New in Kentucky

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhens0016, Apr 10, 2016.

1. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (609) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

West Sixth looking to take all my money this month. BA Coffee Stout with lactose and vanilla bottles on March 17th? Sigh.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,325) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

I've got a buddy Louisville for the week, anything in particular he should look for? Either on tap there, or packaged to bring home Thanks much!

3. IMFletcher

Trader

Monnik and Mile Wide do cans/crowlers.

beertunes likes this.
  4. SPLITGRIN

SPLITGRIN Poo-Bah (1,600) May 13, 2003 Kentucky
    Trader

Any reports from the West Sixth Kentucky coffee release? Is there any left?

5. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (67) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Not 100% but when I stopped in around 2, a bartender said there were less than 20 left.

6. IMFletcher

Trader

FWIW, the W6 bottle yesterday is good, but the base beer is a dry Irish stout, not a big-ass RIS like the Snakes and variants.

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,500) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Trader

Can anyone offer any Pro Tips on going to Peche Day at Holy Grale? Do you have to show up well before they open to get in?

8. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (556) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Peche day is pretty mellow compared some events at Holy Grale. You shouldn't have any issue and last year each of the variants lasted plenty long.

You don't have to show up before opening at all. If you want to be safe just get there when they open and you will be fine. The biergarten and the amount of seating downstairs and upstairs should be more than enough room

The Termopilas coffee variant was really nice last year and it's back this year too

fredmugs and chrismattlin like this.
  9. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Defender (632) May 10, 2014 Ohio

@fredmugs @Warren2621
    You have my ear! Do you happen to have a link to any info? Much appreciated.

10. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (556) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

fredmugs and chrismattlin like this.
  11. IMFletcher

Trader

West Sixth is dropping 4-packs of Mo' Beam (13.99) and 6-packs of Second Fiddle Simcoe (9.99) March 24. Limit 24 cans (any combo) per person. Quantities unknown. All cans 12 oz.

12. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (200) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

Mile Wide Catalina Breeze (4-pack of pint cans) is a fantastic IPA and Great Flood Coffee Porter is a wonderful, easy-drinking coffee porter. Can't go wrong with either of those.

beertunes likes this.
  13. sefus12

Wish that second fiddle was coming to Louisville. I remember trying it on draft at the downtown tap room and was blown away at how good it was.

14. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (67) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

That mo'beam is a little steep for the quantity but hopefully this is just a trial for a future release. Since they seem to be sticking to 12oz cans, maybe it'll be a 6 pack next time.

15. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (280) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

Any idea on bottle counts for Saturday? I want to try to make it, but might not be able to get there early.

16. SPLITGRIN

Trader

Has there been anything else mentioned about a bottle share for Snake Cake Day? I really hope it is cool to share.

17. IMFletcher

Trader

I'm sure something will happen, but it will be low key at best. We are lining up on a public sidewalk, so open container laws are in play. This will not be like Baba Yaga Day.

djtothemoney likes this.
  18. Sturgeon83

Trader

In true devastating fashion, it's now looking unlikely I'll be able to make the release. If any of you Lex folks anticipate having extras, I'm certainly interested.

19. IMFletcher

Trader

Good seeing a few of you today at West Sixth!

20. SPLITGRIN

Trader

It was a good time and cool meeting some new people as well as seeing lots of familiar faces. Happy birthday West Sixth! Keep moving in the right direction.

21. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (328) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

What's happenin in louisville mid month? I think I'll be there around the 13 or 14 until maybe the 20. Always check out monnik, the brewery in nulu whose name I can never remember, sergios, and holy grale. But is there any must dos that I am missing/anything coming soon?
    Oh and I do usually go get a flight at Atg, but i'm mostly there for the brisket

22. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (245) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana

Mile wide is quite good.

23. sefus12

I'll echo Mile Wide an suggest you hit up Great Flood and Gravely as well, both on Bardstown Road and within a mile or two of both Mile Wide and Holy Grale. Against the Grain is worth checking out as well and if you make it to the East End, definitely check out Holsopple.

