New Holland Brewing Debuts Dragon's Milk White

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (681) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hmmmmm

Not a fan of this white stout thing

This beer is interesting though. At 6% if it has the stout feel and taste and a nice barrel it could be the “new” thing.

Price wise the regular DS in bottled 4 packs is around $16-18, what will this 6 pack of 6% cost?

Enjoy

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,221) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I look forward to trying this, mainly due to it being a low-ABV BA stout. Pretty much all of my cellar beers are BA stouts/porters, and they're typically 9-18% ABV. If White Dragon is decent tasting, I'll get this by the case.

JodiB likes this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,369) Dec 25, 2003 California

Gimmick.

pjeagles and DISKORD like this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,221) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I had a Zipline White Stout the other day, but not BBA. It was OKish. It had a tangy flavor that I attribute to the espresso, though not sure why espresso would be tangy. Sure wasn't the chocolate.

5. RobH

RobH Disciple (340) Sep 23, 2006 Maryland

My two cents:

Here in the U.S. we naturally think of Stout-style beers as dark in color, given that's what the style "Stout" has essentially always been in this country (as far as I know), e.g., Guinness.

That said, historically speaking, the word - stout - originally referred not to the beer's color or style, but rather to the strength (ABV) of the beer. Therefore, in old Europe (mainly Britain), a stout beer was a strong beer of any color.

So, historically speaking, a pale stout (AKA white stout in today's vernacular) is not a new invention. And by most people's standards, including in context of "session beers," 6% ABV+ is a strong beer.

6. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,698) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Goofy, gimmicky, fun, whatever. I've had some in this "style" that have been quite good. I'll certainly give this a shot when I see it in my area. Lighten up, Francis.

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,387) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Wasn't just Europe or the UK, nor that long ago :wink::
    [​IMG]

Minnesota's Gluek Stite (one of the earliest high-ABV malt liquors and one of the infamous "Green Death" nicknamed beers) was originally called Gluek Stout, until the Feds objected.

RobH, tmalt and Bitterbill like this.