New Glarus to start canning Moon Man & Spotted Cow

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Hoolie5, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

Fuckin' hilarious.

hustadaj, Ssstraub, Angerhaus and 6 others like this.
  2. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (149) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Glad you think so, means your easy to amuse! By all means continue to bash each other over simple opinions. Its the adult thing to do here.

3. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

A thread about the great news of NG finally canning has really takes a turn.

4. AstraXtreme

AstraXtreme Initiate (116) Mar 21, 2014 Wisconsin

I wouldn't take it personally. Everything in beer is pretty much subjective. In the end, it's all about what satisfies your taste buds most. I think the point people are making though is that NG is typically higher up on the list of "quality" breweries than O'so and CW. Besides the hype factor created by us beer nerds, NG usually has great execution of beers to style. That's in contrast to other breweries that push the envelope of craft beer with their own unique rendition of a style.

Anyway, when the hell can I get Moon Man in a can?!?!

smurfbeer likes this.
  5. WI-Beer-Man

WI-Beer-Man Initiate (0) May 29, 2014 Wisconsin

Please provide an example or two of a specific O'So beer is better than its New Glarus counterpart. Your comment has me curious...

beardown2489 likes this.
  6. AstraXtreme

In b4 Big O vs ___ discussion commences. :stuck_out_tongue:

7. Yohann

Yohann Aspirant (217) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin

As far as I can tell, most of the people who don't get why New Glarus is held in so high regard, don't really understand some of the styles they brew, or how Dan Carey manages to hit the nail right on the head for those styles, time after time.

8. 77apm

77apm Devotee (481) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Well said! I never cared for lagers, hefeweizens, kellerbiers, Flanders reds, brown ales, bocks and so on until having NG ones. Now I'm more open minded about different styles but still go back to Dan's beers everytime. A beautiful, sunny day off usually means a drive to the brewery for beers and lunch outside on the patio. And with how NG is priced compared to the rest then how can one go wrong. Bring on the cans, a 6er of Moon Man will fit perfectly in my tackle bag for fishing.

9. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,612) Apr 23, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I understand that NG makes awesome German style beers but the whole argument on that front seems negligible to me because their fruit beers are so world class. I'm still confused by the fact that there isn't any other beer similar to Belgian Red, Raspberry Tart & Serendipity. Those beers are so amazing that the rest of their portfolio could just be winter warmer and they'd still be one of the best breweries in the country.

Hendrick24 and Ri0 like this.
  10. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

I would like anyone to show me a better brewed Hefe or Berliner in all of the US. They only ones that come close are brewed in their original homeland.

Also, find me a better (non sour) fruit beer than the 3 that New Glarus brews. Every brewery makes an IPA and a Stout, except for New Glarus.

11. Ri0

Oh please NOOOOO!

SeanBond and jRocco2021 like this.
  12. Smitch

Smitch Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2014 Wisconsin

Shit, I'm still over here like ISO Winter Warmer...

13. Neverdie7

Dominator dopplebock, Night Rain, DANK, Lupulin Maximus... Shall I go on? Nothing NG has come even close to these beers. And don't even get my started on what CW has that's better because that's just lol.

14. AstraXtreme

What are you comparing those against? NG doesn't make a dopplebock, imperial stout, or imperial red. One could make a valid argument about Scream IIPA vs Lupulin, but have you ever had Lupulin several months old? It's really bad. Ever had Scream several months old? It's still very good.

Ssstraub, s_wit, SeanBond and 12 others like this.
  15. WI-Beer-Man

The regular non-thumbprint lineup isn't "sexy" (i.e. barrel aged stouts, DIPAs , but they are damn fine brews
    Yes, please go on. Which NG beers of the same style are you comparing them to?

I have a tough time believing that many people think that Lupulin Maximus is better than Scream.

To be a comparison, I would think you would want to compare similar styles.

And yes, please do a comparison of Central Waters beers to New Glarus with that same thought process...similar beer vs similar beer.

If not, then VSB aka Sour Fruit, ends the comparison of the 3 breweries because it is better than any beer ever made in the state.

antoines15 likes this.
  16. Neverdie7

I don't have time to engage in a pissing match about opinions about opinions. You have your opinions, I have mine. I think NG sucks, you like it. Great. Move on. Have fun with it, adios.

