New Sours from New Glarus Hint at More to Come

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,357) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

2. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Aspirant (276) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

3. Bay01

Bay01 Aspirant (278) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

An answer to many prayers, awesome.

4. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,494) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

5. Jerktookmyname

Jerktookmyname Initiate (0) May 31, 2007 Wisconsin

I can't believe this thread isn't already 20 deep with FIBs talking about border runs!

jRocco2021 likes this.
  6. jegross2

jegross2 Meyvn (1,210) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

7. sherm1016

sherm1016 Initiate (194) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Speaking of more to come... Anyone hear anything about an R&D release for this year's GTMW? I've asked a couple of times on Facebook, with little to no response.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  8. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

A f*ckin collship!!!!!! Hell yeah

9. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

Dan & Deb killin' it wild style, I can't wait to dump all my money down the NG coolship hole.

Ri0 likes this.
  10. jegross2

jegross2 Meyvn (1,210) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Didn't they announce no releases happening this year?

11. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I just wish that instead of these stupid $10/4pks they would make smaller batches, put them in 750's and double the price so the trade value would go up.....wait, no I don't, thank you NG!

12. FIB

FIB Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2013 Illinois

What time does Woodman's open? I'm in line already.

surfingbeast likes this.
  13. Benish

Benish Champion (861) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I was at the brewery last week. Man they are expanding the place.

14. sherm1016

Beer Trader

I have not heard one way or the other. Haven't seen anything on FB, and that seems to be their primary mode of communication.

15. LazerBeast

LazerBeast Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Wisconsin

If I could get sours from New Glarus year round and in six packs.....I would be the happiest man ever.

16. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Wisconsin

The fact that the brewery expansions seem to be focused around the specialty beers and sours is great news. Some sort of year round offering would be great to have, but I hope the packaging and pricing is similar the Thumbprint series and not the fruit beers.

17. Ri0

Beer Trader

I have a feeling that the fruit beers are packaged and priced the way they are because the fruit they use is expensive and brewing those beers is a challenge. If you read the story I linked above, Dan mentions how much work it was to brew the Strawbarb beer. I have a good feeling they will stay with the $10 4pks as long as they as it fits into their profit margin.

18. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

I was BS'ing with the one of the guys yesterday, it seems like the expansion is on both ends. All the main brewery expansion (Hilltop) is for the regulars and all the river expansion is for the thumbprint & 750's. No wood or wild yeasts at the hilltop from what a brewer there told me, but brewer may have been like a guy that cuts open a bag of grain.

Wisconsin likes this.
  19. mitchellandvanessa

mitchellandvanessa Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2012 Wisconsin

The expansion was to get all of the nasty invasive impossible to control bugs off of the main property. My understanding is anyone who was working in the 'lambic' area would have to go home, shower, and change before returning to do more work in another area. Great idea having a dedicated space for the beers us nerds want the most, while protecting the baseline product.

Ri0 likes this.
  20. Ri0

Beer Trader

It'd be terrible if the wild yeast accidentally contaminated some batches of Rasp Tart, Belgian Red, Serendipity, and Strawbarb. NG sour fruit beer would = infinite trade value! :eek:

21. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Wisconsin

If that's the case, then that is the biggest steal around. Most other breweries would put it in bomber and sell for $10-15 a bottle. Makes you wonder how bad people are being bent over for similar products at other breweries.

This also brings up the issue of trade value for these beers. I've never traded, but have thought about it. How are people trading the Wild Sour Ale? Price for quality it's hard to find anything similar in my opinion.

22. Ri0

Beer Trader

As I mentioned in a previous thread, you can thank Spotted Cow and all the Wisconsinites that drink it to help keep the prices down for us beer geeks. I'm never hard on anyone that drinks spotted cow. That is the NG cash cow.

As for trading, I just keep it $4$ because I'm nice and love to share it. :) Find some awesome BAs to trade with and they will be so happy that you'll get some nice returns.

23. sherm1016

Beer Trader

I thought all of the usual suspects (lacto, pedio, brett, etc.) lived inside the oak foeders used to make the NG Fruit beers, but that the beers were pasteurized before bottling/kegging. Perhaps I'm mistaken though.

Imagine if last year's R&D Sour Ale sat on some fruit. Now that would be tasty.

24. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (351) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Mhmm fruit flavored vinegar lol

25. Ri0

Beer Trader

That's it, I'm going to blend some some of the Sour Wild with these fruit beers. I just have to know what it will taste like!

26. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,494) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Please report back with your findings ASAP

27. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Meyvn (1,090) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

Funny you mention that. Last year at the Friday (?) R&D Sour Ale release prior to the GTOMW, Lansman opened up a bottle of 1996 Wisconsin Belgian Red with Dan Carey (and shared with a bunch of folks who were mingling). Dan had a brewery worker grab some sanitized containers to culture some yeast.

That was also the "funkiest" batch of Belgian Red I had ever tried.

Cheers!

28. Ri0

Beer Trader

29. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (351) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

NG Berliner weisse plus any NG fruit beer equals awesome. I'm sure with wild sour ale you'd have similar results.

30. Ri0

Beer Trader

Here we go. I'll try the Strawbarb another night.
    [​IMG]
    One the left is Raspberry Wild Sour. To your right is Berliner Raspberry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pk18 likes this.
  31. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,258) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thats an awesome idea! I think I am going to have to try that out!!!

Ri0 likes this.
  32. Ri0

Beer Trader

I'm still drinking it, lol. Not high really high in ABV, but it is a lot of fruit and sour beer to drink by myself. I recommend sharing with someone.

33. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,400) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

If New Glarus actually does something to top themselves, my head might explode.

34. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (185) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

your head will be exploding soon with the planned expansion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.