New Jersey Brew News and Releases (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by DrStiffington, Jan 4, 2022.

1. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (123) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

I really hope that Czech Pils from Tonewood hits distribution. I haven't seen Poolside with the new label, the new 6packs of Shiftie, or their Hefeweizen in stores near me yet. This makes me sad.

2. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,331) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

if it makes you feel better poolside cans are sold out around here too, including at the brewery.

DrStiffington likes this.
  3. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,443) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Video has been rehashed a number of times: wasn’t sure if this was the approach being considered/phished…Granted, some brewers dissuade the practice (e.g. unsettling carbonation)

Elfastball7 likes this.
  4. jonphisher

Society Trader

I knew what you were asking :wink: I was saying neither. I enjoy how I pour my beers just fine, I have yet to see any brewery actually waste the time to do a slow pour. I know the usual suspects from discussions on here but to me it's aesthetics, which is nice, but it seems unnecessary.

Side pull definitely, to me, changes the mouthfeel and enjoyment level, on certain beers. Especially when sipping through the wet layer of foam, I find it quite enjoyable to drink.

Rfro5 likes this.
  5. Spade

Spade Disciple (310) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm on LBI this week and thinking about hitting Manafirkin. Any recommendations? Their online taplist seems a bit IPA-heavy but I also see some stouts and a blonde (ale). I do like an IPA on occasion but tend to ignore places that go overboard with them.

6. cid71

cid71 Initiate (143) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

The tap list at the Arlington looks promising for non ipa beers

jonphisher likes this.
  7. M-Fox24

Trader

10°P Czech Pils partnership with Wild East -

[​IMG]

8. cid71

Trader

I don't get too excited about collaboration beers but this does look promising

9. jonphisher

Society Trader

Just returned from drinking a mug full (side pull) of Focal Point at the brewery. For this beer it substantially added to my enjoyment of it, at least visually. Substantial wall of lacing down the whole glass and great retention.

And gosh there is something so enjoyable about drinking through that beautiful layer of foam while it’s thick.

Focal Point has seen distro down here so hopefully it makes it your way. If it doesn’t come on down for a fresh pour and some
    four packs:beers:

They also have two new beers in Oaklyn.

#169 jonphisher, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    M-Fox24 and DrStiffington like this.
  10. M-Fox24

Trader

That dense creamy cap - when done right - is a fitting complement, as those clean/bright suds flow through…permitting a Czech Lager offering

DrStiffington and jonphisher like this.
  11. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Disciple (323) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

New release from Seed. The first iteration they did with Timber was incredible.

Tomorrow at 5pm, we will release the second base adjunct stout of the year in collaboration with our friends at @timber_ales.

Modern Rituals | Emergence

Imperial stout conditioned on Ghanaian Cacao nib, Tanzanian vanilla, and Thai banana. A richer and thicker base than Q1’s stout carries decadent layers of a rich chocolate and vanilla bean swirl ice cream sundae served in a bowl lined with ripe fresh bananas topped with shaved bakers chocolate twirls, cookie dough balls, and sweetened banana chips.

[​IMG]

DrStiffington and Greyvtrayn like this.
  12. tynian16

tynian16 Initiate (168) Oct 23, 2015 New York

jonphisher likes this.
  13. jonphisher

Society Trader

I know nothing about it, it’s about 8 minutes down the road from me though. If I ever do give it a whirl I’ll try and remember to tag you.

I feel like I tried to look up info on their site about their past before but really found nothing useful. I was curious about their experience but had no luck. Still nothing much on the “about us” part of their site other than this.

tynian16 likes this.
  14. Seb_aschn

Seb_aschn Initiate (69) Nov 28, 2018 New Jersey

That Alternate Ending/Wild East Collab is a banger. Highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, I need to go back there and pick up another 4 pack.

Dschwartz83 and DrStiffington like this.
  15. jonphisher

Society Trader

I finally got around to trying longliner and I'm with you on your take of this beer. It is incredibly drinkable and balanced and has a nice herbal and grassy hop character to it. Someone gave me a can but I will not hesitate to purchase a 12 pack when I need to restock the fridge.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25890/604713/?ba=jonphisher#lists

Rfro5 and DrStiffington like this.
  16. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (89) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Hey guys, hoping this is the right spot to ask, but I'm thinking of swinging by Tonewood Barrington this Friday afternoon for the first time and had a couple of questions. I'm guessing this spot is kid friendly, as long as the children are supervised? Do they allow food inside at all?

Rfro5 likes this.
  17. shkin

shkin Aspirant (256) Feb 6, 2011 New York

I only stopped by once to pick up cans, but from what I saw there were many families with kids, and many people having lunch.

Rfro5, Chroma914 and jonphisher like this.
  18. jonphisher

Society Trader

Yes and yes. You’re with kids so this may not be doable but I would try and swing by both since they are so close to one another. If you haven’t ever been to Oaklyn, it’s a special little place.

You could bribe the kiddos with dessert at Oaklyn after Barrington as there are two places right next door with sweets. I think one is an ice cream place and the other is a pudding place.

Hope you make it :beers:

Just wanted to add...the mixed ferm project which is over at Oaklyn now has put out two can conditioned beers. I grabbed the witbier and it is such an awesome little beer.

There is something special about the most recent beers coming out of Barrington, I cannot speak to the hoppy beers but the most recent lagers and kölsch have a particularly perfect smooth carbonation and are incredibly clean, and verging on crystal clear. Enjoy!

