New Jersey Brew News and Releases (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by DrStiffington, Jan 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midegrou

midegrou (238) Dec 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

My NJ brothers and sisters: I'm about to continue my pilgrimage further into the suburbs with an upcoming move from JC to the Princeton area. Obviously excited to be near Troon/BFT but anyone else in the area have some recommendations? There are a lot of really good spots within a 45-60 minute drive (Tonewood, Kane, Twin Elephant, Conclave, the northern Philly suburbs spots, etc...), but wondering if anything is a bit closer and more "in the neighborhood?"

2. jonphisher

jonphisher (944) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Besides the very different size and atmosphere…

They have slightly different tap lists, some beers only being at one vs the other. I feel like a lot of times the unique to one location beers seem to end up at both places eventually.

The little merch area at Barrington where you can grab your own stuff, including cans.

Oaklyn has cask, Barrington doesn’t.

Barrington has two different beers on side pull, Oaklyn one.

The good thing is they’re so close to one another, 5-8 minute, you can go to both :beers:

#282 jonphisher, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    Rfro5 likes this.
  3. Streaky

Streaky (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

Main difference is Oaklyn has a ton of taps for their mixed ferm beers, Barrington does not.

4. Hayesbro

Hayesbro (0) Oct 16, 2019 Pennsylvania

Not the most knowledgeable about that area, but since noone else has chimed in... You might try Vault. I've had a few of their offerings in cans and they're solid to very good. I think others have commented positively on their taproom (I haven't been). It's not particularly close to Princeton but it seems that area is a bit of a brewery desert outside of Troon. You missed Referend by a few months.

midegrou, schteve and jonphisher like this.
  5. tynian16

tynian16 (374) Oct 23, 2015 New York

I live in this area now and consider it quite a dead zone. Troon is super annoying but at least you can go to BFT. Other than that your best bets are still going to exactly the places you referenced. Sometimes I work in Philly and have been picking up some nice lager/pilsners at Human Robot Jenkintown. Was also very pleasantly surprised by Attic Brewing in Germantown.

midegrou likes this.
  6. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn (435) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Human Robot has a spot in Jenkintown? Did they move into the spot that (last I knew) was where Neshaminy Creek was?

7. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 (1,043) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

There was some discussion in the Southeastern PA thread; nonetheless, they opened the second location in March

Human Robot's New Location "The Haus" Is Now Open In Jenkintown - Breweries in PA

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  8. DrStiffington

DrStiffington (1,194) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

You’ve named many of the places I enjoy and go to as well. I’ll just put out there that, although as our kids have gotten older and busier we haven’t done this in a while, we used to really enjoy going to Princeton, walking around campus and the stores across the street and eating and drinking at a few of the restaurants, especially Triumph. As a brewery, their beers are nothing mind blowing, but the place is nice and the food is very good. A couple other good places to eat and drink near there as well. I would also say it’s worth going to Vault. My wife and I really enjoyed the food there and the beer was good. Place was also nice.

midegrou and jonphisher like this.
  9. SPRichard

SPRichard (290) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Keep in mind that the Triumph in Princeton is currently closed until they move to their new location in Palmer Square.

jesskidden and jonphisher like this.
  10. DrStiffington

Society

Did not know that. Like I said, haven’t been there in a while. At least they’re not moving far. What are they replacing?

jonphisher likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

DrStiffington and jonphisher like this.
  12. midegrou

midegrou (238) Dec 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Appreciate all the feedback and guidance, friends!

The West Windsor move has been pretty solid so far. I have two weeks of funemployment ahead of me and planning on doing a bit of hopping around. I think I'm gonna go hit up Warwick Farm Brewing first (on a good weather day). Also, looks like Old Hights is pretty well regarded and that's not too far from me. And apparently, "The Druery" will be opening soon nearby.

FWIW, Autodidact and Oakflower should both be opening in the nearish future (but not near Princeton), and the handful of stuff I've from both has been awesome. Really hope the state can figure out these draconian liquor license requirements, for the sake of both restaurants and breweries, because there's a lot of really good beer showing up!

Also, Conclave 5th Element is so so good. I went last Thursday to pick up a four pack because I'd assumed it was almost out. Still some available today a week later!

