1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

New England, Milkshake and Hazy IPA overload

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pat61, Feb 25, 2019.

1. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,259) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Hey - with all the New England, Milkshake and Hazy IPAs out there does anybody else find themselves gravitating towards porters and stouts? The last few times to pick up beer I have ended up with porters and stouts and am finding them much more satisfying than all the new IPA twists.

storm72, b11, meb3476 and 11 others like this.
  2. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (676) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I've been gravitating back towards West Coast/English IPAs.

Yes, it seems like a lot of people (at least a few of my friends) are suffering from overload, but the good thing is there are plenty of great styles still being produced and easy to find at bottle shops. No reason to get burned out on the haze craze.

Donovanj, CrimeDog, unhyped and 21 others like this.
  3. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (804) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Yes, and it's called winter. But seriously... I think I'd take these more seriously at the local scale if any of my local brewers could NAIL the style. They come close, but "no cigar" as the expression goes. So, I drink as my seasonal whims or feelings dictate.
    To each their own, but there are some great stouts and porters available up and down the Front Range. Thankfully.
    Cheers!

4. officerbill

officerbill Initiate (165) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Also try the dark Belgian ales. There are so many IPA's out there that many (mostly younger) people haven't ever tried other, more flavorful, styles.

Tripel_Threat, bl00, sefus12 and 4 others like this.
  5. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,111) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

As I posted in another thread, I gave up on local (Minnesota) NEIPAs some time ago. Given my lack of exposure to the gold standards of the style, IDK whether this was because I find the style itself to be tiring, or whether the local brewers were just bad at it.

I suspect the latter, since over the weekend I had a bomber of the Toppling Goliath / Bottle Logic collaboration Gamma, Gamma Ray! and it was very good.

Either way, I always have a variety in my 'fridge, including good 'ol pale ales, lagers, etc.

The twinkie styles I just leave alone.

6. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (410) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Don't buyer an I don't make em anymore.

I'll drink and make most other styles, but got over the milkshake fast!

7. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (178) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I usually go into a beer store with an open mind, I don't want to limit myself stylistically in any way until I see what's available. But with winter rolling around, I have found myself gravitating to West Coast IPA's and stouts, maybe it's a seasonal feeling. Once the weather gets warmer I'm sure I'm going to be craving hop bombs again.

laketang, GOBLIN, Amendm and 3 others like this.
  8. pat61

Society

I no longer - unfortunately - qualify as "mostly younger people" - but darker Belgians are also nice. I was just reflecting that my last two trips to the beer store ended up with my cart filled with porters and stouts and not hazy, milkshake, NE IPAs.

9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (562) Mar 28, 2009 California

It’s always good to mix things up.

10. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,384) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

Honestly sick of them. Finding an old school WC IPA is like finding a beer unicorn.

I have tried a couple of the NEIPA that are starting to move toward an actual balance with tropical and bitterness. Still not bitter enough but they are moving some which is welcomed. But for god sake let me see THROUGH my beer!

11. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (485) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Yep. I prefer malty IPAs aka Strong ales. Truly tired of IPAs that are nothing but hops.

beergoot, ESHBG, bigstar87 and 2 others like this.
  12. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (125) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'm sick as hell of all those milkshake, juice, lactose, haze, heartburn, fluffy, thick slurry crap beers. The only one I've ever thought was good enough to have more than once is M-43 so I'll stick with that one and that one only. I've been loving every crisp bitter IPA I've had lately and I'll happily keep chasing that dragon while the overpriced juice cans languish on the shelf (as they seem to do these days).

13. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,969) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I still drink them, but I agree with a lot of people in this thread that I find myself gravitating more towards cleaner and more bitter IPAs. I've been on a big Half Acre kick lately. They just hit the spot and are consistently delicious.

unhyped, meanmutt, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  14. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (235) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

If I want a fruit smoothie, I will have one. Dont need my beer to satisfy that craving.

15. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (161) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Lol, not in my neck of the woods.

16. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Disciple (327) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Society

Totally. And the concept helped inform my trip to Belgium and Germany last fall in an attempt to rediscover older styles. Since returning I've been drinking more Pils, Porters, Belgians, Brown ales, etc. One of the nice benefits has been at the register... $20 4 pack DIPA/Haze/Milkshake is becoming mighty hard to pull the trigger on nowadays.

17. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (200) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I'm just starting to dive into the IPA world, so no burn out/overload yet. In the end of the day a good lager will be hard to beat though, or abandon. Watched the bubbles in my lager glass today. Crisp and clear.

Will avoid versions with added juice. Like I don't like ciders either, for some reason.

#17 beer_beer, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    beergoot likes this.
  18. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (147) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Between my fridge and my cellar, I probably have 10 different styles of beers, but I definitely drink more NEIPAs than other styles- to wit-I am drinking a Very Green by Tree House right now and couldn't be happier. For the record though- Lactose and fruit in IPAs is a step too far in my opinion.

19. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,314) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

I'm honestly sick of seeing NEIPA's and milkshake IPA's everywhere. When I'm in the mood for a new dank, piney West Coast IPA I haven't tried then I have wade through all the haze to find one. I know there are plenty of easy to find examples of a West Coast IPA, but I like variety to try new things. I've tried NEIPA's a while I don't dislike them, they are far from my favorite style

20. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,188) Oct 8, 2007 New York

I traded for some Tree House over Christmas, got a head cold, and 2 weeks later drank some mostly dead NEIPAs.

