Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

New in Kentucky

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhens0016, Apr 10, 2016.

1. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (132) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I think he was looking for WB Cake, not the collab with ET.

djtothemoney likes this.
  2. KYCraft

KYCraft Initiate (138) Aug 2, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Anyone been to Gravely at all? Haven't had a chance to go myself and was looking for some reviews.

3. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Disciple (311) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Haven't been, but everything on the Louisville beer groups has been highly complimentary.

4. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (655) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Was looking for actual Cake, not Biscotti Cake. And a guy did hook me up. :slight_smile:

5. bambambambam

bambambambam Initiate (125) Oct 20, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I don't know what I'm talking about, brotha, but glad it worked out for you

6. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

Ethereal Fad-Tastic Vol. 1 drops in bottles at the brewery on Friday at 3. West Sixth drops their 2nd batch of Flanders Red on Friday as well. Plus, Fest of Ales is Friday. I'll be pouring somewhere, if you see me, say hi.

7. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

And there's a new batch of Sail to the Moon on at Ethereal, and it's the silly good hazy citra pale ale you have been seeking. No joke.

BennyTheJet likes this.
  8. dscott421

Beer Trader

Looks like cantillon has came and went throughout KY. Hopefully some of you guys throughout the state were able to snag one.

djtothemoney likes this.
  9. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

Mirror Twin is expected to release their collab with Mile Wide next week. It's really, really good.

10. Lost_Ship

Lost_Ship Initiate (116) Jun 24, 2017 Kentucky

Axis Mundi on tap at the beer trappe

djtothemoney likes this.
  11. dscott421

Beer Trader

The BA version with coffee and vanilla is at Arcadium. Worth the trip.

12. dscott421

Beer Trader

In other kentucky news........... Looks like Ethereal is pumping out the bottles these days. From my count, in just a short time they've released: Peach better have my money, tropical gose, NEIPA, Lambda Oatmeal Stout, and Dog Days guava sour. Good to see out of them!

13. scotti561

scotti561 Initiate (153) Feb 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Anyone remember the cost of bo and luke 4 pack last year or know what they are going for this year? Was it 80?

14. Sturgeon83

Beer Trader

I want to say it was slightly more than that, something like 90. But I don't recall precisely. They haven't announced this year's price AFAIK.

IMFletcher likes this.
  15. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Aspirant (213) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Pre-sale tickets for 2017 Bo & Luke Bottle Release will be available for purchase this Saturday, Sept. 16 at 10 a.m.! These'll give you the secured opportunity to get your hands on a Bo & Luke four pack.

We’re also adding a VIP experience that will blow the daisy dukes right off yer behind! In addition to a secured opportunity to buy a Bo & Luke 4-pack, VIP guests will have access to a private indoor party and exclusive option to purchase Bo & Luke Brewskey, a barrel aged spirit distilled by Copper & Kings from Bo & Luke beer and Cr&ftwerk, a matured brandy aged in Bo & Luke barrels.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boluke-turns-5-tickets-37064842943

As stated above, no word on pricing this year.

16. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

I was among the first 5 in line for Years 2 & 3 for B&L, and I'll not go back until they learn how to run a release. I skipped last year because they insisted on doing it in the middle of the week before Shelton Bros.

17. Sturgeon83

Beer Trader

I was out of town last year and had to have somebody pick up my allotment, but from all reports, it was extremely smooth. This year's event sounds pretty interesting, although the variants sound like the opposite.

18. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

OMG, I just read the variants. Are these Goodwood collaborations?

tsgooch79 likes this.
  19. Statonxyb

Beer Trader

Did you read the actual variant stuff somewhere else or are you commenting on the portion of the Eventbrite page: "The 2017 variants reflect the five-year anniversary gift, wood. The three variants will include Bo & Luke aged on white oak, sassafras wood, and white ash"?