24. Sturgeon83

Trader

I'd echo what everybody else said and add Old Louisville Brewery. It's relatively close to a lot of the others, so won't be too far out of your way, and worth a stop.

I'd also swing through Louisville Beer Store and see what's around. Prices are higher than everywhere else, but they get some gems from time to time. I'd definitely hit up Hopcat and Holy Grale since they're down the street from one another.

25. stevepat

Trader

Thanks for all the tips, sounds like there will be more beery fun than I can get to as usual. What is holsopple?

26. Sturgeon83

Trader

Holsopple is a great brewery, but it's out in the suburbs, so you'd kinda have to make a dedicated trip.

27. stevepat

Trader

Checked out holsopple, where I'm staying actually ended up being not far from it. It was a really nice spot. Good spread of beers, nice pilsner, great old school porter, and a surprisingly delicious IPA. Very cool space too.

chrismattlin likes this.
  28. sefus12

Agree. Holsopple secretly has one of the best IPAs brewed around here to go along with many other great beers. Hopefully word gets out about the quality and they continue to do well.

29. iamandrewx

iamandrewx Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2017 Ohio

coming to Louisville in August for a CKY show... and my buddy is a "NEIPA" type of guy. any suggestions on places to hit or bottleshops that carry some options for him? Currently plan to hit Mile Wide, Braxton Labs.

also, preemptively I can bring some Hoof Hearted down to trade for non-Ohio distro?

30. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (137) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Braxton Labs isn't in Louisville, it's in Bellevue, which is across the river from downtown Cincinnati.

iamandrewx likes this.
  31. IMFletcher

Trader

I'm sure you will be able to make this happen. Just post closer to your arrival what you'll have in tow.

32. stevepat

Trader

just had my first experience at mile wide and I would say that they are your best bet for the neipa thing in town. Although AtG does have a hazy rye on right now that is very tasty. Can't comment on how long it will be on though

33. stevepat

Trader

I would also like to reiterate that I think that holsopple probably has the best IPA in louisville, but not their neipa (it's ok just a bit too much on the orange juice spectrum for me). Their IPA is one of the best new ones i've tried in ages. I was legit amazed. They have a bunch of other goodies too for those of us who enjoy other styles

34. Sturgeon83

Trader

Yep, Mile Wide has a rotating group of NEIPA's (the one on now, Nomah, is my favorite), but Holsopple has to be my favorite brewery in town overall. It helps that it's about a 5 minute walk from my house and is the only brewery in the East End.

35. sefus12

Anyone tried the new IPA at Holsopple yet? Not sure I will be a fan of the style, but they do a good job with the beers so I hope to get to try it this weekend. And if it's not to me, I know I love their IPA and Lager so all is good.

36. PortersPorter

PortersPorter Initiate (84) Nov 10, 2007 Kentucky

Are you talking about the NE IPA? It is good but ultimately I prefer the Holsopple IPA. Agreed that Sam is putting out some quality beer. Great spot and some great people running it.

37. stevepat

Trader

Im talking about the holsopple IPA. the NEIPA was mediocre in my opinion.

What I actually came here for though was to ask if folks know if anything was going on at Monnik? I really liked it a few years ago when I was there and I see that their Eagle Skull and His Dark Materials are available around town. Are they on the NEIPA train? Do they do one offs? I've got two days left in town and pondering whether to make it over there.

38. sefus12

I was talking about the Milkshake IPA they released today. And I agree with you about Sam and the standard IPA. Sam is doing fantastic stuff and their house IPA is one of the best in Louisville, if not KY.

39. sefus12

Monnik doesn't make NEIPAs as far as I know. If that's what you are looking for, Mile Wide and Holsopple (with their Milkshake IPA release today) are about your only options. Though if you are only targeting places with that style of IPA, you will be missing a lot of fantastic spots, such as Against the Grain, Great Flood and Gravely.