It's the stock rotation part of fresh haze that's wearing me out: both checking dates in stores + remembering what needs to get drank next in the fridge.

First world problem that is solved by hitting up the Modus Hoperandi.

21. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (147) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I definitely get that-I have given up buying NEIPAs in liquor stores-too much old stock and the style is too expensive to waste money on 3 month old beers that are a month past prime.

Rocktire and Troutbeerbum like this.
  22. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (428) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

All I want and enjoy anymore are Lagers.

SammyJaxxxx and HammsMeASAP like this.
  23. Amendm

Amendm Devotee (454) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

YES, it's still "Dark Beer Season" around here.

I've been avoiding NEIPA and to an extent AIPA to experience other styles, e.g. Porters, Stouts, Scotch Ales, Brown Ales, etc.

laketang, eppCOS, bigstar87 and 2 others like this.
  24. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,260) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Oh yeah. Pastry stouts. Juice & pastries have me covered. They're not just for breakfast.

25. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (236) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Fresh, or relatively fresh Head Hunter whenever you want it is a good problem to have. A world class WC IPA any day of the week.

That said, a couple locals have nailed the NEIPA style so I still pick those up pretty regularly. Also, Old Nation’s M-43 and Boss Tweed are popping up around here now, and few do better with the style.

But I try to never be a slave to 1 or 2 styles. Last night I had a Schwarzbier and an ESB that really hit the spot.

26. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,756) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Gravitating away from IPAs? That's treason! No, I get what you're saying. There are times when I'm in the mood for the classics that got me started on my journey. In the NEIPA world, there's too many indians and not enough chiefs.

laketang, jrc1093, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  27. rgordon

rgordon Champion (893) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's funny you say that. I've been buying Foothills Frostbite, listed as a black IPA, but it's really just a rich, spicy and dry dark ale. I find myself drawn to it more than the plethora of other types of IPA.

bigstar87, pat61 and Amendm like this.
  28. Sandis

Sandis Initiate (102) Jun 18, 2018 Minnesota
    Trader

Living in Minnesota, it is cold enough for about 7 months out of the year that a high abv porter or stout or even a belgian quad sound best to me. But, once Spring/Summer rolls around I typically seek out IPA almost exclusively. As others have stated, I'm also suffering from Hazy IPA/Milkshake overload. Seems like there are 12 new ones at my local store every week. And with the current prices, I'm not sure I could justify (or afford) to try them all.

bigstar87, MNAle and pat61 like this.
  29. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,017) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I hear ya. I started falling in love with Harpoon IPA all over again. Also Harpoon Ale was great before they shit canned it yet again.

30. pat61

Society

I"m from Minnesota too and when I saw the porter and stout crowlers in the cooler I went right past all the hazy, murky, NE, Milkshake stuff and grabbed enough porter and stouts to fill up my basket.

31. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (162) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Come to New England. No one is buying them here like they were, and everyone thinks they can brew good beer. I find myself not having a large enough selection of West Coast IPAs to choose from. I can think of only one good NEIPA in distribution that is worth buying. All of the really good NEIPAs are brewery only cans, at least in Maine.
    I've probably said this over 100 times here, not everyone is a good brewer, and not everyone should charge $20/4. Especially if your beer isn't any good.

laketang, unhyped, meanmutt and 6 others like this.
  32. rgordon

rgordon Champion (893) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I always enjoyed Ipswich Original Ale, along with the Oatmeal Stout.

tzieser, TongoRad and Amendm like this.
  33. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (212) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Totally agree, but then I have always found myself gravitating to Porter and stout. But I certainly don't drink them at the exclusion of other styles. I have steered clear of the milkshake IPAs on purpose because I think the name sounds gross, but the hazy IPAs I've had have been good - a few were great - but I don't understand the level of obsession some people have for them.

Amendm likes this.
  34. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,028) Aug 14, 2015 Texas
    Society

Really good NE IPAs still a bit rare in my part of the world, but I enjoy them when I can get them! Meanwhile, drinking a dry stout as I write this.

egrandfield likes this.
  35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,709) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

For the most part I’m a moderate type of NEIPA guy, and forget the Milkshake kind, so burnout wont be a problem. Actually I’m very moderate on my consumption of hoppy beers, I go back to aals and Pils fairly often. I rarely go the 180 to stouts and such just because of palate fatigue.

laketang, egrandfield and beergoot like this.
  36. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,514) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I enjoy a great example of pretty much every style. HIghly recommend to switch styles often. We may not always have this many styles available to us. Get out of any boredom rut you find yourself in and switch it up, man.

37. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,643) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Like every style, I love the good NEIPAs/milkshakes and hate the poor ones. However, as with any style, when I find myself getting burned out them, I switch them up with something. I felt myself craving a solid witbier/hefeweizen/pale wheat ale today. I guess I'll have to add them into the rotation again to switch up the variety.

38. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (89) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Last week I complained to my local beer store that it was getting harder and harder to find IPAs that weren't hazy or unfiltered or didn't contain lactose, blueberries or cinnamon buns. He laughed when I said I just wanted hops in my IPAs!

39. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (200) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Sorry to hear. Less can also be more. Maybe the owner partly laughed at himself?

40. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (37) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Yes, with so many NEIPAs on the shelves and so many of the them just average or below average, I am afraid to shell out the bucks to find something new without trying it. Yesterday, after browsing for a while, I ended up purchasing a 4-pack of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Classic and Delicious.