New England's 2014 Zwanze Day Locations

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by jomobono, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (247) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

September 20th
    Armsby Abbey -- Worcester, Massachusetts
    Hill Farmstead Brewery -- Greensboro, Vermont
    Lord Hobo - Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Novare Res Bier Café -- Portland, Maine

I just had to copy and paste from last year.

2. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

One of these things is not like the others.

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,997) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I'm planning on getting in line at Lord Hobo at 10 am this year. I got there around 11:30 and it was standing room only. One of my buddy's was running late (about ten minutes behind us) and there was a line and they were at capacity. Hopefully I can secure a table.

Rekrule likes this.
  4. blckout20

blckout20 Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Connecticut

I'll hopefully be at Armsby this year. Excited to try this years blend (3 year Iris with some Kriek then dry hopped).

Stum-pub and Guzzle_McBrew like this.
  5. blynchus

blynchus Disciple (324) Jul 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

What exactly is Zwanze Day? I know it's a release of a rare beer but what is the format of the event? Can't seem to find any official information

6. hawkfarmorganic

hawkfarmorganic Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Maine

Novare is the place to be on that day. Get there early.

Stum-pub likes this.
  7. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

Either Novare or Armsby for me, hopefully @blckout20 and I can find some responsible soul to ensure we make it out alive.

Stum-pub likes this.
  8. hawkfarmorganic

hawkfarmorganic Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 Maine

I'd like to know which bars will have what a little in advance but I know that's a lot to ask. :slight_frown:

9. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

my game plan, as usual, is to hit up the abbey the day after the event. last year they had three or four left overs. mmm left overs.

PulseBrewWriter, MattXT and concealed like this.
  10. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (369) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

So....this is now going to be the last stop on the way home from my "mini moon" in bar Harbor after the wedding...perfect

11. parris

parris Zealot (545) Jan 18, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's the release day of Cantillon's Zwanze, they select meeting places all over the world and everybody does a cheers at the same time. I think it's roughly 4:30pm EST. I'm not sure if every place does it, but there was a rotating video feed of all the events at Hill Farmstead last year.

http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_21

12. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

If anyone is looking to practice celebrating, there is one bottle of 2013 Fou' Foune at the Hawthorne in Kenmore. There were two as of last night, but my fianceee and I shared one.

thegoon55, Savearth and Guzzle_McBrew like this.
  13. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (820) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

The 2014 Zwanze is a remake of Cuvee de Florian, a blend of the following:

Three year old Iris which was *not* originally dry-hopped (i.e., Iris Grand Cru which was served at some places for Zwanze 2013). The portion for this blend was dry hopped at the time of the blend at a rate ~ 20% of that for normal Iris.

and

Kriek with ~ 50% of the normal amount of cherries added.

14. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Defender (602) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Just to be clear. The tapping of Zwanze is at 4:30 and you need to be there at 10 to get a seat? And they let you stay there that long? Is Zwanze tapped early and the toast is at 4:30? Or is it tapped at like 4 for a 4:30 serving?

15. AlcahueteJ

Society

I believe it's 3:30 pm. They don't open until 11, so you're there for about 4.5 hours. I've never actually stayed, so I can't comment on what they let you do, but from previous threads they let you stay

I got there around 1 pm two years ago and it was standing room only. I got there at 11:30 am last year, and while there wasn't a line, it was full and again it was standing room only. I'm going to go at 10 am this year to hopefully snag a table or maybe a bar seat. It gets more popular each year, so who knows this year.

16. EnronCFO

Thanks. Looks like Armsby doesn't allow people to camp out all day, which is a much better way to approach it, IMO.

17. messrock

messrock Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

The big difference is Armsby touts itself as a restaurant where Hobo is a beer bar that happens to have good to better than average food if you want it.

Was planning to hit Hobo this year, but lining up at 10AM just isn't worth it. I'll just try to go later and get the leftovers.

18. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Fingers crossed for the HF event!

sandman3479 likes this.
  19. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

does hobo let you bring bottles to share?

20. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

no

21. RKing44

RKing44 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts

There is no need to line up at 10. Idk why people are suggesting this. The last 3 years I have shown up between 1130-130 and have been just fine. It's going to be crowded but everyone will get to enjoy. Relax peeps!

Stum-pub likes this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

Society

You got a table?

23. RKing44

I put in for one and then bar seats opened up. People will come and go. A little composure will go a long way.

24. noob

noob Initiate (152) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

There were 30+ people lined up at Lord Hobo last year at 10am. They year before I went at 1pm and was the last one in, the first year I went at 3pm and the bar was barely full and the Cantillon was FLOWING.

25. AlcahueteJ

Society

Ah ok. How many people? The first year I was with 5 people, who mainly wanted lunch, and we got there at 12:30 and it was standing room only. So it wasn't really up to me. Last year like I said, I arrived at 11:30 to no line, and it was standing room only. We again wanted lunch, but were willing to wait, except our other friend didn't get there until noon, and there was a line to get in. I can't speak for other people, but based on previous threads, and my own experience you should get there early if you want to eat lunch and if you have more than two people with you.

And this is what I've experienced as well, increasing popularity year to year.

26. EnronCFO

Flashbacks to Kate the Great days. Used to grab bottles on the way into work and then grab a few at the bar after work. Two more years and people will be sleeping on the streets for Zwanze Day!

27. RKing44

Sadly, with threads like this it wouldn't surprise me.

28. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

This attitude always strikes a nerve with me. I heard the same thing when I was standing in line for 2 hours at Hill Farmstead on a Thursday afternoon. "It sucks now that this is so popular. Remember when it was just like the five of us blah blah blah..." Consider yourself lucky that you experienced what you did. Don't complain that a site that is supposed to advocate for good beer is actually working.

29. RKing44

Completely different scenarios my friend. People can do whatever they want, no matter how unnecessary their actions are. Standing in front of a bar hours before it opens isn't exactly what I call a progression of the craft beer community.

Seanniek91 likes this.
  30. EnronCFO

Except that the founders of this site were among the many people to complain about the ridiculousness that KtG Day turned into. I don't think the goal of beer advocacy was ever to make it more difficult to get access to good beer.

Seanniek91 likes this.
  31. Andrew041180

Yes, people can do what they want. I don't consider that sad. The attitude that strikes a nerve with me is that you find it sad that lots more people want to experience what you used to experience. Of course sites like this are going to contribute to demand. With that demand will come either increasing lines, or increasing costs. Sometimes both.

32. Andrew041180

I don't know about KtG day. Perhaps if I had joined this site earlier I would know what you're talking about. Maybe I would have even contributed to the ridiculousness. My concern isn't with a particular event, it is with an attitude.

33. RKing44

I don't care that more people want to enjoy. Or if they want to wait, all I'm saying is it isn't necessary.

34. Andrew041180

Well then, I hope you're right. I hope that the people who show up at a reasonable time don't get shut out.

35. AlcahueteJ

Society

Standing in line at 10 am when they open at 11 am to get lunch is hours?

RKing44 likes this.
  36. RKing44

Enjoy your Zwanze Day!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

LH's tap list for the event last year didn't keep me interested very long. I think I ordered a couple Trillium beers and shared a bottle of Grassroots saison. The past two Zwanze beers were sort of just OK. Also, lots of line cutting outside which is pretty much bullshit for a situation like that.

If they still do the 2nd tapping at 5 or 6 I might try and do that. Lining up in the morning and waiting around is really not worth it anymore.

38. EnronCFO

Nice nitpick. But I believe Armsby said they were serving lunch until 2 or so and wouldn't allow people to camp out at tables for the tapping until after lunch hours. So yes, you could be outside waiting for hours.

PulseBrewWriter likes this.
  39. sandman3479

sandman3479 Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut

Same.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  40. PulseBrewWriter

PulseBrewWriter Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Last year I could not make it and missed Zwanze Day at Armsby. They had a few varieties of Cantillon still on tap the next day. Just sayin...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.