New favorite Beer Pairings? GO!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by MyBar, Jan 11, 2019.

1. MyBar

MyBar Initiate (35) Jan 7, 2019 California

New to Ba, just posted my first rating. I'm not new to beer and I've come a long way from keg stands, organizing annual 12 bar pub crawls on my birthday, winning at left/right/center, beer pong, defending my title of flip cup champ etc... but these days with long working hours and a toddler at home, I have (mostly) grown up from my bingeing ways to actually tasting and enjoying beer and especially pairing great beer with delicious foods! I would love to know your Go To Pairing recommendations, all time favorites, unexpected combinations, etc. I am enamored with the Science of Beer and how it interacts with food, friends, and life!

2. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,754) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Welcome and Cheers from CT!

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a good cheeseburger is always a favorite.

riptorn, dcotom, MyBar and 1 other person like this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Hello MyBar, welcome to BA. My general rule with food parings is to make the dish central and choose a beer that complements. For instance with a highly spiced dish (Szechuan) I would not choose a highly hopped beer because the hops will conflict with rather than balance with the dish. On the other hand a highly hopped beer does work with a cheese burger with it's milder seasonings and higher fat content. Keep us posted about your progress.

riptorn, dcotom, MyBar and 1 other person like this.
  4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,285) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Welcome to the BA site, MyBar. There used to be a Beer-Food Pairings forum here on BA but it was recently combined with the Beer Talk forum because it was not frequented very often by members. Here is a link to a search that I did of the Beer Talk forum using 'food' as the search word for all threads that use that word in the thread's title. https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/search/85963221/?q=food&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=39

If none of these threads are to the point of your question you can start a new thread in that forum where it will get greater reading than here in the New Member forum.

For my response, I'll add the classic beer & pizza, and usually a hoppy beer is my choice. There is no better pairing than that.

riptorn, Squire, dcotom and 1 other person like this.
  5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Welcome, @MyBar! I'm beginning to appreciate the farmhouse ale as an all- around table beer, and I think I could enjoy a brut IPA with just about anything. I wish I could find more examples of the grisette, although the modern interpretations of this style may be speculative (or so I've read). My all-time favorites, though, would probably be a grilled T-bone with a bold Cabernet Sauvignon and grilled (rare) lamb chops with a spicy Malbec. :wink:

Cheers!

MyBar, riptorn, Squire and 1 other person like this.
  6. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (107) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Welcome to Beer Advocate MyBar.
    My current favorite pairing is a thick and rich coffee stout with a medium-rare 1-3/4" thick ribeye lightly smoked with apple wood.

dcotom, MyBar, Squire and 1 other person like this.
  7. JodiB

JodiB Initiate (33) Dec 20, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

We grilled NY strips and split a DFH's Raison D'Extra, since that is what it was brewed for. Wowee! What a treat! and this beer is only going to get better with some age. It is very much like a bold red wine. Great pairing!

dcotom, MyBar and PapaGoose03 like this.
  8. MyBar

[QUOTE="My general rule with food parings is to make the dish central and choose a beer that complements." [/QUOTE]

This is a good general rule, but I like to mix things up and select my beer first and then plan a meal around it! I have a fantastic bottle shop in my neighborhood and have been inspired to put together several courses based around one or 2 beer selections. It's pretty fun!

dcotom and Squire like this.
  9. MyBar

This sounds great, my mouth actually started watering with this description. Thanks!

JodiB likes this.
  10. MyBar

PapaGoose03 likes this.