Timmush, Hayesbro and DrStiffington like this.
  13. DrStiffington

Society

Conclave never disappoints.

Timmush, Dreamer57, schteve and 2 others like this.
  14. jonphisher

Society Trader

I try and talk up this beer any chance I can, there was a lot of black ipa talk when big hoppy saw distro. If you enjoy the style keep an eye out for this beer, it’s very very good…

[​IMG]

15. Seb_aschn

Seb_aschn (218) Nov 28, 2018 New Jersey

Few things:

Wild Aire is already distributing their liquid goods. I saw Quickbeam which is the NZ pils which is excellent and so is their House Lager Inherent Vice. Their brewery is also worthy of a visit. Sweet spot.

Twin Elephant is also distributing now. I saw lil shimmy ye and Foggiest Notion.

Both found in East Brunswick/Milltown

DrStiffington likes this.
  16. Bcrowe224

Bcrowe224 (0) Jul 2, 2013 New York

I also recently moved to Princeton and love it. Awesome town. As others have suggested, have to travel a little to get to breweries but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the beer selections at stores:

Mcaffreys in the Princeton shopping center is great for beer and they get heady topper like once a quarter. I’ve noticed other stores in the area will get it occasionally too

vault is not too far as others have said (maybe 30 min from Princeton)

Brick farm tavern is the defecto troon tap room if that’s your thing (not a big fan. Almost everything is a 10% ipa)

17. another_beer_in_the_wall

another_beer_in_the_wall (0) Jun 9, 2019 Rhode Island
    Trader

Hey NJ crew, any recommendations on bottle shops/breweries in the Mt Laurel area? Family in the area now and will be down a few times a year. Brought back a bunch of Carton from Laurel Liqours but that’s about as far as I advanced my NJ beer credentials.

jonphisher likes this.
  18. jonphisher

Society Trader

Tonewood is right down 295, Barrington location is about 5 minutes off of it, if that.

In Marlton right down 73 you have Joe canals, Wineworks and canals bottle stop all in a half mile radius.

Other direction down 73 roger Wilco in pensauken is good and you can grab singles of anything they have.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

19. another_beer_in_the_wall

another_beer_in_the_wall (0) Jun 9, 2019 Rhode Island
    Trader

Awesome!!! Thank you.

jonphisher likes this.
  20. Seb_aschn

Has anyone picked up Waterbury Jams from brix/propig?

I had this few times before and it was always great. This batch is just tasting like soap to me. Already had 2 cans and both were the same. I usually experienced that with some old Mosaic hops.

21. mjlavorgna

mjlavorgna (0) Oct 2, 2014 Connecticut

Hey all - Coming from CT and going to a show at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville next weekend and staying in Somerset for the night. Any recommendations for breweries/food in the area and any must stops along the way back into CT? Thanks!

22. DrStiffington

Society

Tricky area for breweries. Jersey Cyclone is right there in town. I stop by every now and then, including last weekend. I enjoy their beers and worth it if you’re staying in town. Much better breweries but all are farther south, like Kane and Carton, or west, like Conclave. Good places to eat in New Brunswick, but I don’t have any specific recommendations. As for coming back up to CT, if you’re going up 287 to NYS Thruway, I’d stop at District 96 in NY on the way to the bridge. Can even eat a good lunch there. If you’re for some reason going back up via GSP, Twin Elephant is worth a stop in Chatham. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

stairway2heavn and jonphisher like this.
  23. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn (365) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Marlowe in Nyack and as stated district 96 are great options if they're more or less on your route. That said any canned options from Marlowe are available at 12 percent brewing or distribution but tap and vibe are nice nonetheless. Wegmans in Woodbridge is a good place for NYS NJ distro cans, so some tonewood and kane would be there.

Depending on route half time in Mamaroneck is pretty great for cans and bottles from all over, if your route is more south along the water.

24. shkin

shkin (0) Feb 6, 2011 New York

I'm not so sure about Tonewood. The last few times I was there they had none, and when I finally asked I was told they don't get Tonewood anymore. That said, Jersey Fine Wines in East Brunswick usually have Tonewood, Cape May, and other NJ and NE beers in stock.