I'll be picking up a VIP ticket and spending a decent bit of the day there. My wife should be on-board to DD as it's so close to my birthday. :grinning:

20. Sturgeon83

Beer Trader

I was going by what they stated on the event page and in the Facebook event. I'm hoping that, if they were aged on wood, they added something else to it, because that doesn't get me real excited.

djtothemoney likes this.
  21. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

Is that not "actual variant stuff" when they post it on the event page?

22. threedaggers

threedaggers Crusader (766) Dec 2, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I went to last year's, which was the day before shelton and a terrible idea, but the release went alright. I think I waited in line for an hour to pick up the pre-sale 4pk. Inside wasn't super busy. It went much smoother than the year before.

23. Statonxyb

Beer Trader

Sorry, when I hear variant I assume <insert X adjunct/additive/other liquor barrel type> here, rather than barrel material itself. I am interested in seeing how the kind of barrel material affects the beer, though.

24. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

I wonder if it's double-barreled again this year, or they just put staves in a bourbon barrel. If anyone wants a pre-pre-sale access code for the release, PM me. I'm not attending this year.

25. Statonxyb

Beer Trader

Someone did ask about the variants in the event thread, and they responded with what was in the event info:

"The 2017 variants reflect the five-year anniversary gift, wood. The three variants will include Bo & Luke aged on white oak, sassafras wood, and white ash."

So I'm assuming just aged on different kind of wood and no adjuncts? Regardless, I'm curious and will be there.

26. tsgooch79

tsgooch79 Disciple (318) May 6, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

If anyone wants a pre-pre-sale access code for the release, PM me. I'm not attending this year.[/QUOTE]

I too will have an access code and won't be attending, so if anyone else wants it, you can have mine

27. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (174) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Went to mirror twin while I was home and didnt have a great experience. Hazy but lazy was ok, def not a NE IPA, too bitter. It was later on saturday and everyone in there was hammered (I assume from the UK game at noon). CBB was great as always.

28. bambambambam

bambambambam Initiate (125) Oct 20, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

lmao sounds awesome. Hate to hear it if Hazy But Lazy is all over the place again tho. Batch I had last Monday was real solid

29. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

The Mirror Twin-Mile Wide collab IPA is amazeballs. Goes on this Saturday for a Mile Wide takeover at MT. There should be keg(s) of it at MW soon. But no cans, probably no fills.

Statonxyb likes this.
  30. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

West Sixth dropped bottles of Snakes in a Barrel today ($19, limits unknown), and Ethereal is dropping 3 Wheats to the Wind ($8, no limit).

31. tsgooch79

tsgooch79 Disciple (318) May 6, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I noticed W6 switched from corks and cages to caps for this batch of Snakes in a Barrel. Does that mean no more champagne yeast?

32. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

Correct! Sours will still be C&C, the BA stuff will be capped from now on.

chrismattlin and tsgooch79 like this.
  33. dreschwartz

dreschwartz Initiate (117) Mar 18, 2016 Kentucky

M
    I sat on a bottle of this for about 8 months. When I opened it it was totally flat, lost all carbonation. I wonder if this was a common problem that caused this change.

34. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

Common problem is my guess. I opened mine last month and it was pretty much still. But it tasted fantastic.

35. Sturgeon83

Beer Trader

Dang it, Snakes in a Barrel is probably my favorite KY beer. Won't be in Lex til the 30th for the football game, any chance it holds out?

36. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

Iffy. Really depends on the bottle count, which is unknown. People are buying, but no mad rush yet.

37. IMFletcher

Beer Trader

I won't go into details, but the odds of the Snakes bottles surviving this weekend are low, so if you need a few, hurry.

Sturgeon83 and chrismattlin like this.
  38. Sturgeon83

Beer Trader

I had a man on the ground in Lex that snagged me a bottle, so I'm all set, but man, that stuff went fast.

IMFletcher likes this.
  39. dscott421

Beer Trader

I stand corrected. It looks like it's came and went in Louisville and Lexington. NKY got some today, per the interwebs.

IMFletcher and chrismattlin like this.
  40. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Disciple (385) Aug 12, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Details?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.