Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

New to Boulder - how does Crooked Stave work?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by eawolff99, May 22, 2013.

1. eawolff99

Beer Trader

I just moved to the area - have traded for and had on tap lots of CS - but now that I'm here, all I see are their regulars on the shelf - I know about their membership group and gong show WWBV limited release - but how do I get access to their non-standard offerings? Do they pretty much exclusively just brew for 300 people (or whatever the number of members of the society)?

Thanks! Also, ISO if anyone is interested in my Gots :)

2. poonamibaxter

Beer Trader

You better be posting this from Backcountry Pizza while drinking raspberry surette.

Their standard offerings are available at good liquor stores and the tap room. The non standard stuff is through cellar reserve for bottles and occasionally on tap at the tap room or other places.

3. eawolff99

Beer Trader

My wife and I love BC pizza. We are struggling a bit tonight because we opened an Abner growler and then Ephraim....uff...too much beer for a Tuesday! I still don't get why only the members get all the beer :)

4. alexipa

Beer Trader

Yeeep. This is the only place I've gotten the hard to find CS. Then again, I don't like trying too hard.

5. Mebuzzard

No worries, just pour it down the drain and hear a bunch of beer geek hearts break at once :confused:

6. forgetfu

Beer Trader

Members don't get all of the beer. Though they do get some interesting one-offs. The cellar reserve members certainly helped provide the brewery with funding to grow and expand their barrel and experimental program.

That said... most of the speciality releases are actually draft only batches that are available at the brewery. There is almost always something unique that is only ever available on tap (autumn surette, cellar blend #1, the cuvaison's, the good glory's, one-off experimental dry-hop varients, etc.). These don't go to members. Also, most of the beers that do go to members are also served on tap as well.

Additionally, plenty of beers have been available to non-members in bottles (blackberry petite sour, nightmare on brett bourbon, both hop savant dry-hop varients, batch 1, wwb*, origins, etc). Some of these bottles have only been sold out of the brewery and did not hit distribution. Others went to very limited distribution depending on what was left. Your best bet is to spend a lot of time onsite.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe