1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

New Lists: Top Rated Beers for Canadian Provinces

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Todd, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,650) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

Change is inevitable. It might occur slowly, or seemingly all all once, but either way, it's going to happen. Earlier this week we attended the Alberta Craft Brewing Convention and the Alberta Beer Awards in Edmonton. Over the course of two days we met lots of enthusiastic brewers, tried dozens of ales and lagers, and learned something very important: the beer scene in Canada is exploding. In Alberta alone, the industry has grown 333 percent over the last 3 years. As of 2015, there were 30 breweries in the province. Today there are 109—and counting.

So we got to thinking. For some time now it's been possible to view a list of the Top Rated Beers from each of the 50 states in the US. Meanwhile, our neighbors to the north have been making do with a single list for all of Canada, even as the number of breweries in places like Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario continues to skyrocket. Well, as of today, that changes. We're very excited to announce that you can now view Top Rated Beers by Canadian province. Please check out the lists below, add a review of your own, and encourage others to do the same.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/ca/

Are we missing any breweries or beers? Please log in and add them today.

Cheers to Canadian beer!

###

The above is from an email that we just sent to all Canadian users. Unfortunately the lack of recent user activity is reflected in many of these lists, but our hopes is that together we can change this. Ideas? Let's hear them! Otherwise I encourage all of you to contribute where you can.

Thanks!

Electros, Amendm, sdm9465 and 6 others like this.
  2. scialan

scialan Initiate (32) Feb 7, 2019 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

Great Idea! I have been looking something similar like this in Canada and haven't had much luck.

Sadly, due to our Provincial liquor laws, beer and wines are not readily accessible from Province to Province. This would certainly help me learn about beers from other Provinces and potentially be able to trade great beers from other Provinces too. My experience is mostly centred around sour beer so far, and will certainly be adding a few BC sour beer this week.

My favourite and newly discovered sour beer brewery from BC is the Temporal Artisan Ales. I don't believe any of their beer is reviewed on the Forum yet. Bright acidity with amazing concentration of fruits and complexity with the use of barrel in fermentation. BC's sour beer scene has certainly improved in the last few years and I have finally found my little paradise without having to constantly search for the "thirst quencher".

Coronaeus, TheDoctor and Todd like this.
  3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,855) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Awesome work! Thanks!

Too true. To me, that is the single biggest reason why separating by province is important. In some ways the restrictions here might actually make this separation more important than being able to separate by state in the US.

#3 TheDoctor, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    scialan, Coronaeus and Todd like this.
  4. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (803) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Excellent! Thanks @Todd I’ve been hoping for this for a long time.

The lists certainly aren’t perfect. If the forums are any indication, Canadian users have been falling away from the site. That, coupled with the provincial barriers mentioned above and the advantage breweries who distribute in the US have (ie. Collective Arts), the lists don’t really represent the current scene, or are heavy in history and well distributed beers.

I’ll share the great news elsewhere.

TheDoctor, scialan and Todd like this.
  5. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,145) Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Society Trader

Love it Todd!!
    Any way to link all the Brewsters beers? They're scattered over all the Brewsters locations in Alberta. Blue Monks on the list twice as a result....its great beer but no beers that great..............

Sammy and Coronaeus like this.
  6. MariaFox

MariaFox Initiate (30) Nov 6, 2018 Ontario (Canada)

Wow Todd!!
    I would like to appreciate you that you shared us such a great list of beers, i did often find good beers that make me some special feelings which is completed by you......

Todd likes this.
  7. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (13,128) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)

The list has sparked a good discussion on Untappd, and the extreme views are certainly out there on Reddit for example, along with balanced or nuanced comments. A good value added for us loyal Canucks, appreciate the list!

TheDoctor, Coronaeus and Todd like this.
  8. souvenirs

souvenirs Defender (671) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Awesome, I've wanted this for a while.

Todd likes this.
  9. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (13,128) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)

bellwoods 27 of the 100 ontario. even a higher proportion of the top half of the list.

Coronaeus likes this.
  10. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (803) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Rightly so I’d say, and with greater distribution, should probably be higher.

Places like Half Hours, Burdock, etc suffer from their smaller footprint, but quality wise should one day be included.

onezendad and Sammy like this.
  11. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (17) Apr 16, 2018 Ontario (Canada)

I would add Small Pony to that list of "if more people just knew about them". HHOE is worth the drive from Toronto to Seaforth ( am drinking a Razzy Star as I type), and SPBW made my favourite beer of 2018 (Jam Hands)

Coronaeus likes this.