1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

New in Kentucky

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhens0016, Apr 10, 2016.

1. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky

And?????

Maestro0708 likes this.
  2. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (248) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Been enjoying home brew so haven't been out. I have been paying attention to the social medias though. Country western 5 - ginger lime gose is being released at west sixth and country boy on may 12th. Puff recently got released (4/20 cAn dates!) ummm haven't seen anything else though. Ohhh mile wide just released a new pale, haven't tried it.

Yeah plenty of fun stuff going on around the state.

3. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (295) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

Hasn't been a lot of new stuff around town I guess. Plus it's Derby week, so bourbon.

4. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (637) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

You guys/gals need to hit Rock House and try the David Stout, it's probably the best stout in the state.

5. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (145) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Said it was one of the best BA beers he has tried. Said he will go to the release when it happens.

6. IMFletcher

Trader

I'm starting to wonder if it will be released at all. It's been maybe 8 months conditioning in the bottle (at least), what's taking so long?

7. Nhens0016

Trader

I am starting to think that I won't be able to get a bottle before I graduate and move in May. Super bummer :/

8. xxbassplayerxx

I enjoyed a pour at Liquor Barn yesterday around 5:00. The keg blew around 6:30.

It was good but not out of this world amazing as many would have you believe. The sweetness was well balanced but there was little to no heat at all from the bourbon. It just tasted like a nice sweet stout--almost like a milk stout.

However, I was drinking it cold since I had to drink it quickly. Letting it warm and grow into the profile would have helped as would having it out of proper glassware (it was served in a 6 oz plastic cup). So no solid conclusion from me yet.

All this taste did was make me want to try it even more when (if ever?) it hits bottles for sale.

9. xxbassplayerxx

I tried to edit my last message but apparently I missed the window for that...

I also tried ATG Jorge Costana, Monnik Oude Sprecht (Corsair Whiskey BA Najaar), and Great Flood BA '37 Porter. Monnik's beer was the standout to me!

10. Nhens0016

Trader

I know country boy is having a couple firkins, but anyone else hear anything special for cinco de mayo in Lexington? Gf and I are looking for some fun activities.

11. Nhens0016

Trader

Snakes in a Barrel is available for growler fills at liquor barn Hamburg. Just saying.... 22 bucks....

djtothemoney and chrismattlin like this.
  12. xxbassplayerxx

Wow. We had it available in Louisville but it was for pours only and it tapped in an hour and a half...

13. Nhens0016

Trader

I have gotten two howlers filled the past 3 days. Beer is on point for 11 dollars for a fill. Went to west sixth on Friday for some snake cake and granted it's fantastic, but it was 7 bucks for a pour. Can't go wrong for the price.

Also, country boy cinco de mayo was great. Had all the beers and think mango nacho bait was my favorite. It was fantastic!

Also, Lex beer week is coming up and some of the highlights for me:

Cocoa baba yaga
    Lime gose with ginger
    Hop cat Braxton tapping

And a couple other events. It's going to be great!

14. IMFletcher

Trader

Here's my LCBW highlights:

Cocoa Baba Yaga
    Cocoa Baba Yaga
    Cocoa Baba Yaga

tsgooch79 and BennyTheJet like this.
  15. xxbassplayerxx

Yeah... I'm going to need to get some of that Cocoa Baba Yaga...

But it's on a Wednesday at 4:00... Think it would be available around 5:00 or 5:30? Thinking about driving down with some friends.

16. IMFletcher

Trader

Purely guessing here, but I'm guessing they have a sixtel of it that will go on Tap Zero. If that's the case, there would be 80-ish pours. Maybe 5, doubtful by 5:30 if that's the case. But this is all speculation here.

xxbassplayerxx likes this.
  17. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (204) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

I know pilsners aren't huge attention-getters, but Falls City's new pilsner, Calliope, is fantastic.

18. xxbassplayerxx

Since they describe it on their calendar as a "release", I was thinking they'd have it in bottles. Did I just assume wrong?

19. IMFletcher

Trader

Yes. This is a one time, tap only release. It *might* show up as a variant next year if it's a big hit this time.

20. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (73) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Looks like the next round of KBS has dropped in the Lex metro for those poor souls that can't quite hoard enough of it.

sefus12 likes this.
  21. Nhens0016

Trader

Had the privilege to try all the dark charges and variants and not a big coconut fan, but that beer won the night. The girlfriend and I agreed it had a little something more than the rest. All were very good though and the maple one, which I thought would have been the best, was middle of the pack.

IMFletcher likes this.
  22. dscott421

Trader

May not be the time or the place but I brought back some trillium and sip of sunshine from a recent trip if anybody wants to do a small IP in Lex.

