New in Kentucky

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhens0016, Apr 10, 2016.

1. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (644) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Last Year's Was Better is really damn good. It's not cloudy or turbid, but I liked it a lot. It is on at Ethereal as well. CBB is doing howler fills.

2. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (432) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

No haze, no craze

ElijahSF likes this.
  3. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (248) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Have to agree with you, I think it might be my favorite hoppy beer out of Lexington. Juicy and crushable!

4. IMFletcher

Trader

Well, maybe not crushable at 8.8%, LOL

5. Nhens0016

Trader

Anyone try any new beers recently? Just had some Columbus Bodhi and creeper, def liked Bodhi!!

djtothemoney likes this.
  6. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (140) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

I'll probably be beer shopping/Louisville & Lexington tripping soon so I'll get back to you on that question.

Bodhi has been on my bucket list for a while now, and after reading about Creeper, that is there now, too. How far south does Columbus distribute, or is just in the Columbus area?

7. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (145) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

I believe it gets some light distro into Dayton. Not much though.

Statonxyb likes this.
  8. Nhens0016

Trader

It sees distribution down to cincy I believe, but Bodhi and creeper were strictly in the Columbus area. I lucked out, traded a 4 pack of creeper to my buddy for some brews back home. Parked my car near another beer store, walked in and they had Bodhi (about 3-4 week old) and I bought that and a couple extra bottles of creeper. To me, Bodhi is the more complex and flavorful beer. I think creeper was good but too much sweetness to me. Definitely recommend getting some to try!

Statonxyb likes this.
  9. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Disciple (301) Aug 12, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

So far we have only seen it on tap in Cincy. I've heard rumors that bottles are coming though.

Statonxyb and djtothemoney like this.
  10. puffthestuff

puffthestuff Initiate (97) Apr 23, 2016 Kentucky

Prairie Pe-Kan is going to release soon its thinner and more Pecan pie colored than oily black. Mouthfeel thin no alcohol burn for me at 11.2% I really enjoyed it the vanilla and pecans definitely come through. I got mine from Indiana though but babe on the look out for this one guys it's a good spring stout.

Bjohnston likes this.
  11. BennyTheJet

BennyTheJet Initiate (56) Oct 17, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Already been released.

IMFletcher likes this.
  12. Nhens0016

Trader

It already dropped in Lexington. Had it and was fan! Their DIPA phantasmagoria, though, I thought was bland at best. I thought it was overly sweet (a lot of crystal malts) and didn't have a good hop profile.

13. Statonxyb

Had Pe-kan and I loved it. Also on tap at 3rd Turn in Louisville last I checked.

14. puffthestuff

I'm a Prairie fanboy guy's specifically their stouts. I hope Pirate bomb Fred's blend and barrel aged bomb release this year so I can have had them all. I need Bible Belt too but part of the fun is trying to gettem! Love prairie. Has anyone seen dreadnaught this year?

15. puffthestuff

And also the phantasmagoria was good last year. Kind of a sweet onion taste unique. I think Prairie shoots for unique not normal.

16. puffthestuff

Born Again Yesterday hit Louisville yesterday lol.

weeble8604 and Statonxyb like this.
  17. IMFletcher

Trader

The new CBB Living Proof: Golden Wild Ale is fantastic. And it's only $10 a bottle. That is all.

18. Nhens0016

Trader

Good! Taking my buddy from home there tonight and glad they have a good bottle for him to take home.

19. IMFletcher

Trader

There's a Living Proof: Strawberry-Ginger on tap now that is sour AF. And the Golden Stout is really good for a gimmicky style.

20. Nhens0016

Trader

The style is unique but I don't care for it. Hmm sounds interesting with the strawberry ginger. Do they still have dynasty on top?

21. weeble8604

weeble8604 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 Kentucky

Where did u see it?

22. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (295) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

They had a couple of cases of it at LB Springhurst as of Friday afternoon.

weeble8604 likes this.
  23. IMFletcher

Trader

Don't remember.

24. IMFletcher

Trader

BennyTheJet and tsgooch79 like this.
  25. Nhens0016

Trader

Ok tried the monnik IPA, did anyone ever get a smokey flavor to it?

26. IMFletcher

Trader

I got off flavors from the can we tried, but not necessarily smokey. Same problem with our can of Homestyle.

27. Nhens0016

Trader

Yeah, my buddy and I got straight smokey grains and hops. I could barely take two sips before i stopped.

I never had any issues with homestyle, except for pouring it in a glass then mistakenly sipping what was left in the can. Straight hop particles that caused me to flush my mouth because it was so astringenty.

28. Statonxyb

This. I've tried a lot of Bearded Iris brews from the can and I usually stop pouring near the end and give it a little shake to tell if I missed any liquid, or if it's sludge. Downside to unfiltered beer I guess, but if you leave a small bit in there, the beers taste great otherwise.

I haven't tried any Monnik IPA lately (assuming they did a new canning run?), but the first batch tasted off.

29. Nhens0016

Trader

The can was dated 3-27-17 so maybe a new canning run?

30. Statonxyb

Definitely a new canning run, then. I'll try and snag an individual can this week and see how it is. They were aware of issues in the initial canning run, so I'm surprised the issues still exist.

31. Nhens0016

Trader

Does anyone know if west sixth greenroom does growler fills? Would love to get some key lime pie-pa!

32. IMFletcher

Trader

Got to try another can of Homestyle last night and it was night/day difference between the last can we had, so much better this time.

33. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (73) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Randomly found a 4 pack of KBS in lex tonight. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Carry on.

34. IMFletcher

Trader

I want to know, but I don't want to know. I'm wanting to buy CBB Golden Wild Ale bottles instead, so don't tell me, lol.

35. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (91) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Tried heller heaven from west sixth and was not a fan. Way too sweet. Rhinegeist Knowledge on the other hand was pretty good. Also had Last years was better at country boy (collab w/ ethereal) and it was really good, think I liked it better than Dynasty.

36. Nhens0016

Trader

Would have to agree one last year's was better. One of the best aroma beers I have had from the state. Been fortunate to have it three times and every time I have it, I like it more and more. Heller heaven is something I feel needs to be consumed as fresh as possible. The sweetness amps up very quickly. Haven't had rhinegeist knowledge yet though, wanting to try it but just brewed an IPA so trying to conserve funds.

37. IMFletcher

Trader

Yeah, Heller has a lot of batch variance, even the ABV changes. I'd give a different batch a shot.

38. puffthestuff

Permanent funeral 4/11/17 at keg liquors got quite a few bottles.

IMFletcher likes this.
  39. bambambambam

bambambambam Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2016 Kentucky

Has beer been outlawed in Kentucky all the sudden what's happening here people

40. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (145) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

My friend tried Snake Cake on a tour of West 6th over the weekend...