 others like this.
  31. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (117) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Very, very well said and great summary, @purephase.

32. jtodeasa

Trader

I know from firsthand conversations from Rob Leonard that distribution has and will always take precedence over brewery sales for NEBCO, which I thank him for. I think the cautious in-house expansion that @purephase mentions is dead-on, they don't take on too much at once.

Having said that, Ducks and Double Ducks are still the only can releases guaranteed a shitshow. Locust Reign lasted almost a week in cans. Guaranteed that the Coffee Breath will last the same amount of time or more. It's nice having world-class beer readily available around the corner and not having to skip work early to grab some.

33. CTHopman

You do realize that 5 of the current 9 drafts and 3 of the 4 cans offered today at "Trade House" are IPAs (or some incarnation thereof).

smutty33, CtBeerMe and dolomite128 like this.
  34. Gmr75

Brewery Trader

Agreed. I don't think I could have explained our current production model any better. We work very hard to meet the distribution needs of CT, while sneaking in some special releases whenever we can.

Having the new can labeler is allowing us to do some short run onsite releases. 2 weeks in a row has been great, but wont be the norm. I'm hoping we can do at least 1 a month. The next one should make a lot of folks happy... No, it's not Galaxy Pale. Yes, I wish it was too...

MrRB, Kozaka, sulldaddy and 3 others like this.
  35. Gmr75

Brewery Trader

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy IST. Do you remember why it wasn't to your liking? Always curious - esp. with Stout Trooper, as I think that recipe is pretty much perfect (it's def. not mine... I drank IST for many years, before I ever had a chance to be involved with making it).

I agree with you about our onsite list often being heavily weighted towards hoppy offerings. We are working to make sure we always have other styles available - IIRC, we have a doppelbock, belgian golden, gold stock (an oddball german golden ale, oaked, ipa sort of thing... that I love) and a imp. coffee milk stout on right now as well. Our German Pilsner will return soon, and we have a bunch of additional surprises planned for the coming months.

Kozaka, beanoboy7 and jtodeasa like this.
  36. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (152) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Any chance of a return to MA with the flagships? I miss Sea Hag...

dolomite128 likes this.
  37. LKAZZI

LKAZZI Initiate (31) Aug 31, 2014 Connecticut

Agree with purephase's summary too.
    $8.99 sea hag 6-packs are really appreciated by a lot of folks.
    Watch out with GMR onboard and up to speed :wink:)
    New can releases at the brewery have been awesome for the past year+
    GBot ain't changing but things are getting a little hazier I think (dose, deuce, Locust, others) while still maintaining those nice (beer, not juice) features. And large capacity now allows for various non IPAs, which is nice for those of us over 22. Now, to speculate on the next can release... Dose or Super Supernaut? Cheers!

38. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Initiate (186) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

Coup Beans or GPP!

39. Kozaka

Kozaka Defender (645) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Dear Nebco:
    I must apologize. I neglected you in 2017. Woodbridge was always my exclusive brewery destination. I even had a freakin’ log of Hag running constantly. Then I got weird. Blaming it on my honeymoon phase with Counterweight and Fox Farm. But no excuse is valid. Only visited twice, maybe three times for can releases. I’m so sorry. My trip on 2/4 and again this weekend (Coffee Breath, Dose, Super Supernaut) have me lamenting lost time. I promise to be true to you in 2018. Especially with Elm City coming soon.
    XOXO
    GC

jtodeasa, beanoboy7, pbrian and 3 others like this.
  40. Gmr75

Brewery Trader

Thank you Super Nintendo Chalmers. We've missed you.

biafra809, BababooeyHTJ and Kozaka like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.