New to kegging, pressure relief valve leaking

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by TastyAdventure, Feb 1, 2016.

1. TastyAdventure

TastyAdventure Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Kentucky

As soon as I turn on the CO2, my pressure relief valve starts shooting out air. I can push on it with my finger and it stops. The gauge only reads about 12 psi, and I've turned the knob in the front as far as it will go.

What am I missing?

2. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (434) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I'm guessing you're talking about a ball lock pull-to-release PRV. To be sure; is the ring in the down (lower) or closed position? Give it a good jiggle (quarter-turn) to make sure it is seated. If still leaking try to tighten with pliers (carefully). If still leaking I would swap out with another PRV to make sure it's the valve that is defective. Replacement cost is under ten bucks.

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,248) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Do you by chance have anything suspended inside the keg from the underside of the keg lid? Like maybe a sack of dry hops on a string tied to a SS hose clamp? I have had some past issues with the extra string/floss dangling and getting sucked into the PRV when burping my keg. Causes the PRV to stay open all the time. Have to remove the keg lid, pull the floss out, cut it off, and then reseat the lid and burp again.

4. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,051) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've had an issue before where the plastic threads of the PRV didn't align with the metal threads on the lid and the PRV whole I was screwing it into place and it kind of just made its own course. Then it didn't hold pressure till I got the threading right. You would have probably realized though if this is what happened to you.

And by the way, I just shake my head every time I see the replacement cost of those PRVs at my LHBS. That pretty much goes for any lid related part, save the o-rings.

5. TastyAdventure

Sorry guys I forgot to specify: it's the PRV on the REGULATOR, not the keg

6. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (118) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I had a similar problem with a cheap regulator. Take the valve off and check out the mechanicals. Or put a plug on it. Shouldn't really need it if you have pros on the kegs

7. Seany

Seany Initiate (155) Sep 27, 2005 Quebec (Canada)

Same happened to me. Took the valve apart. There is a black rubber seal, flipped it over and issue solved. Been good for about 2 years since. Be careful, very small parts inside, that are hard to locate once dropped on the floor, obviously speaking from experience!! Good luck.

PortLargo likes this.
  8. TastyAdventure

Just did this. It did not work :/

9. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (711) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Just be glad you have a prv on your regulator...I have several that don't...But the ones that don't, work fine anyway :slight_smile:

Hint: take it off and plug it. Caveat: not cleared with OSHA :slight_smile:

10. Seany

Sorry to hear that. Then, as others have said, plug it up.

11. TastyAdventure

What do you mean by "pros"?

12. TastyAdventure

How? I can't find any thing online about this

13. chavinparty

Autocorrected prv

14. chavinparty

I would think the hardware store could sell you an end stop if you brought in the regulator. Not positive

15. Seany

Unscrew the relief valve and replace it with a 1/4" NPT plug from any hardware store. Or buy a new PRV. I think they are around 10-15$