Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

New England Brewing Company (September 2017)

Discussion in 'New England' started by NiceBeerCans, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (212) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

New month, new NEBCO thread

https://www.facebook.com/New-England-Brewing-Co-58798029455/

https://twitter.com/NewEnglandBrew

Instagram too: https://www.instagram.com/taproom_at_newenglandbrewing/

A new website is now up :slight_smile:: http://newenglandbrewing.com/

New England Brewing Tap Room

175 Amity Rd. Woodbridge, CT.

Open Wed - Thurs 3pm - 9pm, Fri 12pm - 9pm, Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 12pm - 5pm.

Draft list updated about an hour before we open, listing our growler fill options! So check the above links (and facebook, if you have an account) for the current list.

FAQ (info provided by some outstanding BA members)

You can pay with credit card or cash.

You have an option to fill your non-NEBCO growler. Please remember to bring your own caps.

The growler can be of the long neck swing-top style. Please note that 750 ml growlers are charged at the same price as 32 oz growlers. So you might want to consider the larger 32 oz size.

You can buy a new NEBCO growler glass there.

Limit of 4 TOTAL fills (32 or 64 oz.) and 2 fills maximum (32 or 64 oz.) per "style".

Does NEBCO distribute to local bottle shops?
    Sea Hag is readily available. 668 is fairly accessible but might be a bit dated (not a huge deal as it is a Belgian Golden Strong so freshness is less of a factor). G-Bot is nearly impossible unless you catch it right and know the secret password or are a regular. Best get is the brewery where all "regular" offerings are almost always on and their other tap selections are as good if not better than their can offerings.

What happens if cans are available at the brewery?
    If cans were available that day at a limit of half a case, then the following applies:
    Per the Facebook: "CT State regulations limit 9 liters per customer per day so if you buy a half case we can only sell two 64 oz and one 32 oz growler in addition."

How often does Coriolis cans become available at the brewery?
    They said every 5 weeks. Just enough to last a few days and people get 12 cans. If they miss it, then it will come back around real soon.

Are there any other cans released at the brewery?
    Yes, Fuzzy Baby Ducks cans were released in March. Different new cans are being released..

Bottles?
    BA Imperial Stout Trooper bottles were released in March. From time to time, "bottle service" is being offered in the taproom (for onsite consumption). First bottles offered were 2012 Friar's Quad, 2012 BBA IST, and 2014 Redrum.

Dates on cans?
    NEBCO has begun putting the dates on the bottom of their cans. Happy news for many of you. :grin:

News:

Exciting news here at NEB! We are proud to announce a new member to our growing family; a person who is no stranger to the industry and CT craft beer scene.

Marty Juliano has joined our team and will be our Director of Business Development. He brings over 35 years of diverse experience and wonderful relationships to team and will help lead us into our next phase of growth. Marty has spent the last 10 years with Sierra Nevada managing the brand in CT, MA and RI working with distributors, retailors and on premise accounts. We hope you are as excited as we are in welcoming Marty to NEB!

Finally:

We have @Gmr75, from the NEBCO brewery, join our thread. He has said that he will "try to post more" on this monthly thread and "always glad to answer any questions I can." :slight_smile:

mjco04 likes this.
  2. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (235) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Elm City cans back today. Most recent Spin Cycle can is still lingering, as well.

3. sepia5

sepia5 Initiate (116) Jul 26, 2008 Connecticut

I got the Spin Cycle in both cans and in one 32 oz growler this weekend, and I can't believe it is the same beer. The stuff in the growler was solid; the stuff in the cans was undrinkable. It was as if it had totally turned to malt. Anyone else having this issue?

BranfordBound and CTHopman like this.
  4. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (156) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

I did not think that the cans had turned to malt but did notice the SRM was about 5 higher in the cans.

5. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (152) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

I got the cans last week. I definitely wouldn't say that the beer was undrinkable, but I was slightly disappointed with the quality of the beer, considering Dose and Coriolis are two of my favorites. It did seem much more malty than I expected. I took it as the Nelson hops clashing with the hops used from Dose, and just not quite working the way that they had probably anticipated. This being said, I would definitely not go as far as saying it was undrinkable..

6. mjlavorgna

mjlavorgna Initiate (120) Oct 2, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Finally cracked one of my Dosiolis Spin Cycle cans the other night and thought the same thing. Was much, much better on draft at the brewery

7. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Poo-Bah (1,552) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

Same here, got cans on Saturday afternoon expecting hoppy goodness due to prior "experience" with Dose and Coriolis. Very malty, not hop forward. Big let down, probably one of my least liked IPAs from NEBCO.

8. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (212) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Fuzzy Baby Ducks cans sold out at brewery.

9. BeerLawyer85

BeerLawyer85 Initiate (176) Dec 30, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Are there any plans for NEBCO to can Locust Reign?

10. purephase

purephase Initiate (168) Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

People have been told Locust cans are coming. I'd probably expect BFD cans first just because those have been referenced publicly a lot more, but I know in one of the previous monthly threads someone mentioned being told about Locust also right before the first Spin Cycle cans were released.

11. BeerLawyer85

BeerLawyer85 Initiate (176) Dec 30, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Great. Hopefully its sooner than later. Thanks @purephase

12. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (183) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

13. joshjim

joshjim Initiate (158) Mar 22, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

In reference to "Dosiolis". I don't know if anyone else has noticed but on the website Dose is described as Citra/Galaxy/Columbus. Dosiolis was brewed with Citra/Mosaic/Nelson. My cans were not what I expected. Maybe the Dosiolis was a bad hop combo? Galaxy might have been better (and technically would have been Dosiolis).

14. MooltiPass

MooltiPass Initiate (40) Nov 16, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It was Galaxy, not Mosaic in Dosiolis. They mislabeled the cans.

15. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (347) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Any thoughts on Coffee Breath or Premeditated Murder?

I thought both were awesome and wish I could get them all year round.

16. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

My thoughts are in agreement with yours. Havent tried this year batches yet, but have enjoyed in the past and would like to see them come around more often.

17. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (177) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Who has had 2016 Barrel Aged Stout Trooper? And why the hell is it so under-carbed? I mean it's literally borderline flat.

I had a friend comment in regards to that when it was released, so I stashed my bottles in a closet in a box, kept around 70 degrees, hoping to let it bottle condition a bit more. Left them there for 2 months, then put them in the cellar.

I cracked one Saturday.. Knowing my friend's story, and knowing he is someone you could trust when it comes to beer, I tilted the bottle entirely upside down, one of the most aggressive pours I've ever done. There was literally no head at all, not even a slight thin layer that dissipated (as you expect with a high abv BB stout). There was an ever-so-slight tannish ring around the beer touching the glass.

The taste was fantastic, as I've always remembered... but it was basically flat. It's what I'd envision a growler of of BB-aged Trooper would taste like if you cracked it open, maybe drank half, and then came back to it a week later. I've never done that with a growler, just figuring that's what it'd be like. It wasn't entirely flat when you paid attention closely, but there was so little carbonation, it might as well have been flat.

Really, really disappointing. And I've never seen it addressed anywhere, and they were even asked about it on Facebook. If you look on Untappd, people have the same experience.

I love Barrel-Aged Stout Trooper, but man.. $60 down the drain trying to choke down flat beer. I honestly dumped the last half of my bottle... I never do that, but beer sort of needs to be carbonated.

18. CTHopman

CTHopman Initiate (156) Jul 22, 2016 Connecticut

I believe they were actually offering refunds almost immediately after the release. Maybe too late now?

19. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (177) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

Seriously? Never read anything about it, nor did I ever see it on here? Maybe I just missed it.

Regardless, extremely disappointing. Been supporting them for a long time, this kind of thing just isn't excusable. Didn't anyone try the beer before releasing it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.