DrStiffington and stairway2heavn like this.
  25. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn (365) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Oh, that's a new development I guess. Good to know.

26. DrStiffington

Society

I wonder why. The Wegmans in Bridgewater gets Tonewood.

27. DrStiffington

Society

Also Bottle Republic in Somerset gets a good NJ selection so you might try going there.

28. shkin

shkin (0) Feb 6, 2011 New York

No idea. Whoever I asked might be telling me that to prevent more questions, but no Tonewood on multiple occasions.

stairway2heavn likes this.
  29. Seb_aschn

Wegmans in Woodbridge has Fuego and Improv 6 packs. I was just there today.

Jersey Fine wines in East Brunswick gets all of the Tonewood drops. Great beer store.

shkin, stairway2heavn and midegrou like this.
  30. Hayesbro

Hayesbro (0) Oct 16, 2019 Pennsylvania

The good food in New Brunswick tends towards the very high and low ends but the best beer lists as far as I know are at Tavern on George and Stuff Yer Face, which are somewhere in the middle.

Sophie's Bistro in Franklin is a good laid-back spot for French food.

31. mjlavorgna

mjlavorgna (0) Oct 2, 2014 Connecticut

Thanks all for the recommendations! Ended up getting beer to-go at Jersey Fine Wines in East Brunswick, some Tonewood and others! Stopped for beers at Cypress (was quiet but pretty good beers, had their Naughty and Nice holiday stouts in a flight). On the way back to CT we stopped at Marlowe, what an awesome location. I live near 12% in CT so have had lots of their beer but was great to see their own taproom. Also stopped at District 96 which was a little disappointing. Only had 5 of their own beers on tap, had a couple and both good but not what I was expecting! Have had a lot of their beer in the past and know it's good though.

Anyway, thank you all again! Was a good little trip to NJ!

Seb_aschn, shkin and jonphisher like this.
  32. Seb_aschn

So hop butcher is in NJ now. Just picked up Only Interested in New Zealand 11.21.22 canned date for $18 at Wegmans in Woodbridge. There was something else there from them but I forget what it was.

Greyvtrayn and stairway2heavn like this.
  33. Streaky

Streaky (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

Anyone have any intel on the frequency/list of NJ drops from Tired Hands?

Been noticing lately that most of the TH stuff in NJ is slowly becoming shelf turds (October dates, not exactly "hyper fresh") - a list of which beers are the newest will save me some date checking time for sure.

34. jonphisher

Society Trader

If you check hunterdon's site they've been pretty good about updating their new releases page lately, after a long stretch of being very bad about updating...

Once and a while I will see tired hands stuff listed...

https://www.hunterdonbrewing.com/newreleases

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but its a start I guess.

35. cid71

cid71 (336) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

i think a few years ago they would have flown off the shelves but TH got a lot of bad press about their owner's behavior and many consumers including myself have been reticent to fund him (since hes back in the fold)

36. KenC

KenC (0) Jan 21, 2011 South Carolina
    Trader

I finally escaped NJ in late September after 59 years... 12 of 'em in MtL, and no I'm never coming back.

Anyway, Martins Liquors, Rt. 38 MtL Pricy cuz they're right next to the interstate on/off ramp
    Wine Works, Rt. 73 Marlton
    Traino's Wine and Spirits, Marlton
    The rest are all hit/miss not noteworthy.

Breweries: Bout the Hops, MtL; Zeds, Marlton; Village Idiot, Mt. Holly

37. JMH_

JMH_ (952) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Did a thing with some friends, and hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!

⁠Four Legs and Always Ready to Travel
    Brett IPA with Phantasm; 6.0%⁠ ABV
    - Collaboration with Twin Elephant
    - Pacific Sunrise/Motueka/Citra⁠
    - Pineapple/Clementine/Earth⁠

38. DrStiffington

Society

Was just at AE earlier today with a buddy for the first time. Enjoyed trying a few beers on tap and bought a BA barleywine for NYE. Didn’t see that can though.

39. JMH_

JMH_ (952) Feb 24, 2001 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Cans are officially being released tomorrow, but it's on tap at the brewery as we speak. Glad you enjoyed the visit!

40. DrStiffington

Society

Huh, must’ve been put on literally right after we left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.