New Glarus (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MilwaukeeBeerMaker, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (664) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I didn't read every last post above, but most. To ME, this isn't about whether you know your body and whether you should or shouldn't drive when you feel the 'buzz'. -It's about how long you take to drink something.

Suppose you quaff quick. If you're planning to drive afterward, and you're deadset on trying beer X, there's a pretty big difference between enjoying a 10% abv stout vs. a 15% abv stout at 5-7oz total consumption. At 10%, you're at right around 1 "drink", whereas at 15%, you're really at 2.

This applies to any style. Some saisons are certainly around 5%, while others are closer to 9%. Having 12oz of a 5% beer is, again, like 1 drink whereas that 9% is really like 2.

MKE_Hopspur likes this.
  2. Beer_Economicus

Trader

By the way, this applies even when you're not driving, and even not for beer. Suppose I'm taking care of my daughter at home, and I want to still be able to drive should I need to. This is important information in terms of how long I should take to consume it. -And, again, doesn't have to be beer. Suppose I pour myself a shot of bourbon. It matters quite a bit if that bourbon is a 100proof BIB or a 140-proof hazmat. It matters.

Number1Framer and GuyFawkes like this.
  3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,153) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Gambling on "quaffing" between a 10 and 15% beer -- I'm definitely in a surreal realm here. I guess "dead set" on trying a beer says it all.

4. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,348) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Can we just call a f***ing truce here?

bound4er and Beer_Economicus like this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Trader

absolutely. Especially if the truce spells out that we’re right. :wink:
    But seriously, there are rev beers about to be released. More important things to do.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  6. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Initiate (196) Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Trader

More importantly, when is NG going to start putting calories and carbs numbers on their bottles. I mean I’m cool with drinking a beer with 300 calories and 27 carbs but if it’s 315 calories and 32 carbs, no thank you. I just wish we could know.

7. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Devotee (425) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

How come were not discussing how impressive Gyrator Doppel is? or is not?
    Beers like this brewed in the USA don't come along often.

8. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (129) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

That beer is damn good. Too bad I only grabbed a 6'er.

Also found some Kid Kolsch still around. Still good.

9. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (9,196) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Ok I'mma boutta be ISO

10. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (139) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

Chances of finding Pear ‘21 or Strawberry Rhubarb at this point? You guys seeing them around still?

Up in Door County for a couple days!

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  11. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,278) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Was just up there this past weekend and found both of those. Picked up Strawberry Rhubarb at the Wine Cellar in Sturgeon Bay - I think they had Pear 21 as well.

Main Street Market in Egg Harbor has a great craft selection ... and is always my go to spot in Door County. The Piggly Wiggly in Sister Bay is also pretty decent and generally had the New Glarus stuff you're looking for.

Also, if you get the chance - not NG related - but, the Door County Brewing Tap Room in Baileys Harbor is well worth stopping in - its a really nice spot.

12. csmakio

Thank you! Was able to grab everything I was looking for plus some Gyrator at Wine Cellar.

Planning to head up north at some point, have never made it to Egg Harbor. Look forward to trying the other recommendations.

13. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (3,031) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just had Gyrator... It's excellent. That is all.

14. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (388) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

Both readily available at Woodman’s Kenosha.

steveh and FBarber like this.
  15. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

Did everyone see the announcement that nuclear us is opening back up! I want to know what’s going to be in the beer depot.

Hopefully some fruit R&D sours that have been bottle conditioning since they didn’t get released the last two summers…

If anybody swings in to the beer depot please report back! Thank you in advance.

wisconsinbeer1 and Number1Framer like this.
  16. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Initiate (196) Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Trader

nuclear us. Took me a bit. Lol

17. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

Haha! Autocorrect changed New Glarus! Too funny

18. csmakio

I love Northern Wisconsin, what a trip.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Was able to make it up to Egg Harbor and Sister Bay for Fall Fest. Both towns were absolutely gorgeous, need to plan another trip North soon.

Grabbed a couple drinks and apps at Shipwrecked in Egg Harbor, their loaded chili kettle chips were absolutely killer. Checked out Mainstreet Market on the way out of town and they definitely had a great selection of beer. Fantastic bakery there too.

Charlies Smokehouse in Ellison Bay was a great find. Grabbed some smoked atlantic salmon which I haven't dug into yet but the smoked Tullibee is damn tasty.

We were lucky enough to checkout Fall Fest on Friday in Sister Bay. After driving back down south from Whitefish Dunes on Saturday and seeing the traffic on 42 it looks like we choose the right day. Wild Tomato was a really great recommendation. I loved the pizza it was really special stuff, the brews were just as good. Was pretty impressed with the hazy I had from Badger State brewing. Onpar with some offerings we get here on the regular in Chicago.

Really loving Pear 21' actually wish I bought a bit more. The nose on it is incredible, taste is a bit sweet but not cloying. I grabbed Peach 21' last time I was in Wisconsin and I definitely prefer Pear. Strawberry Rhubarb is solid as always. Have not cracked Gyrator yet but plan to in the next day or two.

19. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,228) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

https://twitter.com/LouisGarcia12/status/1450858310014472198

Looks like there are some R&D’s!

20. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (443) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

21. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

22. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,674) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Not to start another "do they need to put that information on the bottle" argument, but what's up with not saying which fruits are in the fruit melange besides the fact that they have pits? It'd be good to know if I'm getting myself into an olive and avocado beer.

23. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

I agree. Don’t makes us guess what it is. It’s not like a pitted fruit blend is a New Glarus secret recipe. I would like to know what I am buying. Skip the criptic mumbo jumbo please

GuyFawkes likes this.
  24. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (150) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Has NG ever done any kind of BA stout?

25. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,444) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I submitted the name fruit déchet. Must have been nixed.

FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  26. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (66) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Popped in the Depot after a hike. There were three R&Ds--the ones listed above. I didn't see anything special like Zwickel. I got one of the stout and the pit-fruit sour, and two Vintages.

I've already had one of the Vintages. It's very good, again. Maybe it's just that it's been a while since I had a Vintage, but I say they nailed it again.

Dessert stouts aren't my thing but I'm certainly willing to try this one.

People will be happy to know that the %s are on the bottles

27. Juicer

Juicer Initiate (148) Apr 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

How does the inventory look? Thinking of stopping in on Monday.

28. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (66) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

Multiple levels of boxes, you should be fine Monday.

Edit: they're not open on the weekend, right? I was there 3 pm Friday so essentially 100% all three will be there Monday.

#148 dcw6363, Oct 23, 2021 at 2:05 AM
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021 at 2:11 AM
  29. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,228) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I was there Thursday. Was so bummed I didn’t seen any pilsners. Was hoping for some Hometown Blonde.

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.