23. Kleanish

Kleanish Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2017 Mississippi

dm'd

24. IMFletcher

Trader

I tried 3 of them, Vanilla, Ancho, and Coconut. I liked Ancho the best, it tasted like Bomb!, but thought Vanilla was the best constructed. The coconut needed more coconut for me.

25. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (730) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Sun King bourbon timmie with coconut @ middletown liquor barn tomorrow
    new NEIPA, yawkey @ Mile Wide on thursday.

26. Nhens0016

Trader

How's cocoa Baba Yaga?! I am on my way to it!

27. Nhens0016

Trader

Ok so since no one answered, amazing beer. I think the chocolate is there but def not as up front as I was expecting. Still the best BA stout in Lexington side by side with snake cake. Think both of them could stand with any of the heavy hitters.

28. IMFletcher

Trader

Cocoa Baba was excellent. It was a lost '15 barrel, not a '16 or early '17, so the extra age showed a bit. However, in a SBS with the '16 BCBS on tap, Baba was a clear winner, IMO.

Avoid the BA Gravel Pit at Rock House. Instead try their Double Kick Drum and the Cream Ale variants, all of which were very good.

29. IMFletcher

Trader

Oh, and Cocoa Baba blew just after 6 pm if anyone was wondering.

30. dscott421

Trader

Baba was good but I can't help but wonder if the barrel was found, tasted, and then a quick fix was found by adding cocoa. May not be the case but by the end it was rather artificial-powder tasting.

31. IMFletcher

Trader

Baba was a lost 2015 barrel with a cocoa add after they found it, so you're correct. I really liked my glass all the way through, but I think a fresh batch aged a little longer with cocoa, would be great.

The cocoa may change as well. This was provided by a chocolate shop named Ethereal from up in Indiana who sent the sample when they found they shared a name.

32. dscott421

Trader

I guess what I was getting at is the 2015 Baba didn't taste up to par so they hastily added cocoa to try to mask whatever off flavors that it had. I'm probably wrong here or perhaps my hopes were too high, but the "baba" taste wasn't there for me.

33. JeffRoKY

JeffRoKY Initiate (39) May 18, 2017 Kentucky
    Trader

Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to the quest of quality craft beer.
    Up until recently I was the guy that only drank beer to cool off after mowing the grass.

A buddy of mine from Houston came to visit and he and I did a taste test of several crafts - from Anderson Valley to Ballast Point and from Goodwood to DuClaw.

Now I am happy to admit that I have a new passion. Hunting for the complexity, variety and deliciousness of craft beers.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with you guys.

34. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (140) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

Mile Wide's next New England-style IPA releases today at 4PM at the brewery. Limit is 3 crowlers per person on release day.

Additionally, Prarie's Birthday Bomb has hit Louisville (Liquor Barn in Springhurst I'm hearing), and Bearded Iris' Double Homestyle has also been sighted at Liquor Barn Middletown.

--

Tomorrow at Blue Stallion in Lexington, they'll be releasing four bottles, with each of them being fairly limited (upper 200s of each, with the exception of Cyanator).

Snippet from their FB page:

"We're getting excited about the bottle release on Friday (5/19)! These are the brews that will be available in 22 oz bombers starting at noon:

- Gannühn 2017 - 11% ABV Doppelbock lager aged in bourbon barrels
    - Sethiröff 2017 - 10.5% ABV Wee Heavy ale aged in bourbon barrels
    - Velvet Lurker - 9% ABV Russian Imperial Stout with almonds and vanilla beans
    - Cyanator - 9.5% ABV Sour Doppelbock lager aged in rum and smoked barrels with blue berries (Monnik collaboration)

We have a little over 200 bottles of each style except Cyanator, of which there are only 160 bottles. Limit 2 bottles per beer style per customer."

35. IMFletcher

Trader

I'm grabbing 2 Velvet Lurkers.

tsgooch79 likes this.
  36. BennyTheJet

BennyTheJet Initiate (56) Oct 17, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Maybe I missed it but did they say if they would be on tap too?

37. tsgooch79

tsgooch79 Aspirant (272) May 6, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

On tap on Saturday

38. Statonxyb

[​IMG]

They found a nice balance with this one. So far, I'm liking it better than NOMAH!, and it's very close with Tessie. The Azacca and Citra balance is lovely.

IMFletcher likes this.
  39. IMFletcher

Trader

Not turbid though? More like unfiltered?

40. Statonxyb

Yeah. There was minimal turbidity to this one unlike past releases. Unfiltered would be the correct label. I also tried Gothic Castle last night, as well. It was alright, but not as tasty as past west coast IPA releases (perhaps if I had it fresher?). Idlewild Vol. 2 will be up today, as well as Birthday Bomb (local store in Elizabethtown seemed to get it in).

Unrelated, but does Kentucky see Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Across America/World? It took a while to show up last year when I lived in New York, but I was able to score a box. Really looking forward to this years, as it's across the world and includes a Treehouse collaboration.