New Glarus to start canning Moon Man & Spotted Cow

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Hoolie5, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codyiii420

Codyiii420 Initiate (43) Mar 15, 2011 Wisconsin

Great news! Wonder why it took so long!

2. basaywhat

basaywhat Poo-Bah (1,958) May 20, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is great news. Easier to "smuggle" across the border.

3. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,883) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

that's some damn fine beer, maybe the can will make it more attractive to throw in as a trade extra

hustadaj and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  4. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,195) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Moon Man is my go to pale ale. Can't live without it. Excited to see this in cans!

jRocco2021 likes this.
  5. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

MoonMan will be lighter in my golf bag now, I'm all for it!

jRocco2021, Mike1512 and Wolfhead like this.
  6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

Sounds like I am going to need to make a run soon.

jimmyfishkin likes this.
  7. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Here's hoping 16 oz Tall-boys of Scream IIPA are next :slight_smile:

8. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

I love that they are canning moon man first and not spotted cow. This might just make up for the lack of dancing man this summer.

forrestbetts, Yohann and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,492) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

Going to great in the canoe!

10. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

The hype over this brewery is not warranted in my opinion. It's only there because you can't get them outside WI. I've had many of their offerings; not one stands out.

11. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,827) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Precisely what offerings have you had? I've had many of their offerings and every single one of them stood out.

12. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Looks like 'standing out' is in the taste buds of the drinker. But IMO they do get a boost for being available only in WI.

13. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,827) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Yes, obviously- to each their own. Taste is very subjective.

I was just surprised to see that statement- as I've always felt that New Glarus was one of the best and most well-rounded brewers of all styles in the country.

skawars1 and eldoctorador like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

FWIW I am of the opinion that New Glarus makes high quality beers across the board. I suppose they get the most 'buzz' for their beers brewed with fruit? I have had over a half dozen of their brands (not Spotted Cow) and IMO every one of those beers were top notch. The fact that they are priced economically is a real bonus!

Cheers!

jdhoke, PseudoBen, jRocco2021 and 2 others like this.
  15. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (786) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

Their affordable and delicious 4 pack sours and non shit show R/D releases clearly suck. More for us. Thank you.

Angerhaus, skawars1, sonoma01 and 3 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I agree!!

Cheers!

GreesyFizeek likes this.
  17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

It is. I visited last summer. Quite impressive - both the beer and the facility. But whatever you read here remember - it's just an opinion.

GreesyFizeek likes this.
  18. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (290) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Yawn. Wake me when they start shipping their fruited beers to my state.

19. Barrel_Aged_Bulldog

Barrel_Aged_Bulldog Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2015 Wisconsin

This is good news. These will be even more perfect for Brewers tailgates.

20. Fartknocker

Fartknocker Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I don't totally agree but I also see where you may be coming from. Some of their main releases the past few years (Totally Naked, Cabin Fever, Back 40, Snowshoe, Apple Ale, etc) are a bit underwhelming IMHO. I used to buy a lot of New Glarus but not lately; Dancing Man and not much else.

21. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

can you name a better beer at a better price in the same style as any of theirs? how bout a better run specialty release? how bout a cooler/prettier location for a brewery?

forrestbetts likes this.
  22. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

this is the Great Lakes forum....

s_wit, beardown2489, sonoma01 and 4 others like this.
  23. Scott17Taylor

I would agree none of the beers I've had from them have been anything mindblowing, but everything from them is very good.

Angerhaus, NickTheGreat and FBarber like this.
  24. TrapJaw77

Spotted Cow, Two Women, Moon Man, Fat Squirrel, Dancing Man, Scream. Again, they were just okay.

Breweries that do better overall across the spectrum: Lagunitas, Stone, 3F, Cigar City, Deschutes. Those just come off the top of mind.

25. stone4789

stone4789 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Wisconsin

I wish they'd devote more energy to making more variety. Moon Man and Spotted Cow are your cash cows, we get it already. I'd trade NG for Stone or Cigar City any day. Like many craft brews in Wisconsin, the hype is STRONG relative to quality.