17. AstraXtreme

That wasn't the most sexy admission of defeat, but we'll take it.

antoines15, Ssstraub, s_wit and 3 others like this.
  18. WI-Beer-Man

I'm not trying to fight. I'm asking legitimate questions regarding your claim.

If there is an O'So beer or Central Waters beer that is better than its New Glarus counterpart (similar style), I would love to try it.

In addition, I would agree that Central Waters' barrel aged stouts BLOW AWAY the stouts from New Glarus... :wink:

FBarber likes this.
  19. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (431) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

That's a funny opinion that I'm guessing most laughed at. Two Women is a fantastic, dancing man world class, CST squirrel a fine example.

20. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

Oh, and Black Top too.

Perhaps the problem is all the lagers. Maybe my taste buds just don't dig them in general.

21. Angerhaus

Angerhaus Crusader (737) Oct 1, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

That's gonna be a long wait for a train not comin'

22. Ri0

Well...Your avatar pic would like a word with this statement. :wink:

Anyway, if I want a lighter lager (hello Staghorn!), there is only one brewery in WI I am purchasing it from.

The dopplebock mentioned cracks me up since another brewery makes THE best in the state...Capital.

23. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (431) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Capitol makes a good lager. Can't deny that. I always end up with metropolitan in my hand though. I haven't had it yet this year but that maibock is really solid. Not many of those on the shelves

24. stone4789

stone4789 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Apparently they're doing a multimillion dollar expansion into distilling. Makes their small lineup more understandable.

25. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Interesting. Given Dan's love of all things German and Belgian, I'm curious to see what he comes up with for spirits. Hopefully he has a secret love for good bourbon.

26. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,392) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Recent article with some details.

27. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Geez, why don't you just admit that you don't like variety?

hustadaj, jRocco2021 and Ri0 like this.
  28. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Next time, just say that you don't like the styles of beer that New Glarus brews. That way, you won't look so dumb.

29. RyanDe680

RyanDe680 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Illinois

^this

jRocco2021 likes this.
  30. CraigP83

CraigP83 Defender (612) Dec 19, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Any updates on when we can expect Moon Man cans to hit? on the boat last night I was day dreaming how nice it would be to have a cold can of that stuff

SeanBond likes this.
  31. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,092) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I never understand why these threads inevitably end up with an argument about how X brewery "is better, anyway." I'll be the first to admit that NG doesn't make the "sexiest" beers (and by sexiest, I mean the ones that scream "extreeeeeeeeeme American craft!" like I typically gravitate towards), but they do awesome versions of beers that are really true to style, and their stuff is so good that it's gotten me into beer styles I don't normally care for (fruit beers and wheat beers ala Dancing Man). Do I love Spotted Cow? Hell no, but it's also not a style of beer I love. It's delicious for what it is, and is a perfect (just like Moon Man) candidate for canning (a CANdidate, if you will!).

The thing that makes NG special is that there's a timeless quality to their beers. They may not blow you away every time, but it's hard to drink one and not be satisfied (whereas I've had plenty of "more exciting" beers and thought, "this is good, but X beer is better.").

FBarber likes this.
  32. cl3

cl3 Disciple (328) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Welcome to BA.

hustadaj, A_Rad and SeanBond like this.
  33. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,442) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Can't wait till they do this, and will pick some up in Hudson when they do.

34. Harlan_Pepper

Harlan_Pepper Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Indiana

Everyone's taste is different. Personally, I think Scream is better than anything from Three Floyds, but that's just me. It's not something I'd go out of my way to trade for, but I thought it was an above-average IIPA.

I went through a sixer of Spotted Cow and never did care much for it, but this is still great news for those who like it. More beers in cans is always a great thing!

hustadaj likes this.
  35. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (786) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

Mid June people, mid June.

smurfbeer and FBarber like this.
  36. kodymupa

kodymupa Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2010 Illinois

Would like for it to be same weekend as R&D release...one can dream

37. ChummersPGuy

ChummersPGuy Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2013 Wisconsin

We were at the brewery last weekend, and they canned 400 barrels last Thurs/Fri. They said 2-3 weeks.

38. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin

Not sure if this image doesn't do the look of cans justice, but they are looking rough.
    http://shepherdexpress.com/blog-12829-women-in-beer-deb-carey.html

39. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

40. AstraXtreme

Oh baby, dat gradient doe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.