New Kegerator Owner Woes - Plea for advice

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Zouave7, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zouave7

Zouave7 Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Vermont

I recently purchased a Edgestar KC7000 SStrip triple tap kegerator…

Initially tapped some hard cider and later a local craft beer…

My problem – a fairly strong sulfur odor from the first 2-4 ounces I draw from any of the taps… After that t it seems OK until it has been sitting for an hour or two – then it reappears,,, Foam has not been excessive.

The setup has 3/16 clear beer lines of about 5 feet…

Perlick taps
    Taprite Couplers
    And is set at about 10PSI and 37degrees
    The unit has tower cooling

I’ve tried:

1 Cleaning the beer lines, taps and couplers with no rinse beer line cleaner

2 Replacing the backflow balls and retainers with new ones from Micromatic

3 Switching to a different CO2 cylinder

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated – the wastage is a crime against the

beer/cider gods 

:slight_frown:Thank you!

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

cider can have a pronounced acidic smell and taste. this sounds like a problem with your cider and not the appliance.

you should be using stainless steel if you are dispensing cider. the high acidity of cider, and wine, will etch chrome plating eventually. but it is very unlikely you have exposed brass in contact with the cider. not unless the hardware is really shitty. is it used hardware and can you see any brass? probably not going to be an issue but something to look for.

also a tap is a coupler. technically. you "tap" a keg. a faucet is not the same thing, though the word is often used interchangeably. just a minor point of info.
    Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.