26. dtjager

dtjager Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Illinois

What's weird about your list is that none are local to IL? I guess Lagunitas and we seem to adopt FFF for some reason but what about Revolution, Half Acre etc. where do they rate compared to NG?

27. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (491) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Maybe they'll start to distro??? :grinning:

Seriously though, they are a good brewery and make some darn good beers. They do benefit somewhat from the Law of Exclusivity. But what brewery doesn't?

28. TrapJaw77

I'd rate Revolution's always available stuff as okay as well. I do like Fist City, but I'm not much into anything else they have regularly available. I wish Half Acre did more in cans rather than bombers as I tend to purchase more cans then I do bombers. Half Acre seems to make so many PA, IPAs and I'm not sure I've had any of their malty offerings.

29. Skins

Skins Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2010 Wisconsin

If by across the spectrum and 3F, you mean everything is over-hopped, I'd agree :wink:

Don't get me wrong i love their beer as much as the next guy, for the hops though, not their ability to nail every particular style

30. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (797) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

You mean make more IPAs?

They're pretty varied if you ask me. They do a lot of "non trendy" styles, and I respect them for that. I'm, for once, glad that they are not one of the many "well reputed" breweries that just make IPAs and Imperial Stouts.

31. Dachs

Dachs Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Ohio

Hater. Considering the fact that people travel from all over the country to Wisconsin to buy New Glarus beer and have been begging them to start distributing outside of Wisconsin, youre clearly in the minority there.

s_wit and dmbforever like this.
  32. Dachs

Dachs Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Ohio

Personally, Im not a huge fan of canned beer but cans certainly travel better than glass bottles do and as others have said, would make it easier to, "smuggle" them for those who choose to do that.

33. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin

None of the beers that you mentioned (maybe with the exception of Scream) are really beers that built the New Glarus hype. You should try some of their Thumbprints / R&D beers before saying that they don't deserve the hype, since those are the beers that have really built the hype for New Glarus. Other factors that have contributed to the hype are the gorgeous brewery, the Price point of their beer (Wild Peach and VSB were both $8 bottles, they easily could have doubled that price and still sold out at the brewery), and the accessibility of their beer. The last point is definitely related to being WI only but it is great. When something like Cran-bic is released, you will see it all over the state and have plenty of opportunities to buy as much as you would like. If they had national distro, lots of the thumbprints (like Cran-bic) would probably turn into limited releases with limits and all of that nonsense.

I personally prefer NG to at least Lagunitas and Stone from your list (they are both somewhat one trick ponies), NG is a much more well rounded brewery IMHO

sonoma01 likes this.
  34. TrapJaw77

But that's exactly my point. The fact that they are in Wisconsin only adds so much to the hype. If available all over the place I'm not sure the hype exists.

35. beermanben

beermanben Disciple (340) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

That statement could be true for most breweries. Hype typically follows rarity. I'm with others who would commend New Glarus for not chasing trends/hype and brewing unique beers. Is every beer they brew world class?...of course not...but for the most part what they do is consistently good.

cl3 likes this.
  36. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (149) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Agree with this statement, hate those of us who agree for all you will but its true. And yes I've had their thumbprint stuff, special stuff yada yada, nothing special at all.

To those of you asking for examples of better stuff: Anything Central Waters, Oso, blow away NG beers. Those are just the first 2 locals that come to mind without spending much time on it. Sure it might be a shiny place to visit and whatnot but that ain't gonna get the bucks outta my wallet. I can't even remember the last time I bought a NG beer its been that long. More for the rest of you is right and you can have it! Haha

stone4789 and TrapJaw77 like this.
  37. Scott17Taylor

I would buy anti hero all the time if they were in Iowa.

Bearshawks85 likes this.
  38. Scott17Taylor

Everything new glarus gets hype out of Wisconsin, people go nuts for spotted cow, dancing man, and all the core beers as well. Dancing man is a very very good beer and I feel it deserves it's high rating. I definitely agree though the thumbprints and fruits are what built the hype.

39. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (116) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

Sort of interesting seeing as very few beers from those three breweries overlap each other.
    NG basically fills the gaps of what everybody else doesn't make.

FBarber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.