#178 jonphisher, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    wise456, Rfro5, DrStiffington and 2 others like this.
  19. Chroma914

I've been to the Oaklyn spot a couple of times before, all pre covid, and you're right, it's a really nice spot. I could probably only swing one spot, and I'm super interested in trying the lagers at the Barrington spot.

I guess I have one follow up question - any great food spots nearby the Barrington spot that are must visits?

jonphisher likes this.
  20. jonphisher

Society Trader

I have never grabbed food at Barrington but there is a tavern/bar right across the street, Old Rail Tavern. It would be super easy to get a beer place an order, then go pick up food for beer #2.

The great thing about their lager at Barrington now is they have both 12 oz or 16 oz mugs. I have drank more focal point both at home and there than any other beer in a while, I also I don't think I have personally enjoyed a beer as much as that one in ages. It is about as perfect as a beer can be; we all have our own likes and dislikes but hopefully you agree :slight_smile::beers: it will make for an enjoyable trip.

Share you thoughts if you go...cheers

@Chroma914

DrStiffington and Chroma914 like this.
  21. Chroma914

@jonphisher I'm dying to try that Focal Point. Love that style.

Rfro5, DrStiffington and jonphisher like this.
  22. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (109) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

The new kolsch from Tonewood is their best crispy boi yet. It's one of the best crispy bois I've had in a very, very long time. Pretty sure it was brewed at the Barrington location, which I think is putting out cleaner tasting beers...just a theory!

23. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,799) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I’m still not seeing much Tonewood variety at my stores.

RobHB and jonphisher like this.
  24. cid71

Trader

not sure where you are in the state, but Bottle king wayne has a good variety

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  25. DrStiffington

Society

Somerset county. Lately I only see Fuego, Freshies, and a few different IPA releases that come and go. I used to see a greater variety. Haven’t seen any lagers in months.

26. cid71

Trader

Check out the web site. They have quite a bit if you don't mind the ride

DrStiffington likes this.
  27. schteve

schteve Aspirant (241) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

Little Bros in Flemington has a decent, always fresh variety.

RobHB and DrStiffington like this.
  28. cid71

Trader

Last night picked up a Focal Point. But it's running low

29. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Aspirant (228) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Anyone see Tonewood Nomad out in distro in the Middlesex/Monmouth area?

30. Chroma914

Wound up going last Friday after a trip to Atsion lake with the family. Here are my thoughts -

- as someone who had only gone to the OG spot before, this was a serious upgrade. Absolutely beautiful spot with a great variety of seating. Wanna sit at the bar? Boom. Outside? Boom. Hightop table? Boom. Lower table with the kids? got that too. Really appreciated that.

- The beers were great. I stuck with the lagers, which were all well worth the price of admission: Focal Point, Nomad, Poolside, Lumberyard, Shiftie, and Pathway Pils were all great, and I walked out with packs of Focal, Nomad, Poolside, and Lumber

- Staff was great as well, and super cool when they wound up pouring me the wrong beer due to some switched labels on their taps.

- As someone who regularly buys cans from Human Robot and Other Half, the pricepoint here was extremely welcomed.

- Wound up ordering from this Brooklyn Original pizza spot that was delivering to tables inside. Fantastic pie.

31. jonphisher

Society Trader

A great recap, thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you made out pretty well and it was a good idea to come by. They are such a conscientious brewery, IMO, and your points all show that I think. Oh and they make some great beer too :slight_smile::beers:

Neat you went to Atsion, it’s a cool little spot and we enjoy going as well.

I may have to check out that pizza spot soon…

DrStiffington and Chroma914 like this.
  32. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,099) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Hey, my Jersey friends, on our way back from Virginia I’m looking to either hit Cape May if we do the ferry or Tonewood if we take the Turnpike. Straightforward enough. But, small chance we might come through early enough on a Sunday to miss the opening time. Any bottle shops in South Jersey that are open before noon and would have CM and Tonewood stuff? Thanks in advance.

33. jonphisher

Society Trader

Most, if not all, stores in south jersey will have what you need. I live by exit 4, your best bet by me is Wineworks; probably about 10 minutes or less off the turnpike.

If you do that you’ll also pass Joe Canals which is decent too but usually same or very similar stock.

guinness77 and Rfro5 like this.
  34. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,099) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Looks like we’re taking the ferry and an early one so bottle shop is my only choice. So…any good bottle shops off the Garden St. Parkway that would have Cape May/Tonewood?

jonphisher likes this.
  35. jonphisher

Society Trader

Sorry I can't help on that one @guinness77, outside of my area of knowledge for the most part. Only advice is maybe Circle Liquor Store in Somer's Point; 5 minutes or so off parkway. Looks like they open nice and early every day, 9 AM (according to google).

They appear to have social media account too; hopefully a good sign for well stocked beer section??

guinness77 likes this.
  36. DrStiffington

Society

Maybe Joe Canals in Iselin? They should have both. @guinness77

37. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Disciple (308) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Township for sure will have both. Easy on/off the GSP.
    3119 Fire Rd

38. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Aspirant (228) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Tonewood Barrington is a really cool space. I was thinking to myself it’s like a mini Tree House Charlton when my wife said hey this place reminds me of Tree House. Lagers were all great as expected.

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  39. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Disciple (308) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

I popped in at their Barrington spot to pick up an order a couple Fridays ago. I would agree (strictly with regards to the interior). Seemed like a decent amount of space for what they are and a very nice design, TH Charlton on a 1/50th scale.
    I got a 6er of Lumberyard that was an easy drinker. Also grabbed some Improv, Chief and Hemisphere. All were delicious.

DrederickTatum likes this.
  40. BJC

BJC Initiate (192) Nov 9, 2002 New Jersey

Fresh?