New in Kentucky

Discussion in 'South' started by Nhens0016, Apr 10, 2016.

1. zachattack12

zachattack12 Initiate (33) Apr 14, 2019 Kentucky
    Trader

There's a bunch of breweries coming soon to Kentucky, figured I would go down the list and track the progress.

1) CYO (Owensboro)- CYO has been a taproom since 2015, with plans to become a brewery once they got licensed. That took a long time, but they will finally start pouring their own beer on November 14. Originally, they were developed as a brewery with a homebrew supplies store and a brew your own beer component (CYO: Craft Your Own). No idea if they will still do that.

2) Uncrafted Territory (Beaver Dam)- Slated to be open in December. Just waiting on their licensing to get straightened out. Not many details about them. The owners are father and son.

3) Hometown (Louisville)- based out of one of the Hometown Pizza locations in Louisville, with plans to eventually open a taproom next door. Untappd indicates they have already released their first beer there. The owner is good friends with the former owner of Cumberland Brewery, I wonder if he will be involved (they are already business partners on a separate venture).

4) Gallant Fox (Louisville)- was expected to open this spring, with June 1 as a planned opening date. However, they still haven't opened. They indicated that they are moving into a different location than initially planned.

5) Brew Bridge (Owensboro)- they seem to have had a quick development process. From the owners of Escape Today, a local escape room. The Brew Bridge will feature an escape room, an axe throwing station, glow in the dark mini golf, a live music stage, rage rooms, pinball machines, 50+ arcade machines (free to play) and a full kitchen. They plan to start brewing in December and open their doors in January. They also take submissions on possible beer ideas, and if they like your idea, you get a free pint. Honestly, they are the brewery I am most excited about.

6) Turtleback Ridge (Piqua)- farm brewery set to open after a long development process. They should be all licensed by the end of 2018, but are waiting until the spring to open for weather reasons. Not counting West Sixth and 3rd Turn's additional locations, they will be the only farm brewery in Kentucky. I believe they will also do cider.

7) Wild Hops (Louisville)- they opened their taproom at Logan Square Market, but it does not appear that they have started pouring their own beers. They have the second female brewmaster in Kentucky, a former brewer at Gordon Biersch.

8) DO/LOVE/LIVE (Louisville)- veteran owned brewery slated for a March 2019 opening. 22,000 sq ft facility with a rooftop bar. Currently under construction. Brewmaster has an extensive resume (I believe he used to be the brewmaster at Iron Hill).

9) Gold Axe (Smithfield)- farm brewery that is apparently opening at some point.

10) Noble Funk (Louisville)- opening in Old Louisville in a converted Kroger... not much news since they were first announced.

11) Two Bards (Bardstown)- Shakespeare themed brewpub with an eye toward eventual distribution/canning. Will be the first brewery in Bardstown (Alexander Bullitt's actually serves Goodwood's stuff under a different name). Should be open in 2020.

12) Cash Crop (Bowling Green)- farm brewery that appears to be in the early stages of construction.

13) Righteous Minds (Frankfort)- home brewery with plans to turn into an actual brewery. Apparently very well regarded in the Kentucky beer scene.

14) Atrium (Louisville)- supposedly opening in Shelby Park.

15) West Sixth is planning a fourth location in Louisville focusing on barrel aged beers that should be open in early 2020, while Ethereal is planning a second location (also in Lexington) that will be more of a brewpub. It was slated to open this fall, but there has been no update since this summer. Against the Grain will also be taking over Cumberland Brewery's now defunct location, after buying the company.

2. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (655) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

All the sours were done at the Chair Ave Warehouse, which they are giving up to focus on the G'Town facility. That facility isn't going to have any wild bacteria anywhere near it because they know better than to mix the two. Now.

chrismattlin likes this.
  3. zachattack12

Trader

They're closing the Lexington location? When? Bummer.

4. IMFletcher

Trader

Not the taproom, just the warehouse across the street.

zachattack12 likes this.
  5. zachattack12

Trader

Are they still going to brew there? They brew in the main building, correct?

6. IMFletcher

Trader

They will still brew small batch stuff at Chair Ave.

zachattack12 likes this.
  7. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (256) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

So now brewing sour stuff anymore? That’s a bummer!!!

8. Toferg

Toferg Initiate (29) May 15, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Parents moved to Hopkinsville this year and will be spending Thanksgiving down there. Anyone have some good places to hit for black friday? Might end up going to Nashville over that weekend too.

9. zachattack12

Trader

Haven't been, but Hopkinsville Brewing is supposed to be one of the best breweries in Kentucky. 3.83 rating on Untappd.

10. IMFletcher

Trader

There are still Golden Wild and 2-3 variants left in bottles at Chair Ave, but I suspect that's it.

11. IMFletcher

Trader

If you're looking for BCBS, Louisville is your best bet for the most variants, usually. Kentucky gets those Reserve variants you won't find in TN.

I'm sure Bearded Iris and/or Southern Grist will have releases that day.

chrismattlin likes this.
  12. Toferg

Toferg Initiate (29) May 15, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I'll check them out, thanks.

That's what I've been seeing regarding Louisville and the reserves, wasn't sure how the western side fared for BCBS. I've been watching Bearded Iris and Southern Grist in case I make that trip. Thanks.