New Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo Variations?!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by HoptimusMax1mus, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

:-)

As I was trying to figure out if there was useful information on that site, one of the first things I realized was that I didn't know enough to make use of it if it was there.

2. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

should we move the pellets vs cone discussion elsewhere?

3. KOP_Beer_OUtlet

KOP_Beer_OUtlet Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

You'll sell a ton of 18 pack 16oz cans in PA...

BillManley and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

No thanks. I don't want to die just yet.

Pantalones and TriggerFingers like this.
  5. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (111) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I haven't tried it with Bigfoot but I did drink a six of Brown Shugga' once on an extended evening. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,685) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Well done is well done, I'll wait to drink them before I judge the beers. I like Grapefruit Sculpin, fresh it's a great beer, the Pineapple version is another matter. Same might apply here.

TrojanRB, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  7. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Perhaps I'm an outlier but I've been drinking SN since I lived in Arizona in the 90s and I had no idea they used whole cone hops until this thread.

I know they use hop oil, "fresh" hops, and "wet" hops for certain beers, but I had absolutely no idea that they completely eschew pellets.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I've literally never heard anyone talk about it as a selling point or an aspect of SN beer.

#127 meefmoff, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I see #1 a lot. I couldn't tell you the # of times that I just wish I had a Boston Lager, Fat Tire, or a SNPA over some ridiculously terrible tasting "local" craft beer that is also seemingly more expensive than others.

I will say, its sad that SN sits here and I just dont like buying Torpedo or SNPA that has 2 months on it. Hop Hunter, on the other hand has such great shelf stability. I want to say its the hop oils just aiding in a never ending find to keep that beer always tasting fresh. That is one beer I would buy even at 90 days old.

As far as some backlash SN may be feeling. Over the past year alone, we have beers like Uinta Tangerine Hop Nosh, Skaa Modus Mandarina, and probably most notable, New Belgium Citradelic (which I had heard was selling really really well. How long that stays up, who knows?). Over the country, I'm sure there is even more. It sort of feels like they are late to the party or grasping at straws. But as long as they don't interfere with my choices (who wants a full fridge shelf with 12 plus SN products, much akin to what BP tried to do locally)

If anything, I hope these two new ones can renew some interest in the originals, and people begin to rebuy them more consistently.

Tilley4 likes this.
  9. HoptimusMax1mus

HoptimusMax1mus Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

Wow.Well I am looking forward to trying them myself. Sounds great to me. I loved the Tropical IPA and SNPA is always good so a little orange would probably make it great.

10. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (211) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Couldn't agree more. Everyone else out there can chase after the latest "it" beer or try to find their local "double-dry-hopped-mosaic NE Style IPA that has to be less than four days old or it goes bad" and I'll gladly go to any beer place around me and pick up 30 - 50 day old SNPA and Torpedo and be happy as hell. I'll also be waiting anxiously to try both of these and will enjoy cases of Celebration between now and then. Cheers!

aoampm, Premo88, TonyLema1 and 3 others like this.
  11. neckbeardahab

neckbeardahab Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 New York

the torpedo I see in brooklyn is never less than two months old.

Premo88 likes this.
  12. HoptimusMax1mus

HoptimusMax1mus Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Arizona

@sefus12

Why you have to go and say CELEBRATION man!!! I am dying for some. I usually buy 4 cases of that easily a season.

13. pro100

pro100 Initiate (98) Oct 12, 2014 California

I'm on board

Premo88 and HoptimusMax1mus like this.
  14. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Sierra Nevada started me in this Craft beer Journey and I will always have shelf space in my beer fridge for them. So new beers coming out from them is a good thing to me.
    Can't wait to try these beers. ONE LOVE

HoptimusMax1mus likes this.
  15. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (330) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I am having the same issue here now, the other day I saw cases of Torpedo in a store and the bottled on date was April. Another store was early July...

JohnnyMc likes this.
  16. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Looking forward to trying the tropical Torpedo. Love Torpedo, love that this beer will be brewed using hops to get the flavor, and can't wait to try Sierra's take on the style. They make damn quality beer!

HoptimusMax1mus likes this.
  17. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

This exactly how I feel about SN and SA. I love trying out new beers, but I seem to crave beers like Torpedo, Boston Lager, etc... More and more.

18. ben4unc

ben4unc Initiate (176) Feb 28, 2013 North Carolina

Any reviews on the Tropical Torpedo yet? It was released at Mills River gift shop yesterday. I tried the Side Car and it had a great nose and I really enjoyed it!

Premo88 likes this.
  19. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

The Sidecar Orange Pale Ale is kinda weird. It doesnt taste anything like the regular pale ale and is more sour and bitter than hoppy. Glad I tried it but cant say I loved it.

Premo88 likes this.
  20. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

There were some reviews on the page: www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/251571/

Also this video:

cjgiant, ESHBG, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  21. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,139) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm enjoying a Sidecar Orange Pale Ale right now from a fresh growler. Seems like a tasty formula to me.

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  22. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Sidecar is solid. Picked up a 12 pack. Not artificial tasting at all and we'll integrated imo

alucard6679 likes this.
  23. ESHBG

Hmm sounds like their Tropical IPA seasonal they had which I liked but didn't find to be very tropical.

24. deboy922

deboy922 Initiate (29) Jan 1, 2017 Indiana

Six packs of Sidecar are available in Lafayette, IN. I like it...nothing special...but a little different and very drinkable.

Anyone seeing the Tropical IPA? Have not seen it yet in my area. Hoping it is like last year's Beer Camp Tropical IPA....even though it was not tropical, it was tasty...we'll see!

25. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (183) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

According to sierranevadabill when it was announced, it is exactly the tropical ipa from last year renamed

deboy922 likes this.
  26. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (179) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

It's not exactly the same beer, they tweaked the hops to make it more fruity.

27. rails

rails Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 California

They need to make a beer like Pizza Port Swamis fruity, dank, and fresh. The funny thing is they helped pay for the breeding of Citra. The first super fruity hop that really changed iPas.

ebin6 and jakecattleco like this.
  28. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,290) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Have not even heard of these until seeing this thread... I would definitely pluck these off the shelf if I saw them...

29. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Instead of throwing different twists to already established beers, I think SN needs to come out with a solid IPA and double IPA. For instance, last night I had the single Hop Cascade and Lagunitas Maximum and they weren't even close in comparison. I understand different hops, but SHC tasted like water compared to Maximus. I feel SN is starting to fall behind and this is their idea to bring them back. Why not try brewing a solid IPA and Double IPA that can stand with other West Coast options and is also reasonably priced?

fehrminator likes this.
  30. CNoj012

CNoj012 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2014 New York

I figured Tropical Torpedo would be the spring seasonal again this year, but I guess it is the Golden IPA instead. Not sure if it is the same one that was in the IPA variety pack a while back, but I don't think so as the ABVs are different. I much prefer the Tropical IPA, but to each their own.

31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am guessing that you are of the opinion that Hop Hunter and Torpedo are not "solid"? If Sierra Nevada were to reformulate these two beers to be "solid", what would they have to do?

Cheers!

dcotom, ahawkman, rgordon and 10 others like this.
  32. Oktoberfist

Deactivated

I'm not a SN shill boy like most people on here. Reality is, HH and Torpedo are decent beers. But, they are not up to par with other West Coast IPAs as mentioned previously. Idk what they can do? I'm not a brewer. Plus I never said I didn't like them.

pjeagles likes this.
  33. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Man, I could not disagree with you more. The two IPAs you mentioned may not be similar to the aroma-driven flavor bombs that are trendy right now; but they are incredibly well-crafted, clean, and deliciously flavorful. Torpedo, especially, is a true hop-lover's IPA. Not a "melt your face off" type of IPA; but an incredible example of the style. Furthermore, Hoptimum is a great example of the DIPA style. It actually angers me to hear someone state that Sierra Nevada needs to brew some "solid" IPAs. No offense.

dcotom, ahawkman, moose1980 and 10 others like this.
  34. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

I fear that your mentality reflects that of many new craft beer lovers; especially younger ones: anything that is not extreme (juicy IPAs; barrel-aged anything; coffee/chili/chocolate stouts; ultra sours; etc.) gets overlooked. You can see this shift in taste in other aspects of our culture as well, e.g., music, movies, and idolizing celebrities who are the most audacious, etc. I feel bad for these large breweries like Sierra Nevada and Stone who are having to run around with their hair on fire to try and keep up with beer drinkers who will never try the same beer twice; whilst beers such as the fabulous original Stone Pale Ale and IPA and the more than "solid" Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo get eclipsed in favor of beers that have the subtlety of an axe to the forehead.

35. Oktoberfist

Deactivated

Cliff notes.

36. ESHBG

Amazing to think (and maybe even a bit troubling?) that the day has come where the beers you mentioned can be labeled as boring and not flavorful enough. So what about Lagers and the even "less flavorful" beers? Interesting times indeed...

37. thuey

thuey Disciple (334) Nov 13, 2015 California

I like SN's Celebration and won't refuse a SNPA. Their lagers actually aren't bad either. But otherwise, I don't enjoy their hop profiles. They're decidedly old school, even with their "Tropical" IPA/Torpedo attempts. They weren't leader of the pack even when released, as Pliny and anything Lagunitas were far better.

But even with that, here's the thing: People do get bored. People's tastes change.

Although I feel NE-style hazy beers are good but overrated, I personally evolved to only like West Coast IPAs that use new-school hops. The traditional Cascade/Centennial/Columbus and Simcoe flavors are so played out that it's hard for me to enjoy them anymore. Make a piney, resinous, dry IPA but with Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, any of those more new hops with or without the old school hops and now we're talking. Cellarmaker is killing it with old meets new, so I can't even drink most of the old guards - even Pliny.

But as usual, let the market dictate what they want.

38. Oktoberfist

Deactivated

Learn how to read, dude. I said a reasonably priced IPA or double IPA like Lagunitas. Hoptimum is not reasonably priced . . .

I think it's more troubling to think that my opinion doesn't matter because "I am a new craft beer lover" lol. Too many SN shill boys on BA. I knew I'd hit a few nerves with my post, but it's my opinion. I respect your opinion. Again, Torpedo and HH are decent beers. But there's many more that are better and equally priced.

39. rails

rails Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 California

They need to adapt they are loosing market share, this is just not the case of beer nerds talking trash. Lagunitas is expanding, just different hop profiles fruiter and danker.

Oktoberfist likes this.
  40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,877) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That is correct and I made zero mention that you didn't like them.

I used the word you selected of "solid" in my communication with you. I will quote that question to you: "I am guessing that you are of the opinion that Hop Hunter and Torpedo are not "solid"?"

Cheers!

Ozzylizard and Tdizzle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.